Start by marking “Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them” as Want to Read:
Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them

Immigrants: Your Country Needs Them

Immigration divides our globalizing world like no other issue. We are swamped by illegal immigrants and infiltrated by terrorists, our jobs stolen, our welfare system abused, our way of life destroyed--or so we are told. At a time when National Guard units are deployed alongside vigilante Minutemen on the U.S.-Mexico border, where the death toll in the past decade now exce
Published July 15th 2007 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Immigrants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immigrants

Frank D'hanis junior
Well-argued and well-written, but unfortunately all the praise for Israël at the end made my skin crawl.
Mark
Aug 17, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Philip Legrain’s book documents the case for immigration through cultural, economic and humanitarian necessity. Many myths are dispelled here including the supposed benefits culture that attracts lazy migrants and the “stealing” of jobs by economic migrants. Legrain’s polemic is very timely in an age of great uncertainty and propaganda from the right wing in politics to reach for a culture of blame and scapegoating those weaker than ourselves for our own problems. The benefits to developed ...more
Coco Ho
Dec 24, 2013 Coco Ho rated it really liked it
In layman language, Legrain convincingly argues for loosening border control to allow more immigrants to work and live in well off countries. Compared to millions of dollars of foreign aid, immigration is not only more effective and practical in helping people improve their living standards in developing countries, it also benefits rich countries in meeting their labour needs, as well as creates a multicultural environment for ideas to flourish and materialise, and essentially raising living ...more
Emilie
May 07, 2011 Emilie rated it really liked it
An excellent argument for open borders. My only serious complaint is that Legrain still writes as though "us" and "them" exist and are clearly demarcated. True, he's talking to the people in power, the people who style themselves "us" and are capable of keeping a "them", however defined, out. But he hasn't quite made the imaginative leap to a place where this binary is irrelevant.
Clare
Aug 21, 2013 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: general-interest
Interesting thesis. Well argued, illustrated with anecdotes and statistics and made Legrain's underlying philosophy clear. But I wasn't engaged for the full 16 chapters. Later chapters addressed objections I don't have/wasn't aware of.
Angela
Gives the reasons to include immigrants in workforce policy, including stimulating the economy by having more consumers, having the benefit of well-educated people in entry-level jobs, having an infusion of people with good family values.
David Oren
Nov 22, 2014 David Oren rated it liked it
The book says immigrants are good, which I'm not so sure about. Still it was interesting to see his point of view that immigrants to developed countries actually help by filling low paying wages that other people won't fill.
Stephen
Aug 14, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
An excellent book setting out the arguments for migration. An excellent concise book that will challenge your perceptions of immigration.
Cassandra Wilkinson
Nov 06, 2007 Cassandra Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
That freedom of movement shouldn't be the preserve of the wealthy. the world's poor need to overcome the tyranny of borders too - for all of our sakes.
Ann
Mar 19, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
He's far too generous with the empirics of the literature he reviews, as well as with the gigantic leaps in assumptions he makes at any given time which in some instances are contradictory.
Rodolfo Quesada
Mar 13, 2013 Rodolfo Quesada rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
As a software engineer looking for opportunities abroad, I read this book and found it quite inspirational, but unfortunately also shows the hardships of people that want to emigrate.
Fredtsao
Fredtsao rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2008
Hb lipton
Hb lipton rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Corynn
Corynn rated it liked it
May 22, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2012
Choong Chiat
Choong Chiat rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Joe Pettersson
Joe Pettersson rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Walton
Walton rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Mark LA
Mark LA rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Praveen Prakash
Praveen Prakash rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Wes
Wes rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2008
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Fraser-Jay Myers
Fraser-Jay Myers rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Andrés Franco Medina-Mora
Jun 19, 2009 Andrés Franco Medina-Mora rated it really liked it
Anyone interested in the subject of migration should read this book.
Cory Hazlehurst
Cory Hazlehurst rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
A.R.B.
A.R.B. rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Chrys Cymri
Chrys Cymri rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
JoAnna
JoAnna rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Vitamin P2: New Perspectives in Painting
  • Art in Theory 1900-1990: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
  • Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey
  • After Hegemony: Cooperation and Discord in the World Political Economy
  • Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water
  • The Idea of Communism
  • The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
  • Starting & Running Your Own Small Farm Business: Small-Farm Success Stories * Financial Assistance Sources * Marketing & Selling Ideas * Business Plan Forms & Documents
  • Bhimayana
  • Hard Work: Life In Low Pay Britain
  • Fragile by Design: The Political Origins of Banking Crises and Scarce Credit
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola

“Whenever people talk in the abstract about the pros and cons of immigration, one should not forget that immigrants are individual human beings whose lives happen not to fit neatly within national borders – and that like all human beings, they are all different.
How different, though? Different better, or different worse? Such basic questions underlie whether people are willing to accept outsiders in their midst”
3 likes