Start by marking “Sailing to Byzantium” as Want to Read:
Sailing to Byzantium

Sailing to Byzantium

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

FIRST EDITION

The world's most distinguished author of the literature of the fantastic presents his most extraordinary stories of worlds lost and dreams fulfilled...

In his illustrious forty-five year career as a novelist and author of short fiction, Robert Silverberg has belonged in the company of the best writers of the 20th century. His writing has been compared to C

Published February 28th 1985 by Underwood-Miller

To ask other readers questions about Sailing to Byzantium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sailing to Byzantium

Lyn
Sep 26, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Silverberg’s 1985 collection of six award winning novellas ranks high on a list of excellent publications for this Grandmaster of the genre. His mastery of this short medium is akin to Ursula K. LeGuin.

Silverberg’s magnificent title novella, “Sailing to Byzantium” reminded me of his 1966 novel Son of Man (which I did not get or like) but done much better; in both he had an excellent concept, also reminiscent of Poul Anderson’s oddly misunderstood Harvest of Stars.

“Thomas the Proclaimer” i
Akemi G
Oct 26, 2015 Akemi G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
I love the first story, Sailing to Byzantium. The prose is elegant, and I like the ending, too. A few times during the reading, I had a sneaking suspicion that the plot might be quite predictable, and in part, it was, but I still like it. I love how the namesake poem by William Butler Yeats is used throughout the story. And it's a good love story. I'd say this is one of the best stories I've read this year.

The book contains 5 other stories:
Thomas the Proclaimer
Born With the Dead
Homefaring
We Are
George
Jun 14, 2015 George rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I only read the story "Sailing to Byzantium".

"Αρμενίζοντας για το Βυζάντιο", εκδόσεις Alien.

Πρόκειται για μια αρκετά ενδιαφέρουσα και πρωτότυπη νουβέλα, μείγμα φαντασίας και επιστημονικής φαντασίας. Ο Τσαρλς Φίλιπς είναι άνθρωπος του εικοστού αιώνα, που βρέθηκε ξαφνικά στον πεντηκοστό, σε μια Γη εντελώς διαφορετική από την δική του, όπου το φυσικό περιβάλλον έχει για τα καλά αλλοιωθεί και η γεωγραφία εντελώς αλλαχτεί. Μόνο πέντε πόλεις υπάρχουν ταυτόχρονα, πόλεις από διάφορες εποχές, οι οποίες δ
Greg Kerestan
Jan 29, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The day I graduated from eighth grade, most of my day was spent in study hall. I used this free period to go down to the library and grabbed a random sci-fi anthology. The first entry was the novella "Born with the Dead," and I read the first seventy-five pages before the free period ended and I went to the last math class of middle school. Twelve years later, I finally got to see how the story ends when I discovered this collection of six novellas by Robert Silverburg. Other than "We Are for th ...more
Doug
May 05, 2014 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A learned friend's new mission is to read Hugo/Nebula winners from the '70s. With that inspiration, I embarked on a journey to read some speculative fiction again. It's been some time since I've read fantasy/sci-fi -- I would actually put this in the fantasy category. This won a Nebula award in '84, so that sold me, plus I bought the "Tor double" edition with Gene Wolfe's Seven American Nights, another selling point. Browsing at the local used bookstore paid off again. $3.

But as to the story --
Spyros Blackfinch
It was an enjoyable story. I seriously doubt it can be called "science fiction", more like science fantasy. The atmosphere is spectacularly lyrical and the portrayal of historical (or not) cities very interesting although somewhat dreamy. Eventually the it's about a love story but I cant tell what message the author wants to pass on. Even though the main character wonders about his existence, his origins and what controls the world he ends up into, he does not really try to find out. As for the ...more
Fantasy Literature
I just finished listening to the audio version of Sailing to Byzantium. It was read convincingly by Tom Parker, who transported me in time along with Charles, the lead character. Charles is from New York City, and he is a twentieth-century man, a curiosity in the world of the story. His 1984 is long gone, yet he doesn't quite understand how he's been transported in time to the 50th century. The people of this time, the "citizens," will tell him very little actually. They consider Charles to be a ...more
François

