Start by marking “Good Night Sam” as Want to Read:
Good Night Sam

Good Night Sam (Sam)

In Good Night, Sam Marie-Louise Gay has created another charming picture book about Stella’s little brother.

"Stella," whispered Sam, "are you sleeping?"
"Yes," answered Stella. "Aren’t you?"

Sam can’t sleep without his beloved dog, Fred. But where could he be? Sam knows that Fred is afraid of the dark, of the monster that lives in the closet and of the giant toad that lurks
Published August 19th 2003 by Groundwood Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Night Sam

Candice
Apr 08, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Stella Princess of the Sky, I had to read more of Marie-Louise Gay's books. This one, featuring Sam and his big sister Stella, is just as sweet as the other one. Sam can't go to sleep, and it's because he misses his dog Fred. Stella helps him to look for Fred, and when she asks if Fred could be under Sam's bed, Sam tells her that Fred sneezes when he is under the bed. Similarly, Fred wouldn't be hiding in the closet because a monster lives there, and Fred wouldn't be downstairs bec ...more
Kimberly
Good Night Sam by Marie Louise Gay is an adorable book that portrays a sweet relationship between a big sister and a little brother. Sam can't sleep in this bedtime book, and so his sister Stella tries to help Sam find what he needs to be able to go to sleep. We are big fans of the Stella and Sam series, we love them.
Miss Sarah
Apr 23, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Sam can't sleep because Fred the dog is missing or is he? Sister Stella helps search in the middle of night but where could say be? He doesn't like any of the places they look. Cute and is that Sam?
Leyla
Jun 17, 2015 Leyla rated it it was amazing
So cute!!! I love Fred. We had fun spotting him in different places as we turned the pages. Great books, the Small Stella and Sam Stories.
Adam
Feb 03, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
Good night stories are all ways the best picture books! Sam reveals his worries and fears he has of the house at night while he and sister search for the dog... cause Sam just can't sleep without him. Like most things in life we search for... the dog was right there with him all along. Great story about siblings caring for each other and just right for the toddler/early preschooler crowd.
Katie Fitzgerald
This story about bedtime deals with a classic nighttime conundrum. Sam's dog, Fred is missing, and he must be found, because Fred just can't sleep without Sam. Stella, the lovable and ever-wise older sister, helps in the hunt. A great story about kindness toward siblings and a reflection of many bedtime experiences from my own childhood.
Monica
Dec 26, 2013 Monica rated it liked it
Like Stella Star of the Sea, this feels just shy of a really great book. The sibling pair is truly a sweet relationship. I love the illustrations. I want to love the book, but it's missing something (albeit not as loudly as in Stella Star of the Sea).
Amy
Jan 10, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-book
This is a cute book with great illustrations. However, I would not use this book for Storytime as the story is quite simple. It is better suited for a kid reading with the help of an adult
Dee
Jul 11, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute one by Marie-Louise Gay. Easy to understand, but I still had to look up a couple of the words. Just right for my level, and the story is entertaining.
Emily
Jun 25, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was cute; my kids enjoyed the pics--after I showed them what was funny. School age kids will get more out of this book.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I really liked the pictures and the interactions between the brother and sister.
Lindsay
A good lap sit story for preschoolers. See if you can spot Fred on every page!
Jane G Meyer
Jan 31, 2009 Jane G Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sam... you are too cute. This is another winner by Marie-Louise Gay.
Tiffany Du
Tiffany Du rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Anastasija
Anastasija rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Vivianne Zumba
Vivianne Zumba marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Emily Brady
Emily Brady rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Katie Casey
Katie Casey rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Varsha
Varsha added it
Jun 03, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Melanie Bailey
Melanie Bailey marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Laura added it
Apr 15, 2016
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marie-Louise Gay is the illustrator of many award-winning children's books. She is from Montreal, Canada.
More about Marie-Louise Gay...

Sam (4 books)
  • Good Morning Sam
  • What Are You Doing, Sam?
  • Sam!: A Little Treasury