Start by marking “A Hive for the Honeybee, a (hc)” as Want to Read:
A Hive for the Honeybee, a (hc)

A Hive for the Honeybee, a (hc)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Published March 1st 1999 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Hive for the Honeybee, a, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hive for the Honeybee, a

Josh Stoll
Summary: This book is literally about a hive of bees, one of which, Thora, is beginning to question her community. As bees, there's a general mindset of hive over individual that pervades Thora's existence. She's joined by three other bees: Belle, Albert and Mo. Mo suggests diplomacy with the wasps, the bees' mortal enemies, with disastrous-- and unpredictable-- results.
Main characters:
Thora is an interesting character, in that she's one voice of dissent amidst a crowd of bees who not only appro
Gabby Kloppenburg
I read this book a long time ago, and it made me cry. I saw it on the shelf of the library in the children's section and I decided to pick it up again. I'm glad I did. Much older now than I used to be, I picked up on all sorts of subtleties in this book. Of course the Amazing commentary on gender roles, but also on entitlement, and even a bit on the value of art vs. utilitarian skills. I would recommend this to any middle grade reader, or older reader who wants a quick read that makes them think ...more
Fence
Thora is a newly hatched bee. The queen has just swarmed and those that are remaining in the hive are all awaiting their new queen. They continue to work and live, but their lack is always present. She, unlike most of the female worker bees, befriends some drones. They are full of their own importance. Drones do not work, they are fed when they demand it. Are groomed when they demand it. They see themselves as lords of the hive.

Thora’s friend Belle isn’t so sure. She just doesn’t see the point o
Nerija
Originally posted at Postcards from La-La Land.

I first read this book sometime in high school, and now re-read it for the From the Bowels of Obscurity Book Club (yes, I can hear all your inner 12-year-olds giggling at "bowels" ;-) )
. . . . .

I know. I know, guys. I hate bees. HAAAAATE. THEM. Ok, I’m being dramatic, but in all seriousness, long before I became allergic, the sight of a bee or wasp would put me in panicked flight mode.

These days I’m a leeettle calmer; my reaction to a bee in the hou
Rachel
This book is a hard book to review. There isn't really a problem in this story. It all starts with a three day old worker bee named Thora who is busy fanning the the hive to keep it cool. The hive is in the middle of separating, half staying and half going to a new place. Thora meets Belle, also a worker bee three days older than her. She also meets two drones Mo and Alfred. The four of them become friends and Mo and Alfred teach Thora and Belle how to dream. This book is about Thoras life and t ...more
Summreen
I picked this book up becuase i thought the cover was lovely. And the inside was lovely as well. The story is about a hive of bee's and the social going-ons in the hive. there are classes of bee's who are assigned different duties in the order of the hive. great commentary on our own social systems. Would be a great movie.....and, for the second book in a row, i got to the end and realised its for 'younger readers.' :-)
Emalee
The author was very scientifically accurate when she told how the hive worked, so it gave a very good picture as to how the hive operates. But she gave the bees personalities and feelings; made them more like people than bees, giving it an effect similar to that of Animal Farm. While you wonder at the amazing order, you're horrified at the brutality.
Sally
Not really what I expected, but an interesting idea. Small philosophical questions sprinkled throughout; a bit of poetry. I was slightly surprised at the ending. Makes me want to study bees. I might shelve it in the YA collections rather than JF.
Tasia
I remember reading this book and being struck with its bittersweet truth, and how something so remarkably strange could be so wonderful. It's one of those books that I reread every now and then, being unable to forget it.
Chiara (delicate eternity)
I read this book again, because I remember loving it when I was about eleven. The weird thing was, I remembered nothing of it and found it to be quite adult in nature. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading it again.
Helen
I liked it. It was a nice quick read that I got through in one day. I was slightly surprised when I started it because it was a little more adult than I expected (only a little). A quick read for all ages.
lowercase
an odd, endearing little book, with a poignant story that stays with you long after you have closed it and put it away.
Lauder
I adore this book, and it always makes me cry at the end! It is my relaxing day book! :)
Nestle
one of the few books i enjoyed in the 5th grade :) although i vaguely remember it now...
Megan Simmons
i love this book. it is about the honeybee building there home.
Sami
Sami marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Adelle
Adelle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015