Start by marking “Conceptual Physics: Media Update” as Want to Read:
Conceptual Physics: Me...

Paul G. Hewitt

Conceptual Physics: Media Update

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Since defining this course 30 years ago, Paul Hewitt's best-selling text continues to be the benchmark book that two-thirds of professors use and by which all others are judged. In Conceptual Physics Media Update, Tenth Edition, Paul Hewitt shows how a compelling text and the most advanced media can be integrated to empower professors as they bring physics to life for non- ...more
Published July 10th 2008 by Addison Wesley Longman (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Conceptual Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conceptual Physics

Beth
Apr 16, 2008 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sciencephiles
Shelves: good-science
Paul Hewitt is amazing! He's a natural educator with a special gift for taking something that's always taught mathematically and therefore rather intimidating to many, and explaining it at a simplistic level that makes even the biggest math-phobe say "Of COURSE! How obvious!"
Quick Paul Hewitt story: When he was on Kaua`i I had the pleasure of taking him around to three or four different schools and watching him teach the SAME lesson ... how to put an object into orbit around the planet ... to th
Thomas Stama
Interesting text. I am not that much into physics unlike the crowd on the tv show Big Bang Theory. But I was a bit alarmed at one page in the text about our planet Earth. I got the feeling that the author seems ready to cast aside Earth. Almost an attitude of that it is like Earth is an egg and we are the chick within. The shell and egg white will be used up and cast aside while we go fly off in space ships.

This was page 7 and I quote:

"We seem to be at the dawn of a major change in human growth,
LB
Mar 23, 2008 LB rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LB by: an astronomy geek
Shelves: science
This book is nothing short of brilliant. It is so rare to find someone who understands a complex topic so well AND knows how to explain it. Yay Paul Hewitt!
Sean Evans
Conceptual Physics (7th Edition) by Paul G. Hewitt (1993)
Ray
Eh...not so bad. I made a B in the class.
Joecolelife
Mar 23, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
This book has lots of cartoons and great everyday examples of how physics applies to our lives. This is my first physics book to study with and I've enjoyed it so far. Hewitt doesn't seem to focus too much on the mathematics of physicis in this text. However, he does an exceptional job at explaining how the mathematic formulas are created and the concepts behind the formula's existence. If you want a textbook that's great at explaining ideas of physics to help you better understand why certain f ...more
Joecolelife
Mar 23, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
As a High School physics teacher I appreciate a text that will convey the ideas of Physics without requiring a profound understanding of Math. If you need a more advanced course -- take an AP course using an advanced book, like Giancoli's. However, if all you want is a basic understanding of the concepts of physics, this is the book for you. One important point -- a thorough understanding of this book will answer every question on the FCI (a test used by some college professors to determine thei ...more
Wanda
Jan 07, 2015 Wanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
I rented this book for a class. As a student, I can say that this book made elementary physics so understandable that I am considering buying a copy for future reference. I also found the author, Paul G. Hewitt, on youtube demonstrating the physics that he teaches in the book. He makes physics fun and he uses plain language to explain the concepts. Hewitt is a top-notch teacher. I enjoyed his book very much. I passed the class with an "A".
Robert
This was the textbook we used for my VI Form optics class. That year I took physics and calculus as well. I struggled with them, but I loved my optics class. This book seemed to explain the concepts in much easier language for me.

I kept it all these years thinking I may refer to it.
May 21, 2012 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: required by my high school physics class
From the synopsis:
"Learning is greatly increased when students do the step-by-step concept development in this book."

Off to "increase" my learning, guys.
Suaad Alsaggaf
Wonderful!
handy physics a deep conceptions in a simple way.
I've learned much physics from it better than many courses I took in university.. honestly!
Terry
Better than the average physics textbook. Provides a clearer understanding of concepts than other texts I've had assigned for later courses on the subject.
Me. Not you; me.
Sep 11, 2007 Me. Not you; me. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in physics class
it's a life saver. it's an excuse from not paying attention at the same time, its graphics and information is fun to read (or at least better than listen)
Jiarong Shi
This is a college general physics book which not the most popular but most lovely and interesting. Or maybe just look his drawings!
Alon Gutman
Read it when I was 13, I really recommend it for teens, really fun to read, and great intro to physics.
Mary Emily O'Hara
i love this physics text! it focuses on the concepts and applications rather than a bunch of crazy calculus.
Andy Maligalig
This book makes Physics sorta interesting. :)) Ang ganda kasi nung mala-comics na drawings/diagrams eh. :D
Erica Nabena
buku referensi yang di pake selama ngontrak fisika umum, kepake juga di fisika dasar 1
Kamran Siddique
i want to study this book completely to review all fundamental of physics.
Paula
This was a great book and one that explained Physics very well.
Darl chiu
Sep 05, 2007 Darl chiu added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students!
nothing can be better than CONCEPTUAL PHYSICS by Paul Hewitt! haha..
Anna Tatelman
Easy to understand and follow. No complaints.
Manish
Dec 16, 2012 Manish is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
read
Sri
Sri marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Tarkani Abahnanda
Tarkani Abahnanda marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Mahmoud
Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Fundamentals of Physics
  • The Instant Physicist: An Illustrated Guide
  • Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics [With Student Resource Access Code]
  • The Cosmic Perspective
  • Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics [With Free Access to Website Study Aids]
  • Lectures on Quantum Mechanics
  • Vector Calculus
  • Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations: Finite Difference Methods 3rd Edition
  • Organic Chemistry
  • The New Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form
  • Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 1
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • The World's Last Mysteries
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Thumb Index))
  • Antipatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
  • Einstein
Conceptual Physics Conceptual Physical Science Conceptual Physics Media Update (10th Edition) Conceptual Integrated Science Conceptual Physics (Lab Manual)