Start by marking “The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor Archives Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor Archives Volume 1

The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor Archives Volume 1 (Doctor Spektor)

First appearing in 1972, the adventurous and wily Doctor Adam Spektor is an occult detective and monster hunter who travels the world over in search of the supernatural, aided by a Native American assistant, Lakota Rainflower.
Published October 1st 2010 by Dark Horse Comics

Be the first to ask a question about The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor Archives Volume 1

Michael
Nov 04, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Growing up, Gold Key Comics were a bit mysterious to me since they often didn’t credit the writers and artists. And to my untrained eye, the drawing style seemed similar throughout all the various titles: Grimm’s Ghost Stories, Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery, UFO Flying Saucers, Turok Son of Stone, Magnus, etc. I had this idea that maybe there was this one guy churning out all those comics. I eventually realized this wasn’t the case, however I was still in the dark about the creators. So, one of ...more
Rick
Nov 16, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
Originally conceived as a story host à la The Crypt Keeper for Gold Key's Mystery Comics Digest and Golden Comics Digest, Doctor Spektor proved popular enough to warrant his own series. Co-creator Donald Glut decided to pursue a different tack with the eponymous title. Rather than regulating him to the role of storyteller, The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor followed the titular character and his secretary Lakota Rainflower, a Sioux Indian, on their amazing encounters with vampires, mummies, ghos ...more
Orrin Grey
Mar 08, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I had some of these when I was a kid. Also some Dagar and Tragg comics, which I never thought about being by the same guys, though they obviously were. I remember liking the art, and I still like the art, and this is an incredibly cool-looking collection that Dark Horse has put out. The stories, though, are pretty typical for this sort of thing. Which is not to say that they're not fun--there are, after all, living skeletons and such--but, y'know, they're not mind-blowing.

Maybe the best part of
Ryan
Mar 30, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
Started out very bland, but the writing seems to get more interesting the further you read. Wasn't so sure about the loose art at first, but it grew on me. Although the lines are loose, the level of detail and the panel size are both greater than similar work done at the same time. A couple of stories did stand out and I look forward to any improvements of the next volumes.
Paul McNamee
Mar 01, 2014 Paul McNamee rated it liked it
Fun throwback. I had one issue when I was a kid. Fun to catch up.
Ben
Feb 08, 2014 Ben rated it liked it
It's hard not to compare this to other, better supernatural -anthology comics, but there was just enough potential in the art and cheesy stories to keep me reading. Also, the non-Spektor tales were often more imaginative and the last adventure in volume one was an improvement over earlier capers.
Matt
Mar 08, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Glut's goofy, G-rated horror adventures of occult specialist Adam Spektor and his lovely Native American assistant Lakota Rainflower are beautifully rendered by Jesse Santos. If you like Harryhausen creatures and Charlton horror, this is for you.
Matthew
"Funktastically frightening" (TM)
Oh my did these have a wonderfully 70s cheese aspect to them.
Carlos Castano
Carlos Castano marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Neil Sarver
Neil Sarver marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Austin Modern
Austin Modern rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
India
India marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Wes Long
Wes Long rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ronald Clarke
Ronald Clarke marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Rickster Locuson
Rickster Locuson rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Angela Taylor
Angela Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Al
Al rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Shane Green
Shane Green rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Brook
Brook marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
20034
DONALD F. GLUT has been professionally active in both the entertainment and publishing industries since 1966.

Born in Pecos, Texas, Don grew up in Chicago, IL. At age nine, already bitten by the film-making “bug,” he made Diplodocus at Large, the first of 41 amateur movies featuring dinosaurs, human monsters (Frankenstein’s Monster, Teenage Werewolf, etc.) and superheroes (Spider-Man, Captain Marv
More about Donald F. Glut...

Doctor Spektor (5 books)