Start by marking “Orangutans Are Ticklish: Fun Facts from an Animal Photographer” as Want to Read:
Orangutans Are Ticklish: Fun Facts from an Animal Photographer

Orangutans Are Ticklish: Fun Facts from an Animal Photographer

In this knockout book of animal photographs, perfect for the youngest animal lover, you'll discover all sorts of things. Did you know that orangutans are ticklish? Yes, they are—just like you and me. But be careful if you ever see a hippo yawning. It doesn't mean he's sleepy—it means he wants to fight.

The gorgeous up-close pictures and fascinating facts are complemented by
Published June 8th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Orangutans Are Ticklish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orangutans Are Ticklish

Todd
Dec 02, 2010 Todd rated it it was ok
I give this a rating of "it was ok" because it was hard to separate the exceptionally strong photography of Steve Grubman, and the random, quite limpid animal facts provided by Jill Davis. In a way, I don't quite understand why Grubman even needed Davis, considering the material she provided the book. Another strike against it is the aimless format and randomness of the animals chosen. Clearly Grubman's excellent, Nic Bishop-level animal photography deserves a vehicle to push it out to a wide vi ...more
Jenny
Steve Grubman is an animal photographer. He shares photographs he has taken of a wide variety of animals including a coatimundi, zebra, tiger, kangaroo, chimpanzee and of course, an orangutan (and several more). he writes a bit about the process of photographing each animal, gives some interesting facts about the animal and even shares some fun stories. The photos are the highlight of the book, but the writing was engaging and interesting as well.
Peacegal
Mar 02, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
What’s good about it: The strong photographs capture animals’ expressions and personalities beautifully. Very basic facts about the species pictured are included on the pages. Parallels between certain species’ behavior and our own are noted. For instance, we read that “Elephants like to have fun, but they also take care of each other lovingly,” with a description of a herd slowing down so an injured elephant can keep up.

What’s not so good: The animal facts presented are rather generic and well
Whitney
Apr 18, 2014 Whitney rated it it was ok
I have some mixed feelings about this book. I loved the design and the little personal asides from the photographer, and some of the pictures were amazing, particularly those of the tiger and orangutan. However, some pictures were surprisingly blurry, like the kangaroo, giraffe and zebra. Most of the animals except the aardvark and coati are pretty well known, and I wish there had been more variety. And I didn't like the mention of keeping coatis as pets without a reprimand about the dangers and ...more
Mickey
Dec 30, 2012 Mickey rated it it was amazing
This book has excellent photographs of exotic animals. I've used this book many times with small groups of elementary school children to practice their phonics and give them practice reading nonfiction materials. The subject holds their interest and the short reading selections give struggling readers just enough content to feel a sense of accomplishment. I would recommend this book for any resource teacher who is looking for authentic material to share with students.
Kristen
Sep 11, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, nonfiction
The photos of these animals are amazing! Steve Grubman, the photographer, tells a bit about what it's like to be an animal photographer. Most of the book is basic facts about the animals he has photographed, like "giraffes have black tongues." Wish they'd told more about what it's like to be the photographer - I found it way more interesting to read about how he dangled raw meat on a string to get the alligator to sit still rather than read that the alligator's snout is wide and U-shaped.
Lissa Davies
Sep 17, 2012 Lissa Davies rated it it was amazing
Shelves: media-log
A must for any animal lover! Each 2 page spread has an inventive photograph of animal that captures their personality, accompanied by concise and entertaining text with snippets of information. Who knew that orangutans use big leaves as ponchos when it rains?? The photographer also has a comment on each page about the photo shoot.

Good to start off an animal unit for K-4
Jenna Randolph
This book is adorable. From an animal photographers perspectives the goofy fun facts about different animals are revealed. I think this book is great and such a cool look at the quirky animals. I think that in social work this would just be a happy book to uplift the spirits of anyone, not just children.
Haydee Romero
Orangatans are Tickilish is written by an animal photographer. The book contains actual photographs of the animals and facts. When introducing non-fiction text features this book would be a great example of captions. The author adds captions with things that happened during the photoshoot with the particular animal.
Ellie Hipp
Dec 08, 2016 Ellie Hipp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng350
This is a wonderful book filled with lots of random, sometimes silly, animal facts from the perspective of an animal photographer. It is a great read for little kids who are interested in different kinds of animals around the world. I would highly recommend keeping this book in an early elementary age classroom.
Lauren Owens
Mar 31, 2012 Lauren Owens rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, photography
This book is filled with photographs of real animals from all around the world. Each photo is followed by fun facts about that animal. For a language arts lesson, this book can be used for text using since the layout of the words and pictures are so unique and eye-catching. During book making time, this book can be put out as inspiration.
Recommended grade levels: P and up
Kayce
Mar 30, 2012 Kayce rated it really liked it
A book written by an animal photographer, each page features a large picture and a paragraph of fun facts. He also adds his own comment about something that happened at the photo shoot. Great pictures of course, fun facts not just embedded in the paragraph but also can be found with some additional information at the end of the book. A nice non-fiction read.
Libby
Sep 25, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
This is a great first book to read about animals. The pictures are great, and I love the little "behind the scenes" quotes about funny things the animals did around the photographer. There isn't a lot of information, but it's fun and great for youngest audiences.
Donalyn
Sep 30, 2011 Donalyn rated it really liked it
Professional animal photographer, Steve Grubman, provides interesting facts about a variety of animals and his personal experiences while photographing everything from aardvarks to zebras. Fabulous photos on every page and additional facts included in the back.

Melanie
Jul 11, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fascinating facts about a dozen or so animals. Great photos, too.
Maureen Schlosser
Fantastic pictures-Inside information about photos.
Karen
Sep 04, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Great photos. Interesting facts. No overload. Perfect animal intro.
Danica Midlil
The anecdotes are great! The animal facts are pretty basic, but still neat for young kiddos.
Kelly Rae
Aug 11, 2010 Kelly Rae rated it it was ok
The pictures were great and I loved the blurbs from the photographer, but the text left me wanting a little more.
BookKids
Nov 23, 2010 BookKids rated it it was amazing
This fun-filled animal expose gives us the inside dirt ou our favorite animals, from the super shy aardvarks to the oh-so-ticklish orangutans. You might even pick up some cool new dance moves!
Angie
Jul 03, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Seriously great photos and some interesting info along with it ... did you know a giraffe never takes a bath? The kids are going to go NUTS when they see this one!
Irasema
Irasema rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2010
Valerie Bassett
Valerie Bassett rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Stefani Brand
Stefani Brand rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Kathleen Browning
Kathleen Browning rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011