Brokenness: The Heart God Revives

Brokenness: The Heart God Revives

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Every great movement of God is preceded by a season of humility and repentance.It isa time of tearing down walls, of getting honest with God and others about your true spiritual condition.It may be hard. It may hurt. But in the end, God will use your brokenness to restore your 'first love' for Jesus, rekindle your spiritual fire, reconcile your relationships, and repair yo...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Moody Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Brokenness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokenness

Austin Rich
In the words of Harrison Shockley, this book will "rip your heart out, chop it into pieces, grind those pieces into powder, and then feed it to you." While that's a rather disgusting illustration, what Harrison was basically saying is that this book points out the areas of unsubmitted pride in our lives and crushes it. It realigns our heart with the LORD's by reminding us that we are ridden with pride.

Now you may be thinking, "I don't really struggle with pride that much." If you had that though...more
Sherrie
Feb 03, 2011 Sherrie is currently reading it
some books are just plain hard to read....they are the best kind!!
Reid
Oct 14, 2010 Reid rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people wanting to draw closer to the Lord
DeMoss begins her book recording an event that occurred in 1995 at a Campus Crusade for Christ staff meeting of four thousand people.

A wave of revival in the form of confession and repentance swept through the group for a number of days and lives were changed.

This book on brokenness and humility has changed the way I think about myself, my sin, and God's provision of Jesus' sacrifice.
She gives quite a list of the way that "Proud People" look at others, God, sin and so on. At least in my culture...more
Elizabeth Johnson
Good meditation on what brokenness truly is, in God's eyes, and why we should strive to be broken before Him. Also includes a very helpful chart comparing brokenness and pride... convicting and in-depth!

Read as part of the Brokenness/Surrender/Holiness trilogy.
Beth Peninger
DeMoss does a masterful job of unpacking the way to go up is be broken down. Want to succeed in any relationship? Be broken. Want to succeed in your work life? Be broken. Humility, hard to live out, is the most effective character trait one can have to succeed in this life. But brokenness is so hard, DeMoss isn't naive to that fact.
In her honest look at brokenness DeMoss shares personal stories of the healing and freedom that comes when a person can walk in life with humility and without entitl...more
Jessica
This book made me rethink what I believed about brokenness and how it comes about in my life. After experiencing a time of great brokenness and growth about a decade ago, I almost longed for it again during a spiritually dry season years later. I was scared of the pain, but it seemed worth it in order to experience that kind of growth and closeness with God again. This book has broadened my view of brokenness and helped me to see that I can choose a posture of brokenness in my daily life and rec...more
Amazing way to look at Brokenness in your Christian walk. It's a lifestyle. A continual process that should happen 24/7. There were several things that stuck out in my mind as i was reading this short book. But the main thing was a quote form Martin Luther, " God creates out of nothing. Therefore until a man is nothing, God can make nothing out of him." This in a nut shell is the essence of the whole book! You have to become nothing for God to use you completely to His utter satisfaction. Our vi...more
April Emery
Very practical read, includes a side-by-side comparison of a proud heart and a humble heart. Good to read periodically because pride is one of those things we will never completely master this side of Heaven.

