Start by marking “Good Night Sam” as Want to Read:
Good Night Sam

Good Night Sam (Sam)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  141 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In Good Night, Sam Marie-Louise Gay has created another charming picture book about Stella’s little brother.

"Stella," whispered Sam, "are you sleeping?"
"Yes," answered Stella. "Aren’t you?"

Sam can’t sleep without his beloved dog, Fred. But where could he be? Sam knows that Fred is afraid of the dark, of the monster that lives in the closet and of the giant toad that lurks
Published August 19th 2003 by Groundwood Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night Sam

Kimberly
Good Night Sam by Marie Louise Gay is an adorable book that portrays a sweet relationship between a big sister and a little brother. Sam can't sleep in this bedtime book, and so his sister Stella tries to help Sam find what he needs to be able to go to sleep. We are big fans of the Stella and Sam series, we love them.
Candice
Apr 08, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Stella Princess of the Sky, I had to read more of Marie-Louise Gay's books. This one, featuring Sam and his big sister Stella, is just as sweet as the other one. Sam can't go to sleep, and it's because he misses his dog Fred. Stella helps him to look for Fred, and when she asks if Fred could be under Sam's bed, Sam tells her that Fred sneezes when he is under the bed. Similarly, Fred wouldn't be hiding in the closet because a monster lives there, and Fred wouldn't be downstairs bec ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This story about bedtime deals with a classic nighttime conundrum. Sam's dog, Fred is missing, and he must be found, because Fred just can't sleep without Sam. Stella, the lovable and ever-wise older sister, helps in the hunt. A great story about kindness toward siblings and a reflection of many bedtime experiences from my own childhood.
Adam
Feb 03, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
Good night stories are all ways the best picture books! Sam reveals his worries and fears he has of the house at night while he and sister search for the dog... cause Sam just can't sleep without him. Like most things in life we search for... the dog was right there with him all along. Great story about siblings caring for each other and just right for the toddler/early preschooler crowd.
Monica
Dec 26, 2013 Monica rated it liked it
Like Stella Star of the Sea, this feels just shy of a really great book. The sibling pair is truly a sweet relationship. I love the illustrations. I want to love the book, but it's missing something (albeit not as loudly as in Stella Star of the Sea).
Miss Sarah
Apr 23, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Sam can't sleep because Fred the dog is missing or is he? Sister Stella helps search in the middle of night but where could say be? He doesn't like any of the places they look. Cute and is that Sam?
Amy
Jan 10, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-book
This is a cute book with great illustrations. However, I would not use this book for Storytime as the story is quite simple. It is better suited for a kid reading with the help of an adult
Leyla
Jun 17, 2015 Leyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-jennifer
So cute!!! I love Fred. We had fun spotting him in different places as we turned the pages. Great books, the Small Stella and Sam Stories.
Dee
Jul 11, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute one by Marie-Louise Gay. Easy to understand, but I still had to look up a couple of the words. Just right for my level, and the story is entertaining.
Emily
Jun 25, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was cute; my kids enjoyed the pics--after I showed them what was funny. School age kids will get more out of this book.
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Eleana
Eleana rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Renata Wurster
Renata Wurster rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Torrey
Torrey rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2009
Morgen
Morgen rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Alyse Barker
Alyse Barker rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Merrilee
Merrilee rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Angelica Galiano
Angelica Galiano rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Celine
Celine rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Griffin
Griffin rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Coody Homeschool
Coody Homeschool rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Dafne Romero
Dafne Romero rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
Sarah O'brien
Sarah O'brien rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marie-Louise Gay is the illustrator of many award-winning children's books. She is from Montreal, Canada.
More about Marie-Louise Gay...

Sam (4 books)
  • Good Morning Sam
  • What Are You Doing, Sam?
  • Sam!: A Little Treasury