Start by marking “Bradbury Thirteen” as Want to Read:
Bradbury Thirteen

Bradbury Thirteen

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

This collection of short stories includes: "A Sound of Thunder," in which hunting enthusiasts get the chance of a lifetime: travel back in time to bag a Tyrannosaurus Rex. "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed": Harry is resigned to living on Mars for a while, until a nuclear war on Earth strands the settlers forever. In "The Happiness Machine" an old man builds a machine meant

Audio CD, 6 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Bradbury Thirteen, please sign up.

Lyn
Oct 15, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of classic Bradbury short stories, highlighted by "The Veldt" and "The Wind".

This was actually not an audiobook narration but a production, with a full cast, sound effects and music and the stories were abridged. At best, it was like a sophisticated Twilight Zone tour, but if anything, it was over produced.

Still, one cannot beat Bradbury for telling a good story. As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate him more. He does not write "Hard science fiction" but poetic and approa
Charlene
Aug 10, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
4.5 stars!

I enjoyed this collection of thirteen radio plays based on the short stories of Ray Bradbury.

Some of them were eerily prescient like The Veldt, which dealt with the difficulties of parenting in this new world of technology. Others were just plain fun, like The Wind or The Sound of Thunder.

The cast of the radio plays were all different, but all were talented and there wasn't a bad play in the bunch.

Best of all is that I was able to download this from my local library for free! If this
Abeer Hoque
I downloaded the audiobook "Bradbury Thirteen" (adapted from short stories by Ray Bradbury), expecting the usual single narrated voice to tell me stories while I went running. Instead, it was the audio version of a technicolour cinematic experience. With over a dozen performers and gorgeous original music, each of my next 13 runs were infused with old time voices, space voyages, aliens, dinosaurs, killers, and ghosts, and all manner of 50s style characters: gee whiz kids, upright astronauts, sas ...more
Mindy
Mar 02, 2013 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing better than short stories by Ray Bradbury is those same stories read in convincing voices with sinister music playing in the background. Although this was produced in 1984 at Brigham Young, it was reminiscent of all those old-time radio programs I used to listen to with my grandmother. The only things missing were intermittent ads claiming that Pall Mall was preferred by nine out of ten physicians.
Pat Rolston
This is not typically Ray Bradbury and hence the marginal rating. I am reviewing the book CD which was done in old radio production fashion and while that format is fine the material is not edited in a manner I enjoyed. In some cases the basic story line is lacking which is again totally atypical of anything done by Bradbury. There are many more great CDs of his work such as The Illustrated Man or other anthologies that I have always rated 4 or 5 CD or book form. This is one that I can say surpr ...more
Mike
Sep 16, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories... that were "adapted" & "dramatized". Call me plain-vanilla and boring, but I like my audiobooks to sound like "books" specifically, to sound like they are being read in my head. My internal voice doesn't add music and sound effects, or change voices for each character.
Ah, well.
William Winkle
Nov 05, 2012 William Winkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adapted collection of Ray Bradbury tales from the ‘50s and ’60s. In fact, the first Short Shorts review I ever did, for Bradbury’s “The Veldt,” is in this collection. There are time traveling hunters who have an unfortunate meeting with a T. Rex, a machine just guaranteed to make anyone happy…until it doesn’t, a team that makes supposedly first contact with a new planet one day too late, and more – thirteen stories total. NPR ended up pouring $120,000 into making this into a fully cas ...more
sabisteb
May 01, 2012 sabisteb rated it it was amazing
13 außergewöhnliche Geschichten, die vom amerikanischen Radio in den 80er Jahren vertont wurde und 1984 den George Foster Peabody award gewannen. Jede Geschichte ist einzigartig. Teils sind sie fies, teils machen sie Nachdenklich, aber jede hat eine Botschaft. So sollte Science Fiction sein. Bradbury legt keinen Wert auf Technische Details, es gibt kein Tech Blabla, wie man das von der heutigen Sci-Fi kennt. Teilweise ist die Wissenschaft dahinter einfach nur falsch. So ist der Mars der Familie ...more
Hamster
This was my first taste of Bradbury and I was pleasantly surprised. Although a few of the stories were tedious (I started skipping near the end) many of them had my complete attention. Especially the lady screaming in the grave... though it was totally contrived, my body was tense throughout the entire thing. I loved the unabashedly Christian theme in The Man. I look forward to reading one of his novels.
Rancy Breece
Although I count Bradbury as one of my favorite writers I was disappointed in this audiobook version of 13 stories. Bradbury was a master at creating a story with a strong narrative line backed by excellent descriptions that fired my imagination, memorable characters and flights of imagination that thrilled me. Most of that is missing from this version of some of Bradbury's best all of which abandon the narrative and tell the stories only by the diaglogue of the characters instead, like radio pl ...more
Ryan
Sep 07, 2011 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It feels like sacrilege two only give 2 stars to Bradbury 13. I've always admired Ray Bradbury as a thinker and writer since I saw him speak a decade or so ago.

But this collection of audio short stories just wasn't enjoyable to listen to. I can't say if the blame lies in the writing or in the production. But I felt somewhat relieved when I finally pulled the sixth CD from my car radio.

