Start by marking “Cybill Disobedience” as Want to Read:
Cybill Disobedience

Cybill Disobedience

3.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,481 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
'How I survived beauty pageants, Elvis, sex, Bruce Willis, lies, marriage, motherhood, Hollywood, and the irrepressible urge to say what you think.'

From wholesome beauty queen to saucy cover girl, from heartbreaking movie star (THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, TAXI DRIVER) to one of television's most loved comediennes (MOONLIGHTING, CYBILL), Cybill Shepherd is renowned as sassy, sho
Published by River Siren Productions, Inc. (first published April 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cybill Disobedience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cybill Disobedience

Mariana
Jan 27, 2015 Mariana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Honestly, a masterpiece. The paragon to which all other tell-all books should be compared.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
I am so glad this book was a free download. If not, I don't think I would ever have recovered from my rage at paying money for it. I bought it because I am always fascinated by other people's work and I thought it would be all about what it's like being a television actor. Instead, it started with a blow-by-blow of Ms Shepherd's teenage backseat fumblings and progressed to the main part of the book which was chiefly concerned with her congratulating herself on wrecking people's marriages. I must ...more
Kathleen
This book lacks any literary quality, and I feel a mild guilty pleasure for having read it... I will assuage my guilt by recommending it as summertime reading.

It's what I imagine it may be like if I were to wind up at a nice restaurant with Cybil Shepherd and over a long meal with _a lot_ of drinks, she talked about herself endlessly, and I egged her on the whole time while typing everything she said and buying us both more drinks.

So relax in your sand chair and listen to Cybil, but don't take
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was not a happy read. I was really disappointed. I found her to be bratty and self absorbed. Just not likable at all. And the bits on sex were embarrassing in that she seemed so desperate to come off as sexy. I never believed the hype surrounding her that she was a bitch to work with, since it seems that is the “story” on almost all successful actresses, but after reading her side… I actually believe she really was impossible to work with.
Ellie
I love celebrity bios-and auto bios. And I have watched (and enjoyed) Cybill Shepherd since her breakout success in The Last Picture Show. Plus I adore Bruce Willis. So how could I not love Cybill Disobedience : How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think?

Less than pedestrian writing and often too much information-both in the sense of too much intimate detail and in the sense of just more than wa
Madelon
Dec 13, 2010 Madelon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of biography, and I don't read a lot of celebrity biography, but this was really a hard book to put down. I found it to be refreshingly honest, and that from a woman who describes herself as the consummate liar throughout her life.

I didn't know that Cybill Shepard was a singer. Now I do. I've checked out her voice in Amazon music and iTunes. I may be acquiring some of this music, bluesy, blowsy, Memphis music in the very near future.

I think the impetus to reading this comes fr
David Jay
This has happened to me before. I pick up a celebrity autobiography, the celebrity in question being someone that I've always liked for one reason or another. With Cybill Shepherd, she has always seems very smart, and funny, and politically aware and savvy. (But I've had this exact same thing happen with Rosie O'Donnell, Patti Lupone, the list goes on and on). I read the book and discover, ok, this person (let's say Cybill) may in fact be smart and funny and politically aware, but WOW, she is an ...more
Kitty
Feb 03, 2011 Kitty rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I wouldn't call myself a HUGE Cybill Shepherd fan, but I did watch and enjoy Moonlighting, and I was mildly curious about her life. Cybill's story is certainly interesting, and from the looks of it, she certainly didn't "play it safe" with this book. She shares the good, the bad, and the ugly - about herself, and everyone else. There are a few references to people that she doesn't give names to, but there are plenty that she does name: including Peter Bogdanovich, Bruce Willis, Christine Baransk ...more
Sharienne
Mar 08, 2016 Sharienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about Ms. Shepherd's experiences. My oI was disappointed to read that she and Baranski got along so poorly on the set on her self-titled show. Two of my favorite lines of all time were delivered by Christine Baranski in relation to that show.

As Cybil moaned about her sex life to her friend Baranski finally cuts her off with the line (that was new to me even if y'all have heard it) "Waiter, I'd like another Scotch and could you bring my friend a clue?"

