Start by marking “The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit

The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit

Perhaps you're a "closet writer" who's been scribbling in journals for years. Maybe you once had a passion for playing the piano or violin--a passion that is still flickering somewhere deep inside you. You may have a knack for photography, drawing, gardening, cooking, or some other creative gift. Or you may long to express yourself creatively, but have yet to discover your ...more
Published November 20th 2001 by Shaw Books

To ask other readers questions about The Creative Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creative Call

Heidi Guenther
Jun 14, 2012 Heidi Guenther rated it it was amazing
I've read this book before, but I am identifying with her words more than ever before!! A fabulous book for anyone who identifies themselves as "creative"! It's refreshing to see someone having the words to explain so eloquently the very concepts of this book that I struggled to explain to others before I had ever heard of "the Creative Call". Now I wonder why it was so hard for me to explain when her words make it seem so simple & obvious! I kept on saying, "Yes! Someone else believes this ...more
Jeff
Feb 10, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
A good spiritual boost for those of us artists who -- as is all too common among us -- become drained and wonder whether we have anything worth giving. Through various exercises and words of encouragement, Ms. Elsheimer helps us renew or minds and our hearts, and gives us permission to call ourselves artists regardless of any external success.
Apryl Anderson
Jul 27, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it liked it
This was nice. Elsheimer plainly admits that she was inspired by Cameron's 'the Artists Way'. I was too, and that pagan book changed my life. By comparison, this one was insipid American Christianeeze. Maybe I'm just jealous that she's published and I'm not...yet....
Shelly
Apr 14, 2014 Shelly is currently reading it
Starting Chapter 2. Loving it. The Christian's version of The Artist's Way.
Angela Webster
Aug 10, 2014 Angela Webster rated it really liked it
For those of us whose day job involves writing, it can be challenging to find time for the creative writing we want to do for our own purposes, and this book does a great job of showing how/where/when to find the time to live the more creative life we are seeking. This book was written as a sort of Christian version of Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way," which I read years ago, and some of the projects have similarities: writing practice (a/k/a "Morning Pages"), writing prompts, creative collage ...more
Lzarr
May 14, 2011 Lzarr rated it liked it
This book provided just enough structure for me to think through my own ideas about creativity and my particular artist's call at this point in my life. I really liked most of the journal exercises and appreciated the practical approach the author took to solving the "but, I don't have time" dilemma many artists and creative souls encounter. Reading this book during the transition from teaching year to summer break was a great way to smooth out some of the bumps and gave me a focus for my newfou ...more
Danielle Smiley
Oct 10, 2011 Danielle Smiley rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book!!! So many people have moved away from or never discovered their creative outlet (and yes, we ALL have creativity running through our veins) and need direction and inspiration to get back to it. This book is about reconnecting with that creative self and connecting with the Great Creator in the process. When I started reading this book, I had already started the process of reconnecting to my art, but I found so much in this book that spoke to my soul. This is a must read ...more
Sherry Elmer
Jul 10, 2014 Sherry Elmer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers/Artists and those who think they may be
Are you a writer, artist, musician, dancer? Or an aspiring writer, artist, musician, or dancer? Then this book is for you.

Janice Elsheimer has done a beautiful job of taking readers on a path through the fear, doubt, and uncertainty that creativity can bring and leading them to a place of hope, confidence, and willingness to develop the gifts that God has bestowed.

The book is arranged to be done in eight weeks, but I would recommend taking your time and stretching it out longer than that. Each
Kathy
Oct 05, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
The Creative Call can be used for individual or group study. I used it with a group this past year. Elsheimer walks readers through simple steps to reclaim their creative spirit. Using practical applications, examples from her own life, and exercises within the book, the reader is able to work through stumbling blocks that may inhibit their own growth, and be given permission and affirmation that their gifts are important. I believe that God created us and calls us to become co-creators with him ...more
Diane Ramirez
Jun 08, 2011 Diane Ramirez rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
This book is full of exercises, good questions to ask yourself in order to reignite the creative side of you and to explore what hinders or blocks that creative spirit in you. I need to finish this book.

Erwin Raphael McManu, author of An Unstoppable force said this about the book, "Human creativity has been like a prodigal longing to return to its father. Janice Elsheimer guides the artist home." Well said about this book.
Anna
Sep 26, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
One of the most affirming and life changing books I've read as an artist. Need to go back through it. This book touches the essence of why we've been given creative gifts in the first place-and the necessity to use them for a far greater purpose. We are meant to touch the lives of others with the talents we've been blessed with. This book encourages the acknowledgement, development, & sharing of those talents.
Lane
Aug 27, 2013 Lane rated it it was amazing
Stuck? Unsure of your creative calling? Wondering what God has to say about your gifting? Enjoy the challenge and insights offered in this pragmatic workbook that will have you jumping off the high dive into the creativity within you. Creativity is life-giving and comes in response to the Holy Spirit's invitations. Join in the party!
Nicole
Dec 21, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
I loved how this book made me think differently about writing as "artistic". It stressed that being creative is a gift God gives us and we should be practicing that. It was a shift in thinking. Would be best to do in a group.
Alexa
Sep 02, 2009 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction into examining your passion for making art, discovering your process in art-making, and encouraging one to be persistent and disciplined throughout the day.
Peggy
Jun 06, 2012 Peggy rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a creative outlet, you'll enjoy seeking God's creative call for your life. This practical workbook could also be a great retreat guide. Use your creativity!
Elaine
May 30, 2012 Elaine rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very helpful in exploring my gifts in the area of art and opening to the breath of the Holy Spirit in my art.
Suzanne Elliott
Oct 14, 2010 Suzanne Elliott marked it as to-read
It was ok, same kind of thing I've read in other books on writing. Not really anythng new here. An easy read.
Tyra
Jun 30, 2010 Tyra rated it really liked it
Shelves: creating
I read this book in conjuction with an art class. This book is written in the same tone and with the same charge to be creative as The Artist Way, but from a Christian perspective.
Mar 27, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Wonderful group study for the artist. Even a great read to do alone. Lots of fun exercises to help get you motivated to create, and to use the gifts God gave you.
sarah
May 10, 2007 sarah rated it it was amazing
anyone with a creative mind-a must read, really!!!
Crystal
Sep 05, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It really is peaceful to read.
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This is kind of like a Christianized version of Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way and I think the author did a very good job of bringing God into the discussion of creativity and art.
Rachel Rizzo
May 10, 2011 Rachel Rizzo rated it liked it
This is like a Christian version of The Artist's Way. I was skeptical at first, but it was quite helpful.
Anna Salahub
An inspiring book that is useful for Christians to understand that talents are gifts from God that we ARE to use.
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Trenare
Trenare rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2009
Katy Sammons
Katy Sammons rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Tina Yeager
Tina Yeager rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God (Active Prayer)
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Spoken For: Embracing Who You Are and Whose You Are
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Writing for the Soul: Instruction and Advice from an Extraordinary Writing Life
  • The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Your Secret Name: Discovering Who God Created You to Be
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • Letters From Eden: A Year at Home, in the Woods
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Spirit Controlled Woman

“Our gifts are not from God to us, but from God through us to the world.” 0 likes