Start by marking “The Code: Baseball's Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-at-Your-Own-Risk Code of Conduct” as Want to Read:

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In The Code, author Ross Bernstein has pulled back the curtain on baseball's tacit rules regarding retaliation, sportsmanship, and intimidation. The result of dozens of interviews with some of the biggest names in the game, The Code is a systematic description of every major "unwritten rule" in the game today - from brushback pitches, bunting during a no-hitter, and runnin ...more
Published March 28th 2008 by Triumph Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Code

Mike
I had high hopes for this book, but unfortunately it was poorly written, badly researched, and uninteresting. The author's sources are essentially Sporting News and Star Tribune articles from the last 20 years and interviews with retired Minnesota Twins. Very few of the players Bernstein interviewed have contrary opinions, so the quotes and stories end up reiterating the author's point again and again, ad infinitum.

There is little need for this book to be as long as it is, and this book was less
Scott  Breslove
The Code was a good, simple, book. If you are a baseball fan, it is a good book to read, in part because it is an easy read, with clearly defined chapters and the language it is written in is easily understandable (and no, im not talking about the book being in English, i mean the authors prose). The book also includes a lot of quotes directly from players, current majors leaguers, all the way to Hall of Famers. The only problem I had with the book is the way that some of the quotes are presente ...more
Dustin Gaughran
It's a solid three stars. I liked the subject matter. It's full of things you might know, and thing you might not know. My real gripe was with the presentation. The chapters are laid out by each subject pertaining to the code. That's all well and good, but each chapter is filled with numerous side bars, relating stories from former players, managers, umps etc. about that chapters current subject. They're all worth reading, but having to jump around constantly is annoying. I felt like it would ha ...more
Gary Braham
There were days I considered this book closer to four star, there were some days it was almost unreadable. I was right around a 2.5 for the book, until the final paragraph, which was the entire conclusion of the book. The book jumped around from topic to topic, but just abruptly ended, without any sort of commentary or conclusions. A dissapointing end to a book that had more negatives than positives.

Points must first be deducted for the formatting of the book. I've never had to do that before f
Chelsea
Um, fluff for baseball fans? A quick read, with way too much talk about intimidation (seriously. every other sentence.), but featuring good stories about Ty Cobb spiking opposing players (or fans, or umps, or managers) he didn't like, Don Drysdale keeping a list written on the bill of his cap so that he could check off names as he retaliated against pitchers who had hit his teammates, and the Clemens/Piazza/bat fiasco.

It's telling that the vast majority of guys who went on record with Bernstein
Mr. Stoner
Liked this book. However the picture on the front of a 40+ Nolan Ryan and a 20 something Robin Ventura is what made me but it. Unfortunately, it is one of the most memorable moments of my lifetime, right there with Fisk reliving Deion to respect the game at home plate, Bo Jackson running across the outfield wall & We Are Family! But I digress. It hit home and was a fun read as a former baseball player.
Deanna also on Leafmarks because I miss Marco
I put this book down for a couple of days before coming back to it. Not something I usually do. I love baseball and baseball stories. The only good part of this book were some of those stories, but they were not enough. How many times did I have to read "It's about respect."? Too many. This was a sports column that had mistakenly been stretched to a book. Not enough there. Not written well enough. Disappointing.
Mike
The book wasn't quite what I expected when I started reading it but it has some interesting points of view, particularly in the last chapter which is on the use of steroids in baseball. I was particularly interested in Mike Marshall's comment and what it seems to say about the time-line and the attitude of the owners.

It was also interesting that the longest chapter by far was the one on stealing signs.
Matt
this book isn't bad. it is, however, three times longer than it needs to be. there's only so much i can hear about going inside, high and tight, the brushback, or any other name for the same policing mechanism that is being killed out of baseball. there were a few more elements of "the code" discussed, but they were treated almost as footnotes. oh well, i like baseball.
Les
One-sitting baseball fluff. The stories and themes became quite repetitive. Reading the words of the players was a nice inside baseball look. The way the book is formatted, the author acts more like an editor of past players' quotes with some commentary. As a Twins fan, the use of the hometown players of my youth was interesting, but probably not for everyone.
J.W. Nicklaus
Lots of very interesting game-within-the-game tidbits, yet very thorough. Fun to see how the players respond to questions about the unwritten code of conduct. A lot of baseball history, but it doesn't read like a statistical manual. Certainly upped my understanding of the game and gives me a whole new perspective when watching it.
Azar Mcmaster
Horribly, horribly written and organized. However, the stories are all interesting. It's more like reading a hardbound Sports Illustrated with lots of interesting stories. But the writing and organization of the "book" is atrocious.
Phil
Love, love, love this book. Repetitive at times and the page layout isn't good, but very interesting an informative. Everyone who is a baseball fan should read this.
Dave
Very little meat to this book. When I saw that the author is a motivational speaker, I wasn't surprised. This is barely worth skimming for a few anecdotes.
Matthew
The topic was interesting but I hated how it was formatted which broke up the text. Nor was their a lot of meat to it.
John
May 11, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marcos, Gary
Shelves: baseball
Good explanations and interviews with the players on what they think of the code and how it has changed over the years.
E
Interesting for a baseball fan, just wish he didn't relate everything in baseball back to hockey!
Kim
Interesting stories, but not terribly well written
Robin
Very interesting if you're a baseball fan!
William Clontz
William Clontz marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sara Paquette
Sara Paquette marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Shem Henrichsen
Shem Henrichsen marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL America's Coach: Life Lessons & Wisdom for Gold Medal Success; A Biographical Journey of the Late Hockey Icon Herb Brooks Raising Stanley - What It Takes to Claim Hockey's Ultimate Prize Wearing the "C": Leadership Secrets from Hockey's Greatest Captains The Code: Football's Unwritten Rules and Its Ignore-At-Your-Own-Risk Code of Honor