Start by marking “Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)” as Want to Read:
Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)

Messiah (Apotheosis #3)

The last stand against the self-proclaimed God, Adam, has retreated to the anarchic planet Bakunin-a world besieged by civil war. Humanity's last hope lies with Nickolai Rajasthan, a Moreau who believes that the human race that created his kind is already damned beyond redemption.
Published February 1st 2011 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messiah

Dirk Grobbelaar
I started Messiah as soon as I had finished Heretics: Apotheosis: Book Two. I simply had to know what happened next.

The levels of carnage and mayhem in this novel are something else. In that respect, I have to agree with another reviewer – this final instalment in the Apotheosis trilogy does lean towards the Military side of Science Fiction. In the same breath, Messiah is not as accessible as Prophets or Heretics. There is a lot going on, and some of it I found hard to follow, especially where
Adam
Jul 04, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Mixing semi-hard science fiction with transhumanistic, sociopolitical (and theolgical) ethics is a big gamble, but it pays off in this book. Swann is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, because he's not afraid to take a big risk in telling his tale. And what a tale it is..!

Adam, the self-proclaimed 'God' from the previous two novels, is on the verge of completing his goal.. The total conversion of Human Space to his belief (that all worship 'Him'). But there are a small number fighting
Tamahome
Feb 01, 2011 Tamahome rated it liked it
58/366 - I want to like it. As usual, reading a trilogy as it's published is rough on the memory. At least there's a Dog-Man.

(audio) part 2, 6h35m left - ok, I think the Swann fun is kicking in

-5h32m: the Tiger wags the Dog

Hmmm. Some fun stuff. The end is kind of deus ex machina, and yet the story has some religious overtones, so maybe that's appropriate? The tiger-man Nickolai sounds like Batman in the audiobook. I still like the 2nd book the best. I miss the Proteus guy.

Les
Aug 28, 2012 Les rated it really liked it
This final installment was a very fine finish to an equally fine space opera trilogy. Messiah had a lot more combat action than the previous two books. But what great action!

Again I'm reminded of Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy...a final apocalyptic and epic battle with one of the main characters finding a "way through" to score the ultimate victory. That's more than okay because the climax just seemed to fit so well with the story that had led up to it.

I liked how the author weaved the question
Cathy
Somewhat heavy-handed with the message, but as it's entwined with a good adventure story I'm inclined to forgive. I like most of the ways that he wove in the previous books and series, but the last twist was too much, despite the cuteness. And I'm not really there with him about the path the lovers too. Or the Valentines, way too much male fantasy there. Nevertheless, to me the best books attempt to deal with questions of morality and humanity while still being entertaining, and this qualifies.
Darin Stewart
Feb 02, 2011 Darin Stewart rated it it was ok
I abandoned this about half way through. I enjoyed the first two books of the series but this just didn't engage me at all. It basically moves from the theology-oriented themes of the first two books into a fairly routine military-SF with wooden characters and by the numbers plot
Joshua
Jul 26, 2016 Joshua rated it liked it
Didn't quite stick the landing, but overall I enjoyed the series.
John
Feb 09, 2011 John is currently reading it
Loving it so far.

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Review forthcoming.
Benjamin Straw
Mar 14, 2011 Benjamin Straw rated it really liked it
I wish this book was a little longer, I feel that I was left empty and wanting more
Keath Beifus
Keath Beifus rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Roger
Roger rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Timon
Timon rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Spencer Mclean
Spencer Mclean rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Rob Colavito
Rob Colavito rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Greg Justice
Greg Justice rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Marticus
Marticus rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Erik
Erik rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Henry
Henry rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
May 20, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Paul Klinger
Paul Klinger rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Zozo
Zozo rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2011
Max
Max rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Chas
Chas rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2016
Vierblij
Vierblij rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mirror Space (Sentients of Orion, #3)
  • Pirate Sun (Virga, #3)
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)
  • The Retrieval Artist
  • A Working of Stars
  • Earth Ascendant (Astropolis, #2)
  • Land of the Dead
  • Cosmopath (Bengal Station, #3)
  • Novels & Stories 1950-62: Player Piano/The Sirens of Titan/Mother Night/Stories
  • V-S Day: A Novel of Alternate History
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • The Scroll
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • Between Darkness and Light  (Sholan Alliance, #7)
  • Lord Tyger
  • Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)
  • Topgun Days: Dogfighting, Cheating Death, and Hollywood Glory as One of America's Best Fighter Jocks
S. Andrew Swann is the primary pseudonym of Steven Swiniarski, who also writes as S.A. Swiniarski, Steven Krane, and S.A. Swann.
More about S. Andrew Swann...

Apotheosis (3 books)
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Heretics (Apotheosis, #2)