Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)

Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  7,028 ratings  ·  120 reviews
The classic graphic novel. Tintin tries to take a vacation, but while on his cruise ship a mystery unfolds! He meets Dr. Sarcophagus who leads him to the undiscovered tomb of the Pharaoh Kih-Oskh.
Paperback, American Edition, 62 pages
Published April 30th 1975 by Little, Brown and Co. (first published December 8th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Cigars of the Pharaoh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cigars of the Pharaoh

Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
Interesting!! i think i know who is the gangster! but waiting for the plot to reveal the person!!

very interesting when compared to the earlier parts!! I enjoed reading and its a page turner!!tintin is one of the best comics i have ever rad or probably the best! it has interesting twists and the adventures are wonderful and fundeful!

i wish i too have a dog like snowy!! Tintin is the sherlock holmes of the comic world! his ways of solving may not be too typical lke holmes but is quite interesting...more
David Sarkies
Apr 18, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyboy who loves a rollicking good adventure
Recommended to David by: Primary School Library
Shelves: adventure
The first of Tintin's full length adventures
4 February 2012

This is the story where Tintin comes on his own. While it was still written in a serialised form when it first appeared back in 1934, this story has a proper story arc where Tintin stumbles on a sophisticated drug smuggling ring that stretches across the entire Eurasian continent. It is here that Tintin's companions begin to be developed (namely the Thompson twins) and we also begin to see Tintin going on real adventures and chasing aft...more
Annchan Maulana
Cigars of the Pharaoh is one of Tintin's earliest adventures. He and Snowy are on a cruise to Egypt when they happen to meet Professor Sophocles Sarcophagus (the first of Tintin's absent-minded professors) and join his expedition. But they become embroiled in a complicated scheme involving a fakir, cigars marked with an unusual brand, and Rajijah, the poison of madness. Most significantly, Tintin meets the detectives Thompson and Thomson as well as the movie mogul Rastapopolous. While Cigars of...more
Kim
Continuing on with my adventures with Tintin. This time Tintin is traveling on a cruise when he comes across a strange conspiracy involving cigars, an odd mark and a secret boss. It also introduces the first of the nutty professors who'll eventually become Professor Cornelius.

So far the best in my reread this is how I remember Tintin. The introduction of the Thomson Twins was good to see. I look forward to the rest of the series now it's broken out of it's racist origination.
Abhinav
2.5 to 3 stars. Ah well, I just about liked it.

Not the best of plots I've come across in Tintin (despite the expectations I had after seeing the cover) but I can understand that given this is one of Herge's earliest works in the series. Liked how British India was portrayed & the amount of globe-trotting undertaken but the story was bit too messed-up for my liking.
Tim Taylor
I learned from reading other reviews that this is one of the earlier TinTin books, a stitch-up and redrawing of earlier weekly comic strips. I could tell the origin in a weekly strip when reading the book because the plot meanders. It’s a little like some of the Roger Moore era Bond films: the plot goes off on tangents but it’s so enjoyable to watch that it doesn’t seem to matter.

Then there are the frequent cliffhangers from which TinTin (and the plot) escape through convenient coincidences and...more
Maia
This volume is a bit more whimsical than some of the later books, including lots of conversational contributions on Snowy's part, a scene where Tintin is drugged and hallucinates the image of himself as a baby, and a scene in which he carves a "trumpet" out of a tree trunk so that he can communicate with the elephants who have temporarily adopted him as their doctor. ("SOL-LAH-TE-DOH means 'yes.'") (Reading this in the middle of the night when I woke up sick may have made it more surreal.) There...more
Rauf
Ever since I read the preview about Charles Burns's X'ed Out and my editor's comment about a scene in my script that felt Tintin-ish, I kinda wanna read the entire comics in the series.

But first on X'ed Out.

X'ed Out by Charles Burns

Burns said this new series of his was "Tintin meets William S. Burroughs"...which got me all excited. The protagonist's name was Nitnit (yes, it does sounded ridiculous) and on the cover we could see an object that looked like the giant mushroom on the cover of The Shooting Star.

The Shooting Star (The Adventures of Tintin) by Hergé

As for Ciga...more
Dan
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead...more
Moa Bernhardsson
A quite enjoyable read with lots of fun and mysterious things happening. Tintin has developed as a character and the introduction of Thomson & Thompson also added a nice touch to the story and took it to a new level.
Michael
Thankfully, this was a vast improvement upon the previous book, Tintin In America. The plotting was tighter and the character of Tintin starting to be more developed.

