Operating System Concepts

Operating System Concepts

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  669 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Another defining moment in the evolution of operating systems
Small footprint operating systems, such as those driving the handheld devices that the baby dinosaurs are using on the cover, are just one of the cutting-edge applications you'll find in Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne's Operating System Concepts, Seventh Edition.
By staying current, remaining relevant, and adapti...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 944 pages
Published January 21st 2005 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 1985)

Rod Hilton
It's a textbook on Operating Systems. There's not really all that much to say about it beyond that, so instead I will compare it to two other OS textbooks that I've read, "Operating Systems: A Modern Perspective" by Gary Nutt and "Modern Operating Systems" by Tanenbaum, generally regarded as the seminal textbook on the subject.

OS Concepts is, to put it bluntly, very dry. This is somewhat expected with a book on Operating Systems, but the level of dryness is worth noting. I often found the book d...more
Ohud
Very helpful and if you are IT person, you will have read it decades ago.
I mean schools usually give a course where this book is the reference, if not the only material.
Bar Shirtcliff
Good for beginners: it's so easy to read that I can read it when I'm too sleepy for the Decline & Fall.

I'd like to find an equally approachable computer architecture book.
Irem
Mukemmel anlatmis. opsis dersine gitmeye bile gerek yok falan :P kitabin imzali olmasi da nasil bir şanssa yerim seni silberschatz
Dpeashooter
Monotone and obtuse.
Has an affinity for fancy words - which normally ignites my interest, but not in this case somehow.
Nick Black
You learn operating systems by reading operating system source code, not the dinosaur book.
Joe
I read the fourth edition, from 95. I think writing an OS textbook must be a difficult case of trying to achieve balance: balancing the right topics, from a sea of concepts related to operating systems and computer operation; balancing enough detail to be interesting and useful with simplicity and accessibility needed in an introductory textbook.

OS Concepts does a pretty good job of finding balance. The topics covered are pretty good: pretty much everything I think is centrally important to OS d...more
John Lee
A pretty thorough introduction to operating systems. I didn't read all of this huge textbook, but the parts I did read were well-written and fairly easy to read. The exposition can get a bit dry and it goes into many details about current operating systems' implementations, which is nice but doesn't bode well necessarily for the book's future. Overall, a good primer to operating systems that didn't surprise me with how good or bad it was.

One thing that did surprise me, however, was that there we...more
Evan Snyder
This was the required book for my first Operating Systems Concepts class. As it was my first work in the subject, I have not read any similar books to compare and have no pre-existing knowledge to cross-check. With that novice disclaimer, I found this book to be very straightforward and readable with a number of relevant and up-to-date examples. Overall, a good outline of the requirements, components, and algorithms of a generic operating system.
Captain Hampton
I agree with Nick's review in the sense that one learns the ins and outs of operating systems much more by actually getting their hands dirty and maybe even writing their own OS. This book doesn't really even take that approach, and if anything, has a fair amount of topical knowledge that won't be necessarily applicable a few years down the line. Not a bad book on OS, plus the dinosaurs are a plus.
David
A good reference for what happens under the hood of an operating system. The various chapters are covered in good detail, including searching, sorting, indexing, access paths, transactions, etc. Recommended for developers and database administrators wishing to know more about the underlying issues when it comes to optimized design and maximising potential.
Siddhesh Ajgaoncar
Beautiful book on Operating Systems.
A must for beginner in computer science.

Wish the print was large,since small print makes you sleepy when reading at night.
Apart from that, the textbook explains all concepts like processes,threads,deadlocks,a part of unix.. and some really interesting problems.
Adam
One of my college texts, I have never had a need to reference this since graduation. While the content is useful in gaining an understanding of how systems work, I believe this work would not be useful to most mainstream coders. If you are working in embedded systems, this would be useful.
Russell
Holy crow, Silberschatz operates on a whole other level than other technical writers.

This was such a brilliant book, I can't believe this (or the latest edition) isn't required reading for every Comp Sci degree out there.

I highly recommend this book to the computer geeks out there.
Timothy Culp
I learned about Operating Systems back in 1985 with Silverschatz first edition. Learned it again in 1988 with the 2nd Edition. Starting teaching it in 1998 with the 5th edition. Now my son is learning Operating Systems from the 7th edition. I think that constitutes a classic.
Andy
Not too bad of an introduction to operating systems. I don't think I could confidently say that I can now write my own operating system but I think I have a much better understanding of how they work and could more easily understand the innards of existing operating systems.
Joecolelife
Mar 20, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
I personally think this is a great book for a broad overview of OS's. Dont think it will go into any great programming detail, but there are other books for that. This is just for broad details. Very good for that reason I think.
Josh Davis
Great book on operating system concepts. I had to use this along with my OS class. The images and explanations were always pretty satisfying. Definitely check it out if you are looking for an introductory OS book.
Pranam K P
OS concepts is a really simple and easily understandable book for beginners and for people with basic knowledge about OS. This book gives a broad overview of all the topics related to OS design....
Landan
For everyone complaining about how dry the text is, I think it could be much worse than it is presented here. Once you start to read consistently, it gets easier and easier to digest quickly.
Zeerak Waseem
It's fairly easily read. Gives a thorough introduction to the most important concepts in OS Design. All in all one of the better textbooks I've come across in my cs education.
Ebrahim
this is good book about operating system, but i prefer Tanenbaum 's book to Siberschatz 's book. but it describe scheduling good .
Rohit Mishra
A easy breezy book filled with examples. I am not interested much in Operating Systems as a subject, but still like the book.
Yi
Definitely a good CS text book for undergrads on operating systems. But, wasn't my favourite subject at the time
Ariel Burbaickij
review is very simple: Tanenbaum (whether you go for Minix edition or not) is WAY better in more than one way.
Lewis Cawthorne
The thing kept putting me to sleep. The material was simple enough. I would've rather played with minix.
Melvin
Great book but I fell asleep reading it a few times.
Thejo
It was a required text for my 3rd year OS module. I loved reading it.
Dina Omar
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • UNIX Network Programming: Networking APIs: Sockets and XTI; Volume 1
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • C++ How to Program (How to Program)
  • Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Concepts of Programming Languages

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Abraham Silberschatz is the Sidney J. Weinberg Professor & Chair of Computer Science at Yale University. Prior to joining Yale, he was the Vice President of the Information Sciences Research Center at Bell Laboratories. Prior to that, he held a chaired professorship in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professor Silberschatz is an ACM Fellow and an IEEE F...more
More about Abraham Silberschatz...
Database System Concepts Operating System Concepts Essentials Applied Operating System Concepts Operating System Concepts with Java Advanced Operating Systems Concepts