Start by marking “The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit

The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Perhaps you're a "closet writer" who's been scribbling in journals for years. Maybe you once had a passion for playing the piano or violin--a passion that is still flickering somewhere deep inside you. You may have a knack for photography, drawing, gardening, cooking, or some other creative gift. Or you may long to express yourself creatively, but have yet to discover your ...more
Published November 20th 2001 by Shaw Books

To ask other readers questions about The Creative Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creative Call

Heidi Guenther
I've read this book before, but I am identifying with her words more than ever before!! A fabulous book for anyone who identifies themselves as "creative"! It's refreshing to see someone having the words to explain so eloquently the very concepts of this book that I struggled to explain to others before I had ever heard of "the Creative Call". Now I wonder why it was so hard for me to explain when her words make it seem so simple & obvious! I kept on saying, "Yes! Someone else believes this ...more
Jeff
A good spiritual boost for those of us artists who -- as is all too common among us -- become drained and wonder whether we have anything worth giving. Through various exercises and words of encouragement, Ms. Elsheimer helps us renew or minds and our hearts, and gives us permission to call ourselves artists regardless of any external success.
Apryl Anderson
This was nice. Elsheimer plainly admits that she was inspired by Cameron's 'the Artists Way'. I was too, and that pagan book changed my life. By comparison, this one was insipid American Christianeeze. Maybe I'm just jealous that she's published and I'm not...yet....
Angela McRae
For those of us whose day job involves writing, it can be challenging to find time for the creative writing we want to do for our own purposes, and this book does a great job of showing how/where/when to find the time to live the more creative life we are seeking. This book was written as a sort of Christian version of Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way," which I read years ago, and some of the projects have similarities: writing practice (a/k/a "Morning Pages"), writing prompts, creative collage ...more
Lzarr
This book provided just enough structure for me to think through my own ideas about creativity and my particular artist's call at this point in my life. I really liked most of the journal exercises and appreciated the practical approach the author took to solving the "but, I don't have time" dilemma many artists and creative souls encounter. Reading this book during the transition from teaching year to summer break was a great way to smooth out some of the bumps and gave me a focus for my newfou ...more
Danielle Smiley
This is an amazing book!!! So many people have moved away from or never discovered their creative outlet (and yes, we ALL have creativity running through our veins) and need direction and inspiration to get back to it. This book is about reconnecting with that creative self and connecting with the Great Creator in the process. When I started reading this book, I had already started the process of reconnecting to my art, but I found so much in this book that spoke to my soul. This is a must read ...more
Kathy
The Creative Call can be used for individual or group study. I used it with a group this past year. Elsheimer walks readers through simple steps to reclaim their creative spirit. Using practical applications, examples from her own life, and exercises within the book, the reader is able to work through stumbling blocks that may inhibit their own growth, and be given permission and affirmation that their gifts are important. I believe that God created us and calls us to become co-creators with him ...more
Shelly
Apr 23, 2014 Shelly is currently reading it
Starting Chapter 2. Loving it. The Christian's version of The Artist's Way.
Diane Ramirez
This book is full of exercises, good questions to ask yourself in order to reignite the creative side of you and to explore what hinders or blocks that creative spirit in you. I need to finish this book.

Erwin Raphael McManu, author of An Unstoppable force said this about the book, "Human creativity has been like a prodigal longing to return to its father. Janice Elsheimer guides the artist home." Well said about this book.
Anna
One of the most affirming and life changing books I've read as an artist. Need to go back through it. This book touches the essence of why we've been given creative gifts in the first place-and the necessity to use them for a far greater purpose. We are meant to touch the lives of others with the talents we've been blessed with. This book encourages the acknowledgement, development, & sharing of those talents.
Tyra
I read this book in conjuction with an art class. This book is written in the same tone and with the same charge to be creative as The Artist Way, but from a Christian perspective.
Cheryl
This is kind of like a Christianized version of Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way and I think the author did a very good job of bringing God into the discussion of creativity and art.
Peggy
If you're looking for a creative outlet, you'll enjoy seeking God's creative call for your life. This practical workbook could also be a great retreat guide. Use your creativity!
Alexa
A great introduction into examining your passion for making art, discovering your process in art-making, and encouraging one to be persistent and disciplined throughout the day.
Wonderful group study for the artist. Even a great read to do alone. Lots of fun exercises to help get you motivated to create, and to use the gifts God gave you.
Elaine
I found this book to be very helpful in exploring my gifts in the area of art and opening to the breath of the Holy Spirit in my art.
Anna Salahub
An inspiring book that is useful for Christians to understand that talents are gifts from God that we ARE to use.
Rachel Rizzo
This is like a Christian version of The Artist's Way. I was skeptical at first, but it was quite helpful.
Suzanne Elliott
Apr 01, 2013 Suzanne Elliott marked it as to-read
It was ok, same kind of thing I've read in other books on writing. Not really anythng new here. An easy read.
Lily
A very practical and encouraging book for anyone with a creative gift that needs some reassurance.
Jean Grant
This is a Christian equivalent to Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way. I prefer Cameron.
Teresa Sharp
I'm still thinking about this book, not sure what I think yet.
Karen Villar
great book to unleash the artist hidden inside everyone's soul
sarah
anyone with a creative mind-a must read, really!!!
Crystal
Excellent book. It really is peaceful to read.
Lane
Stuck? Unsure of your creative calling? Wondering what God has to say about your gifting? Enjoy the challenge and insights offered in this pragmatic workbook that will have you jumping off the high dive into the creativity within you. Creativity is life-giving and comes in response to the Holy Spirit's invitations. Join in the party!
Gassaway Baptist
Gassaway Baptist marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • The Creativity Book: A Year's Worth of Inspiration and Guidance
  • God is No Laughing Matter
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Writing for the Soul: Instruction and Advice from an Extraordinary Writing Life
  • Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart
  • Spirit Controlled Woman
  • Letters From Eden: A Year at Home, in the Woods
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice
Garden Graces: The Wisdom in Growing Things The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit Grounded in the Garden: The Wisdom of Growing Things The Way of the Spirit: A Christian's Guide to Reawakening the Artist Within