The funny bits were actually funny, which helped, and the introduction of Thompson and Thomson gave the story an added dimension missing from the previous book.

So, a better offering and a nice set up for the next volume, The Blue Lotus.
Andrea Ika
The Cigars of the Pharaoh was the beginning of Tintin's adventures leaving, at least for the big picture, the realm of the episodic and getting into big story arcs with returning characters (this is the book that introduces Thomson and Thompson or (les Duponts in the original French) who would become two of the series' most beloved characters).
Cigars Of The Pharaoh' traverses the pyramids of Egypt, the deserts of Arabia, the jungles and palaces of India; and sees a vacationing Tintin stumbling...more
Tony
My grade = 88% - B+

Ironically, although I've been a Tintin fan most of my life, this is the first Tintin book I've actually read.

This book is one of the very first "graphic novels" written in 1934 by Belgian writer Georges Remi (who reversed his initials - GR to RG - and spelled them out as his pen name).

I first came across these graphic novels in 1968 when I was a student in France. Tintin is a young Belgian reporter who has many adventures with his dog Snowy (English version) and a repeat list...more
Michael Gerald Dealino
I started reading the Tintin adventures when I was in primary school. This is one of the earliest adventures of Tintin and it started his confrontation with the international villain Rastapopulous.

The Tintin books often drew on the political and social issues of the time, and in this book, Herge takes on the global problem of drug trafficking.
Hengky
i get this comic in my childhood, and that was the first time i choose to read comic rather than played outside. i like his drawing, the background is realistic. his comics make me want to go around the world and get to know the culture or the peoples.

until now i still read comic books
Ardzuna Sinaga
May 25, 2007 Ardzuna Sinaga rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every comic lovers!
Shelves: greatcomics
My first comic ever! Thanks to my old folks for open up my eyes to this great comic. I feel like already went around the world long before i did just by being drenched in the pages of Tintin marvelous adventures...
Andre
All right, this is more like it. After suffering through the propaganda of In the Land of the Soviets and the cringing racism and animal violence of Tintin in the Congo, I've finally stopped at a Tintin book that was a fun read. This is the first one that felt like it could legitimately influenced something like Indiana Jones or The Goonies or something.

I would recommend starting here if you want to get into Tintin as I think this is probably the first decent collection (or graphic album as Her...more
Inggita
the scariest of all Tintins' adventure... joining a purple Klansman meetup...
Jasmine
i've read this a billion times
取るに足らない (tina) (hiatus: school)
This book is the book i disliked the most besides Tintin in Congo, Tintin in the Land of Soviets, Tintin in America etc because they were books that I felt were although yes, suitable for their "time" because of the 'okayness' of racism at that time, yet still I didn't like. Maybe because I'm not a white person myself, so I don't understand the 'history' behind the racism occurring, but trust me, my culture, Asian, was and is still pretty racist at times, and I don't support it either so both...more
Adhi Glory (glory2go)
Komik jadul dan diterbitkan jauh sebelum saya lahir, tapi ceritanya tetap sangat menarik kok. Walopun saya rasa gaya komedi slapstick-nya gak relevan lagi buat pembaca zaman sekarang. Kenapa? Karena menurut saya kekonyolannya (termasuk musuh-musuhnya juga) itu menyiratkan kebodohan yang terlau dibuat-dibuat.

Well, aniway, komik Tintin ini merupakan legenda dan banyak digemari oleh orang-orang di seluruh dunia. Termasuk juga mungkin orang tua atau om dan tante kamu.

Dalam kisah petualangan Tintin k...more
Maz
Sophocles Sarcophagus is a real character, right from the beginning of he story. We are also introduced to host of other key characters who are destined to make repeated appearances throughout the rest of the series - Oliveira da Figuera, Captain Alan and the irrespressible Thompson twins - whom Herge cleverly sets up as Tintin's foes, only to make them his friends and allies later on. Cigars of the Pharaoh also explores the the maddening effects of a powerful poison, a theme that is soon revisi...more
Helmut
Hier hat Hergé seinen Stil gefunden

Endlich, nach 3 unterdurchschnittlichen Alben, findet Hergé seine Stimme. Die Zeichnungen, die man hier findet, ändern sich bis zum Ende des Tintin-Zyklus praktisch nicht mehr (sie werden vielleicht einen Tick detaillierter), der Charakter der Hauptfigur ist hier fertig ausgearbeitet.

