Start by marking “O Museu da Inocência” as Want to Read:
O Museu da Inocência

O Museu da Inocência

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,988 Ratings  ·  1,601 Reviews
O Museu da Inocência é uma história de amor, passada em Istambul, entre a Primavera de 1975 e os últimos anos do século XX, e conta a história da paixão obsessiva do herdeiro de uma família rica, Kemal, por uma prima afastada, Füsun, de um meio social menos favorecido. Mas Kemal está noivo da filha de uma das famílias da elite istambulense. Entretanto, Kemal começa a colec ...more
639 pages
Published 2010 by Editorial Presença (first published August 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about O Museu da Inocência, please sign up.

Ellen Yes, very well-written, I would compare the author to Gabriel Garcia Marquez. If a person's favorite author is Stephen King -- probably not.

Neil
Oct 15, 2011 Neil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm going to tell it as it is. Nobel-winning writer aside, this book is insufferable. I frankly don't understand the hype, the glowing reviews, attention from the New Yorker - this book is bad. Really bad.

The story revolves around a privileged man in Istanbul who has a short affair with a shopgirl and proceeds to become completely obsessed with her. So obsessed is he that after the girl marries someone else, he ends up sitting at their dinner table for the next 8 years.

When Kemal is not ho
Irwan
Dec 18, 2009 Irwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, 2009, favorites
(Additional notes below)

One thing I just realized, whenever I am about to finish reading a book, usually some sketchy ideas or sentences appear in my mind, so that right after I finish it, I can just open Goodreads, rate the book and write those ideas. I am also usually satisfied after writing three or four paragraphs, feeling that I have said what I have to say. But, I can't do that with Pamuk's books.

The night I finished this book, I was sitting at my desk with my hands laid on the closed boo
Grace Tjan
Jul 05, 2010 Grace Tjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pamuk fans, closet romantics
I must confess that for the last five years, I have had a love and hate relationship with Orhan Pamuk (I also had a similar relationship with Charles Dickens, but that’s another matter altogether).

Pamuk’s style is meticulous and ornate, intensely introspective, sometimes deliberately repetitive, shot through with that particular Turkish kind of melancholy called ‘huzun’. At his best, his prose achieves a poetic, hypnotic quality that makes My Name Is Red such a compelling, mesmerizing read. But
Rowena
“Time had not faded my memories (as I had prayed to God it might), nor had it healed my wounds as it is said always to do. I began each day with the hope that the next day would be better, my recollections a little less pointed, but I would awake to the same pain, as if a black lamp were burning eternally inside me, radiating darkness.”
— Orhan Pamuk, The Museum of Innocence

I must say, when I first started reading this book, I groaned inwardly. I had come across it while I was researching the Tu
Marieke
Apr 12, 2012 Marieke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this will be a short review because i don't want to give too much away. This is probably one of the more unique books i've ever read, done completely unpretentiously. most of the time i was reading it, i was thoroughly swept up in its melancholy atmosphere, but as the story began to resolve toward the very end, the tone lightened and i happily noted Orhan Pamuk's sense of humor and ability to make fun of himself. at least that is how i processed certain things at the end of the book.

as a
Chelsey
Nov 13, 2012 Chelsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An extremely tedious, depressing read.
I can honestly say that I read the first 150 pages, and then started skimming the rest (which I NEVER do, since I love reading) in search for dialogue.It is so melancholy and slow.

It reminded me of being in a room with an extremely self absorbed person, who blabbers on and on, touching the same points over and over again without really any concern if you're listening or not.

The writing style is also overly detailed, describing dry conversations with busin
Lillian
Oct 19, 2011 Lillian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I loved Pamuk's memoir, Istanbul: Memories and the City. But this novel, which covers much of the same material from a fictional perspective, with a woman, instead of a city as the focus of attention, was a frustrating read. The cataloging of every meaningful interaction with Fusun, the focus of Kemal's obsession, and the collecting of thousands of objects she touched or that are associated with her, does capture something ... a period of time? Reading th ...more
jeand99
Feb 03, 2016 jeand99 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aren't we all surrounded by thousands of tiny little things of the ones we love(d)?

"What a bore is life and how predictable: to be born, live and die." This is what I told my grandma (from my mothersside) at the age of eight after reading next weeks TV-guide completely. She looked at me with a little mysterious smile and said "Yes, you are right". I was old at the age of eight. The strange thing is this feeling never really left me. In retrospect my opinion back than was only a part of 'homo sap
Elyse
Oct 30, 2015 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!!!!!!

Update: WOW!!!!!

