Start by marking “The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too” as Want to Read:

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  39 reviews
For Making Sense of Investing Today...the Fully Revised and Expanded Edition of the Bestselling The Motley Fool Investment Guide
Today, with the Internet, anyone can be an informed investor. Once you learn to tune out the hype and focus on meaningful factors, you can beat the Street.
The Motley Fool Investment Guide, completely revised and updated with clear and witty exp
Published January 2nd 2001 by Touchstone (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Motley Fool Investment Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Motley Fool Investment Guide

Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jun 19, 2009 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee Renee by: Ina from Richmond IBD meetup
Shelves: 2009, investing
Motley Fools stopped recommending its Dow Dividend Yield strategy in 2000.
This book explains some ways to interpret important information from income statements and balance sheets and this does not go out of date.
There website,, is more current than this book.
Re-reading this book reinforced a few impressions from before:
1. The Gardner brothers make much of the financial terminology easy to understand without making the person feel stupid;
2. They make reading financial statements fairly understandable, including how the three major ones (Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flow) inter-relate and what is most important on each;
3. They choose the most relevant financial formula's and explain them in easy to understand language and examples.

I would
I only got a little more than half-way through this, and while there's some good information in here, I lost interest after reading several reviews (here and online) that said that the investment method that they advocate has been debunked. That being said, the give some good advice, not the least of which is that people should invest in companies/industries that they have familiarity with, or worked in. I guess that's not really rocket-science, but it was news to me.

I think the other important
Pat Murphy
Interesting and written in a readable format. I have found though, that there is no real way to predict the stock market accurately all the time.
Phil Slattery
Good advice from respected investors.
Good readable book on how to invest. A few points:

• 80% of Mutual funds loose the the stock market average. Investing in an index fund that mirrors the market average will do better than mutual funds (especially since they have fees) over the long run.
•The first goal of investing is to get a greater return than 11% (which has been the historical average of the market over a 100 year period).
• Not taking enough risk is also a very risky decision.

I feel like my financial IQ has increased.
THE investment book any beginner or quasi-beginner investor should read. I really liked the flow and style of the book -- plenty of wit and humor laced throughout. Obviously, with any "how to" book, you should do additional research before blindly following its advice. That said, it was exactly what I was looking for, in that it provided a great foundation to get started researching companies and picking stocks.
Apr 23, 2012 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the stock market.
Recommended to Marc by: A friend from college.
I read this book when I was in my early 20's and it gave me a good approach to the stock market and how to view many options. This book, having kept my attention, made me become more interested in learning about the market as it was well written. The material was easy to understand and made sense.

Even though it's not considered the greatest learning tool, this book is fun and entertaining to the last page.
This has a lot of information in it, however the only problem I had is that many of the suggestions are outdated. In fact, one of their main investment ideas has been proven to not hold up as well as they thought. That aside, it definitly would be a good starter book for newbies to investing to at least get the ideas down, just don't use their specific investment suggestions until you research them further.
This is the book that got me hooked on The Motley Fool. Their method was really just a re-packaging of the Dogs of the Dow approach. The Gardeners have a personable manner about themselves and did a wonderful job of bringing the average person to Wall Street.

