Start by marking “To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo” as Want to Read:
To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo

To War With Wellington: From The Peninsula To Waterloo

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This is the seven-year campaign that saved Europe from Napoleon told by those who were there. What made Arthur Duke of Wellington the military genius who was never defeated in battle? Peter Snow recalls how Wellington evolved from a backward, sensitive schoolboy into the aloof but brilliant commander.
Published September 1st 2010 by John Murray Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To War With Wellington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To War With Wellington

Andrew Fish
Military histories are not something I normally go for, but caught short of fresh reading material, I picked this one up from my wife's finished pile (my wife being greatly interested in the Napoleonic Wars). The result was a pleasant surprise.

What Peter Snow has done is to humanize the conflict. There are, as expected, the usual block diagrams of troop arrangements, but instead of harping on the tactical advantages of hills or the importance of securing flanks, Snow's emphasis is, instead, on t
'Aussie Rick'
This new biography on the Duke of Wellington by Peter Snow is an excellent addition to the many books on this British General. The book mainly covers Wellington’s time in the Peninsular with fourteen of twenty chapters devoted to that campaign. The final four chapters obviously cover the lead up to, and the conclusion of, the Battle of Waterloo.

In just over 316 pages the author provides an excellent account of this period and Wellington’s role in defeating Napoleonic France. Although I may not
Tom Paver
A rip-roaringly good read that would stir any man's heart - or at least the heart of any man suspicious of France and all its doings.

I simply couldn't put it down as we marched from one great battle to another, viewing the whole Peninsula enterprise through the written records of the men who were there throughout, from 1807 all the way to Waterloo in 1815.

Arthur Wellesley's leadership, drive and professionalism shines through and you are constantly left wondering why on earth the French (a) let
Aaron Booth
A big fan of all things Napoleonic era, I saw this and just had to have it. It is as good as I had hoped and then some.

The way Peter Snow writes gets the reader drawn into that time and keeps you turning the page eager for more. It is filled with everything from historical notes to anecdotes from real soldiers of the time. My favourite being from a captain of the rifle regiment who found his men stranded onboard a ship for several days whilst docked. He said that the delay was tedious and dull b
Jack Gibson
An extensively well sourced and highly engaging narrative about the life and times of Wellington, his men and the Peninsular Campaign, strongly built up from writings of those who were actually there.

A different period of history compared to my normal reading, but right from the start I found this a refreshingly welcome episode to my reading-life. An interesting point in British Imperial history.

This book is all the more richer for the artistic illustrations within.

Whether you want an engaging
Matt
A very interesting book with a good strong narrative. I enjoyed the final chapter very much, it was interesting to find out what happened to those who were instrumental to the campaigns it reminded me of the end of Band of Brothers, where the soldiers all go their seperate ways. Quite moving.
Rich Shepherd
Superb read with enough personal narrative to contextualise the strategy and tactics Wellington employed. The last section about Waterloo could not be put down drawing you into the battle by the threads of the characters involved, not least Napoleon.

Luke O'Neill
very readable but no real new revealations, good for a general overview of Wellington but too vague on the battles
Michael Cargill Cargill
Interesting stuff, for those who are interested in history!
David Stimpson
very interesting and eye opening book ..
Sara Willard
Sara Willard marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Tricia
Tricia is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Scott McPherson
Scott McPherson marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Lee Charlton
Lee Charlton marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
James Conibear
James Conibear marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Gordon
Gordon marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When Britain Burned the White House: The 1814 Invasion of Washington The World's Greatest Twentieth Century Battlefields Battlefield Britain: From Boudicca to the Battle of Britain Jesus: Man, Not Myth Leila's Hijack War: The True Story Of 25 Days In September, 1970