Of course I understand they were written decades ago, but a classic story should feel authentic and timeless (l
Alan Joshua
Other than two of his classic short stories, I was disappointed with the other eleven. The sci-fi lacked panache. Technology was only mentioned with no description or rationale. Other stories were horror and caused me to speed through them, stopping only occasionally for more of the same.
The characters lacked depth.
Being an audio, there was no exposition.
In all, a disappointing experience from the author of Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles.
Arielle
Mar 22, 2014 Arielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used to listen to these in my art class in middle school. Very entertaining then and thought provoking now as an adult. It is very fascinating to compare these 13 short stories to Dandelion Wine--semi autobiographical work by Bradbury.
Karl
Aug 23, 2014 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this set of radio dramas. With a pair of headphones I can close my eyes and get lost in the sounds and the pictures in my head. Well worth the time to listen.
Margot
Nov 23, 2011 Margot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audio-books, 2011
Bradbury Thirteen is an audio collection of Bradbury's short stories adapted for the radio--i.e., all is told through dialogue. The stories are complete with a different actor for each character and abundant sound effects and background noises. I found this collection extremely enjoyable to listen to. It's a very quick listen, suspenseful, and Bradbury really knows how to hook you into a story, even when things don't usually end up how you expect. There were a few stories in the collection that ...more
Nicole Hersh
He stories were entertaining on my long car drive, but got very repetitive.
Rebekah Wilder
Aug 28, 2014 Rebekah Wilder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too terrifying and dramatic for me!
Mtujohn
Interesting fun read, but dated
Andrea
This one gets a solid “eh” from me. While it includes one of my favorite stories of all time, “The Veldt”, many of the stories in this radio drama collection feel dated or lack the emotional punch I am used from Bradbury stories. Some have some interesting ideas but they weren’t explored in an engaging way. The radio drama aspect was interesting, but the sound effects and music sometimes detracted from the narrative. All in all, I think I would have preferred to just read these.
Jim
Feb 23, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate. I read the stories years ago and so there was nothing new here, but the dramatic production is splendid and I suppose if the stories had been new to me I would have enjoyed them more than I did. Jeez, Bradbury was very prolific. Why do they run out the same ten to twenty stories every time? Is there any literate person year who hasn't read The Sound of Thunder? Also the cop out (non-Bradbury) ending of The Ravine is such a disappointment.
Rachel Eldridge
Ray Bradbury wrote my favorite short stories.
Brittany
Oct 04, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Listening to this collection of stories definitely kept me awake on my commute home from school. I actually remember reading some of these short stories in a science fiction class I took in high school. Ray Bradbury is definitely the core author that made me love the science fiction genre. I love Bradbury's imaginative concepts and I thought the dramatization was wonderful in each of his stories. I would definitely give this a second listen!
Christine
Dec 11, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cool! If you love old sci fi short stories. The really whimsical imaginative things they used to come up with are so fun. It's a lot like the kind of stories you would have found in the old Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock. I definitely loved these, and I also noticed some of the stories had very definite political & religious leanings which I found kind of odd but interesting as well.
Sariene
Not all of the stories in this collection are exactly Bradbury's best work, but pretty good nonetheless. I'm not a huge fan of the short story format but I enjoyed these for the most part. Slightly hokey but I think that's a given for stories this old. They age better than many, and where they don't it's good for a laugh at least. Overall, this collection kept me pretty well entertained.
sid
Oct 23, 2012 sid rated it really liked it
This isn't so much a book, since it consists of radio play performances of these stories, as adapted by Bradbury himself. I love that it is done in this style, with the sound effects, because it reminds me of listening to the radio in my (much) younger days.

Caution: They did mix some of the explosive sound effects FAR TOO LOUD, which is a bit overwhelming in the car...
Nate
Dec 07, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to this while taking a long trip yesterday made it feel like I had traveled to the past and got to hear one of those old radio shows. 'Bradbury 13' made an otherwise boring drive a bit more enjoyable. Some of the stories weren't so good, some were good, and some were really fun.
Tina
Jul 13, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
An interesting collection of Bradbury stories dramatized with a full cast. This is less an audio book and more 30 minute long radio plays. A few of the stories are less than wonderful but "the Ravine" is particularly suspenseful and creepy.
Olgalijo
Dec 30, 2012 Olgalijo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an audiobook adaptation of some of Bradbury's short stories, so if you want to listen to the exact way in which Bradbury wwrote them, don't choose this baby. On the other hand I really enjoyed the old time radio story style.
Jillian
All of the concepts are interesting. Some are executed well ("Dark They Were and Golden Eyed," "The Veldt," "Here There Be Tygers"), some are not ("The Screaming Woman," "Night Call, Collect"), and most are somewhere in between.
Anthony
Apr 19, 2012 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Ray Bradbury short stories. All stories were engaging and worth reading. Many of them were the classic hard science fiction, great for anyone who likes old science fiction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection
  • The Neil Gaiman Audio Collection CD
  • Blood Thirst: 100 Years of Vampire Fiction
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Complete Radio Series (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1-5)
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Holiday Classics
  • The Roots of Evil (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #4)
  • Laddertop, Volume 1
  • Tip of the Tongue (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #5)
  • Searoad
  • Colony
  • Exhalation
  • One for the Trouble: Book Slam Volume 1
  • The Nameless City (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #2)
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • Winner Take Nothing
  • Vector Borne
  • Infidelities: Stories of War and Lust
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...