Start by marking “New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna” as Want to Read:
New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna
Preview

New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna (Great Conversations)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Ultimate truth. The destiny of souls. The individual heart. Can Krishna and Jesus agree on anything?

This is what Subramaniam, a real-life Hindu of the twentieth century, wonders as he enters a fictitious conversation between two religious figures who have changed the lives of millions. As Jesus and Krishna respond to each other’s view of life and the afterlife, they speak
Published November 2nd 2010 by Multnomah Books (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about New Birth or Rebirth?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Birth or Rebirth?

Honeypie
I was very much influenced by my trip to India, that I wanted to learn more of their very rich (and not-quite-tainted) culture. And their religion has pretty much a huge impact, so I bought this not-cheap-for-a-short-and-thin book.

This was O-kay.

Actually, it's a bit hard to discern. Because they have too many "gods", too many stories, too many characters.

But us Christians, we only have One. (And of course, the Only One. :D)

I'm just glad I wasn't swayed, or even got more curious of their religion
Christian Proano
Main points on argument:

Origin of deities in himduism give the impression to be miths or legends.

Krishna is not sure to be a historical person but and abstracts of ideas

Ideas in his philosofies or way of life are contradictories

Even though he represents god and gods in person, he says that god is impersonal.

Main god who supposedly knows everything, beheaded his own son not knowing that he was... then beheaded an elephant and put its head to his son.

Life is so sacred that hindus not even kill a c
Mike B
A pretty entertaining read. Trying to unpack the basic concepts of Hinduism and how they differ from the Christian gospel is a challenge. Ravi Zacharias has done an amazing job of communicating this and keeps it on the lower shelf for his readers. By writing this in a dialogue between Jesus and Krishna (and a couple of regular humans!) Ravi has hit on a way of communicating that moves the reader along in a way that is both instructive and entertaining.

My one critical point is that the book is on
Michelle
More like 3.5 stars

Comprehensive and easy to read and understand, Birth or Rebirth covers many of the similarities and differences between Hinduism and Christianity through fictional dialogue. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to better understand Hinduism, or those who have friends who are searching for truth, or believe that all religions point to the same God.
Tonya
I may have to read it a second time to truly take any meaning from this book, however with that said I'm not sure I really like it. I'm on the fence about this book...

There was some significant things that Ravi Zacharias hit upon that I always question about religion, such as why there is organized religion when God wouldn't really want it that way, and many other questions. But at the same time I feel as though Mr. Zacharias is really attacking and forcing someone to believe in Christ, rather t
Jerrod
Jonathan McPeters
"New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna" by Ravi Zacharias

This short book is part of Ravi Zacharias' "Great Conversations" series, and portrays a fictional conversation between Jesus and Krishna about the greatest differences between Christianity and Hinduism. In it, the author attempts to take ideas directly from segments of each faith's sacred texts and place them in context within the conversation. He also inserts a "third party" character into the conversation that is able to ask qu
Mark Wood
This one is in that genera of imaginary dialogues. It takes the character of Jesus from what we know of him in the New Testament, and it takes what we know of Krishna from the Bhagavad Gita. (Jesus does a good job by the way :-)

Ravi does a great job of explaining what many Hindu Brahmans believe, but if you want to know what a Hindu believes, you've just got to ask him or her, because that actual beliefs of individual Hindus are extremely diverse.
Scottie
I liked this book. Easy to read and it gives a really good view of how Christians and Hindus are similar in some ways, but vastly different in most. A conversation between Krishna and Jesus is an interesting thought and it really will make people think deeply about what they believe. He explains in a very easy to understand way the beliefs of both sides. I am looking forward to reading more of Ravi Zacharias' books in the future. I have a lot of respect for him and was very glad to have had this ...more
Jeff
This was a quick read, and a very, very informative book for me. It helped me to understand alot of the different philosophy, and religiosity of Hinduism and why it does appeal to people.

Ravi has a very imaginative mind, and yet a very scholarly mind, to be able to engage with two great world figures in a very honest way, fair way and easy to understand (somewhat) way.

I can't wait for future titles, and I can't wait to engage my friends about the content of this book, though it's only 86 pages
Ishanie
I won this selection here in the First Reads giveaway.

It's a short and interesting selection based on what sort of conversation Jesus Christ and Krishna (of the Hindu religion) would have if in the same room. Questions are provided by a third person and the two proceed to debate about them.

It's an easy read and holds your attention throughout and the only complaint I have is that I wish there were more (hence 4 stars rather than 5)!