NOTE: Some people may think ..."what is she talking about?" ...nails on a chalkboard & obsessive? Yes...'sometimes'...but My God --in the best of all ways!! The writing is beyond gorgeous -and the story --OMG!

I own this book! (Sorry...'not' giving it away).

When I saw that Steve-goodreads member, was reading the 'not yet' released book, "A Strangeness in My Mind" --due out in a couple of days --I was a little envious! :)

Istanbul: "A Love letter to a City"....(no
Gearóid
Feb 22, 2014 Gearóid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was quite an experience reading this book.

At one stage i almost abandoned it as i just had
too much of Kemal's obsession and it was getting a bit tiresome.

However,while i was not reading the book and moved on to other books i keep thinking about it and realised it was beautifully written.The descriptions of Istanbul life in the 1970's and 1980's were so brilliant.
I would be having a coffee in my local cafe(wet and damp and indoors) and would start thinking about Istanbul and the warm feeling i
مروان البلوشي

هذه آخر رواية للكاتب التركي المعروف أورهان باموك، وقد نشرها في 2008، عامين بعد فوزه بجائزة نوبل في 2006. وقد تم ترجمتها للإنجليزية في 2009.

الحق اني لم أحب هذه الرواية، لقد وجدت عالم باموك متكرراً بالطريقة نفسها، وبالملامح نفسها. ومع أن باموك روائي ذكي للغاية إلا أنه لم يأت بالجديد هذه المرة. هناك تكرار مستمر لنفس المواضيع التي تغلف عالم باموك مثل : انقسام الهوية التركية بين الشرق والغرب، دور الذاكرة واثرها على حياة الإنسان، الصراع بين عادات ثقافة مجتمع شرقي ذكوري محافظ وبين العلاقات بين الرجال و
Arda Aghazarian
Aug 30, 2014 Arda Aghazarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finishing "The Museum of Innocence," I found myself in need to talk about it. I wanted my friends to know about this, but I wanted them to know about it slowly, in small drips, and tiny pieces.

-"Do you have time for another cup of coffee?" I'd ask, "This might take a while, but chances are this book might be too long for your taste and you might not want to read it yourself, but you have to at least hear me out till the end. Let me tell you about it!"

It's not typical of me to do this sor
Erin
Feb 28, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Zorana Mitrović
Још увек нисам начисто коју оцену ова књига заслужује.
Уопште не могу да будем објективна из простог разлога што сам је читала током свог боравка у Истанбулу и све те улице и људе које Памук описује у овом роману доживела на потпуно другачији начин него што бих их доживела да сам је читала овде, да не помињем и то да сам стварно отишла и посетила његов Музеј невиности - музеј који је он створио инспирисан овом књигом.

За оне који су слабије упућени објаснићу:

Прича описује љубав између Кемала и Ф
Chris
This is one of those books that has the most perfect title. There could be no other title for the book.

I haven't read anything by Pamuk before reading this, but I am so going to read everything by him.

Earlier this year, I read The Dead of Winter by Lisa Appignanesi. Both Pamuk and Appignanesi seem to have tread the same ground. What is the difference between love and obessession? Where, if anywhere outside of physical threats and attacks, does it cross the line? Pamuk does a slightly better job
Richard Derus
Rating: 2.75* of five

Five hundred pages of long-face about a pair of star-crossed lovers.

They're cousins. Only not really. And it's set in Istanbul in 1975, with excursions to the present.

I know more about Istanbul in 1835 than 1975, though the latter is within my own lifespan. (Okay, okay, WELL within my own lifespan.) I like Turkish history because it's so improbable and so full of moments when they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! I like alternate history so I love those moments wher
Renato Guerra
Feb 06, 2011 Renato Guerra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aún con el enorme cliché que se carga (chico rico se enamora de chica pobre) me decidí a leer la última novela de Orhan Pamuk pues hasta el momento es un autor que no me ha decepcionado. 648 páginas despues puedo decir con certeza que es una de las mejores novelas que he leído aunque seguramente se debe a que la he tomado en un momento preciso de mi vida (ya veremos si a la relectura sigo opinando igual).

El libro puede ser dividido en dos partes, la primera nos narra el desenfrenado amorío entre
Miguel
Jul 03, 2015 Miguel rated it liked it
As prospeções do amor variam de acordo com os valores e os princípios antropológicos. Na Turquia, este sentimento é minado pelas convicções e pelos convencimentos tradicionalistas de uma sociedade corruptível e reacionária, que se mostra interessada na urbanização e ocidentalização do país.

