Start by marking “Operating System Concepts” as Want to Read:
Operating System Concepts

Operating System Concepts

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,008 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Another defining moment in the evolution of operating systems
Small footprint operating systems, such as those driving the handheld devices that the baby dinosaurs are using on the cover, are just one of the cutting-edge applications you'll find in Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne's Operating System Concepts, Seventh Edition.
By staying current, remaining relevant, and adapti
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 944 pages
Published January 21st 2005 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Operating System Concepts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operating System Concepts

Rod Hilton
It's a textbook on Operating Systems. There's not really all that much to say about it beyond that, so instead I will compare it to two other OS textbooks that I've read, "Operating Systems: A Modern Perspective" by Gary Nutt and "Modern Operating Systems" by Tanenbaum, generally regarded as the seminal textbook on the subject.

OS Concepts is, to put it bluntly, very dry. This is somewhat expected with a book on Operating Systems, but the level of dryness is worth noting. I often found the book d
Ohud
Very helpful and if you are IT person, you will have read it decades ago.
I mean schools usually give a course where this book is the reference, if not the only material.
Nick Black
You learn operating systems by reading operating system source code, not the dinosaur book.
Bar Shirtcliff
Good for beginners: it's so easy to read that I can read it when I'm too sleepy for the Decline & Fall.

I'd like to find an equally approachable computer architecture book.
Irem
Mukemmel anlatmis. opsis dersine gitmeye bile gerek yok falan :P kitabin imzali olmasi da nasil bir şanssa yerim seni silberschatz
Dpeashooter
Monotone and obtuse.
Has an affinity for fancy words - which normally ignites my interest, but not in this case somehow.
Joe
I read the fourth edition, from 95. I think writing an OS textbook must be a difficult case of trying to achieve balance: balancing the right topics, from a sea of concepts related to operating systems and computer operation; balancing enough detail to be interesting and useful with simplicity and accessibility needed in an introductory textbook.

OS Concepts does a pretty good job of finding balance. The topics covered are pretty good: pretty much everything I think is centrally important to OS d
Jaydeep
As the name suggests, it just discusses the concepts of Operating Systems. Though, there are case studies, but no direct implementation details of any OS. It discusses a wide range of concepts and will surely help you understand OS modules. One may not get an in depth knowledge of OS design.
Max Perepelitsyn
Serves as a great complement to more applied books like Linux Kernel Development or Linux Device Drivers, filling all remaining theoretical gaps and providing the history of OS evolution.

Fits well for self-study. Almost every exercise, which there is a lot of, has a reference solution available either on the book's website or in the instructor's manual for the 7th edition, which can be easily found on the internet. Plus programming problems to gain a better understanding of essential OS topics.
Bhawna Singh
Mahesh Gupta
good material for theoretical aspects of operating system but they should also include Unix structure from in more detail.
Peter
(read this before Goodreads, added this review years after reading the book)

Probably enjoyed it.
Anca
Covered only the first part for an exam - added in case I ever want to go back to it.
Denim Datta
Beautiful book on Operating Systems. A must for beginner in computer science.
Perfect Score
I was able to grab the international 6th edition. This book was also the reference textbook for my CS350 (Operating Systems) course at uWaterloo. This book is more like a reference than an introduction to operating systems, but I found it to be easy to follow as I treated the book like a rigorous step-up from basic OS/hardware knowledge to the internal workings. Those who read up some Wikipedia articles about how operating systems work will follow along very easily. It is highly recommended that ...more
Amandeep Singh
Sep 15, 2014 Amandeep Singh marked it as to-read
good
Evan Snyder
This was the required book for my first Operating Systems Concepts class. As it was my first work in the subject, I have not read any similar books to compare and have no pre-existing knowledge to cross-check. With that novice disclaimer, I found this book to be very straightforward and readable with a number of relevant and up-to-date examples. Overall, a good outline of the requirements, components, and algorithms of a generic operating system.
Somnath Musib
This is the best book ever written on Operating systems. I had read it many times from my college days. Few concepts like process (scheduling, synchronization), memory management concepts are kind of classic. I read many other OS books like Tanenbaum, Stalings. But as per as the concepts are concerns, this is a must read book.

P.S: You should have patience in order to read this book. Its all theory and theory. :)
Vincent Russo
I agree with Nick's review in the sense that one learns the ins and outs of operating systems much more by actually getting their hands dirty and maybe even writing their own OS. This book doesn't really even take that approach, and if anything, has a fair amount of topical knowledge that won't be necessarily applicable a few years down the line. Not a bad book on OS, plus the dinosaurs are a plus.
David
A good reference for what happens under the hood of an operating system. The various chapters are covered in good detail, including searching, sorting, indexing, access paths, transactions, etc. Recommended for developers and database administrators wishing to know more about the underlying issues when it comes to optimized design and maximising potential.
Siddhesh Ajgaoncar
Beautiful book on Operating Systems.
A must for beginner in computer science.

Wish the print was large,since small print makes you sleepy when reading at night.
Apart from that, the textbook explains all concepts like processes,threads,deadlocks,a part of unix.. and some really interesting problems.
Adam
One of my college texts, I have never had a need to reference this since graduation. While the content is useful in gaining an understanding of how systems work, I believe this work would not be useful to most mainstream coders. If you are working in embedded systems, this would be useful.
Russell
Holy crow, Silberschatz operates on a whole other level than other technical writers.

This was such a brilliant book, I can't believe this (or the latest edition) isn't required reading for every Comp Sci degree out there.

I highly recommend this book to the computer geeks out there.
Timothy Culp
I learned about Operating Systems back in 1985 with Silverschatz first edition. Learned it again in 1988 with the 2nd Edition. Starting teaching it in 1998 with the 5th edition. Now my son is learning Operating Systems from the 7th edition. I think that constitutes a classic.
Andy
Not too bad of an introduction to operating systems. I don't think I could confidently say that I can now write my own operating system but I think I have a much better understanding of how they work and could more easily understand the innards of existing operating systems.
Joecolelife
Mar 20, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
I personally think this is a great book for a broad overview of OS's. Dont think it will go into any great programming detail, but there are other books for that. This is just for broad details. Very good for that reason I think.
Josh Davis
Great book on operating system concepts. I had to use this along with my OS class. The images and explanations were always pretty satisfying. Definitely check it out if you are looking for an introductory OS book.
Pranam K P
OS concepts is a really simple and easily understandable book for beginners and for people with basic knowledge about OS. This book gives a broad overview of all the topics related to OS design....
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Advanced Programming in the Unix (R) Environment
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • C++: How to Program
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • The Unix Programming Environment
  • Concepts of Programming Languages
  • Programming Perl

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Abraham Silberschatz is the Sidney J. Weinberg Professor & Chair of Computer Science at Yale University. Prior to joining Yale, he was the Vice President of the Information Sciences Research Center at Bell Laboratories. Prior to that, he held a chaired professorship in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professor Silberschatz is an ACM Fellow and an IEEE F
More about Abraham Silberschatz...
Database System Concepts Operating System Concepts Essentials Applied Operating Systems Concepts Operating System Concepts with Java Advanced Operating Systems Concepts