Start by marking “Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fierce Leadership: A B...

Susan Scott

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From the author of the acclaimed book Fierce Conversations comes the antidote to some of the most wrongheaded practices of business today.

· “Provide anonymous feedback.”
· “Hire smart people.”
· “Hold people accountable.”
These are all sound, business practices, right? Not so fast, says leadership visionary and bestselling author Susan Scott. In fact, these mantras — despit
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fierce Leadership

William Blair
Feb 20, 2011 William Blair rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to William by: colleague
"No, trust me. This one is really good." That's how I got roped into reading this rah-rah book on, as best I can tell, honesty in management and corporate leadership. Out of 300 pages, there's maybe 6, possibly 10, pages with something worthwhile to read; most of that is when the author is quoting someone else. There's nothing wrong with the book. It's all about being a better manager or leader. But unless you have an IQ of, oh, say, 90, you don't need this book to tell you anything that if you ...more
Jonny99
Come on, join our drum circle! With the exception of war, business represents the area of human civilization most concerned with the simple self-serving interpersonal competition for scarce resources. Be skeptical of books, even with the aggressive adverb "Fierce" in the title, that teach something other than this simple precept. While you engage in one of Scott's "fierce" conversations - apparently meaning heart-to-heart, soul-bearing exchanges - the minions of the (with due respect) cold-blood ...more
Greg
Fierce Leadership seems to me to be, in large part, more about personal development and living a life consistent with your own most strongly-held values, than about leadership per se. It covers such topics as time management, the value of quitting, making and pursuing a life list, thinking backwards as a planning tool, gathering experiences rather than possessions, and so forth. There is little that I have not seen before from other writers, many of whom are more incisive and inspiring.

Fierce Le
Sarahanneme
four and a half
I listened to this audio, the author narrates it herself. She is witty and sarcastic and also barebones authentic at turns. she is a person who is touting the virtues of being real, and i think that if you love brene brown and the idea of presenting our authentic selves no matter in what context, you may appreciate the actual structures of this text. it's sort of a How To be Real--tho a bit more about business, entirely applicable across life. The preparation and actions that Scot
Trish
Best book on leadership and company culture I have read so far. I would highly suggest this for anyone in a position to impact a company culture.
Barbara
Another advice book that is short on evidence but full of anecdotes and vigorous assertion. Some of the advice seems sound: relationships are the most important thing in business and in life, and strong conversations and timely feedback are the key to strong relationships. It is difficult to like the author, though. She advises an aggressive approach that will surround you with similarly confident, aggressive people. Discretion, kindness, reserve and introversion are all equated with dishonesty ...more
Lynn
Brilliant alternative to boring business practices...fun and practical...
Lauri
If anyone is curious what has most recently blown my mind and directly addressed some of my burning questions about this whole leadership and educational leadership thing, here it is.
Caroline Gordon
I have to stop giving so many books 5 stars, but I have to say I really loved this. Any leader at any level would enjoy and benefit from Susan's insights. Deep emotional connection is not something usually talked about in management and leadership. Radical transparency gets some airing but Susan puts it all together in how to be an inspirational, highly successful leader. Read it!
Steve Malins
Good ideas and excellent message. Way too much anecdotal examples leaving the book 200 pages too long. Try to find summaries for a better use of time
Samuel
Apr 24, 2012 Samuel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People in leadership.
Shelves: leadership
Pretty good book with tips on management and leadership. You'll already know some of this and some of it will be completely enlightening. Felt it started to get a bit repetitive during the last couple of chapters otherwise it might have been a 4 star, probably could've been a shorter book!
Graeme Lockley
Nice read - lots of common sense and another book challenging the standard practices of the corporate industrial complex where people are treated like machines. This book advocates the return to honest interactions between people where people are able to be people.
Marnie E.
I love Susan Scott's direct and real approach to business and relationships. She offers some provocative, yet logical suggestions in Fierce Leadership. These perspectives helped me to reassess my long-held beliefs about leadership development.
Derek Neighbors
Best business book I have read all year. This is so pertinent to the pivot we are making with Integrum and how Gangplank operates. Fierce leaders understand that its about people and the relationships and connections you have with them.
Stephen
READ JAN 2013

Nice companion to the original, "Fierce Conversations" ... Both are good for anyone "bored with puffery and posturing, ducks and dodges" and desperately seeking authentic dialog.
Eddy
The author's quirky sense of humor is a bit surprising at times...but the content of the book is great. It grew on me slowly, but in the end, she had fantastic things to say.
Mike
I usually find leadership books to be an utter waste of time but this book is different. I really enjoyed it and found application in a wide rage of situations.
Iceblue Accent
A must read if you are interested in open, honest leadership. 'Fierce' aligns beautifully with my natural communication style, Susan Scott explains how to refine it :)
Eric
This book was a big letdown. Seemed like a rehash of her first book, fierce conversations. Stopped halfway and don't plan on picking back up.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Tactics for leading a company, focusing on relationships. Very practical, and written with light touch.
Hillary
Excellent leadership book - short, slim, and packs a punch. Pair with Fierce Conversations by same author.
Bruce Flanagan
Agree with the Auther 99% except for 360 degree feedback I believe are very useful
Libby
Useful. nothing unexpected. but obviously still plenty of "leaders" that are just crap.
Joey alabanza
its not meant for me...but tips are very useful..
Mags
Wonderful, highly recommend!
Uttara
Uttara marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Tonya Olson
Tonya Olson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
DJ Chuang
DJ Chuang marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Leadership Lessons of the Navy Seals: Battle-Tested Strategies for Creating Successful Organizations and Inspiring Extraordinary Results
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Good Business: Leadership, Flow, and the Making of Meaning
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time All Our Sisters: Stories of Homeless Women in Canada Call Me Captain: A Memoir of a Woman at Sea Healing with Nature Essential Oils For Allergies: A Complete Practical Guide of Natural Remedies and Ailments

“Seeking out people with different views, different perspectives, different ideas is often challenging, because it requires us to set aside judgment and open our minds. But we have to remind ourselves that to get beyond where we are, where I believe most of us are, we would all be be well served to choose our music carefully, to stop talking and listen to one another.” 8 likes
“If you are open, vulnerable, disclosing, more likely than not it will be reciprocated and walls will come down.” 8 likes