Start by marking “Nightmare Hour” as Want to Read:
Nightmare Hour

Nightmare Hour

"These are my scariest stories ever," says R.L. Stine, "because I wrote them at the Nightmare Hour." You know when that is...it's when the lights fade, the real world spins into shadow--and the cold, moonlit world of evil dreams takes over your mind.

What horror awaits a boy who has to spend Halloween in the hospital? How do you outwit a ghost who wants your skin? Why is

Published (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare Hour

Richard Denney
Oct 04, 2015 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at my library book sale for 25 cents. I love R.L. Stine's middle-grade stuff and I enjoyed this ten story collection. Some were super cheesy and not to my liking but others were actually pretty damn creepy. Happy to add this to my bookshelf. It's also perfect for October. :)
Abbie
Jan 26, 2016 Abbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more morbid and creepy than the Goosebumps series... I freaking love it!
Jeff_§of2014
This book is a collection of 10 stories by R.L. Stine, they are Halloween stories which were written to spook kids or just reading it for fun. The story that stood out to me was a story called I'm not Martin, the story takes place in a hospital when a young boy needs to have his tonsils removed. When he gets to his room there is another boy always screaming "I'm not Martin!" The nurses say that he is Martin and he is just scared for his surgery because he needed his leg removed. The day it was ...more
Bea
There were some genuinely scary stories. Some, I could see where the story was going but some I couldn't.
Eman
May 19, 2010 Eman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is creepy but not scary.
Sandra (Page by Page)
For complete review, check my bookblog, pagebypage-sc.blogspot.com.

Nightmare Hour is an anthology of ten short stories by R. L. Stine who is famous for his Goosebumps series. The story-telling style and creepy level in this book is pretty much the same with other Goosebumps books. What you’ll find different is the little insight from Stine where he tells readers about where he gets the idea of each short story. It surprised me how bizarre Stine’s way of thinking must be. I mean, you don’t think
Catie
Aug 15, 2012 Catie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infancia
¿Quién no esperaba esto después de que me gustara tanto Socorro y fuera una niñita rara que miraba So Weird, Escalofríos y Le Temes a La Oscuridad en la tele? Como una ávida lectora de literatura fantástica, tengo un especial rincón en mi corazón para las historias de miedo. No soy extremadamente valiente ni nada, así que la pizca de terror que me dan y lo terriblemente curiosa que soy contribuyen a que no me pueda resistir cuando me ofrecen este tipo de historias.

Recuerdo que encontré este libr
Anastasia
I have always been an avid fan of R.L. Stine since his Fear Street collection came out when I was about 8 years old. My brother and I read this collection when we were young and the stories resurface every time we see clowns, hospitals, or pumpkin patches. This Nightmare Hour is a GREAT collection of short stories that are perfect for any young horror fans.

Pumpkin Head What could possibly lie in the creepy pumpkin farmer's private pumpkin patch?

Alien Candy What happens to an avid alien fan?
Francesco
Aug 08, 2014 Francesco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-10
Morgan Hawk
For a creepy story to read around the campfire, look no further than Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror by R.L Stine. He has combined some of his ten scariest short stories into Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror, and this collection of short stories is the perfect length for a short read before bed, but you’ll want to leave the light on. Young readers will love the suspense in the unknown as each story contains mystery and creatures that go bump in the night.

On my first trip into the ghoulish world o
swag2perfect84
Sep 10, 2008 swag2perfect84 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of R.L.Stien
Nightmare Hour was a book with many stories in. Two of my favorite stories are alien candy and pumkinhead. Pumpkinhead is about 3 friends going to pick pumpkins. The patch owner tells them to stay away from his private patch or else. Later that night they come back and sneek into his private patch.when they are all over they get squeezed by pumkin vines untill their heads pop off.
The second story is about a kid joining an alien club. He expects the club to talk about aliens untill one member ta
Lauren :)
I liked this book of short stories and they were all fun to read. The author, R.L. Stine, did a wonderful job at being creative and making the plot for all of the stories and I enjoyed them all. He did an awesome job at using foreshadowing to lead the reader on to what might happen but at the same time he didn’t reveal too much information.
Although the short stories were entertaining and I enjoyed reading them I wasn’t as scared as I hoped to be. The book was spooky and eerie at times but I ne
Marcia
Oct 01, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-8, scary
I think R.L. Stine has gotten a bum rap. His incredibly successful and still popular Goosebumps series was the bane of parents a few years back, claiming his books were junk food while their children gobbled them up.
I think he is a master of suspense for the elementary school set.
With expert pacing and contemporary language, he draws kids into stories they can relate to. He uses cliffhangers very effectively and that is one reason that children just clamor for more. This set of 10 short stories
Nicole
I don't really think this book was that good. It was a pretty easy read, it wasn't boring just so damn predictable and incredibly cliche. I was going to use the fact that the book was written in the late 90's as an excuse to why this book was cliche, and as to why the characters dialogue was so flat boring and just things kids would not say. Then I remembered that Stephen king wrote Salem's Lot in the 70's and it still scared the hell out of me when I read it in like 2007 and it was a really goo ...more
Halley Hopson
Oct 13, 2016 Halley Hopson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was a nice little collection of short stories by R.L. Stine to help get me in the spooky Halloween spirit. I didn't love this collection and there were really only like 3 of the stories that I really enjoyed but it did its job.