O alinhamento cultural feito em O Museu da Inocência traduz a perversão moral e a superficialidade das relações reminiscentes da elite de Istambul. Porém, o verdadeiro compromisso da escrita refinada e tal
Ben
Apr 12, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A magnificent obsession turns fatal

A review by Ben Antao

The Museum of Innocence
By Orhan Pamuk
Translated by Maureen Freely
Knopf Canada, 536 pages, $34.95

In an interview in Mumbai recently, Orhan Pamuk, 57, the author of The Museum of Innocence, said rather petulantly, “When Proust wrote on love, everybody read it as universal love; when I write about love, they call it Turkish love.”

Having read both Proust and Pamuk’s novel, I felt a tinge of sympathy for the Turkish Nobel prize winner of
Serkan
Romanda birinci kural; ana karakter mutlaka empati duyulabilir, sevilebilir bir karakter olmalıdır derler. Orhan Pamuk her zaman yaptığı gibi ana kurallardan birini çiğneyerek de güzel kitaplar yazılabileceğini göstermiş.

Masumiyet müzesi, Kemal Bey'in Füsun Hanım'a olan büyük aşkını -bana kalırsa büyük takıntısını- anlattığı akıcı bir roman. Füsun'la olan güzel günlerine tekrar kavuşamamak Kemal Bey'i öylesine derinden sarsıyor ki, tüm hayatını bir yana bırakıp, Füsun'la ilgili her türlü eşyayı
Mahmood666
Jun 13, 2015 Mahmood666 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
موزه بیگناهی
اورهان پاموک
گلناز غبرایی
چاپ المان
هنگامی که اورهان پاموک ،نویسنده اهل ترکیه ،جایزه نوبل را برای اولین بار به کشور ترکیه،کشور همسایه ما برد ،در میان نویسندگان ایرانی زمزمه ای بر پا شد مبنی براینکه نویسندگان ایرانی چه بسا برتر از پاموک باشند .این سخن در ان زمان بازخورد زیادی در بین منتقدان ادبی داشت و به شخصه حرف گفته شده را مبتنی بر حسادت نویسندگان وطنی محسوب کردم .
این تصور ادامه داشت تا اینکه کتب پاموک یک به یک به فارسی ترجمه شدند .نام من سرخ (که اتفاقا تا ان زمان مهمترین اثر پاموک ب
Nick
Jun 10, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Museum of Innocence--which Orhan Pamuk has established in Istanbul--is a collection of earrings, barrettes, ceramic dog figurines, even cast-off cigarette butts, all of which remind the narrator of this novel, Kemal, of the object of his obsession, a poor relation named Fusun. To his credit, Pamuk manages to convey that obsession without making the novel entirely unreadable, although there are long passages that convey just how tedious irrational passion can be for those who are not directly ...more
Vonia
Orhan Pamuk. Why have I waited so long to experience your writing? Because that is what this was. An experience. The Museum of Innocence has a deceitfully simple premise. Kemal Bey, from one of the wealthiest, more prominent families in Turkish society, is to be married to the lovely Sibel, daughter of a diplomat. She is well educated, beautiful, resourceful, well matched for his family even; no one can be anything but ecstatic at their engagement party, where they are on display for all of the ...more
Nấm Hương
Jun 13, 2016 Nấm Hương rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nấm by: HUONG
Ký ức sẽ chứa chấp chúng ta.
Kỷ niệm sẽ dối gạt chúng ta.
Tình cảm sẽ hủy hoại chúng ta.
Lần đầu hiểu nhiều như vậy về một cuốn sách. Hiểu về nỗi đau đớn dịu dàng khi giữ chặt trong tay món đồ tượng trưng cho một khoảnh khắc hạnh phúc đã mất. Vì hiểu cho nên cảm thấy mệt nhọc.

This is a story of a love triangle involving Kemal - son of a wealthy Turkish family, his fiancee Sibel - daughter of another rich family and Füsun, a young shopgirl by who Kemal is obsessively attracted to.

By telling the story of these three young people, the author describes the behavior of Istanbul bourgeoisie in the 1970s.

Once Kemal breaks their marriage engagement, Sibel decides to move on and marries another man. Kemal and Sibel will only re-encounter each other 31 years later.

Throughout
Sonia Gomes
Oct 09, 2013 Sonia Gomes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sigh, no one really
Sonia rushes to the shelf that houses Pamuk’s books, his visit to Goa has got everyone in a tizzy, should we read Pamuk or not is the question of the day. Nobel Laureate visiting our homeland after all. Museum of Innocence she thinks, how quaint, comfortably seated she plunges into the book; her eagerness knows no bounds….

