Start by marking “Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)

Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,045 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In the heart of the Amazon, NRI operative Danielle Laidlaw makes an incredible discovery - a translucent Mayan stone generating massive waves of energy while counting down toward the infamous apocalyptic date of December 21st, 2012. And somewhere, there are three more just like it.
Published August 31st 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Black Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Sun

Belinda
Wat een avontuur. Heerlijk om zo meegesleept te worden in een spannende race tegen de klok.
Danielle Laidlaw, werkzaam bij een geheime agency is wederom in het Amazonegebied om verder te zoeken naar "de stenen". De stenen die vermeld staan in Maya hyrogliefen die het einde van de wereld voorspellen op 21 december 2012.. Natuurlijk worden zij en haar partner McCarter achterna gezeten door verschillende teams die hele andere ideeën hebben met de stenen. De president van Amerika begrijpt er niets va
Timothy Vogel
Jan 07, 2012 Timothy Vogel rated it really liked it
More Mayan prophecy action genre. Nicely done sequel to Black Rain. Well written, as it and its prequel can stand alone without each other.

A small mention of one item in the first book becomes the theme for this hidden-treasure hunt. Several characters return, and their motives & background are filled out a bit. That was a good touch.
Nicole R
Sep 30, 2012 Nicole R rated it liked it
I wanted more. More Mayans, more details, and definitely more sharks!

***Extremely Minor Spoilers***

Black Sun starts a few years after Black Rain ended: it is nearing December 21, 2012, the world is obsessed with the end of the Mayan calendar, and McCarter and Danielle can't stop thinking about the stone they found deep in the jungle that has mysterious properties. McCarter is convinced that there are three other stones just like the first, all hidden by the Mayans, and together they will either
Jeffrey Poston
Mar 15, 2015 Jeffrey Poston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Brown's first book, Black Rain, so I had to get his second, and I was not disappointed. I read a lot of thrillers and most are cut from the same mold: super-villains, kick-ass hero making it happen against unbelievable odds. But Black Sun was different and therefore more satisfying for me in a couple of ways. First, the HEROINE, Daniele Laidlaw, reminds me a lot of my all-time favorite fem-fatale - Sydney Bristow from the Alias TV show, crying one minute because her ...more
Dalila.
Nov 02, 2014 Dalila. rated it it was amazing
I have to say that Graham Brown really knows how to write an exciting ,action packed story.Black Sun keeps you going.I would highly recommend this book
Shannon
Nov 01, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
A good history and science based thriller, but nothing out of the ordinary. This book started off a bit slow for me and I liked the history of the first book more, but still worth reading.
Paul
May 24, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Patricia
Oct 26, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The 2012 Prophecy like you have NEVER imagined! A must read!

Ok, ok, I know the 2012 prophecy has been done TO DEATH, but never like this! Hidden ancient relics around the world, unbelievable results when they are unleashed on the world. A young Russian boy, the tragic victim of his governments scientific experiments and, as Danielle Laidlaw and Hawker learn, an innocent thrust into the middle of the end of the world...or is it?

Black Sun grabs you from the first pages with the story of young Yuri
Helen
Nov 04, 2010 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black Sun is a thriller with a short time clock relentlessly ticking. Laidlaw has to find the stones and decide whether to destroy them or bring them together. They’re spread all over the world in remote places, none of them easy to get at. Plus, her team is not the only one trying to find them and others will kill to get them. On her team are Professor Michael McCarter, a university scholar, and Hawker, a former CIA agent turned mercenary.

Black Sun kept me turning pages, so it was a fast read f
Cami
Nov 07, 2012 Cami rated it really liked it
This book follows the book Black Rain which I didn't realize until partway through the story. Regardless, it does a pretty good job of standing alone.

December 21, 2012 is only days away and the US government has become more and more certain that something devastating is going to happen on that date. A team of agents is searching for a mysterious set of Mayan stones that could potentially cause or solve the problem. Unfortunately they aren't the only ones looking for the stones.

This book did a f
Trish
Jun 17, 2011 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich war skeptisch, als ich diesen 2. Band begonnen hab, aber ich musss agen, dass mir die Umsetzung des Maya-Mythos um den 21.12. doch recht gut gefallen hat - eher auf wissenschaftlicher Basis als zu viel Fantasy. Eine Dinge klangen für mich nciht allzu logisch, aber ich schätze, um mit Bestimmtheit darüber urteilen zu können, müsste man Wissenschaftler sein, also bin ich der Geschichte wegen bereit, es einfach mal zu glauben.
Die Charaktere sind dieses Mal teilweise in völlig neue Bahnen gelenk
Barbara Hanna
A thriller that includes members of the NCIS, the CIA, president of the USA,Hawker, a renagade, the Chinese, the Russians, and the Mayans and their history/legends. Also included is a mute Russian boy who is sensitive to magnetic waves and stones which disrupt electricity, satellites,etc. and could cause the end of the world. It is a thriller as three groups race to see who can get to the stones 1st and avert a disaster OR use them for power. There are twists and turns every step of the way. I ...more
Lisa Goldberg
Mar 14, 2011 Lisa Goldberg rated it really liked it
Like the first book this had a very constant pace that kept me interested and entertained. I choose not to evaluate the feasibility of the science and archeology aspects of this book - I don't care how plausible it is or is not, I still enjoyed it.

