Start by marking “Like Dandelion Dust” as Want to Read:
Like Dandelion Dust

Like Dandelion Dust

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  7,545 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
In a quiet Florida town, life is idyllic for Jack and Molly Campbell and their 4-year-old son, Joey. But one day a phone call shatters their peace. A social worker reports that Joey's biological father, newly released from prison, wants his son back. Can Jack devise a plan to circumvent a judge's devastating decision? 384 pages
Published August 12th 2010 by Center Street (first published June 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Like Dandelion Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like Dandelion Dust

Aoibhínn
This novel had come highly recommended from a friend who had recommend quite a few great novels to me before and the synopsis of the novel sounded good so I was expecting good things from Like Dandelion Dust. I had also seen an advert for the movie on TV and it looked interesting so I went ahead and brought the book from Amazon without researching the author. Big mistake!

But the truth was, the plot was very predictable, irritatingly repetitive, contrived and not very well-written. The concept o
Tiffany
Oct 30, 2010 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I couldn't finish this book. I suffered through about 100 pages and just couldn't take it anymore. I did skim the last few pages because I wanted to see how it ended, but I couldn't even force myself to read them.

This was the most self-righteous, ridiculous crap I have ever read. I was really looking forward to this book, the plot behind it was very interesting. But I could not handle all the religious whining that went on. "Oh, it's so unfair that my sister has a fun life and happy family when
Cathy
I first heard about this book on one of the forums for adoption that I follow. There were a lot of people who were outraged at the concept of the movie (being made from the book). One person in the forum said that she wanted to read the book before making judgments about the movie being bad or not.

I decided to see if I could find this book for my Kindle and was pleasantly surprised to see that not only was it available, but it was on sale too.

This book is every adoptive family's worst nightmare
Bethany Andrews
I just finished this book tonight, and while I understand the complaints towards the religious aspects of the story, I kind of feel the need to defend the book.

Let me start out by saying that I myself am NOT a religious person. I can count the number of times on one hand that I've been to church in my life. Religion has never, and probably will never, play an important part in my life. That said, I still respect that others find it comforting and important. The back of this book warns you about
Rachel Brand
It's not often that I say this about Christian fiction, but this book was just too preachy for my tastes. I proudly say that I'm a born-again Christian and lover of Christian fiction, but the way that the Christian aspect was woven into this story came across as forced and unrealistic in places. I really wanted to enjoy this book as I'd read glowing reviews of it and cried when I'd watched the movie trailer. I've only read one of Karen Kingsbury's books before, a Christmas novella, and while I'd ...more
Kathy Piper
May 12, 2009 Kathy Piper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really sentimental claptrap. Indulgently self-righteous, one-dimensional and made me want to gag. Worse than a bad made-for-Lifetime movie. Who might like it? Fundamentalist Christian evangelicals who see life in black & white, without the possiblity of gray areas.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not anti-Christian. I just think this message was very poorly delivered and served to turn off, rather than turn on. An example of really good Christian story-telling: The Shack. This book is
Heather
Nov 14, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Glen Beck
Shelves: cound-not-finish
Teanne
Apr 06, 2009 Teanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone recommended this author (and book). She sounds like a good Christian writer. However, I was a little skeptical when I read about this book. It seems a little far-fetched that the adoptive parents have so little parental rights. But then I thought about the situation and how heart-wrenching it would be to loose one of my kids, and I thought this might be a good read. We'll see... I'll keep you updated.

OK, I just finished this book. While at times the authors style of writing seemed a litt
Britni
Jun 18, 2011 Britni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if your child, one that you'd adopted years ago, was now being taken away from you to be returned to his biological parents? What would you do if the law said you had no choice because the adoption was a fraud? What would you do if you knew the biological father was just released from prison for physical abuse? Would you just turn your child over for possible harm....or would you run to save your little family?

These are the questions facing the Campbell family in Like Dandelion
Amanda
Oct 22, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about the battle between the birth parents and the adoptive parents of 4-year-old Jack. The book was a story of family, love, and faith. I felt a variety of emotions throughout these pages: happiness, sadness, anger, compassion, empathy, love. I learned valuable lessons from several of the characters and found myself asking some difficult questions. I would suggest this book to anyone who needs a faith restoration.
Alan
"Always at the end of a book, I stand back amazed. Awed that God would give me another story..."

I'm not sure what planet Kingsbury lives on, but if this story was given to her by God, then surly it was his intent that she let someone else write it down for her.

This book was recommended by a friend, and I'm well aware that our reading interests are vastly different, however, I did wish for the ability to read something that I could discuss at our next social gathering. So, reluctantly, I embarke
Adrienne
Oct 08, 2012 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colette
May 30, 2013 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian

I buy a lot of used books and this one looked interesting and was it ever! It is a "what would you do" book so interesting I found it hard to put down. A married woman, whose husband had just been sent to prison for domestic abuse, found herself to be pregnant. Knowing that she could not provide the baby with the type of home,care and future he deserved, she gave him up for adoption. When the father was released from prison, claiming to be a changed man, they contest the adoption because the mot
Kellie
Jan 12, 2009 Kellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kellie by: Heather Parkinson
Shelves: adult-fiction
Though it may rest outside my normal "circle of favorite types of books", this book GRABBED me: I cried at things about which I didn't even know I cared, I got chills when Kingsbury developed the faith of her characters. I've always considered Christian fiction to be sappy and over-done in the "Faith" realm: I usually like God allusions to be subtle and sneaky. But Kingsbury encompassed the power of the Christian faith in the heart of a SMALL CHILD in a way that brought me to my knees.

