Start by marking “On the Shoulders of Giants: My Journey Through the Harlem Renaissance” as Want to Read:
On the Shoulders of Giants: My Journey Through the Harlem Renaissance

On the Shoulders of Giants: My Journey Through the Harlem Renaissance

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From 1920 to 1940, the Harlem Renaissance produced a bright beacon of light that paved the way for African-Americans all over the country. The unapologetic writings of W. E. B. Du Bois and Marcus Garvey, the fervent fiction and poetry of Zora Neale Hurston and Langston Hughes, the groundbreaking art of Aaron Douglas and William H. Johnson, and the triumphant music of Duke ...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On the Shoulders of Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Shoulders of Giants

Bill
I generally hate it when authors insert themselves as subjects of histories and other people's biographies. But this mix of memoir and history of the Harlem Renaissance was actually quite interesting. I guess, when the author is as accomplished in their own right as the subjects of the book, I can give said author a bit of license. Sometimes I found the links Abdul-Jabbar was trying to make between himself and the Harlem Renaissance a bit tenuous. Other than that, though, the book is incredibly ...more
Erin Cataldi
This is hands down a must read! When my uncle suggested I read this, I was skeptical. It didn't look all that amazing. But he finally wore me down and I'm so glad he did, because I enjoyed the shit out of this work!

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar combines history and personal narratives to produce an enriched account of the Harlem Renaissance and how it impacted his personal beliefs, ideologies, and life. Kareem explores three major sections of the Harlem Renaissance: the literary achievements of black lege
Steven Spector
A true oddity. An extraordinarily intelligent sports figure sharing part of his life and his influences with you. An excellent survey which only encourages readers (without force) to seek out more on the topic.
Matt
Jan 15, 2011 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Basketball fans, Abdul-Jabar fans, Harlem Renassiance fans
This book is a great overview of the Harlem Renaissance through the lens of Lew Alcindor's (he wasn't Karrem Abdul-Jabar yet) upbringing in nearby Inwood. The book is Abdul-Jabar's view of the Harlem Renaissance.

The layout of the book is interesting. It is a long chapter detailing a certain aspect of the Harlem Renaissance (literature, poetry, basketball) followed by an essay-length chapter on how that aspect personally affected Abdul-Jabar. It may not be the best history of the Renaissance (it
Steve
Not a straight history of the Harlem Renaissance. Rather, like most of Kareem's books, it's a history of events as perceived by him. Actually, it's about the individuals and movements in literature, basketball, and music of the Renaissance who have made a difference to him. Granted, the figures he chose are nearly universal in their import, but this is a history through Kareem's personal lens. So for those who love him, this will be a great read. For the haters, the converse will be true. For mo ...more
Rives Coleman
This was a tremendous book that spanned both culture and sports within the Harlem Renaissance. I found a lot of value in this book and learned a great deal!
Thomas Ponce
A very good book that discusses the history on the Harlem Renaissance. Kareems personal experiences are mentioned the book isn't concentrated on him.
Michele
A great historical review of the Harlem Renaissance and its many players. A little tougher to make the connection between the author and that history, but still interesting. I found the writing fairly uneven -- it appeared from the headings that Abdul-Jabbar wrote pieces and the ghostwriter wrote pieces. I preferred Kareem's voice and would have liked to read more from him!
Nelson
I was watching the BYU vs. UCLA Las Vegas Bowl when I saw UCLA run this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08YHxp... and learned that Kareem was a history major.

A few years ago I found this book at the bargain bin at Borders.

Gilbert
Very enjoyable & informative overview of the Harlem Renaissance, & how it impacted the life of Kareem Abdul-Jabar. Very enjoyable whether or not you are a basketball fan, and helpful for me to understand this era of American history.
Oscar
Jul 06, 2007 Oscar rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Semi-encyclopedic account of Kareem's interest in Harlem. Leans heavily on honorific adjectives as he describes Harlem figures. Good basketball details and excellent picture of Cab Calloway looking to play some tough D.
Lamarr
I found It fascinating and informative. I paticularly found the story of the migration to Harlem by blacks at the turn of the last century eye opening.
I loved this book. Good job Kareem!!
Christopher
Actually finished this six years ago or so after I last logged in to Goodreads.
Karen Brown
So far, I'm really enjoying this. It's a refreshing way to explore history.
Larry
Harlem Renaissance through Jabbar's eyes.
Παναγιώτης Δημόπουλος
i haven't read this yet, but it's great
Plainjane
Plainjane marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Willie Green
Willie Green marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Notorious Spinks
Notorious Spinks marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Rob Inglis
Rob Inglis marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Geoff
Geoff marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Katrina Schreiber
Katrina Schreiber marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Denise Billings
Denise Billings marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. on April 16, 1947 in New York City, New York, United States) is an American former professional basketball player and current assistant coach. Typically referred to as Lew Alcindor in his younger days, he changed his name when he converted to Islam.
More about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...
Sasquatch in the Paint (Streetball Crew, #1) Brothers in Arms: The Epic Story of the 761st Tank Battalion, WWII's Forgotten Heroes What Color Is My World?: The Lost History of African-American Inventors Giant Steps: The Autobiography of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Black Profiles in Courage: A Legacy of African-American Achievement