You don't need the first book to read this one but it helps. Also, I can see the setup for a follow on book with these same characters although the subject matter will have to be different. Not sure how I feel about that but I will definitely look for
Brenda Burnett
Apr 18, 2014 Brenda Burnett rated it really liked it
2nd of Hawker and Laidlaw series: direct continuation of 1st book. Don't know if you would understand this book, if you hadn't read the first yet.
I actually thought this book was a bit better than the first. More character description/ building of the main characters, anyway. Thought the plot was quite interesting, too. Gives an "explanation" for the end of the Mayan calendar, Dec 2012, and how we solved it, so civilization, as we know it, didn't end then. Scientifically very interesting.
Dan Beaver
May 04, 2012 Dan Beaver rated it liked it
Enough twists and turns to keep you turning the page. Met Graham at the Tucson Festival of Books and might not have picked this up otherwise, which wld have been my loss. This was a fresh take on the 2012 prophesy, which limited it somewhat. I'm looking forward to seeing what these characters will get into next.
majstoricamagije
Razmišljam o tome je li ovo za tri zvjezdice.... Još jedno ljetno štivo koje će lako pasti u zaborav.
Čini mi se kako su ove moderne junakinje nekako pre... ne znam... razbacane, rastrgane, živčane, žele biti jake, a ne ide im.... Definitivno imam problem sa ženskim likovima.... Ili posežem za krivim žanrovima?
Plitki dijalozi, atmosfera u stilu Indiane Jonesa s manjkom humora.
Lea Locke
Sep 03, 2014 Lea Locke rated it really liked it
While I thought Black Rain was decent, I found its follow-up Black Sun to be much more interesting. Definitely more of a page turner than Black Rain. I loved the new take on the 2012 gig - very unique and just enough fact mixed with legend to make it believable! If you didn't love Black Rain, give this one a shot anyhow :)
Elena
Dec 08, 2014 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed his other 2 books that I was excited for this one to continue the story on the Maya... I quit on page 185 where just about nothing relevant has happened yet. Sounds like there is no storyline, or it is so thin that the book drags and drags.. back into my shelf in casa I'll change my mind and want to finish it some day...
Brian Turner
Mar 27, 2013 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked up at the supermarket for 2 based on the blurb on the back. Haven't read previous books in series by this author, but so far it reads like a cross between Clive Cussler and Matthew Reilly.
Nice easy page-turner for the commute
Finished today - 500 pages in 2 days...really kept me reading to see what was going to happen
Rachel
Jul 22, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Oh my god T.T
Another great novel from Graham Brown- I found it very hard to put down. Better than Black Rain, I think- his characters gained more emotional depth, which was awesome, but DANIELLE AND HAWKER JUST HOOK UP ALREADY PLEASE.
After I finished I rushed to the internet to find out whether there was another sequel, and thank goodness there is :P
Krbo
Mar 27, 2015 Krbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
aha, ovako se zvalo prije "Black Sun"

doslovno direktan nastavak prvog dijela - i dalje zavjere i čudesa po svijetu no ovdje meštar od pera upleće pomalo i SciFi.

zabavno kada imate spremne uvjete za ovakav tip Indiana Jones literature

Kevin C
Oct 05, 2013 Kevin C rated it really liked it
A very exciting follow up to 'Black Rain' with a cool 'end of the world' premise. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Definitely read 'Black Rain' first though otherwise there will be parts of the plot that might not make much sense.
Valerie
May 31, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite historical subjects. The Mayans second only to the Egyptians, Graham writes as he does so well mixing fiction and fact for a story that will have you thinking long past the end of this book, enjoy.
Jeanie
Jun 25, 2012 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
I was surprised how much I liked this read. Taken from the Mayhen prophecy of the doom of 12/21/2012, it gave it a twist that was thrilling and exciting. A cross of Indiana Jones and 007, the characters were interesting and likeable.
Chris
Jun 25, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Reads a lot like a science fiction B-movie. Science based on shifting of the poles and time travelling stones was pretty silly but just about enough justification was given so it worked. Some scenes, particularly those at sea, were genuinely exciting.
Bridget
Sep 08, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing

Graham Brown really knows how to provide suspense and thrills! I inhaled this book, with its satisfying plot and character expression, it's a readers dream.
Magiccats
Nov 29, 2012 Magiccats rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So far really exciting. Hate to have to put it down. Love the tie in to the end of the Mayan calendar. Great adventure.
Beth
Dec 21, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Fairly good, but I don't think it's as good as the first. It was nice seeing the gang all back together again, and I hope that Brown continues writing about these people.
Jason
Nov 08, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Pretty good book. I got a little confused by the back in time travel explanation, but overall likable characters.
Craig French
Apr 04, 2012 Craig French rated it really liked it
Loved it. I read these out of order ... Read the third one first, then the first one and then this one. Exciting series. I just hope the one I started with isn't the last for Howker.
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Secret Crown (Payne & Jones, #6)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Third Antichrist (Antichrist Trilogy #3)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope, #7)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
Graham Brown grew up in Illinois, Connecticut and Pennsylvania, moving often with his family. As far as he knows they weren't in the witness protection program or part of any top secret government agency - but then - would they really tell him?

A former pilot and lawyer and later part of a start up health care firm, Graham decided he hadn't had enough different careers yet and decided to become a
More about Graham Brown...

Hawker & Laidlaw (3 books)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)