Start by marking “Lily White Rose Red: Grey Randall, Private Dick Casefile #1” as Want to Read:
Lily White Rose Red: Grey Randall, Private Dick Casefile #1

Lily White Rose Red: Grey Randall, Private Dick Casefile #1

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Meet Grey Randall, a hard-boiled detective whose sense of humor makes it hard for him to stay strictly noir. It's 1948 in Las Vegas—the newborn Sin City—and he's just landed his first murder case. He's more at ease among the lowlifes, but his new client, a beautiful, wealthy woman, a real femme fatale, moves in the upper crust of society.

Grey's hot on the trail of a killer
Published June 18th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeThe Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
249th out of 508 books — 914 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesSempre by J.M. DarhowerGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Pulled to Publish Fan Fiction (P2P Fanfic)
139th out of 231 books — 322 voters

More lists with this book...

⊱ Irena ⊰
First of all, this is not a romance. Some readers who avoid romance will take one look at genres on Goodreads and turn away from this book. And what a shame that would be! The Dreamspinner Press categories are a bit better: Novels, Mystery, Suspense, Americas, Historical. Having a gay protagonist doesn't make a book MM Romance! It wouldn't bother me since I read romance too, but some readers don't and they would miss a great story because of it.
'Now in 1948, drinking and gambling might have be
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I liked this story, though it is a historical and they aren't my favorite, but the rhythm of the story was reminiscent of the old Dragnet TV series, or 77 Sunset Strip, both vague memories from my childhood. (Yes, I am that old.) And I could picture Rita Hayworth as the actress who hires Grey Randall, private dick, to solve the mystery of the murder of a young woman. It was definitely different from the usual and the mystery was really great.

There wasn't much of a romance, simply a one-time blo
I've had this in my TBR pile for years and pulled it out because I've been playing LA Noire on the Xbox and it seemed to fit my mood for the 1940s USA. I enjoyed it on the whole. The characterisation was solid and the mystery kept me guessing. It was nicely hard boiled in places and my only complaint was a slightly saggy middle and a disappointing romance sub-plot. There was more chemistry between Grey and Lily than with the romantic interest. A pretty good read which is more 3.5 stars but I've ...more
Book One of Catt Ford’s new detective series is off to a great start. Slick characters and a decent mystery are enough to carry this fun story but the era appropriate prose really brings this over the top in the best way. Many stories about the roaring 40s throw in bits of dialogue or phrases that are reminiscent of the time period but this story is steeped in the language of the time. This helps make up for any stumbles and issues that may arise and some definitely do with the main character. H ...more
4.25 to 4.5 it took me about ten to twenty pages to get into the language and writing style but then it flowed really well. I think I couldn't tell initially if this would be an ironic self aware storyline or sort of a mockumentary tone. Neither of those is probably most accurate descriptions to use. It was really good and moved quickly. The ending was a little too easily wrapped in terms if the suspense but it makes you very interested in the next book. And also it was nice to like the main cha ...more
This was definitely more mystery, than romance, but this book completely appealed to me. It had this amazing sense of time and place, I could completely imagine 1940's Las Vegas and the glitz and glamour of the time. I am completely left with the beginnings of a potential romance and no sequel in sight to let me know if it builds further!
It took me a while to adjust to the style and the language of this story but once I did it really grabbed me. There was a lot more focus on the murder mystery and detective side of things than on the romance, although the beginnings of it were there. Hopefully there will be more books to come so that we can see it develop.
Mercedes Hightower
Recommended Read

My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed:

Private detective Grey Randall hasn’t exactly had the big cases since he moved to Las Vegas. That all changes when famous Vegas dancer Lily McIntyre strolls into his office with murder on her mind; her protégé’s murder, that is. Lily wants Grey to track down Marguerite Saint-Ville’s killer and Grey is all-too-happy to catch his first murder case. What Grey doesn’t count on is the case taking
Fantastic read! Love the era, the mystery surrounding the case and the characters in it. Absolutely great m/m story. Where the sequel to this series?
Noir-style 1948 Las Vegas soapish murder mystery with lots of humor and a touch of romance. Not much of a romance novel and the ending resolution is left open ended for sequel. On positive side- witty, humorous dialogues and great characters like Grey, Charlotte and Artie. The only thing I can complain is the murder mystery which dominated majority of the book suddenly took back burner in the last part and got tied up "too nicely" to be believable.
Gay noir hardboiled mystery set in 1940s Las Vegas! It's a pretty fun read, with a sense of humor that I thought was appealing. The mystery wasn't that tricky; I am appallingly bad at mystery novels but even I got this one. I would have liked a little more romance (or, really, any relationship) between the main character and his love interest. Hopefully if the author writes a sequel there could be some more of that.
3-3.5 Great noir story. A lot of Sam Spade/Philip Marlowe flavor with a dollop of m/m on top. Not much romance, but seemed like the start of a series so that may develop.

Grey's object of desire didn't quite mesh for me; he was a question mark through most of the book & the interaction was just off. Hopefully that will change as the series progresses.
A yummy mix of manlove, classic noir, and just about every type of historically taboo relationship :)
It took me a bit of time to get into this one because murder-mysteries aren't really my thing, but by the end I was glad that I gave this one a try and checking the author's website for info on the sequel.
J.L. Merrow
Hard-boiled yet tender-hearted tough guys; hot dames with legs up to here (and they know how to use them); cops on the take. What's not to like? I thoroughly enjoyed this 1940s pulp crime thriller. :D
This was a grat read, somehow like Raymond Chandler turned m/m. Adrian English would have delighted in it, and so did I.
I really liked this book. Gay hard boiled private eye in 1948 Las Vegas. Highly recommended.
Edina Rose
Great read, though the romance is minimal.
Finn Marlowe
Very fun and enjoyable and completely different.
Dec 04, 2011 Lady*M marked it as to-read
To reread.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Kelly H. (Maybedog) marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Marya marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Bergur Arnar
Bergur Arnar marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
UnusualChild{beppy} marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Willing Flesh (Inspector Raft Mystery, #1)
  • The Geography Of Murder (Geography of Murder, #1)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)
  • Amuse Bouche (A Russell Quant Mystery, #1)
  • Downtime
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Blinded By Our Eyes
  • Touching Evil
  • Three Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #1)
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
Catt Ford lives in front of the computer monitor, in another world where her imaginary gay friends obey her every command.

She likes cats, chocolate, swing dancing, sleeping, Monty Python, Aussie friends, being silly, spinning other realities with words, and sea glass. She dislikes caterpillars, cigarette smoke, and rude people who think the F-word (as in faggot, or bundle of sticks) is acceptable.
More about Catt Ford...
A Strong Hand The Last Concubine Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger Summer Fever Extreme Bull