I look forward to reading Ravi Zacharias's other works! Thank
Renata Sutton
I learned a lot from this book.
Ruthie
wonderful and thought provoking
Harika
This book is really very well written by Ravi Zacharias,loved reading it .Will be really helpful for people who crave for TRUTH.
I like one profound point that Ravi mentioned in the book ,which is this "All religions are NOT fundamentally equal and superficially different but all religions are fundamentally different and may be superficially same " and it is True.

Michele(mluker) Luker
with just starting this book, I find myself pleasantly surprised that I am so far enjoying it. The humorous side of it and the information explaining traditions of Hinduism is intreguing.

I found that I enjoyed this book. A conversation between Jesus and Krishna was very interesting, easy to follow, and relaxing listening to them discussing like "regular" people.
Todd Richmond
Well, the first of the "Great Conversations" series that Ive had the pro ledge to read. I actually enjoy the way it presented the difference between Hinduism and Christianity. Lots of great quotes as usual by Ravi Zacharias. It has now sparked my curiosity and desire to read the rest of the books that are a part of this series.
Laura Ansley
I really enjoyed this book. I bought it for a friend who is into Hare Krishna, and read it before I gave it to him.
It was easy to understand, informative, and interesting. Ravi has a wonderful sense of humour. I was a little disappointed that it didn't talk about karma, and the reason "bad" things happen to good people.
Stephen
A good look at the differences between faith in Jesus and the philosophical beliefs of Krishna. I found the story Ravi Zacharias was telling this time stayed out of the way of the discussion. A worthwhile read to better understand both faith in Jesus and other worldviews.
Jacki
This book is overflowing with powerful thoughts and fascinating descriptions of the Hindu culture and religion from a man who was born Hindu brahman, turned atheist, turned Christian. Half the book is now underlined and the other half has notes written in the margin--the sign of a truly thought provoking book!
Alan
As with all of Ravi's works, I'm most satisfied. It was well rounded in its approach to Hinduism and charitable when describing Krishna. It allowed me to see Krishna from an alternative perspective.I would highly recommend...
Aaron Carlberg
This is a book where Jesus has a dialog with Krishna and subtly shows the stark differences between Christianity and Hinduism. Ravi Zacharias does a few books like this and I always enjoy them.
Ashish Jaituni
This is not a good book when compared to the others in the 'great conversation' series though parts of it are! Ravi has even got some facts wrong! It does have some good arguments though!
Kieth
Dec 16, 2010 Kieth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in spiritual conversations
This was the second book I read in the series of "Jesus talks with..." I did not find it as good as Jesus talks with Buddha. Nevertheless, it was informative.
Rod
What a fun book. It's way too short, but it'll have to do.

The whole point of this tale: Jesus is God...and Krishna isn't. Get over it Krishna.

Keith Brooks
Some of the writing was terse but overall the concept is well executed .

I will definitely be using this as a reference .
Obed Huerta
Fantastica comparación entre el mensaje eterno de Cristo y la vacia vida reeligiosa del hinduismo...
Brenda
This book portrays an easy-to-follow comparison/contrast of Hinduism and biblical Christianity.
Bradley Eylander
Not much apologetics, just explains the main difference between Christianity and Hinduism
Pieter Lombaard
Informative and inventive but we have to be careful before we put words in Jesus' mouth.
Vandan Raj
Vandan Raj marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • Four Views on the Historical Adam
  • God, Freedom, and Evil
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Time And Eternity: Exploring God's Relationship To Time
  • What Have They Done with Jesus? Beyond Strange Theories & Bad History-Why We Can Trust the Bible
  • Four Views on Divine Providence
  • Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith
  • Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law & Education
  • The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism
  • Culture Shift: Engaging Current Issues with Timeless Truth (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics
  • When Skeptics Ask
  • Godforsaken: Bad Things Happen. Is There a God Who Cares? Yes. Here's Proof.
  • Breaking the Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
More about Ravi Zacharias...

Great Conversations (5 books)
  • Prince And The Prophet (Great Conversations)
  • Sense and Sensuality: Jesus Talks to Oscar Wilde on the Pursuit of Pleasure (Great Conversations)
  • The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha
  • The Lamb and the Fuhrer: Jesus Talks with Hitler (Great Conversations)
Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message Can Man Live Without God The Grand Weaver: How God Shapes Us Through the Events of Our Lives Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows The End of Reason: A Response to the New Atheists