Start by marking “G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds” as Want to Read:
G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds

G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  22 reviews
From Max Brooks, New York Times bestselling author of World War Z and masterful artists Howard Chaykin and Antonio Fuso comes the next generation of G.I. JOE and COBRA. "I'm a natural tracker, and it's got NOTHING to do with my heritage. For me tracking's not a gift, it's a curse." - SPIRIT "Some fight for God, some fight for country. I fight for cash, and don't you DARE j ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Idea & Design Works Llc

To ask other readers questions about G.I. Joe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G.I. Joe

Becky
I never really watched or played with G.I. Joe as a kid - that was more my brother's thing. (Though 4 year old me did have a Saturday morning routine to watch He-Man with my dad. I called it "Me-Man", he called it "He-Man and the Bastards of the Universe" which I would promptly correct and scold him for getting wrong. Side story.)

Anyway... I never got into the whole G.I. Joe thing, but when I saw this at my local store, and saw that it was by Max Brooks, I had to get it. I mean, I just really li
zxvasdf
Growing up,I missed the GI Joe craze so I wasn't able to indulge in the salt sweet reminiscences of my slightly older friends. My only exposure was minimal viewings of the TV show, and half-hearted manipulations of the action figures. Essentially, I had no background information on the GI Joe franchise nor did I bother to look it up.

This book is a great introduction to the franchise. Max Brooks' brilliant treatment of each character, good or evil, reveals an unique side to each that even the un
Gazbot
good concept, could have been done better. Art was inconsistent.
Budd
I was able to pick up the hardcover trade of G.I. Joe: Hearts and Minds when Borders was in their final throws for about $3 after tax. Yes true believers, for the price of a single issue, I got the hardcover trade. As of writing Amazon has an edition for $10.

This book was penned by Max Brooks. Yes, that Max Brooks. It covers different members of Cobra and Joe singularly. I think each issue of the comic was split in two and covered two characters. It goes into the character's motivations or back
Jesse
A book of ultra-realistic character profiles of G.I. Joe and Cobra operatives. The premise is fantastic and the writing is not bad. As a book its the not the greatest bit of narrative, as its mostly a series of background stories, that don't lend well to fully flesh out narratives. That having been said, if you loved G.I.Joe growing up and then got older and wished there was a G.I.Joe for big boys and girls, well rejoice cause its here! These stories about the hearts and minds of good guys and b ...more
Pete
I only read this because I love Max Brooks and his book World War Z. I also played with G.I. Joe non-stop as a kid and read all of the comic books back in the 80's. This was a mixed bag, some good some not so good. Maybe I am too old for G.I. Joe anymore.
Mark
Having never read World War Z or anything else by Max Brooks before, my interest was very high in his take on G.I. Joe comics. As somebody who grew up on the cheesy animated G.I. Joe, the less kid-friendly themes in the comics were a welcome change for more adult readers. As a comic for adult fan-boys who grew up loving G.I. Joe, "Hearts and Minds" gives a nuanced look into the origins, mentalities and motivations of beloved heroes and villains. Updated to reflect on modern events, "Hearts and M ...more
Anthony
Good stuff. Basically a group of character studies. I liked the recruits story best.
Virgil
The book is awesome!
Cobra is evil.
G.I. Joe is heroic yet fragile.
Robert

Single-Character one-shots - uniformly excellent.
Jerome
I picked this one up because as a kid I was a big fan of Larry Hama's G.I. Joe series for Marvel, and was kind of surprised to see Max Brooks name on the cover. The concept is also an interesting one: a series of vignettes that probe the deeper motivations of the various characters in the G.I. Joe universe. As other reviewers have pointed out, some work, some don't. Also, the art was a inconsistent. All said, not a bad way to kill a lunch hour at the local book store.
Ryan Haupt
Max Brooks is consistent in his ability to put himself into the mind (and I suppose also the heart) of each character covered in the volume. I'm not the biggest fan of modern Chaykin but the other artist, Antonio Fuso, was great! Definitely worth a read, but I may have lacked enough familiarity with the characters to get as much out of it as a die hard could.
JM
Excellent! When the original GI Joe dropped, I was just a kid full of American pride. Being a solider and reading Brooks perspective of GI Joe was very invigorating! He highlights not just the life of the soldier (JOE) but the mercenary (Cobra). Ironically the lives of the players can be applicable to either side.
Tabatha
The art in this graphic novel is superb. The storyline is a little boring, but that might be due to Max Brooks being more of a zombie guy than a G.I. Joe guy, even though he loved G.I. Joe his entire life. I liked Tripwire's storyline the best.
T.J. Blackburn
Collects IDW's GI Joe Season 1: Hearts & Minds (Mini-Series) 1-5.

Always a great fun and quick read. I think I've become more fond of IDW's JoeVerse than that of Marvels.

2011 April - reread # 2: preparation for IDW Season 2.
Diver Diggs
This book is wrought with nestalgia and happiness. The individual stories are inteligent and thoughtfull. It doesn't hurt Max Brooks personally inscribed it to me. Best Comicon Ever.
Jacob
Public library copy.

There were 10 vignettes featuring various Joes and Cobra; some were really good character studies, particularly the one's drawn by Howard Chaykin.
Guillermo
Max Brooks gives us a deeper insight of the members of GI Joe and Cobra. The man has a way with words the way his father has a way with comedy. Must read for any fan.
Jim
Was expecting more of a story, but turned out to be backstory. Kind of a teaser for whatever will be coming, I expect.
Susan
I thought this was going to be an actual story rather than a string of vignettes.
Craig
wouldve expected more from Max Brooks, but some good moments...
Peter
Great little stories about characters from G.I. Joe.
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Jeremy A
Jeremy A marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Kylemb
Kylemb marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Iva Barbaric
Iva Barbaric marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
  • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Volume 2
  • American Flagg!: Definitive Collection
  • Spock Reflections
  • Pinocchio Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • Mystery Society
  • Megahex
  • Doctor Who: Through Time and Space
  • Who is Jake Ellis? (...Jake Ellis?, #1)
  • Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon
  • Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond
  • Afterlife with Archie Book 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • Captain America and Bucky: Old Wounds
  • Cowboys and Aliens
  • Mouse Guard, Labyrinth and Other Stories (Free Comic Book Day 2012)
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 2
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • Truth: Red, White, and Black
  • Beep and Bah
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.
More about Max Brooks...
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks The Essential Max Brooks: World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide The Harlem Hellfighters