And then, as Baranski accep
Israel Yanez
Oct 26, 2010 Israel Yanez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was free at the Kindle store... don't judge. Well, the prologue seemed to promise an amusing read, but after that I couldn't get past a couple more chapters. The stories of sexual escapade were as boring as they were self-absorbed. Good thing this was a free e-book I could simply delete from my iPad. Goodreads needs an option for "didn't finish because it stank"
Sally Smith
Someone needed to tell this woman that she didn't need to sleep with every man she met. Wow, did this woman live a life of sexual escapades! Yes, she is very self-absorbed, and my previous admiration for her has been lowered a notch or two. However, I do believe she really unmasks the good-old-boy network that rules Hollywood. When she complained that characters she was playing were saying things and doing things that she knows they would never say and do, she was screamed and yelled at and over ...more
Aliree Paul
I thought it would be fascinating to learn more about Cybill especially her time on Moonlighting because I am a big Bruce Willis fan. This book was very disappointing.
I found it hard to keep reading but willed myself to finish the book. Cybill often comes often as long winded explaining things in boring detail that really don't need to be explained. She talks some about her co-stars on different movies and television shows but doesn't really reveal anything surprising about them.
She seems whin
Lisa
Oct 12, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok
Love her or hate her... Cybill apparently doesn't care, as she lets it all hang out in this memoir. I admire her frankness while being put off by her total self-absorption. Pretty sure she earned that rep for being hard to work with.

This is your basic guilty pleasure trashy read. Quick and dirty. If you got it free on Kindle, as I did, more power to ya.
Jaime
Oct 20, 2015 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read quite a few reviews of this book before deciding to purchase, and some of them referred to this book as "smut." After reading those reviews, I had very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. It has a similar feel to other Hollywood autobiographies I've read, so maybe those same reviewers would feel everyone in Hollywood is "smutty." Which might be true come to think of it. And I will give consideration to the word "smut" to describe Cybill's enormous list of sex ...more
Carla Remy
All honesty, I skimmed it. I really just wanted to read the Moonlighting parts. But there was interesting stuff throughout. I think it's cool that Cybill hates high heels.
Adi
Nov 24, 2010 Adi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesanta pentru cei carora le-a placut Moonlighting - detaliaza cariera ei de model si actrita. Nu stiam ca a jucat in Taxi Driver.
Joy
Feb 18, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Cybill
This is a great, dishy celeb memoir from one of my favorite actresses.
Sull
Jun 16, 2015 Sull rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sull by: Yard sale
Some mediocre autobiographies you keep reading to see if the author learns any lessons. This book began oddly, with the author rushing to a singing engagement on foot when her city taxi is caught in a traffic jam, then batting away distracting requests from her children so that she can break free and get herself onstage. NOT an appealing beginning somehow, from a mother who claims to enjoy her kids.

And things went downhill after that, with a few exceptions, into rambling petty squabbles with bo
Vikas Datta
Nov 17, 2014 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it
Quite a delightful account...
Todd Cannon
Feb 25, 2013 Todd Cannon rated it liked it
I got the Kindle edition of this book free about a year ago. I had fun reading it. I am not a huge Cybill Shepherd fan so I learned a lot about her life that I did not know. One interesting thing; she was named after both of her grandfathers Cy and Bill. That is why her name has such a unique spelling. She names a lot of names in this book and obviously had a lot of famous friends and movie/TV associates. Some of these people do good things and some do bad things, including Cybill. To give her c ...more
Kristine
Jan 17, 2016 Kristine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Cybill Disobedience by Cybill Shepherd, a Kindle book I started reading on April 8nd. I chose to read this book due to being a big fan of Moonlighting (or perhaps watching my sister watch Moonlighting, then watching it later when I was her age and being able to grasp the vintage humor and the push & tug steamy relationship between David and Maddy).

Issues, issues, and more issues. Granted Cybill is alot more fluent and in-depth than she may seem on the surface, but she had a hell of alot of m
Mary
Apr 10, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an impulse free purchase. I discovered it whilst hunting around for free/very cheap Kindle books. I was very surprised to find it for free. I've always quite liked Cybill Shepherd and thought her autobiography would be popular. Especially due to the Elvis bits. Then I began to wonder if she'd missed out all the juicy bits and that's why it was free....

