Start by marking “The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)

The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius #3)

Wuruyaaria: city of werewolves, whose raiders range over the dying northlands, capturing human beings for slaves or meat. Wuruyaaria: where a lone immortal maker wages a secret war against the Strange Gods of the Coranians. Wuruyaaria: a democracy where some are more equal than others, and a faction of outcast werewolves is determined to change the balance of power in a ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2010)

Paul
Oct 13, 2011 Paul rated it it was ok
When I first saw the cover for The Wolf Age by James Enge I knew that I wanted it to be included in Werewolf Appreciation Month. Broody looking hooded figure with a magic sword fighting off hordes of evil looking werewolves. It looked like it would be an absolutely perfect fit. I couldn't help but love this book could I? I immediately rushed off to Amazon and purchased an imported copy, I'm not sure but I don't think the book has been officially released in the UK?

Unfortunately I'm sorry to admi
Mike
May 16, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
James Enge’s The Wolf Age is the third novel to feature the hero Morlock Ambrosius. I read the first, Blood of Ambrose, back in April of 2009 though I skipped the second outing This Crooked Way. I read Blood of Ambrose long before I had heard of Black Gate Magazine, the periodical which has been the home to Morlock on multiple occasions, and I suppose I have (consciously or otherwise) set out to make sure I follow authors read in the pages of Black Gate in longer forms whenever possible. The ...more
Joseph
Dec 08, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
The Morlock books just keep getting better. This time Morlock is imprisoned in a city of werewolves (whose name I'm not going to even attempt to spell), psychically crippled and driven to the brink of madness. Then things get worse. Werewolf politics (surprisingly complicated, those), any number of layers of deeply-hidden antagonists (who may or may not actually be antagonists), his own inner demons and possible world-ending catastrophe are only some of the issues Morlock faces this time around.
Mike Kabongo
Dec 07, 2012 Mike Kabongo rated it it was amazing
It is really fun to fall in love with a writers work all over again. This book has so much world depth. The language of the were-wolves (not like any you've read before), the history of their city, Morlock's life. Fabulous book. It embodies good fantasy, it has a lot of the old style sword and sorcery to it, but with so much more personality depth and the quirks of James Enge's personality woven through it.
Monkey
Oct 07, 2011 Monkey marked it as to-read
Shelves: stopped-reading
so bad...
I got it because of the reviews on Amazon and I should know better.
It's on my kindle and every other week or so I open it up in hopes that I've gotten to the good part.
If you think you can get through a book where the protagonist's name is "Morlock Ambrosius", then this may be the type of crap for you.
Lisa MH
Apr 25, 2011 Lisa MH rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love werewolf books. I'm not sure what it is about them, but of all the shifters I find wolves the neatest. This book is unique because, unlike almost all current lycanthrope books, it's not an urban fantasy. It's a true sword-and-(kinda)-sorcery fantasy. Almost the entire book takes place in a werewolf city. What a concept. I'd never read anything like it. I loved it!

It also happens to be the third in a series and I haven't read the first two (whoops – serves me right for buying a book simply
Abraham Thunderwolf
Sep 12, 2011 Abraham Thunderwolf rated it liked it
I picked up The Wolf Age because it seemed silly and I wanted to see how silly it actually was; the back cover mentions the werewolf city of Wuruyaaria, that is to say a city populated by werewolves. I started to read it and I couldn't put the damn thing down and if the library wasn't closing I probably would have stood there reading for hours. The story starts off with Morlock Ambrosius, a wizard maker, freeing some villagers captured by werewolf raiders by way of stabbing them with the cursed ...more
Andrew
Jan 11, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it
Third book about Merlin's cranky, alcoholic son, now abruptly kidnapped by werewolves. Unlike the previous book, this is unquestionably a novel. Morlock Ambrosius is not unquestionably the protagonist; I think he winds up being the weird foreign sidekick of his werewolf cellmate. Hint: they escape. Battles and electoral politics ensue. (Werewolves love elections. They're pack sapients! Who can fight to the death and heal it all back at moonrise! Now imagine what their election rallies are like.) ...more
Clay Kallam
Aug 30, 2016 Clay Kallam rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A lot of authors struggle with the concept of the anti-hero. Dark fantasy, of course, requires it, and since dark fantasy is pretty much all we’ve got these days, every writer with visions of royalty checks dancing in his head has to start with a semi-bad guy who readers will somehow come to love.

James Enge has the done one of the better jobs in that department with Morlock, a centuries-old wizard who wanders through a world filled with various evil beings, strange gods, plenty of magic and lots
Gene
Jun 16, 2016 Gene rated it liked it
This is the third book in a series, and there is no indication anywhere about it that mentions this fact. I found it on the shelf at the library, inspected the front, back and inside - no mention of a series. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, but it is the last straw. The publishers are doing their customers a great disservice by doing this. I'll not be reading the rest of hte series, nor will I recommend it to anyone.

