Cut Throat Dog

Cut Throat Dog

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  10 reviews
International intrigue, murderous politics, and psychological suspense combine in a stylish literary thriller

An enigmatic Israeli who calls himself Shakespeare – because he’s got a way with words – finds himself jolted on a sidewalk in Manhattan: Is that who I think it is, he wonders, or am I crazy?

Who he thinks it is, is one of the world’s premier terrorists. Someone...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Melville International Crime (first published January 1st 2010)

Alexander Lesher
This book is okay and sometimes really good. There are lots of disorienting elements, but one of the major problems that makes it even harder to follow are the occasional spelling errors. I reread things like three or four tomes to make sure that I was not just misreading things and that it was an error. One occurrence I recall was "he" where it should have been "the." This can be really distracting in a book where the world is perpetually turned upside down.
Having just read THE SPY WHO CAME IN...more
Oyster
A Mossad-agent-turned-advertising-agency-director who calls himself “Shakespeare” may be losing his mind. Did he really just see the guy who killed his partner and best friend all those years ago? Isn’t he supposed to be dead? So begins Cut Throat Dog, a wild, psychological literary thriller from Joshua Sobol, the Israeli author, playwright and director.
Merril Speck
A literary thriller that forgot to thrill. Stylisticly, it was a facinating look at an Israeli spy who's been constructing false identities for so long he's losing track of which is actually his own. He's also a man so haunted by his past that he's adrift in time, literally falling into flashbacks that are more immediate to him than his current assignment. Unfortunately, the author fails to bring any sense of tension or stakes to the preceedings. Monologues, stories, and philisophical musings go...more
Marc
More literary depth than I had expected. As I don't normally read much in the spy/thriller genre I made an exception for this Israeli author and was pleasantly surprised.
There are definitely flaws: the dialogue is extremely uneven, the actual plot veers towards the cartoonish, the pacing is a bit of a pain, and the denouement is a mixed bag. But the protagonist's emotional depth is turbulent enough to carry the novel, and there are sections where the author does an amazing job of presenting comp...more
Milo King
May 15, 2012 Milo King rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: mysteries, jewish, israel
I found this book to be almost unreadable - in fact, I gave more time to it than I thought it deserved, because I really wanted it would gel into something coherent... but I finally gave up after 90 pages. It's not that I have an objection to experimental fiction, meta-fiction, or stream-of-consciousness if there seems to be a central story or discernible purpose for the work...but I lost patience with this one: reality, dreams, time-frame, character reference, plot arcs - were constantly shifti...more
Josie
This book is all over the place. Like when Netflix calls a movie "Edgy/Romantic/Steamy" this book is like all the attributes, every single one.

Romantic

Gritty

Strong Women

Understated

Cerebral

Crime

(maybe not understated)

(PS that was just a random set that I copied!)
caitlin
This could be just an unfortunate timing of reading this book but ugh...really? I literally have no idea what happened and don't care.

Epitaph should read: TRIED SO HARD.

Melville Press....you're starting to let me down.
Brian
Schizophrenic tale of international terror and terrorists with inexplicable character and plot development. Possibly a literary experiment gone wrong but with an occasional or accidental insight. Feh!
gary pollack
This novel was ok. It was creative in its navigation of different types of PTSD and how two souls can bond through fantasy and illusion. Hard to get through at times, though.
Dav Hair
Started strange. Got stranger. Gave up @ 32nd page. It seems like many stories in one. The problem is none makes sense.
Matthew Hartnett
Matthew Hartnett marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Brian Hoff
Brian Hoff marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Kennlv
Kennlv marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Orange
Orange added it
Aug 27, 2013
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Eddie
Eddie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Ann Repetto
Ann Repetto marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Shaina
Shaina marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Sherri Vigil
Sherri Vigil marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Lucasenrique
Lucasenrique marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
kt Sedat
kt Sedat marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2012
Schweigen. Ghetto Cut Throat Dog (Melville International Crime) The night of the twentieth (Modern Hebrew drama) Art from the Ashes: A Holocaust Anthology