Start by marking “Being Mrs. Alcott” as Want to Read:
Being Mrs. Alcott

Being Mrs. Alcott

A Cape Cod housewife deals secretly with an illness and confronts losing the home that has been the cornerstone of her family life.
Published October 15th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Being Mrs. Alcott, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Mrs. Alcott

Jude
Jul 16, 2009 Jude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lmarotta
Nov 07, 2007 Lmarotta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. The main character and her family stay with you for awhile. The characters are complex, you thing you know them and they do something that shows another side to them. I could not put it down. The setting is New England and involves a white anglosaxon family and their culture that has provided for them emotionally, socially and financially. I could compare it to a modern day "gone with the Wind" type story.
Heather
Nov 25, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. It was very well written and the story was very engaging. A few times when I was reading it at lunch, I would look down at my watch and just barely make it back from lunch on time. Definitely the sign of a great book. I will say that it is pretty melancholy, so probably not a good read if you're sad. But, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a well-written, character-driven story about a woman trying to find her place in an ever-changing world.
Leslie
Mar 09, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ladies
I finished the book finally! As usual I felt sorry it had to end, but I was happy with the ending the writer chose. A good book for women...good insight to married women who stuggle with their own identity.
The Alcotts are one of those families that look picture perfect on the outside, and struggle with dysfunction like everyone else.
I wish I knew Mrs. Alcott even though I couldn't relate to her in so many ways...a good woman.
Anne
Aug 24, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My primary issue with this book was that I couldn't understand why this woman was so astonishingly passive. I couldn't quite pin it on the era she grew up in or her childhood. I will say I felt surprisingly conflicted about her 'decision' not to have her medical condition evaluated. On one hand, it represented her usual avoidance coping mechanism. On the other hand, deciding to have it checked out would represent yet another decision made by someone else (her husband and/or her doctor).
Victoria
Aug 15, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It took the simple life of a woman and her family and created a wonderful story. Grace isn't too much of a likable character, yet the novel still keeps the readers attention. And I still believe Grace is an interesting character who grows during the novel. I would definitely recommend it. It completely exceeded my expectations.
Arlene
Oct 10, 2012 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I enjoyed this book about a woman who lived her life for others. The book takes place over a span of 40 years and deals with marriage, children, untimely deaths and betrayal. Ms Geary's novel makes one stop to think about how quickly our life goes by and then it is over.
Melissa
Sep 30, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I did not particularly care for the main character, I was intrigued by her story and could not put this book down. The story made take a look at my own life... how I may be taking some things for granted and letting time slip by. This one stuck with me.
Norma
Sep 23, 2009 Norma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a woman that basically gave all of herself to her family. She went through a very tragic event but, she kept going. I didn't like the end, it left you wondering what was going to happen to Mrs. Alcott.
Joe Mossa
Sep 09, 2009 Joe Mossa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

this is one of my fav books of all times. it is down to earth,realistic,very much like our lives. i think deep down i am an old softy. i am about to read stieg larsson s new book cause he s no 5 on the best seller list. his book is super violent and im reading it to keep up with readers..sad me.
Jen9876
Just picked this out of the bargain bin for a buck at school. An okay read. Now isn't that a stellar recommendation.
Heather
Good story, sad sad ending. I got angry that it took her so long to find and use her voice.
Beth
I enjoyed this book.....very easy read, very simple story about a woman who was the perfect wife in the perfect marriage...or so it seems. Just an easy reading story....
Valerie Quest
Wht the heck was that ending???
Candy
Aug 03, 2009 Candy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining.
Cindy
Mar 22, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. :)
Judy Schneider
Oct 10, 2013 Judy Schneider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REally enjoyed this book
Tessa
Aug 08, 2011 Tessa rated it liked it
Examines the role of wife and what is appropriate in a given time period.
Kyna Kindell
Kyna Kindell rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2013
Carla Cable
Carla Cable rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Nancy O'Neill
Nancy O'Neill rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Belysa27
Belysa27 rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Linda Bryant
Linda Bryant rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Amanda Webster
May 17, 2015 Amanda Webster rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a snore.
Joemmama
Joemmama rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2010
DeAnne
DeAnne rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2008