Start by marking “Accursed (Ghosts of Albion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Accursed  (Ghosts of Albion, #1)

Accursed (Ghosts of Albion #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Even death could not stop Britain’s greatest defenders.

In 1838, William and Tamara Swift inherit a startling legacy from their dying grandfather, transforming them into the Protectors of Albion, mystical defenders of the soul of England. But the shocked, neophyte sorcerers also inherit unique allies in their battle against the dark forces. Fighting alongside them are the f
Published October 25th 2005 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Accursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accursed

lynne naranek
This story could have been so much more.

Perhaps it was because there were so many instances of just "saying" instead of "showing" what was going on. Perhaps it was because despite it being the first real book, there's a lot of backstory that can be found online - if you have the patience to watch the poor graphics and irritating voices.

The premise is a relatively common one: brother and sister find themselves entrusted with the Protectorship of Albion (or England,,, or was it the United Kingdo
Harris
Retro review*

I recall feeling ambivalent towards this book when I read it some years ago. Finding it at the library after watching all of the fun little BBC flash animations online (remember those?), I thought that it might be interesting. On the one hand, I felt that the main characters introduced in the web series, such as siblings Tamora and Will and even the ghosts, were very well portrayed in the novel, with their personalities and motivations very distinct and believable, and more or less
Catherine
You know those books that are pretty flawed but there's something about them that keeps you turning the pages? This is one of those. Has moments, though and I like things about the storyline (England's colonization of India comes home to roost in the form of weird demons and evil magic). I'd give it a 2.5 stars if it were an option.
Don
Oct 19, 2014 Don rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I don't normally analyze books, preferring to just experience the story, but I couldn't help myself with this one. I slogged through the prologue where the characters all had names like "the young woman" and "the old man" and their blase acceptance of bizarre events completely outside the book's milieu exceeded my suspension of disbelief. The book proper then served up belabored descriptions and blunt shallow characterizations until I realized that I wasn't reading but counting how often the wor ...more
Alice
I like the characters and the story is really gripping most of the time. But some sections seemed poorly constructed -- a lot of repetitive description. Although that was helpful at the beginning when recounting things that happened during the BBCi web series.
Bill
This book was loaned to me by a dear friend, and I'll admit I was skeptical of it at first. It was co-written by an actress who portrayed the character Tara in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (You Buffy fans out there probably know what this means; I haven't a clue if that's good or bad), which, I suspect, is how my friend found out about it in the first place.

It was quite entertaining. The premise is that there are wizard-ish types out there who are the protectors of the land in which they live, and h
Nicholas Whyte
http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2006/03/ghosts_of_albio.shtml[return][return]This is the first novel, though not the first joint production, from the team of Amber Benson, who played Tara in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Christopher Golden, author of (I am told) several of the better Buffy novels and much else besides. In this, the first of a promised series of novels picking up the characters and settings from the BBC webcast stories by the same authors, siblings William and Tamara (not, ...more
Kristen
This sounded like my kind of thing - ghosts of famous people, protectors with magical powers, world at risk, demons, drama, excitement - but it didn't work for me.

There were good things about this story. The characters were interesting, and the story was well-written. The pacing was also very well-designed to keep the reader reading. The problem for me was that the underlying tone was extremely dark, with violence that was - for me - just too much. There was also sex that was ugly and disconcert
fleegan
This was a good novel but I didn't really enjoy it. The characters are pretty good, except William, I didn't like his character, too milktoast. It's a continuing story of a brother and sister who become the Protectors of Albion (England) when their grandfather dies. They're kinda thrown into the whole thing and have to learn magic and talk to ghosts and save the world.

I liked the whole part about how the ghosts of famous people helped the duo. But I don't really enjoy the Victorian Age very muc
Debye
Interesting premise, but not as good as it could be. Though it is a novelization of a web series....
Baal Of
Some people can make a transition from one career to another. From my reaction to this book, I would have thought this particular transition was doomed, however I see from the ratings on her other books that I was wrong. I am baffled. I thought this book was wretched. This bundle of shit contains overwrought prose, cardboard characters, a weak and unengaging plot, and absurd attempts at writing oh-so-witty dialog, as if the author were striving to be Jane Austen, but ending up being even crappie ...more
Robin
I like a lot of the worldbuilding and the characters here. I just wish they'd had better writing to show them off. The narrative is just bursting with cliches. There's far, far too much exposition, even for a sequel. And I wasn't terribly convinced by the ghosts. Lord Byron wasn't really very Byronesque, though there were hints that he might have been, if the authors had only dared. Admiral Lord Nelson is far too casual about letting people use his given name. And Queen Bodicea? A stereotype bar ...more
Mace
May 29, 2012 Mace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I felt like not enough actually happened in the book, and feel sorry for the ladies stuck in the basement shelter who never really get any resolution. I felt like this is a book that's laying the groundwork for a series, but there just wasn't enough meat in it to get really into it.
In summary, this book was just okay.
Rosemary
I love the ideas behind this series, that the ghosts of Britain remain its guardians. Nice to know Lord Byron has a life after death! The action is bit horrific for me -- if frogs eating people doesn't bother you, and you like bloody Victorian melodrama, this is good summer read.
Ade Couper
God, this was dull.....

The premise- the great figures of Britain come back as ghosts when the land is in need- is a good one, but frankly this is a very badly-told story.I really didn't care about what plot there was, & the characters were made of tissue paper....

Best avoided.
pianogal
This was an interesting story from the girl formerly known as Tara. Apparently, Amber Benson and Christopher Golden started this series as a radio show on the BBC and then it grew into a book. I think there is at least one more in the series, but I haven't had a chance to read it.
Ingo
Great book, rich english language, very detailed descriptions of places, plants, weather etc. in 19th century London. Highly recommended.
The persons, ghosts and other supernatural beings each have their own past and nature and are very believably written.
Carmina Cobos
This is a must read Amber Benson and Christopher Golden if you've haven't read the ghost of albion series and love supernatural stories then I would suggest reading this one.
Karen Stacy
This book is good as a stand alone, or as in a part of the series. The writing is refreshing and the characters fun. This is as much fun as the 18th century can be, I believe.
Michael Reid
Not my regular genre, I was quietly impressed not wonderful but it entertained me. A strange mix of American and English styles, or is it American trying to be English?
H.A.
Fun horror story (fun in a gross, Lovecraftian sort of way.) Would like to read more in this series, so I'm going to check out the BBC website that started it all.
N.L. Riviezzo
I really wanted to like this book but the first 100 pages were painful. I skipped forward to the last 150 pages and still, I couldn't get into it.
Liz Dziuk
I had a hard time getting into it at first, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Great read and will definately be reading it again sometime.
Lisa
Began reading this last night...not sure if I'm going to finish it though.

Yup, not going to finish it. Never got further than 25 pages in.
Aiyana
Vivid storytelling- very cinematic. I think this would work better as a movie script than a novel. I heard there was a TV show or something...
Joseph Teller
An interesting Victorian Mysticism setting by a pair of interesting authors. Good enough it inspired a Roleplaying game.
Stephanie
While the premise of this book was intriguing, I found it to be dull and all over the place with its characters and story line.
Charisa Flaherty
Enjoyed this and would like to read more of the Ghosts of Albion -- and watch the BBC.com "movie"
Kaelee Newton
I wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into the characters or the plot.
Kate
The premise sounds great but the reviews are less-than-stellar....hmm..
  • The Myth Hunters (The Veil, #1)
  • Last Hope, Book One: Onslaught
  • Softspoken
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • A House Divided
  • The Merciful Women
  • Endangered Species (Angel: Season 3, #5)
  • The Adventures of Arthur Conan Doyle: A Biography
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Dust Waltz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic#8  Buffy Season 2)
  • Hoodoo
  • Haunted (Angel: Season 2, #4)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • Wild Boy
More about Amber Benson...

Ghosts of Albion (5 books)
  • Witchery (Ghosts of Albion, #2)
  • Ghosts of Albion: Astray
  • Ghosts of Albion: Illusions
  • Initiation
Death's Daughter (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #1) Cat's Claw (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #2) Serpent's Storm (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #3) How to be Death (Calliope Reaper-Jones, #4) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6)

“There is so much more to this world then outward appearances. Our society basks in the illusion of normalcy every day, and hides from the truth every night.” 20 likes