Pumpkin Head - 2.5/5 stars
Alien Candy - 2/5 stars
The Most Evil Sorcerer - 1/5 stars
Nightmare Inn - 3.25/5 stars
I'm Not Martin - 4.5/5 stars; I really liked this one
The Black Mask - 3/5 stars
Afraid of Clowns - 5/5 stars; definitely my favorite
The Dead Body - 3.5/5 sta
I read "The Most Evil Sorcerer" with my students for the week of Halloween. It was fantastic. I made Jeff read it I liked it so much.

It was easy to teach protagonist, antagonist, conflict, plot and characterization with it, too. Awesome!

I'm not so sure about the other stories in this book as the only other one I read is "Pumpkinhead" and it wasn't nearly as good as "The Most Evil Sorcerer." One day, when I have more than two minutes of alone time, I'll come back and finish the other stories.
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Cuánto tiempo hacía que no leía nada de R. L. Stine, con lo que me gustaba su serie de "Pesadillas" a mis diecipocos...
Con esta serie de diez relatos he vuelto a sentir aquello que sentí hace tiempo... y es que nunca sabías cómo podían terminar las historias de este autor. Te sorprendían sí o sí.
Sí que es verdad que todas las narraciones tienen el mismo patrón (niñ@ que se encuentra con algo insólito en el lugar donde vive), pero me han enganchado sus historias como lo hicieron hace casi veinte
Zer
Nov 15, 2011 Zer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Nightmare Hour kept me interested throughout most of the stories. Some short stories were better than others. Keep reading as there are great stories for each and every one of us!

I liked the fact that the stories were short, scary, and kept my interest. I was able to finish the book in less than a week~! It felt great to be able to read at my pace and enjoy the stories. I read this book everywhere I went: at home, in the car (as my husband drove), during the breaks, and during lunch. I couldn't
Christina
Jan 23, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was already a big fan of R.L. Stine before I read this book, but I loved this book! I couldn't put this book down, and I read the book in one day. There are ten spooky stories in this book, which are the perfect kind of spooky for middle school kids. I even say that this book would be good for 4th and 5th graders, but know your children before giving this book for them to read..If your kids love the "Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark" series by Alvin Schwartz, they would love this book, or any ...more
Eden
Apr 02, 2011 Eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories range from candy that could possibly turn one into an alien to Werewolves inhabiting an old, run down Inn to staring down a ghost and many others.

This is only the second book I've ever read by R.L. Stine and I greatly enjoyed it. The stories didn't scare me, but some were slightly creepy and they definitely make you think about things. My most favorite story was the one about the evil wizard. I think that was very creative. Overall, good book! I bet this would be fun to read around H
Pujiyanto stiffy
Aku ingin berlari dari buku ini.. tapi juga ingin memdekat ke arah buku ini. Kisah-kisahnya memikatku.. terutama tentang Topeng itu... endingnya... lalu yang ga kalah seru dan menakutkan adalah Kisah tentang Martin.. ini salah satu kisah mimpi buruk yang sangat buruk yang terus membayangiku..
Samanta Sukevicius
Hermosos cuentos, no dejo de asustarme desde chica con sus cuentos, son geniales, la forma de relarlos es asombrosa, me encantan sus historias.
Scott
Nov 10, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some wonderful short stories for Halloween
Nancy
Nov 19, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
AraBD
Oct 04, 2014 AraBD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, 2014
Tiene muy buenas historias, las he disfrutado todas. Mi favorita es "No soy Martín", ya la he contado a varias personas y todas encuentran el final muy sorpresivo. Gracias Calypso por prestármelo.
Eya Barrak
Feb 21, 2016 Eya Barrak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of those were cheesy but other ones were really creepy. I enjoyed this one ! (read it in french btw )
Tibby Pepper
Oct 12, 2014 Tibby Pepper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-library
Good book. Best to read at night.
Angie
Dec 05, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ahhh... my childhood memories...
Irham Nurrahman
May 14, 2017 Irham Nurrahman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Baca Ulang)
Rating 5/5
Salah satu buku terbaik RL Stine menurut saya,ingat awal baca sangat terkesan dan melekat sampai sekarang.10 Kisah yang sangat bagus dan mengerikan.Menurut saya kisahnya simpel dan efektif,lebih menakutkan dariada kisah-kisah Goosebumps.
Joey l
May 18, 2017 Joey l rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as well as I thought it was going to be. I thought there were going to be good little stories, but they just didn't make much sense to me.
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • Friday the 13th
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • Things That Go Bump in the Night (3:15 Season One)
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Sideshow: Ten Original Tales of Freaks, Illusionists and Other Matters Odd and Magical
  • Blood Trail
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • Deadly Attraction (Nightmare Hall, #3)
  • Famous Modern Ghost Stories
  • Trouble with Lemons (Fawcett Juniper)
  • The Diary
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • The Whisper Jar