Vielleicht bin ich vorgeschädigt, weil ich die Geschichte als Fortsetzungscomic in einem alten Fix&Foxi-Heftchen zum ersten Mal als Kind gelesen habe - für mich gehört dieser Tim&Struppi-Band...more
Matthew Hunter
I'm amazed that Herge drew/wrote Cigars of the Pharaoh in the early 1930s and not the 1960s or later. The story's all about drug smuggling. Tintin gets threatened with arrest when someone plants heroin in his cabin aboard ship. And the analysis of the whys behind hungry farmers choosing to grow poppies instead of food could have come out of today's headlines:
"The poppy from which opium is made flourishes in this region. The drug traffickers terrorise my people. They force the peasants to grow po
htanzil
Diantara sekian banyak komik Tintin yang pernah saya baca, Cerutu Sang Pharaoh (Indira) atau Cerutu Sang Firaun (Gramedia, 2008) merupakan salah satu judul favorit saya. Saya pertama kali membacanya saat masih duduk di bangku SMP. Saya teratik dengan covernya yang menggambarkan Tintin dan Milo (Snowy) sedang mengendap-ngendap dalam sebuah makam lengkap dengan latar heliograf dan mumi yang berderet-deret. Saat itu, saya juga sangat tertarik dengan lambang / simbol sang Firaun yang terdapat di buk...more
Nadia Fadhillah
Logika ceritanya lumayan logis.
Tapi kalau ada saran sih, penyelesaian cerita Cigars of the Pharaoh ini bagusnya ya di Mesir juga. Karena cerita penyelundupan opiumnya berawal dari mesir. Tapi ternyata merembet hingga sampai kerajaan india.
Ya, aku tahu memang dulu sulit bagi Herge untuk survey, bahkan gak ada internet, untuk membayangkan kerajaan-kerajaan mesir itu gimana, atau deket nggak sama kerajaan-kerajaan india.

Yang ini aku baca bahasa indonesianya aja.
Ramón Pérez
Tintin se enfrenta a una red de contrabandistas de opio, y sobrevive a la terrible experiencia porque todo el mundo es retrasado profundo. En serio. No se puede ser más lerdo que un secundario de Tintín. No es que él sea una lumbrera pero comparado con el resto...

Hergé baja aquí el racismo y la ignorancia sobre los lugares, y mantiene alto el humor y un poco la fantasía. Por ejemplo, los faquires tienen poderes de verdad. Tintín se adentra en un misterio que resuelve sobre todo a base de berza p...more
Markku Kesti
Nelosalbumissa alkaa olla jo koossa tutut Tintin tavaramerkit: hallittu juoni ja hienosti etenevä tarinankerronta. Aiemmin en ole oikein kiinnittänyt huomiota noihin tarinan sisäisiin cliffhangereihin, mutta kun tietää, että tämäkin tarina on alunperin kirjoitettu jatkokertomuksena, niin onhan siellä aina sivun viimeisessä ruudussa jotain pikkujännää pitämällä yllä odotusta seuraavan numeron ilmestymiseen saakka. Mutta silleen hillitysti, ettei päätarina häiriinny. Oisiko jopa niin, että kun jok...more
Sammy
My review, as posted in Tintin Books

"Cigars of the Pharaoh" marks the dawn of a new era for Tintin, an era in which Hergé began dogged research, and sought to introduce plotting and pacing instead of simply regular cliffhangers. That is not to say things were completed: Herge was obviously obligated to give cliffhangers in the album's original serialised format, and some elements of the countries were less well-researched than his later works. But this album is certainly the next step in the gre...more
Bukko lover
Finally! A glimpse at the true genius of Herge. This book is fast-paced, funny and original. it kept me engaged throughout and now i'm pupmed to read the next one asap. I guess this is where the comics start getting better.
  • Asterix in Switzerland (Asterix, #16)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics...more
More about Hergé...
Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20) Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1) Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12) The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11) Tintin in America (Tintin, #3 )