Start by marking “Nightmare Hour” as Want to Read:
Nightmare Hour

Nightmare Hour

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  69 reviews

"These are my scariest stories ever," says R.L. Stine, "because I wrote them at the Nightmare Hour." You know when that is...it's when the lights fade, the real world spins into shadow--and the cold, moonlit world of evil dreams takes over your mind.

What horror awaits a boy who has to spend Halloween in the hospital? How do you outwit a ghost who wants your skin? Why is

Published (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare Hour

Jeff_§of2014
This book is a collection of 10 stories by R.L. Stine, they are Halloween stories which were written to spook kids or just reading it for fun. The story that stood out to me was a story called I'm not Martin, the story takes place in a hospital when a young boy needs to have his tonsils removed. When he gets to his room there is another boy always screaming "I'm not Martin!" The nurses say that he is Martin and he is just scared for his surgery because he needed his leg removed. The day it was ...more
Bea
There were some genuinely scary stories. Some, I could see where the story was going but some I couldn't.
Eman
This book is creepy but not scary.
Francesco
Morgan Hawk
For a creepy story to read around the campfire, look no further than Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror by R.L Stine. He has combined some of his ten scariest short stories into Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror, and this collection of short stories is the perfect length for a short read before bed, but you’ll want to leave the light on. Young readers will love the suspense in the unknown as each story contains mystery and creatures that go bump in the night.

On my first trip into the ghoulish world o
Catie
¿Quién no esperaba esto después de que me gustara tanto Socorro y fuera una niñita rara que miraba So Weird, Escalofríos y Le Temes a La Oscuridad en la tele? Como una ávida lectora de literatura fantástica, tengo un especial rincón en mi corazón para las historias de miedo. No soy extremadamente valiente ni nada, así que la pizca de terror que me dan y lo terriblemente curiosa que soy contribuyen a que no me pueda resistir cuando me ofrecen este tipo de historias.

Recuerdo que encontré este libr
Anastasia
I have always been an avid fan of R.L. Stine since his Fear Street collection came out when I was about 8 years old. My brother and I read this collection when we were young and the stories resurface every time we see clowns, hospitals, or pumpkin patches. This Nightmare Hour is a GREAT collection of short stories that are perfect for any young horror fans.

Pumpkin Head What could possibly lie in the creepy pumpkin farmer's private pumpkin patch?

Alien Candy What happens to an avid alien fan?
Sandra (Page by Page)
For complete review, check my bookblog, pagebypage-sc.blogspot.com.

Nightmare Hour is an anthology of ten short stories by R. L. Stine who is famous for his Goosebumps series. The story-telling style and creepy level in this book is pretty much the same with other Goosebumps books. What you’ll find different is the little insight from Stine where he tells readers about where he gets the idea of each short story. It surprised me how bizarre Stine’s way of thinking must be. I mean, you don’t think
swag2perfect84
Sep 29, 2008 swag2perfect84 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of R.L.Stien
Nightmare Hour was a book with many stories in. Two of my favorite stories are alien candy and pumkinhead. Pumpkinhead is about 3 friends going to pick pumpkins. The patch owner tells them to stay away from his private patch or else. Later that night they come back and sneek into his private patch.when they are all over they get squeezed by pumkin vines untill their heads pop off.
The second story is about a kid joining an alien club. He expects the club to talk about aliens untill one member ta
Lauren :)
I liked this book of short stories and they were all fun to read. The author, R.L. Stine, did a wonderful job at being creative and making the plot for all of the stories and I enjoyed them all. He did an awesome job at using foreshadowing to lead the reader on to what might happen but at the same time he didn’t reveal too much information.
Although the short stories were entertaining and I enjoyed reading them I wasn’t as scared as I hoped to be. The book was spooky and eerie at times but I ne
Marcia
Oct 01, 2011 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-8, scary
I think R.L. Stine has gotten a bum rap. His incredibly successful and still popular Goosebumps series was the bane of parents a few years back, claiming his books were junk food while their children gobbled them up.
I think he is a master of suspense for the elementary school set.
With expert pacing and contemporary language, he draws kids into stories they can relate to. He uses cliffhangers very effectively and that is one reason that children just clamor for more. This set of 10 short stories
Nicole
I don't really think this book was that good. It was a pretty easy read, it wasn't boring just so damn predictable and incredibly cliche. I was going to use the fact that the book was written in the late 90's as an excuse to why this book was cliche, and as to why the characters dialogue was so flat boring and just things kids would not say. Then I remembered that Stephen king wrote Salem's Lot in the 70's and it still scared the hell out of me when I read it in like 2007 and it was a really goo ...more
Zer
Nightmare Hour kept me interested throughout most of the stories. Some short stories were better than others. Keep reading as there are great stories for each and every one of us!

I liked the fact that the stories were short, scary, and kept my interest. I was able to finish the book in less than a week~! It felt great to be able to read at my pace and enjoy the stories. I read this book everywhere I went: at home, in the car (as my husband drove), during the breaks, and during lunch. I couldn't
Eden
The stories range from candy that could possibly turn one into an alien to Werewolves inhabiting an old, run down Inn to staring down a ghost and many others.

