Start by marking “Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites” as Want to Read:
Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites

Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Some presidents have been larger than life but none of them have been larger than death. Brian Lamb has visited the gravesites of every American president, living and dead, in order to put together this book, with assistance from the staff of C-SPAN. Heavily illustrated and with contributions from historians Richard Norton Smith and Douglas Brinkley, Who's Buried in Grant' ...more
Published May 8th 2003 by PublicAffairs (first published January 18th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?

Loren
Every library in America, whether personal or public, should have a copy of this book. It’s a straightforward listing, in presidential order, of our nation’s commanders-in-chief, including burial places, costs of admission to visit, causes of death, and final last words. Who’s Buried in Grant’s Tomb? would be great for doing schoolwork, playing Trivial Pursuit, settling arguments, and as a guidebook for family vacations. I can’t wait to drag my daughter off to visit some presidential gravesites. ...more
Gene
A solid sourcebook for information on the deaths and burial places of all Presidents. The edition I read has no comments about the historical significance of living Presidents, but where known, does say where their final resting places will be.

Death is the greatest leveler of all. It's the final call. In my quotes, I like this one from Mark Twain, "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
Hotavio
Who's Buried in Grant's Tomb was sent to me as a gift. Immediately I was enraptured by its presidential statistics pages and the large color photos of grave stones and mausoleums wedged into the book. This book IS part of what I am all about!
The book takes you on a tour of all (or the first 38 or so) presidential gravesites, gives interesting facts involving the president's death and burial, and tells you how to get to the sight. The book is a cross between a collection of factoids and a referen
Josh
May 27, 2012 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's into American, and Presidential History, cemeteries, or grave hunting.
One of the books I have in my growing grave hunting/cemetery book library. Is an interesting approach to the typical cemetery/grave hunting related books you’d find in your local bookstore or on websites like Amazon. The literary work I’m talking about is “Who’s Buried In Grant’s Tomb: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites” by Brian Lamb.

“Who’s Buried In Grant’s Tomb: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites” chronicles the lives (and usually the death’s) of each of the forty-four United States Presidents
Josh

Karen
For those of you who like to read about quirky historical facts, this is the book for you. The book devotes a chapter to each president, with only a very little description of the president's life or accomplishments. Most of the narrative is devoted to the circumstances under which the president died and where he is buried. The book has numerous color photos of burial sites. The reader learns the time, date, and place of death; final words; burial place; and directions for how to get there.

I fo
Jessica
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..."

Theodore Roosevelt

Forty-four men have been elected to the arena, and regardless of political affiliation you should learn what each person contributed to the cause of America. Nearly every president's death has been a point of bipartisan reflectio
Scott
An effective romp through US presidential history. The finaliity of their lives and burial places is used as a framework for some delightful anecdotes about their lives and acheivements. Whilst there is a considerable amount of repetition. However, as a well illustrated and eminently readable historical journey this is a worthwhile investment of time and interest. A final edit may perhaps have avoided some dubious grammar but this is a worthwhile endeavour. Recommended for presidential necrophil ...more
Richard Martin
Groucho Marks, on his television program, often queried..."Who's buried in Grant's tomb?" Ulysses AND Julia Grant, that's who! Within this book, one can find a compendium of information about all forty-one deceased Presidents. Brief biographies and inaugural highlights are presented for each. Color plates of monuments and memorials are numerous. Notably, historian Richard Norton Smith "personalizes" the President following his entry.
Stephen
A morbid read. Truly interesting. Cemetaries and Presidents, two interests of mine.

I do wish that this book was more packed with information about funeral processions and design elements and less filled with directions/dates-times/admission prices, which change often enough and up-to-date information is available on the internet.
Amy
This book is a grand tour of Presidential Gravesites, but unfortunately, it is not up to date (published in early 00's) so it does not talk as extensively about the burials of Ford or Reagan or Lady Bird Johnson.

Lots of interesting information and color photos are provided.
Pam
Jun 09, 2012 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
This is an excellent reference book and would be a great addition to a cross country trip with children. While it is full of interesting facts, some Presidents are more interesting than others so if you try to read it completely through some parts really drag.
Brian Nordstrom
This book was really three books in one. Part historical tidbits, part travel book, part more interesting and better written historical tidbits.

Parts of the book are written by Richard Norton Smith... those parts are good. The rest is just average.
Zane
An incredibly obscure book of presidential gravesite trivia that will be relished by those who devour political and historical potpourri. I want to use this book as a tour guide one day and see if I can visit the graves of all the presidents listed.
Christine
This book was a quick read, had some interesting tidbits about former US presidents' last moments. It was not an in-depth biography of each man. I'd recommend it for history buffs who need a book that they can pick up and put down quickly.
William Herbst
I like to visit historical sites and have a goal of visiting all of the presidential grave sites. This book is an interesting field guide to accomplishing that goal and is packed with anecdotes and photos.
Rich
I'm the kind of guy who enjoys visiting presidential gravesites. I've hit nine of them so far. If you are also the kind of person that would enjoy doing this, this book is an excellent guide.
Jay Thompson
A very basic and quick read, the book none-the-less gave an interesting account of the each President. It added a new perspective to the age old history lessons.
Lisa
Interesting book to read in between other things. Nice guide of places to visit while you're visiting certain states.
Shawna
Warning this is mostly a travel book but Brian Lamb (cspan founder and Hoosier) does a great job!
Tony
Jul 22, 2008 Tony rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone (who wants to know where the presidents are buried)
The ultimate guide to the whereabouts of the Dead of State.
David
Good,light read for history buffs.
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 13, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Jj Grilliette
Jj Grilliette marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
  • Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • "We are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends
  • America's First Dynasty: The Adamses, 1735-1918
  • Big in China: My Unlikely Adventures Raising a Family, Playing the Blues, and Becoming a Star in Beijing
  • Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster: Why the Official Story of 9/11 is a Monumental Lie
  • The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life
  • Where Are They Buried?: How Did They Die? Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places of the Famous, Infamous, and Noteworthy
  • Zachary Taylor (The American Presidents, #12)
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • "They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
Booknotes: Stories from American History Booknotes: America's Finest Authors on Reading, Writing, and the Power of Ideas Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President Booknotes Life Stories: Notable Biographers on the People Who Shaped America Booknotes: On American Character