Start by marking “The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit” as Want to Read:
The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit

The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit

ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING YOUR NOVEL PUBLISHED WITH THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND GUIDE

Writers often spend years perfecting their first novel--then hit a dead end when it comes to getting it published. Learning to market your novel will make it stand out from the thousands of other books clamoring for the attention of an ever shrinking number of publishers.

In this book, Eliza
Published December 3rd 2002 by Perigee Books (first published October 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit

David Katzman
Jun 14, 2010 David Katzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers who seek to be published
Shelves: about-publishing
Selling your novel to an agent or a publisher is not the fun part of being an author. It’s about strategy. It’s about condensing your entire book into a page. It’s about summarizing the highlights. It’s about categorizing your book into a genre so that an editor or agent will “get it” without having to read it. All in all, it can feel degrading. I know that my book is a living thing all its own. A multi-faceted meme, a catalyst that interacts with each mind in a different way (some with love, so ...more
Anne
Jun 02, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer to seeking a home for your novels. Lots of examples of queries and synopses, with notes on what makes them effective, or not. Also, tribulation and success stories at the end of each chapter and a good section on what questions you should ask prospective agents.
Sara
Sep 04, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, on-writing
As usual, I won't use a whole lot of time reviewing a non-fiction book. However, I did find this book very helpful and specific, and the layout is pretty good for reference purposes. I only found a couple faults with Lyon's book. The first was that it's outdated by a few years. (It was published in 1997, when the Internet was still pretty young and emailing queries still seemed a bit too casual.) The second is, like a lot of people who teach and write on publishing, she favors her own methods ab ...more
Rose
I remember reading this while I was spending an afternoon in the library looking up writing books. I finished it in one sitting and appreciated how Lyon gives a coherent summary of how to market one's work once it's completed, including a ton of helpful examples on how to write good queries for publishers/agents. However, it does show its age and doesn't take into consideration the digital platform for marketing. I wish I could find a book that included some of the information that was in this b ...more
Brenda Clark Thomas
One of the better books I've read on this topic. I do wish the author would update the book, though. This one still talks about sending paper manuscripts and SASE envelopes! Still, I like how the book gives inside information and a marketing strategy. Many writing books do not get this specific. I learned a thing or two. This book was recommended by Robert Dugoni for his writers' retreat that I will be attending in October.
Ashley
Dec 29, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So you've written, rewritten, and rewritten. You've workshopped your manuscript at a conference. You've joined a writer's group and gotten feedback. You've let your manuscript cool off and rewritten it again. Now you think you're ready to sell it. This book is a crash course on getting an agent and more. Don't start querying until you've read i
Allie Penn
I've spent months reading this book off and on. It's very, very informative and has many query letter examples. I would advise taking some of the content with a grain of salt though, since it is from the 1990s, and the industry has changed quite a bit since then.
T.M. Carper
It wasn't as useful as I'd hoped. Some of the charts are good, but keep in mind that the book is dated. I don't recommend spending your money on purchasing it--if you're interested, borrow it from your local library. There are more helpful resources on the internet for query letters and synopses.
Tina
May 02, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and concise advice on what you need to do to get your book sold. The query letter and synopsis examples are incredibly helpful.
Stephanie
In serious need of updating (w/r/t how to research and submit to agents), but a good overview to start from. Proceed directly to Query Shark and QueryTracker thereafter.
Holly
This was good. I'll definitely want to re-read it when I have a finished manuscript ready to shove out of the nest.
Amy
Aug 10, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I ordered this to help me with the novel I am 'trying' to write. I have enjoyed it so far, and gives the information on the publishing world in simple terms.
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Julie Ferguson
Julie Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2008
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Andy Wagner
Andy Wagner rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Jon Riley
Jon Riley rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Mac MacCullough
Mac MacCullough rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2011
Tricia Schneider
Tricia Schneider rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Lisa Haneberg
Lisa Haneberg rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Tonii
Tonii rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2008
Timothy Ramsey
Timothy Ramsey rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
J. Greenwood
J. Greenwood rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2008
Tara Stone
Tara Stone rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2009
Heath Alberts
Heath Alberts rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2013