click here to buy on Amazon
click here to buy for Kindle
Stacey
Jun 03, 2014 Stacey added it
Shelves: 2014, faith
This was both convicting and encouraging-- I am left with a lot to think about in relation to my own need for brokenness in the sight of the Lord.
Thomas Kinsfather
A friend recommended this. DeMoss offers an emotional plea for brokenness build around her revival theology. Like much most revivalist writings, the American revivals are wrapped in so much nestalgia and the experiences of that period are lifted up to a biblical norm. Its as if the vast majority of Christians today need more than simply Jesus and their local church. They also need revival, which is usually defined in vague terms.
Jeff
May 23, 2011 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Now one of my top 5 books I have read this year, I plan on reading this at least once a year. I have a few chosen books that I pick out to "refresh" upon, and this small but powerful book will for sure help in your walk and keeping you grounded with Christ. Learn about what true "Brokenness" is and how to have a personal Revival in your life through saying No to "self" and Yes to Jesus! I Highly recommend this book!
Lucia
Another great book by DeMoss!! I've read some other titles of her and learnt many things about womanhood. I hope I'd read this book earlier. Strongly rooted in biblical foundation and straightforward were probably what made me continue to read this book. It has forced me to deal with every pitfall in my life that I can find and move towards another step closer to God.
Aaron Downs
DeMoss does a good job of communicating how brokenness is manifested in a believer's life. I enjoyed the read, although at times I believe she could have dug a little deeper. Much of her content seemed to be a watered down version of "The Calvary Road" by Roy Hession. I recommend this book, but Hession's book on the same topic would prove more useful.
Faith
this is a good book. really targets the heart and compares the proud christian (pharisee) vs the broken christian. one of those books that really makes us realize no matter how "better" we might think we compare to others, how yucky we truly are deep inside and it makes us face those icky areas of our hearts. i cried in this book.
Miss Jen
Sep 02, 2009 Miss Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Miss Jen by: My Friend~ Mrs. Julie Ann Lemen
Very powerful, indeed!!!! :)
As Nancy Leigh DeMoss poignantly conveys...
Brokenness is the entrance to life, freedom
happiness and true joy!

"The sacrifices of God are a broken
spirit: a broken and a contrite heart,
O God, thou wilt not despise."
-Psalm 51:17

A short stimulating, powerful and
life changing read!!
Rachel
Excellent devotional on Brokenness.
I love how Nancy Leigh DeMoss brings new insight to Biblical stories that I have heard countless times, and gives personal testimony from others who have been brought to a point of brokenness in their own lives, and how this has transformed them.
Highly recommend.
Els Bogema
A good book about brokeness, simple and practical to go deeper and deal with pride. Sometimes to easy to read through it but it will let you think about your pride, so often we don't notice how proud we are on ourselves... A good and practical book, surely one to recommend!
Keila
This little book will totally transform what you thought it meant to be broken. As I once heard a preacher say, "If that don't light your fire, your wood is wet!" Buy it! Read it! You won't regret it!
Bill Wyler
Great book on the topic of brokenness in spirit before God. Am I a proud or broken person? Too many of us are prideful and God cannot work through us as He wants to do. I'm on my 4th read now.
Jon
Where to start...? man i dont even know. Read this book its powerful. Its really short but contains a whole lot of depth.

i expect to come back to this one again a few more times.
John Richardson
Nancy Leigh DeMoss is authentic. She has also spoken on this subject of brokenness several times. If you can find a video of one of those messages, get it today.
Jackie Johnson
What a great book, the read provides a reminder of why staying humble and meek to God and honest with yourself and the people around you. It all starts with me.
Samantha
Nancy does an excellent job of describing just what brokenness is and how Beautiful it can be. This book impacted me greatly and I highly recommend it.
Christina
a humbling book with a beauty that you can't help but want to implement in your own life. Filled with honest testimony that compel you to analyze your self
Tracy
"Pride is the greatest of all evils that beset us, and of all our enemies it is that which dies the slowest and hardest." -J.N. Darby
Lura Hunter
"True worship begins with brokenness and humility over whatever God reveals to us in His Word."
Brokenness is a starting point.
Benjamin
One of my all time favorite books on "True Brokenness" which I re-read a few times and shared many devotions from it. :)
Glen Smith
This spoke deeply to me at a time of need. The words are challenging and reassuring to those seeking a deeper walk with Christ.
Jaclynn
Excellent, timely read for me; learn about the beauty of brokenness and what true brokenness really is.
Greg Davenport
Nov 14, 2011 Greg Davenport is currently reading it
Great book on the topic God spoke to us about at Vineyard yesterday! I highly recommend it!
NANCY LEIGH DEMOSS is the author of twelve books, including the bestselling Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free and Choosing Forgiveness. She is the host and teacher for Revive Our Hearts and Seeking Him, two nationally-syndicated programs heard each weekday on over 1,000 radio stations. She is a mentor and spiritual mother to thousands of women and a leader of the True Woman move...more
More about Nancy Leigh DeMoss...
Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets them Free Lies Young Women Believe Companion Guide: And the Truth that Sets Them Free Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy With God Through a Daily Devotional Life