Now. the book itself; In all honesty I enjoyed it. I probably
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Well. I never actually thought that a book with werewolves would be this boring. I dont know, maybe it was the fact that I havent read the other books? maybe its just my taste? maybe it was indeed boring. Anyway, the book has terrible descriptions. I mean seriously, even with the awesome cover I had a very difficult time picturing how the hell werewolves looked, making me reshape the image of every character in almost every scene, that was frustrating and annoying. To be fair though, the last ...more
Sean
Jan 30, 2013 Sean rated it liked it
The front page of the book,"The Wolf Age", is what drew me to this book. The book is written in an interesting style but the characters are what keep you reading(particularly the agenda of the Strange Gods)! The book is part of a trilogy, the third book in the series, so it was a little difficult for me to jump in full swing. Other than that the book is rather interesting to read and introduces an action pact plot of constant battles. The story surrounds a man named Morlock as he travels the ...more
Dave
Aug 12, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
It's strange how although plenty of horrible things happen to Morlock in this book, you're never really worried for him. He always has an answer for every problem, and if he doesn't, he'll either stumble across one, or his enemies will hand him one, or if all else fails he'll just summon Tyrfing and wreck something; nevermind the talic backlash, which never really fazes him no matter how big a deal Enge makes of it.

Morlock's just a teense too indestructible, and everyone around him is a teense
Matt Thomas
Dec 14, 2011 Matt Thomas rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical werewolf book. These werewolves have there own city and culture which fits them perfectly. Enge is a great writer, not just because of his imagination, because of his knowledge on mythology. Morlock is an amazing character with more depth than some people I know. As the son of Merlin(I think), Morlock is an excellent fighter and sorcerer. Enge's twist on fantasy makes for a great and unpredictable read. I also enjoy how the magic is more subtle and scientific than some ...more
Taylor
Apr 18, 2011 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Morbid, but entertaining.
Simple, but skillful.
Abstract, but familiar.
Honest, but somewhat restrained.

A complex work with many common fantasy elements, but with such a dark tone and odd twists that it becomes something entirely different than what the average reader is used to. Somewhat disturbing at times, but also rather humorous. At some points, the magic of this world almost comes across as science fiction. This book is imaginative and quite well done, though not perfect. Mr. Enge satisfies,
Tony Whitman
Nov 16, 2014 Tony Whitman rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
Of all of this author's books, The Wolf Age was my favorite. It is one of those rare books where the plot, the characters, and the setting all blend perfectly together. Each of these components feed into and emphasize the other and forms a whirlwind that makes the book truly enjoyable.

However, the main reason that it is one of my favorite books is the way that the author defines and portrays the deities in the book. I am an a amateur student of mythology, and the way that the gods are presented
Michele
Jan 29, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
The werewolf politics were fascinating. In the end, even the nemesis proved a complex character. The Strange Gods started off as somewhat contrived, but I felt that resolved itself in the end. Only vexed because, while I checked the book for indication that it was part of a series and found none, it turned out to be #3 in a series. The book does stand well on its own, but now I have to read Morlock Ambrose's story out of chronological order, which always vexes me.
Eileen Lane
Jul 16, 2015 Eileen Lane rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
James Enge does a great job bringing his fantasy world to life. I liked his dark twist on the story and how he wove all his characters together. I really liked his writing style and his voice. I do wish the writer would disclose rape scenes- I feel these are not necessary (a trope at best) and would not have picked up this book for this reason alone. My recommendation would be limited because of this scene. This was the main reason for the 3.5 stars.

Victor
Feb 02, 2011 Victor rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book, especially if you like Germanic mythology. The only problem I had with it is that when almost everyone is a werewolf, then the book seems to cease being about werewolves. Nevertheless, the characters are interesting and there is a lot of surprising magic in it.
John
Jan 28, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
In brief: Enge's best book yet. Fun and in some ways profound, a great read all-around. I talk about the book in my SFSignal column: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011... . An excellent novel!
Brian Pennington
Feb 06, 2014 Brian Pennington rated it liked it
Read it out of order. There are some plot twists that are interesting. Everyone but the main character dies though so don't get attached to anyone in specific.
Robert
Mar 15, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Would be 4 stars if it had been 100 pages shorter. Amusing sword & sorcery novel, well written with interesting world and characters. Just way too long than it needed to be.
Tasula
Apr 28, 2012 Tasula rated it really liked it
Strange gods, magic, werewolves- a well written, enjoyable adventure with plenty of villains, heroes, tragedies and fighting, and some twists along the way. I liked the three main characters a lot.
Hurion
Hurion rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Chris Hawks
Chris Hawks rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Ashwath Ganesan
Ashwath Ganesan rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Alex Johnson
Alex Johnson rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Cj
Cj rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Eric Harper
Eric Harper rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
ReD
ReD rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Wolfsangel (The Wolfsangel Cycle #1)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick Volume One: The King of the Elves
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Ares Express
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Blue and Gold
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • The Horns of Ruin
James Enge is the pseudonym of James M. Pfundstein, an American fantasy and sword and sorcery author. His best known work is the ongoing Morlock the Maker series. His first novel in the series, Blood of Ambrose, was nominated for the World Fantasy Award in 2010. His newest series, A Tournament of Shadows, tells the origin story of his famous character Morlock Ambrosius.

James M. Pfundstein has a Ph
More about James Enge...

Morlock Ambrosius (3 books)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • This Crooked Way (Morlock Ambrosius, #2)