This is only the second book I've ever read by R.L. Stine and I greatly enjoyed it. The stories didn't scare me, but some were slightly creepy and they definitely make you think about things. My most favorite story was the one about the evil wizard. I think that was very creative. Overall, good book! I bet this would be fun to read around H
Christina
I was already a big fan of R.L. Stine before I read this book, but I loved this book! I couldn't put this book down, and I read the book in one day. There are ten spooky stories in this book, which are the perfect kind of spooky for middle school kids. I even say that this book would be good for 4th and 5th graders, but know your children before giving this book for them to read..If your kids love the "Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark" series by Alvin Schwartz, they would love this book, or any ...more
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Cuánto tiempo hacía que no leía nada de R. L. Stine, con lo que me gustaba su serie de "Pesadillas" a mis diecipocos...
Con esta serie de diez relatos he vuelto a sentir aquello que sentí hace tiempo... y es que nunca sabías cómo podían terminar las historias de este autor. Te sorprendían sí o sí.
Sí que es verdad que todas las narraciones tienen el mismo patrón (niñ@ que se encuentra con algo insólito en el lugar donde vive), pero me han enganchado sus historias como lo hicieron hace casi veinte
I read "The Most Evil Sorcerer" with my students for the week of Halloween. It was fantastic. I made Jeff read it I liked it so much.

It was easy to teach protagonist, antagonist, conflict, plot and characterization with it, too. Awesome!

I'm not so sure about the other stories in this book as the only other one I read is "Pumpkinhead" and it wasn't nearly as good as "The Most Evil Sorcerer." One day, when I have more than two minutes of alone time, I'll come back and finish the other stories.
Pujiyanto stiffy
Aku ingin berlari dari buku ini.. tapi juga ingin memdekat ke arah buku ini. Kisah-kisahnya memikatku.. terutama tentang Topeng itu... endingnya... lalu yang ga kalah seru dan menakutkan adalah Kisah tentang Martin.. ini salah satu kisah mimpi buruk yang sangat buruk yang terus membayangiku..
AraBD
Tiene muy buenas historias, las he disfrutado todas. Mi favorita es "No soy Martín", ya la he contado a varias personas y todas encuentran el final muy sorpresivo. Gracias Calypso por prestármelo.
Scott
Some wonderful short stories for Halloween
Angie
ahhh... my childhood memories...
Tibby Pepper
Good book. Best to read at night.
Makiya
Jun 04, 2015 Makiya is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ning
3.5星。挺好的,10个小故事,吓吓小孩子应该足够了:)。很容易读
Lidya
Kaget juga di perpus pusat ada buku karya penulis serial terkenal Goosebumps ini. Covernya yang seramlah yang memuat gue mengambil dan meminjam buku ini, sekaligus ingin nostalgia. Apakah seseram buku Goosebumps? Hmm..kalau masih SD, gue akan menganggap buku ini seram. Tapi kalau sudah 'setua' ini, buku ini tidak lagi seram tapi menyenangkan (dengan ending nge-twist khas Goosebumps). Sebetulnya mau memberi tiga bintang, tapi ilustrasi di dalam bukunya seram, jadi dikurangi jadi 2. Haha.
Amber Adamchuk
My mom got me this book cause it made her think of me, she thought the author sounded familar. LOL he should I since as a teen I would only read R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike.

So on to the book of short stories. I enjoyed it, it brought back good memeories of reading as a teen. I think I will take this on my next camping trip and use it to read to others around the campfire. That's what it made me think of, telling scary stories around the campfire!
Annamaria
WOW this book is really good!!! This book is about all these mini stories of scary stories> My favorite one is I'm not Marvin because it's funny and not so much scary but good. I don't want to tell you it because I don't want to spoil the surprise for you. You just have to read it for yourself. This book probable has 10-12 stories. I would recommend this book to people who like scary stuff (but it's not that scary.) So i hope you read this book it's really good!!!
Markele Cotton
Do you like scary books? If you do then Nightmare Hour by R.L. Stine is the perfect book for you. The book is about kids who face paranormal events some of the problems they face are aliens, evil sorcerers, and lots more.
I enjoyed this book so much because of its intense realism,and how it leaves on the edge of your seat I recommend this book to kids 10,and up because of some scary content.
This book makes an wonderful addition to your colletion.
Almira Monica
Thrilling and exciting quick-read. The Black Mask is my favorite!
Katie
I kind of expected a lot from this book, since it was written by R.L. Stine, but the stories weren't as scary as I expected. A few were creepy, and there were maybe one or two that I would actually consider scary, but too often I found myself thinking "...what was the point of that story?" I would recommend it to scary story lovers because it was short enough to read quickly, but those who like big thrills will be disappointed.
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • Things That Go Bump in the Night (3:15 Season One)
  • Blood Trail
  • Guilty (Nightmare Hall, #6)
  • Trouble with Lemons
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • The Diary
  • Perfect Little Town
  • Dare to Be Scared: Thirteen Stories to Chill and Thrill
  • Party Line
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)
  • Skeleton Man
  • A Reward for Josefina (American Girls Short Stories)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)