Start by marking “Miss Julia Hits the Road” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Hits the Road

Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,720 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Miss Julia-that proper lady of a certain age with a backbone of iron and perfect steel magnolia poise, not to mention the sharpest tongue south of the Mason-Dixon Line-always likes to nip any little problems in the bud. Not this time. Miss Julia is increasingly concerned about her gentleman friend, Sam, who has suddenly started wearing cowboy boots, sending flowers, and wr ...more
Published March 31st 2003 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Hits the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Hits the Road

Michele
Miss Julia cracks me up. These books are not great literary works of fiction. They are wonderfully entertaining and a quick, fun read.
Linda
Miss Julia on a motorcycle? No way! But all for a good cause... Miss Julia's long-time housekeeper Lillian has been evicted from her home along with all of her neighbors. The owner of the property wants to bulldoze all the houses and put up a water bottling plant using the spring water on the hill, rumored to do wonderful things for a man. Miss Julia intercedes to buy the houses and land but the scoundrel who owns it will only talk if Miss Julia puts her own home on the line. So where to come up ...more
Amber Jones
How hard can you laugh when reading a book?

If it's the Miss Julia series the answer is hard enough to cry and get a headache.

Miss Julia needs to raise money to save Miss Lillian's neighborhood from being bulldozed. A very large donation has been offered if she rides in a poker run. To say that the whole situation was comical is an understatement.

A quote from Miss Julia Takes A Ride:

"Hazel Marie finished by tucking the sides of my coat under each leg, where I hoped it would stay, else everybody
Peggy Sinden
This book held my interest from the start to the end. I can just imagine what Julia is thinking, doing, and causing in her efforts to be a lady. Riding on a motorcycle for a good cause was the icing on the cake. Goes to show you what can happen when people of all kinds rally behind a good deed. There is a lesson here and I hope we have learned that it is indeed possible that when it is worth it, 'Go For It'! Enjoy!
Loraine
I have read several of the Miss Julia books and will read them all before I'm through. They are light, and funny, and thought provoking, and fun. I would love to live with Miss Julia, or at least have her for a friend. She is witty, funny, strong, down to earth, kind and sensible. It's just a fun place to be, especially when things aren't going so well in my own life. It's nice to escape into a more relaxed, easy environment.
Virma
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Susan
The Miss Julia series of books is very enjoyable. Occasionally there may be a slow spot in a book, but read through. You will find yourself wanting the next one to see just what she is up to.
Linda
Patty
I do enjoy most of my time spent with Miss Julia and her cast of friends and acquaintances. Having said that it seems that in every book Miss Julia has to do something that is so totally stupid as to be almost enough to make me stop reading the book. Nothing different this time there is that one "duh" thing. I realize it moves the story forward, I realize it creates a lot of tension but really, couldn't someone *else* do the stupid thing instead of this remarkable smart woman?

I did have to laug
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Rebecca
content - Miss Julia is a straight laced older southern woman. This makes for some hilarious scenarios. I wavered between two stars and three and settled on three only because I got a huge belly laugh out of the middle of the book that left me in tears and giggling from time to time for about an hour later - any book that can make me laugh like that does not deserve two stars.

Mechanics - The characters seem a little stale in this book. There are definitely pacing problems. The fat needed to be
Peggy Holshouser
Comical

Comical

there's a lot at stake with Lillian losing her house, but Miss Julia comes thru and saves her own house too.
we never found what gave the water magical powers.
Melissa
1.5 stars--Lillian about to lose house, Hazel Marie fighting over JD with ex wife. Sam gets a motorcycle...all of it really scattered and pointless. Kind of a waste of time
Ewfischer
I hate myself for loving these Miss Julia books, but they are the perfect escape from the reality of life right now. Thank you, Ann B. Ross, for helping me get through some tough times.
Tuppermalone
I read this following Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind and realized I wouldn't be reading anymore Miss Julia novels. The first was new and amusing though not great literature. The second was followed the formula of the first and was not nearly so entertaining. There seems to be a pattern of presenting the problem with the same characters involved and Miss Julia solving the problem with at least one road trip. I may be wrong about this but not inclined to find if it be the truth, not wanting to a read ...more
Tracy
This was a cute story of a very proper southern belle stepping out of her comfort zone to help those in need. I enjoyed it!
K
Miss Julia is becoming increasingly concerned about her gentleman friend, Sam, who has suddenly started wearing cowboy boots, sending her flowers, and writing bad poetry. And when he shows up on a Harley-Davidson Road King and asks her to hop on, she's convinced he's lost his mind. Meanwhile, her invaluable housekeeper, Lillian, has been evicted from her home by her greedy landlord. Deciding that Lillian's need is greater than her own fear (not to mention loss of dignity), Miss Julia takes Sam u ...more
AnnieM
Enjoyable light novel. Very different from anything I'd normally listen to.
Donna LaValley
In #4, the still prim and proper, dress-wearing Miss Julia winds up participating in a motorcycle event to raise money for an important cause: rescuing Lillian’s entire neighborhood from an unscrupulous business endeavor. The scenes are funny and vivid, even realistic (wearing leather slacks 2 sizes too small, changing clothes in a tiny cafe bathroom), but again, criminals are unreported despite Miss Julia’s many connections to the police and the law, and lapses like that undermine the story and ...more
Amy Maitland
Yawn, I usually laugh at these books but this one was obnoxious
Alice
Cute like the other books in the series.
Amy
"Well, I declare!"

This was another enjoyable journey with Miss Julia!
Teresa
Fun read. Relaxing and Miss Julia makes me smile.
Joshua Berkov
I just love these Miss Julia books.
Karen
Just envisioning Miss Julia racing through town on a motorcycle was worth the read. Funny and warm-hearted, as usual.
Joyce
This was absolutely entertaining. I laughed and really enjoyed this book. Miss. Julia is quite the character getting herself caught up in all kinds of funny situations. This was lighthearted and just plain entertaining, all the characters had unique personalities and all in all showed a real life situation where people from all walks of life had to come together to fight for a cause. I really had fun reading it, now might have to find some other books by Ross to keep me entertained.
Laura Beth
This one started out a little slower but quickly picked up. Miss Julia is surprised by Lillian's circumstance and quickly decides that if anyone is going to save the day, it's going to be her, of course. With Hazel Marie and Mr. Pickens on the rocks, Sam's strange behavior along with Binkie ready to deliver any minute, I mean who's left to fix the world? Ross keeps me laughing out loud which is not the easiest thing to do! Can't wait til I can get to the next one!
Dawn Branch
The adventures of Miss Julia is captured by Ann B. Ross in this popular series. While this is not high literature, I thoroughly enjoy the situations that Miss Julia finds herself in. She is like a madcap Angela Lansbury careening through her small southern town trying to please everyone while dealing with her many personal crazy friends and relations. These are hilarious and often you can't put them down. I don't know why they never made this into a comedy series.
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • The Mitford Bedside Companion: A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Se ries, and More. Much More.
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Family Linen
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...

Miss Julia (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia, #9)
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2) Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5) Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3) Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)