Start by marking “Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering” as Want to Read:
Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

The practice of building software is a new kid on the block technology. Though it may not seem this way for those who have been in the field for most of their careers, in the overall scheme of professions, software builders are relative newbies. In the short history of the software field, a lot of facts have been identified, and a lot of fallacies promulgated. Those facts ...more
Published November 7th 2002 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

Igor Tsinman
Jun 14, 2012 Igor Tsinman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
"Факты и заблуждения профессионального программирования" Роберта Гласса это ещё одна книга о том как успешно делать проекты, особенно SW проекты.

В книге вы не найдете готовые рецепты, но найдете много правильных вопросов. В этом собственно, как мне показалось, и ценность этой книги. Сильная сторона книги ещё в том, что автор чётко аргументирует/подтверждает свои мысли, даёт ссылки на книги, статьи и т.д.

Для себя я определил, что основная мысль автора: "Проектирование программного продукта это э
Graham
Dec 18, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-books
There are two main lessons I gleaned from this book. The first is that the easiest way to produce successful software is to hirer the best software developers you can acquire. Based on several studies listed in the book, the best developers are up to 30 times more productive than the worst developers. This make procuring quality developers the most effective decision in managing a software project. The second important lesson is the benefit of code being looked at by multiple people. This is not ...more
Philipp
Apr 27, 2014 Philipp rated it really liked it
55 'facts' and 10 'fallacies' on the practice of software engineering: from managing, to planning, to programming etc. The structure is always the same, first the fact in one or two sentences, then one or two pages discussing the fact, then a page of the controversy (criticisms, or opponents of the 'fact'), then some sources. As such, the book is quick reading, you can read one or two 'facts' on the bus.

Of course, the author's opinions shine through - he really doesn't like vendor salespeople (t
Evan Wondrasek
Dec 31, 2013 Evan Wondrasek rated it liked it
What I liked: The author has decades of personal experience in software development, and the wisdom he's gathered over the years is absolutely apparent. This book was littered with valuable anecdotal gems that all software developers should hear.

What I didn't like: So much of this book was anecdotal. Don't get me wrong, I'm can appreciate anecdotes from a wise individual, but it's hard for me to accept "facts", especially with specific numbers attached to them, with nothing but anecdotal evidenc
David
Apr 29, 2016 David rated it really liked it
The facts and fallacies presented in this book are very interesting in the sense that we are aware of many of them and no one does anything about it.

I really liked how the author focus a lot on maintenance; something that programmers spent most of their time doing, but very few realize of its difficulties and time-span.

One thing that bugs me is related to the book references for some of the facts/fallacies. Most of them have really good resources (from NASA for example); however, many other re
Andreea Lucau
Mar 17, 2014 Andreea Lucau rated it liked it
Interesting, a little bit from a different "age" (just 12 years ago seems so far away).
Some of the facts surprised me, but most of them are just things you kind of feel. One of the most surprising ones for me was one related to cause of errors: most of the errors are due to omission and case that were just not cover in the code.
Marcin Malinowski
Mar 14, 2016 Marcin Malinowski rated it really liked it
This book can really get on your nerves. Author seems too self-confident, as resources he points mainly his own works, material may look outdated here and there, I don't think he gets XP...

But don't be fooled! There is a lot of good stuff in it. Especially about the maintenance (I fully agree with author that it's very neglected subject) e.g. "Fact 46: Maintenance is solution, not a problem". The more maintenance you have, the more successful is your product. WAT!? Stop and think about it. Most
Zeyad Etman
Apr 29, 2016 Zeyad Etman rated it liked it
i was confuesd about something, and this book make me more confused.
i think i should read it again or take the facts i agree with only.
in general i loved this book.
Ruslan
Apr 28, 2016 Ruslan marked it as to-read
Shelves: dev
Nathaniel
Jun 23, 2015 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
Really dated.
Jesper
Jan 17, 2012 Jesper rated it liked it
A lot of interesting stuff in this book. I was surprised to find that so much of what seems like current material has been around for so long.
I found this book referenced in Code Complete as a good intro book to software engineering, I would agree with that assessment. This book makes for a good complement to Clean Coder, in particular the "facts" regarding maintenance.
Greg
Jun 22, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is kind of motherhood and apple pie for software engineers and provides the engineer's perspective on why software projects fail. Nobody has really figured out how to make good software on time and on budget. This book just brings some reality to the picture that the hucksters with the latest fad - CASE! Agile!, ... - still don't have all the answers.
John
Nov 03, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Meh.

If you want a good read on evidence based software development, go to Making Software instead. I don't really rate the rigour in the choice of sources (quotes his own studies here and there), nor necessarily draw the same conclusions.
Angelo
Oct 12, 2013 Angelo rated it did not like it
I did not really enjoy reading this book. It felt very idiosyncratic on the side of the author: most references in the book are actually self-references, and for a book written in 2003, it feels really dated. I would not recommend this book.
Robert Chapman
Sep 14, 2012 Robert Chapman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
Although published in 2002, this is still one of the best books I have read about the software industry. ALmost 10 years later the facts in this book still ring true today. This is a must read for everyone from coder to executive.
Steve
May 17, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing
A good collection explaining best practices in the field of software development. If you've been in the field for a while, you'll have already figured a lot of this stuf out, but it's good to see it collected in one place.
Alex Allain
Dec 23, 2008 Alex Allain rated it it was amazing
This book is depressing; it's too easy to see your own mistakes in it. Of course, that's very valuable.

This is more philosophy than actionable information.
Mohammad Fouad
Dec 20, 2014 Mohammad Fouad rated it it was amazing
Timeless book. I guess I would not appreciate it until I gained practical experience in the field. A must read for any senior developer or team leader.
Joe
Mar 02, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, development
Jewel of a book and a great source for quotes to use with your management.
Mark
Oct 29, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Decent overview of various practical issues in programming.
Iliyan
Mar 23, 2013 Iliyan added it
yes, we do have a short memory, in this business ...
Purnima
Aug 17, 2010 Purnima rated it really liked it
Oh.. loved it!
Simon Vocella
Simon Vocella marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Sandro Mancuso
Sandro Mancuso marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Adriano Carvalho
Adriano Carvalho marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Baubek
Baubek rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Tbernaerd
Tbernaerd marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Andrei ILchenko
Andrei ILchenko rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Joshua Napoli
Joshua Napoli is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • The Psychology of Computer Programming
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Geekonomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software
  • Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Death March
  • The Old New Thing: Practical Development Throughout the Evolution of Windows
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Programming Pearls
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Code Reading: Open Source Perspective
  • Joel on Software
  • Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »