Start by marking “Brokenness: The Heart God Revives” as Want to Read:
Brokenness: The Heart God Revives

Brokenness: The Heart God Revives

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Every great movement of God is preceded by a season of humility and repentance.It isa time of tearing down walls, of getting honest with God and others about your true spiritual condition.It may be hard. It may hurt. But in the end, God will use your brokenness to restore your 'first love' for Jesus, rekindle your spiritual fire, reconcile your relationships, and repair yo ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Moody Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Brokenness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokenness

Austin Rich
Nov 15, 2012 Austin Rich rated it it was amazing
In the words of Harrison Shockley, this book will "rip your heart out, chop it into pieces, grind those pieces into powder, and then feed it to you." While that's a rather disgusting illustration, what Harrison was basically saying is that this book points out the areas of unsubmitted pride in our lives and crushes it. It realigns our heart with the LORD's by reminding us that we are ridden with pride.

Now you may be thinking, "I don't really struggle with pride that much." If you had that though
Sherrie
Feb 03, 2011 Sherrie is currently reading it
some books are just plain hard to read....they are the best kind!!
Tom
Jun 02, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians or people who think they are christian
I really loved this book and I think it is much needed in the church. We live in a self-help culture that is constantly selling ideas on how to be happy or how to be made whole often leading people to look within themselves for answers. For the Christian, true joy and the peace of Christ come from being broken before God, that is being broken of your pride, arrogance, self-will and stubbornness. This book gives many examples of biblical figures who made mistakes doing things their way before sub ...more
Reid
Oct 14, 2010 Reid rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people wanting to draw closer to the Lord
DeMoss begins her book recording an event that occurred in 1995 at a Campus Crusade for Christ staff meeting of four thousand people.

A wave of revival in the form of confession and repentance swept through the group for a number of days and lives were changed.

This book on brokenness and humility has changed the way I think about myself, my sin, and God's provision of Jesus' sacrifice.
She gives quite a list of the way that "Proud People" look at others, God, sin and so on. At least in my culture
Elizabeth Johnson
Good meditation on what brokenness truly is, in God's eyes, and why we should strive to be broken before Him. Also includes a very helpful chart comparing brokenness and pride... convicting and in-depth!

Read as part of the Brokenness/Surrender/Holiness trilogy.
Beth Peninger
Jan 12, 2012 Beth Peninger rated it it was amazing
DeMoss does a masterful job of unpacking the way to go up is be broken down. Want to succeed in any relationship? Be broken. Want to succeed in your work life? Be broken. Humility, hard to live out, is the most effective character trait one can have to succeed in this life. But brokenness is so hard, DeMoss isn't naive to that fact.
In her honest look at brokenness DeMoss shares personal stories of the healing and freedom that comes when a person can walk in life with humility and without entitl
Jessica
Jul 31, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book made me rethink what I believed about brokenness and how it comes about in my life. After experiencing a time of great brokenness and growth about a decade ago, I almost longed for it again during a spiritually dry season years later. I was scared of the pain, but it seemed worth it in order to experience that kind of growth and closeness with God again. This book has broadened my view of brokenness and helped me to see that I can choose a posture of brokenness in my daily life and rec ...more
Oct 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Amazing way to look at Brokenness in your Christian walk. It's a lifestyle. A continual process that should happen 24/7. There were several things that stuck out in my mind as i was reading this short book. But the main thing was a quote form Martin Luther, " God creates out of nothing. Therefore until a man is nothing, God can make nothing out of him." This in a nut shell is the essence of the whole book! You have to become nothing for God to use you completely to His utter satisfaction. Our vi ...more
April Emery
Jul 13, 2012 April Emery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Very practical read, includes a side-by-side comparison of a proud heart and a humble heart. Good to read periodically because pride is one of those things we will never completely master this side of Heaven.

click here to buy on Amazon
click here to buy for Kindle
Stacey
Jun 03, 2014 Stacey added it
Shelves: faith, 2014
This was both convicting and encouraging-- I am left with a lot to think about in relation to my own need for brokenness in the sight of the Lord.
Thomas Kinsfather
A friend recommended this. DeMoss offers an emotional plea for brokenness build around her revival theology. Like much most revivalist writings, the American revivals are wrapped in so much nestalgia and the experiences of that period are lifted up to a biblical norm. Its as if the vast majority of Christians today need more than simply Jesus and their local church. They also need revival, which is usually defined in vague terms.
Jeff
May 23, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Now one of my top 5 books I have read this year, I plan on reading this at least once a year. I have a few chosen books that I pick out to "refresh" upon, and this small but powerful book will for sure help in your walk and keeping you grounded with Christ. Learn about what true "Brokenness" is and how to have a personal Revival in your life through saying No to "self" and Yes to Jesus! I Highly recommend this book!
Lucia
Feb 15, 2014 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-life
Another great book by DeMoss!! I've read some other titles of her and learnt many things about womanhood. I hope I'd read this book earlier. Strongly rooted in biblical foundation and straightforward were probably what made me continue to read this book. It has forced me to deal with every pitfall in my life that I can find and move towards another step closer to God.
Aaron Downs
Feb 21, 2013 Aaron Downs rated it liked it
DeMoss does a good job of communicating how brokenness is manifested in a believer's life. I enjoyed the read, although at times I believe she could have dug a little deeper. Much of her content seemed to be a watered down version of "The Calvary Road" by Roy Hession. I recommend this book, but Hession's book on the same topic would prove more useful.
Faith
Sep 04, 2014 Faith rated it it was amazing
this is a good book. really targets the heart and compares the proud christian (pharisee) vs the broken christian. one of those books that really makes us realize no matter how "better" we might think we compare to others, how yucky we truly are deep inside and it makes us face those icky areas of our hearts. i cried in this book.
Miss Jen
Sep 02, 2009 Miss Jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Miss Jen by: My Friend~ Mrs. Julie Ann Lemen
Very powerful, indeed!!!! :)
As Nancy Leigh DeMoss poignantly conveys...
Brokenness is the entrance to life, freedom
happiness and true joy!

"The sacrifices of God are a broken
spirit: a broken and a contrite heart,
O God, thou wilt not despise."
-Psalm 51:17

A short stimulating, powerful and
life changing read!!
Rachel
Sep 29, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Excellent devotional on Brokenness.
I love how Nancy Leigh DeMoss brings new insight to Biblical stories that I have heard countless times, and gives personal testimony from others who have been brought to a point of brokenness in their own lives, and how this has transformed them.
Highly recommend.
Els Bogema
Jun 11, 2013 Els Bogema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about brokeness, simple and practical to go deeper and deal with pride. Sometimes to easy to read through it but it will let you think about your pride, so often we don't notice how proud we are on ourselves... A good and practical book, surely one to recommend!
Keila
May 08, 2012 Keila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book will totally transform what you thought it meant to be broken. As I once heard a preacher say, "If that don't light your fire, your wood is wet!" Buy it! Read it! You won't regret it!
Bill Wyler
Nov 24, 2013 Bill Wyler rated it really liked it
Great book on the topic of brokenness in spirit before God. Am I a proud or broken person? Too many of us are prideful and God cannot work through us as He wants to do. I'm on my 4th read now.
Jon
Apr 03, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing
Where to start...? man i dont even know. Read this book its powerful. Its really short but contains a whole lot of depth.

i expect to come back to this one again a few more times.
John Richardson
Jun 25, 2012 John Richardson rated it it was amazing
Nancy Leigh DeMoss is authentic. She has also spoken on this subject of brokenness several times. If you can find a video of one of those messages, get it today.
Jackie Johnson
Feb 02, 2013 Jackie Johnson rated it it was amazing
What a great book, the read provides a reminder of why staying humble and meek to God and honest with yourself and the people around you. It all starts with me.
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Nancy does an excellent job of describing just what brokenness is and how Beautiful it can be. This book impacted me greatly and I highly recommend it.
Christina
Nov 03, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it
a humbling book with a beauty that you can't help but want to implement in your own life. Filled with honest testimony that compel you to analyze your self
Tracy
Sep 21, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
"Pride is the greatest of all evils that beset us, and of all our enemies it is that which dies the slowest and hardest." -J.N. Darby
Lura Hunter
Jul 27, 2009 Lura Hunter rated it it was amazing
"True worship begins with brokenness and humility over whatever God reveals to us in His Word."
Brokenness is a starting point.
Benjamin
Oct 30, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books on "True Brokenness" which I re-read a few times and shared many devotions from it. :)
Glen
Jun 12, 2013 Glen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This spoke deeply to me at a time of need. The words are challenging and reassuring to those seeking a deeper walk with Christ.
Jaclynn
Jan 21, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
Excellent, timely read for me; learn about the beauty of brokenness and what true brokenness really is.
  • A Woman's Walk with God: Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • Spirit Hunger: Filling Our Deep Longing to Connect with God
  • Plastic Donuts: Giving That Delights the Heart of the Father
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian
  • 31 Days of Praise: Enjoying God Anew
  • A Path Through Suffering: Discovering the Relationship Between God's Mercy and Our Pain
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross... Every Day
  • The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance
  • Becoming a Titus 2 Woman
  • Love Not the World
  • Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image
  • Living Water: Powerful Teachings from the International Bestselling Author of The Heavenly Man
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • Disciplines of a Godly Woman
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth also known as Nancy Leigh DeMoss is the host and teacher for Revive Our Hearts and Seeking Him, two nationally-syndicated programs heard each weekday on over 1,000 radio stations. She is a mentor and spiritual mother to thousands of women and a leader of the True Woman movement.
More about Nancy Leigh DeMoss...