Page 1; Wow, sex on the very first page. Isn’t that a tad antiquated? A Nobel Laureate knows what he is doing. She reads better writing is sure to follow…..

Page 5-25; High soc
Tocotin
I think I'm just too forgiving when it comes to certain authors. I want to like them and to trust them because they write about topics or cultures I'm interested in, and then they let me down. So down. This is my third Pamuk novel, and I may be done with the guy. I liked "The White Castle". "My Name Is Red" was meh. I thought it immature and shallow, despite the fascinating subject. I kept waiting for some revelation, some deep insight, and it never came. It was the same with this book.

The first
Sine
Oct 04, 2015 Sine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
diyecek bir şey bulamadım. beş dakikadır bakıyorum ekrana. çok, çok güzel. the washington post'un şu dediğine katılarak: "pamuk bu kitapla aşkı elle tutulur bir şey olarak önümüze koyuyor", ve orhan pamuk kitaplarının hayatımdaki tesadüfi (ya da değil?) doğru zamanlamasına şaşırarak bitireyim. ha bir de, bana istanbul'u sevdiriyor orhan pamuk kitapları.
Mina
Feb 14, 2012 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"فلتخبر الجميع، أنني قد عشت حياة سعيدة "
بهذه العبارة الأخيرة التي يهمس بها كمال بك موصياً أورهان باموق أن تكون الكلمة الأخيرة في هذا الكتاب، تنتهي رواية متحف البراءة.
الرواية التي أرهقتني جداً في قراءتها كعادة أورهان باموق. و لكنني التهمت نصفها الثاني في 4 أيام فقط، بينما ظل نصفها الأول يتأرجح معي طيلة شهور سبع ماضية.

الرواية تحيرني في كيفية الكتابة عنها لأنها سفر ضخم يتجاوز ال700 صفحة.

من مميزات الكتاب الكبيرة أنه يؤرخ للطبقة البورجوازية في تركيا في فترة السبعينات بشكل مميز، مع إطلالة خفيفة على أح
Stefania T.
Dec 29, 2014 Stefania T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite

"Una struggente storia d’amore ambientata nella Istanbul degli anni Settanta"

Se dovessi pragmaticamente sintetizzare la natura de “Il Museo dell’innocenza” non potrei fare altro che storcere il naso e ricorrere anch’io, come i curatori dell’elegante edizione Einaudi, all’inflazionata definizione di trama ed annunciarlo come…Una tormentata storia d’amore.

Per quanto mi piaccia crogiolarmi nel ruolo di bastian contrario, scettica nei confronti di tutto ciò che può essere classificato come l’ennesim
Bitmeyecek Öykü/ ...: freewoman 1 7 Dec 19, 2015 12:22PM
Middle East/North...: Turkey : The museum of innocence 32 79 May 25, 2015 05:40AM
Turkish Reading C...: Masumiyet Müzesi ile ilgili tartışma 11 125 Jan 22, 2015 10:37PM
Magnificent Obsession 3 41 Oct 28, 2014 01:35AM
The World's Liter...: novel: MUSEUM OF INNOCENCE and THE INNOCENCE OF OBJECTS by Orhan Pamuk 45 73 Nov 05, 2013 05:03PM
  • Huzur
  • Iron Earth, Copper Sky
  • Anayurt Oteli
  • Tutunamayanlar
  • İçimizdeki Şeytan
  • Bizim Büyük Çaresizliğimiz
  • Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want
  • Amat
  • Semaver
  • Human Landscapes from My Country: An Epic Novel in Verse
  • Bir Gün Tek Başına
  • Yüksek Topuklar
Orhan Pamuk was born in Istanbul in 1952 and grew up in a large family similar to those which he describes in his novels Cevdet Bey and His Sons and The Black Book, in the wealthy westernised district of Nisantasi. As he writes in his autobiographical book Istanbul, from his childhood until the age of 22 he devoted himself largely to painting and dreamed of becoming an artist. After graduating fro ...more
More about Orhan Pamuk...

“Real museums are places where Time is transformed into Space.” 191 likes
“In fact no one recognizes the happiest moment of their lives as they are living it. It may well be that, in a moment of joy, one might sincerely believe that they are living that golden instant "now," even having lived such a moment before, but whatever they say, in one part of their hearts they still believe in the certainty of a happier moment to come. Because how could anyone, and particularly anyone who is still young, carry on with the belief that everything could only get worse: If a person is happy enough to think he has reached the happiest moment of his life, he will be hopeful enough to believe his future will be just as beautiful, more so.” 180 likes