Un receuil de nouvelles un peu ingégal, les premières sont pas super mirculeuses, surtout celles un peu mystiques (mais j'aime pas ca de base aussi).
Par contre y'a des idées très originales notamment sur les multiples personnalités dans un même corps toussa, c'est généeralement bien traité et pas cliché.
Sinon pas mal de nouvelles sur le thème du permier contact avec les extraterrestre, la c'est plus inégal mais certaines sont bien réussies.
La nouvelle éponyme est pas la meilleure mais par contr
Patrick
For the first three quarters I was worried that it would be slow and disappointed once I reached a critical twist I was quite pleased. Overall it was an enjoyable read even if it took a while to get to The point, the ending this a little to be desired though.
Lisa Nelson
Apr 30, 2016 Lisa Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A deeply involving far future tale about a man-out-of-time and the woman he loves. Sweetly poignant.
Ranmaru
May 26, 2014 Ranmaru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: calibre-test
In 'Sailing to Byzantium' Silverberg imagines a very distant future in which the greatest joy of the remaining humans is recreating historic cities and visiting them. Phillips, a man from 1984, finds himself in this future and falls in love.
The story starts quite slow and gets very hard to read due to it's constant listings of cities, sights and cities again. When you reach the second half though, the pace changes and it get's a very enjoyable read.
Two stars for the first half, four stars for t
Abdullah Khalil
May 07, 2014 Abdullah Khalil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Titular story is marvelous --- worth the price of the collection in-it-of-itself.
yangsta
Mar 12, 2015 yangsta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW
Alissa Thorne
An entertaining scifi novelette with existential themes. Just about the perfect length for the story--it takes some time to puzzle out the world, throws you a quick twist, then wraps up nicely. Recommended if you're looking for something more substantive than a podcast but not ready to dive into a whole book.

Note: This review is for the single short story "Sailing to Byzantium", not the entire collection included in this listing.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Ακόμα μια φορά προσπαθώ με ανοιχτό μυαλό να απολαύσω τον Σίλβερμπεργκ. Ακόμα μια φορά επιβεβαιώνεται η άποψή μου ότι είναι ο πιο βαρετός συγγραφέας εφ που έχω διαβάσει ποτέ. Τελειώνω τα βιβλία του μόνο και μόνο γιατί είναι μικροσκοπικά (των 100 σελίδων) κι επίσης επειδή η ιστορία που περιγράφουν είναι καταπληκτική. Εξ ου και τα 4 αστέρια, παρά τη βαρεμάρα που με δέρνει.
Luc
This story opens on a surprising prospect of a stranger in paradise, that most resembles the story of Shangri-la. Nothing eventful in the first 20 pages. It is like a whimsical travelogue of the Alexandria Quartet, which I found difficult to absorb. Byzantium stays more on the surface and hasn't got too philosophical as yet. More to come..
Ken
Mar 28, 2010 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for whatever reasons, Silverberg excels at novella-length writing. He won more awards for his novellas more than any others.

all 5 novellas in this collection are excellent (the Secret Sharer needs a while to get into, but once you're past 1/2 way, the story makes more sense)

Highly recommended.

Jamie
Dec 14, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of novellas by Silverburg. This was an uneven collection, while I enjoyed two of the novellas the others weren't as good in my opinion. I guess I'm not as caught up by Silverburg's writing style as some are.
Leslie
Jul 29, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderfully unique sci-fi stories. Great writing. Silverberg never disappoints.
These are more novellas than stories. I liked the first two and the last one. I found numbers three and four to be not as much fun.
SR
These are amazing. Just a solid, beautiful collection. It's the first Silverberg I've read; I can't wait to get more.
Fred Gannett
Wow - a great read. Medium length stories that demo Mr. Silverberg awesome talent.
Philip Tha- B. Toole
Apr 12, 2011 Philip Tha- B. Toole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Read the first story titled after this collection = fantastic!!
Rick
Sep 11, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Mysertious future earth consisting of just five artificial cities.
Robert
Jun 16, 2007 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t get excited about any of the stories.
Timothy Leitzke
Timothy Leitzke marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Pandzia
Pandzia marked it as to-read
Jaroslaw Kotarski
Jaroslaw Kotarski rated it liked it
Brittany Shears
Brittany Shears marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • Quest of the Three Worlds
  • The Traveler
  • Jack of Shadows
  • The Unveiling
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...