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong really. This seems to be a no holds barred account of the way she sees her life. Unless she's led a
Rachel
I remember hearing that Cybill Shepherd's autobiography was a major tell-all when it was released back in 2000. I love celebrity gossip but somehow never got around to reading it so when it was offered as a free Kindle book last year I snagged it.

Cybill definitely tells all about her sexual escapades but didn't tell very much about anything else. I would have liked to know more about the more personal aspects of her life. This book was basically, "Here is the project I worked on and who I slept
Lauren
Aug 23, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
I try not to read reviews prior to reading a book (or seeing a movie) because they tend to bias me but, now that I’ve read the book, I’m not surprised that so many people were disappointed. I’ve always liked Cybill Shepherd (or thought I did) and the title seemed a witty enticement. But with the exception of the first and last chapters, which provided an intro and then a summary, the book reads like dry statistics. These aren’t amusing reminisces but lists of events that fall into either of two ...more
Karen
Aug 28, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autobiographys are just grandstanding and grandiosing about a boring life.

Cybill's was anything but boring. A woman who spoke her mind, didn't live by the conventions of her upbringing and made it through sheer determination.

Cybill Shepherd is a woman I have always admired because of her willingness to call a spade a spade and not sugar coat it. She confronted woman's issues on her popular Cybill show. It was a shame that she happened to annoy the wrong person - that was ultimately the demise -
Mediaman
Jun 07, 2013 Mediaman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cybill Shepherd deserves the grief she gets from everyone--this book proves that she has her nose in the air at all times, trying to portray herself as innocent and well-meaning while making destructive decisions and comments. The worst part of the book is that she tries to use her life as a role model for women's liberation, yet in truth she's a complete hypocrite. While she condemns controlling, lying, cheating men, she herself acts the same way...and often worse.

The book is filled with her st
Krista Ashe
Jan 07, 2012 Krista Ashe rated it liked it
Shelves: my-112-of-2012
Was surprised to find this as a free download. I'm a big fan of biographies, so I thought, why not. When everyone my age was watching 90210, the old soul in me was watching Murphy Brown, Cheers as well as Cybil Shepherd's show, Cybil. I was too young for her days in Moonlighting, but I had seen Taxi Driver.

One could say Cybil's a dislikeble person for acknowledging her constant sleeping with married men--including taking married director Peter Bogdonovich away from his wife. Or you could say sh
CuteBadger
Aug 26, 2013 CuteBadger rated it it was ok
I got this as a free book for my Kindle around the time I bought it in 2011, but hadn't got round to reading it after 2 years. I was looking for something light to read so started this and finished it quite quickly.

I'm not a huge fan of Cybill Shepherd (never watched Moonlighting for example) but I did enjoy her eponymous sitcom so was quite interested in finding out more about her life. The only person who really comes out of her portrayal of her life well is herself, which paradoxically means
Amelia Chameleon
I didn't know much about Cybill Shepherd before starting this book, but it was a free Kindle download and I'm a sucker for a bio, so...

It was an enjoyable read. Although she does seem a little "fuzzy" on why EVERYONE around her thinks she's pushy. At the end, she kind of backtracks a bit and says that she realizes that it's a case of not seeing herself properly and that if everyone else has a problem, maybe the problem is her. Good to see that she at least acknowledges the mistakes that she's ma
Cherryl Northcutt Valdez
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-Biz Saga
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Black Is the New White
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • Where the Hell is Matt? The Story Behind the Internet Dancing Sensation
  • Between a Heart and a Rock Place

“like it when I hear this process called “montage.” It seems to convey the hope that the whole will add up to even more than the sum of its parts. Film is visual music. It’s put together with more than logic and announces when it’s right. Many a performance can be made or destroyed by what is left in or cut out.” 1 likes
“TWO THINGS HAVE ALWAYS SAVED MY LIFE: READING and singing. Books and music have comforted me, informed me, helped me define myself. It’s impossible to overstate their importance to my mental health, spiritual sustenance, and survival on the planet.” 1 likes