So, in a w
Maurin
Apr 21, 2011 Maurin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Dandelion Dust raises interesting questions, questions of what makes someone a mother, and what does it mean to truly love a child. The story of King Solomon is quite appropriate and it is mentioned in the book. It brought tears to my eyes and wrenched my heart reading about Joey being taken from his adoptive parents only to be place in a home with a loving biological mother, but an abusive biological father. Thankfully, the biological mother found the courage and strength to do the right t ...more
Taylor Church

I love how you can see God's providence working in the lives of Joey's adoptive parents. I also love how Joey was praying to God and ask Him to be with him when he goes anywhere. He was a great example for his adoptive parents in how to talk to God. we shouldn't be afraid to admit are mistakes to God, the Creator of us and all life. He wants us to realize we are not perfect and we need to rely on Him even in the best and worst times of are life.

" Don't let anyone look down on you because you a
Joel Jackson
Jan 13, 2013 Joel Jackson rated it it was ok
This book was decent as a piece of literature. I found the characters compelling and the narrative accessible. Unfortunately, this is not really my genre so it did not grab me for that reason. Also, I found it wrapped up way too neatly. It was like reading a really long sit-com episode where everyone is happy at the end. The only one really left unhappy is Rip as he never finds the healing that the narrative desires for him. It is not that I dislike happy endings, I just know that real faith als ...more
Marty
Sep 09, 2012 Marty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I ended up with this book because i just wanted to get a book from my library for my Kindle. the downside of trying to pick a book from a list is that you don't get to really look at the cover and read a paragraph or two. In this case, I probably would have opted not to select this book had i had a better look at it. Very simplistic writing - heavy religious message. I will acknowledge that i read the entire book - had to find out how the author wrapped it up and it was as expected, all neat and ...more
Melody
Loved it! :)

Like Dandelion Dust is definitely one of my new favorites! I loved everything about this book! The story was very interesting and so well-developed. At the end, I just couldn't put it down! I had to know how the book ended and what was going to happen to the characters... It turned out that the end was beautiful and heart-wrenching at the same time.

The characters were very believable and each had its own personality. I also enjoyed reading the story from different points of view.

Kare
Naomi
Jun 05, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an emotionally charged book about a custody battle of a young boy. The idea of a preschooler being taken away from his loving parents, the only mom and dad he has ever know, and being placed in a home with an abusive biological father, will make any parent cringe. This book kept me interested, but there were a few unrealistic parts and a lot of self-righteousness. I gave this book 3 stars because I did enjoy the story-line even if it was a little too "preachy" for my taste.
Karen
Jan 19, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack & Molly Campbell adopted Joey at birth. He is almost five years old now and they have been told that the adoption was fraudulent as the birth father never signed the release papers. Molly's sister Beth and her family try to help them through this terrible time with faith in the Lord. Wendy Porter, the birth mother, wrestles with her love for Joey and issues of his safety. As always, Karen Kingsbury creates an emotional, sometimes devastating, but uplifting message.
Rachel
Jul 23, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband commented this book looked like a "grocoery store novel". And he was kind of right. But I was interested in the plot, which is about a 5 year old adopted boy whose birth parents decide they want him back. I found it interesting how the author unabashedly testifies of God throughout the book as well. I've never read any of her other books (and there are a lot). It kept my attention, I read every word, and felt good after. Probably not literary genius but a good story.
Eva Lounsbury
I read this almost in one sitting. I couldn't stop reading. Had to know what happened. This book really got me thinking - when the most precious thing in the world to me is at stake, do I really, really, really have faith that God will take care of things? And faith enough to trust even if it means giving everything?
Toni
Jun 23, 2013 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
What if a child was ripped away from the only family he ever knew. Having children of my own I can't imagine what lengths I would go to so they would be safe. I felt compassion for the adoptive family and the birth mother.
ANNETTE
Feb 11, 2016 ANNETTE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Well done . Being adopted I can understand most of the story a little better.
Suzanne
Oct 01, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still get cold chills thinking about what it would be like to have to give up a child.... I'm not sure what I would have been willing to do had I been placed in this situation.
Lindsey
Jan 23, 2016 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely do I give a book 5 stars, this needs extra stars! I got caught up in this book and now plan to watch the movie.
Zila_ShadowWolf
Jan 12, 2015 Zila_ShadowWolf rated it really liked it
Okay, so I read this book a long time ago. Like way before I loved books; I think I was 14. My aunt gave it to me, and I remembered enjoying it. i wonder if I still would now If I read it again.
Krystal Hobgood
Jan 21, 2016 Krystal Hobgood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although heart-breaking in certain parts, I knew it would end up being a beautiful story!
Kathryn Rothschadl
This book was very unrealistic. The premise was good but the execution was not.
Christian Chic Lit In General 3 41 Jan 15, 2015 02:43PM
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)
  • Angel Song
  • The Note
  • A Song for Silas (A Place Called Home, #2)
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. In addition, it was recently announced that Roma Downey and MGM Studi ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...

“God stays awake all the time. In case we need to talk to Him about something.” 37 likes
“Between the reference tool and Scripture, days later Beth was convinced of two things. First, the Bible was full of sound wisdom, and second, the message might amount to more than head smarts. It might hold the difference between life and death.” 0 likes