Of course, since then they have strayed from the advice they gave here; namely, don't pay others for the work you should do yourself.
I literally don't think I will ever finish this book. Breezily-written, but some of the references seemed dated even when I was reading it, oh, two years ago. Of course, there was also the little thing of the stock market tanking just as I was getting into the subject. Maybe I'll rejoin the effort at some point, but that's likely no time in the immediate future. Status: In a drawer somewhere.
Shea Mastison
These Fools obviously know what they're talking about. This book was well written and surprisingly funny. I feel much more comfortable with my investment decisions thus far, and plan on looking into more time-consuming ventures when I have the money to do so. If the stock market has ever seemed like a mystifying and occult thing; read this book, and become enlightened!
J.K. Battaglia
A good book for those who are looking to invest for the long-term horizon. For the short-term horizon, this book can be a good help but the entire basis of the book is for the long-term. Actually, they press to invest in a good stock for life. But if you follow the Motley Fool on the web, you'll find that they also do short-term trades, options, and such.
Grab this book if you are new to investing and at all interested in learning how to get started. Since I read this book and started following some of the ideas in it I have made giant improvements in my investment portfolio. If you already understand stocks and investing then it may not be of interest to you.
Much better than I expected considering it was dated (even revisions). For reasonably new investor I think the book covers a number of basic strategies, while being pretty objective. At the end of the day though it remains somewhat a pitch for their strategies as an investment group.
Dan Pittle
Some good take aways. Overall I couldn't get passed their incessant plugs to join their on-line website. After doing some research online about these guys I'm cautious about how they do things. Still an interesting and informative read nonetheless.
Easy to read - they explain EVERYTHING while keeping the subject light-hearted (and occasionally funny). Also, it makes investing much less daunting...of course, I haven't made an actual investment yet, but I am doing my homework!
Marie E.
Overall easy to understand guide to basic investment with a little humor mixed in, which is good for such a dry subject. Reference examples should be updated, and introductions to the internet should be overhauled in subsequent additions.
Amusing. Can be distilled thusly:

-be patient and skeptical
-run the numbers (see ch. 16)

Portfolio building:

-#s 2-5 on the DJIA <- does this still apply?
-undervalued small caps
-overvalued stagnators (short)
Nothing new for me from the first book. Convinced me to go for low cost index funds rather than individual stocks due to personal time constraints/interest as well as improved diversification with the funds.
Feb 01, 2008 Max rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Potential Investors
Recommended to Max by: Hal
Thrilling! just jokin. Not thrilling. Informative and easy to read. This one stands out from any other Wall Street books Ive attempted to read. This is also the only one I've ever finished!
I started to read this book, got about a third of the way through and realized I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. So, I'm going to put it on the back-burner and start over some time.
A fairly basic investing guide, which cleared up a few questions I had. Beyond that it didn't contain information that I haven't already read in other books, articles, blogs, etc.
Lowell Herr
While well written, one is better off investing in index funds and paying attention to the principles of Asset Allocation.

The Dogs of the Dow theory has been debunked.
Sean Morrison
Good starter investment guide for those looking for growth stocks. Too bad half the book has already been debunked (Foolish 4? How foolish to think it would be so easy).
Good introductory investing book, although I skimmed large parts of it. They do a lot of congratulating themselves on how well they picked stocks.
Christopher Brehm
Interesting read, however I have been convinced that investing in single stocks is risky and the best way to invest is with mutual funds.
Dave Hutson
Jan 26, 2015 Dave Hutson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dave by: Ricky Ashar
Shelves: investing, finance
A great beginners guide to investing in the stock market - without paying others to do it for you.
Salisu Umar
This book actually guided me in making a good return on my investment an investment a years ago.
Mike Nilson
Really good intro to stocks. Explains why mutual funds might not be the best route to go
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Term Sheets & Valuations: An Inside Look at the Intricacies of Term Sheets & Valuations
  • The Tao of Warren Buffett: Warren Buffett's Words of Wisdom - Quotations and Interpretations to Help Guide You to Billionaire Wealth and Enlightened Business Management
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Pay It Down!: From Debt to Wealth on $10 a Day
  • Jim Cramer's Getting Back to Even
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Energy of Money: A Spiritual Guide to Financial and Personal Fulfillment
  • Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Personal Finance for Dummies
  • Liberation Management
  • Value Migration: How to Think Several Moves Ahead of the Competition
Tom and David Gardner cofounded The Motley Fool, a multi-media financial education company, in 1993. Since then they have co-authored four New York Times bestsellers, including The Motley Fool Investment Guide and The Motley Fool's Rule Breakers, Rule Makers.

Librarian note:
Ther is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
More about David Gardner...
The Motley Fool You Have More Than You Think: The Foolish Guide to Personal Finance The Motley Fool Million Dollar Portfolio: How to Build and Grow a Panic-Proof Investment Portfolio The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of The Motley Fool's Rule Breakers, Rule Makers: The Foolish Guide to Picking Stocks The Motley Fool Personal Finance Workbook