Start by marking “Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)” as Want to Read:
Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)

Messiah (Apotheosis #3)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The last stand against the self-proclaimed God, Adam, has retreated to the anarchic planet Bakunin-a world besieged by civil war. Humanity's last hope lies with Nickolai Rajasthan, a Moreau who believes that the human race that created his kind is already damned beyond redemption.

Published February 1st 2011 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messiah

Dirk Grobbelaar
I started Messiah as soon as I had finished Heretics: Apotheosis: Book Two. I simply had to know what happened next.

The levels of carnage and mayhem in this novel are something else. In that respect, I have to agree with another reviewer – this final instalment in the Apotheosis trilogy does lean towards the Military side of Science Fiction. In the same breath, Messiah is not as accessible as Prophets or Heretics. There is a lot going on, and some of it I found hard to follow, especially where
Adam
Mixing semi-hard science fiction with transhumanistic, sociopolitical (and theolgical) ethics is a big gamble, but it pays off in this book. Swann is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, because he's not afraid to take a big risk in telling his tale. And what a tale it is..!

Adam, the self-proclaimed 'God' from the previous two novels, is on the verge of completing his goal.. The total conversion of Human Space to his belief (that all worship 'Him'). But there are a small number fighting
Tamahome
58/366 - I want to like it. As usual, reading a trilogy as it's published is rough on the memory. At least there's a Dog-Man.

(audio) part 2, 6h35m left - ok, I think the Swann fun is kicking in

-5h32m: the Tiger wags the Dog

Hmmm. Some fun stuff. The end is kind of deus ex machina, and yet the story has some religious overtones, so maybe that's appropriate? The tiger-man Nickolai sounds like Batman in the audiobook. I still like the 2nd book the best. I miss the Proteus guy.

Les
This final installment was a very fine finish to an equally fine space opera trilogy. Messiah had a lot more combat action than the previous two books. But what great action!

Again I'm reminded of Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy...a final apocalyptic and epic battle with one of the main characters finding a "way through" to score the ultimate victory. That's more than okay because the climax just seemed to fit so well with the story that had led up to it.

I liked how the author weaved the question
Cathy
Somewhat heavy-handed with the message, but as it's entwined with a good adventure story I'm inclined to forgive. I like most of the ways that he wove in the previous books and series, but the last twist was too much, despite the cuteness. And I'm not really there with him about the path the lovers too. Or the Valentines, way too much male fantasy there. Nevertheless, to me the best books attempt to deal with questions of morality and humanity while still being entertaining, and this qualifies.
Darin Stewart
I abandoned this about half way through. I enjoyed the first two books of the series but this just didn't engage me at all. It basically moves from the theology-oriented themes of the first two books into a fairly routine military-SF with wooden characters and by the numbers plot
Benjamin Straw
I wish this book was a little longer, I feel that I was left empty and wanting more
John
Feb 09, 2011 John is currently reading it
Loving it so far.

Giedrius Jočbalis
Giedrius Jočbalis marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Yushak
Yushak added it
Dec 10, 2014
Andrew
Andrew is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
8styx8
8styx8 added it
Nov 03, 2014
Jean
Jean added it
Oct 24, 2014
William van Ruth
William van Ruth marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Darksiderpc
Darksiderpc marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Ivan Lutz
Ivan Lutz marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
David Holden
David Holden marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
S. Andrew Swann is the primary pseudonym of Steven Swiniarski, who also writes as S.A. Swiniarski, Steven Krane, and S.A. Swann.
More about S. Andrew Swann...
Prophets (Apotheosis, #1) Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1) The Dragons of the Cuyahoga (Cleveland Portal #1) Fearful Symmetries: The Return of Noha Rajasthan (Moreau, #4) Emperors of the Twilight (Moreau, #2)