Start by marking “Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor: Icek Kuperberg” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor: Icek Kuperberg

Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor: Icek Kuperberg

Powerful in its stark simple language, Icek Kuperberg chronicles his personal experiences as a concentration camp prisoner during World War II. Interned in various work and death camps, Icek had to use his guile and wits to simply stay alive. That he persevered despite tremendous horrors and obstacles, testifies to his strong will to survive.
Published February 15th 2000 by Universal Publisher/UPUBLISH.COM

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor

Doug DePew
Sep 25, 2013 Doug DePew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book months ago and kept it on my Kindle waiting for a time when I felt prepared to read it. I'm so glad I bought it. "Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor: Icek Kuperberg" is a tremendous addition to the historical record. It was uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time. Mr. Kuperberg is a survivor. Listening to him tell all he went through to make it through the war was extremely moving. To hear the words of a man who survived Auschwitz and Buchenwald with not only his life but ...more
Irina
Jan 11, 2012 Irina added it
I cannot bring myself to put any kind of ratings on this book. It just seems disrespectful. I read it in one sitting. It was absolutely horrific and was basically a series of events during that occurred during Kuperberg's time in various camps. Absolutely brutal and very graphic. This memoir will make you want to hug your kids closer and pray for the survivors. How they managed to survive is beyond me; this is the true measure of human strength. Must read,
Sharon
Mar 14, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: holocaust, kindle
I find it hard to rate any personal account of this kind as I believe that it doesn't really matter about writing style ect as it is a personal account not needing to be judged.

I thought this relatively short memoir to be very simplistic, if not with some emotional detachment which under the circumstances I can understand. This is not a bad thing as I found that I would have no worry about my 12 year old reading it, understanding and not being grossed out by it.

I'd certainly recommend it for a
Jess
Dec 29, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, kindle
A very easy read that evokes so much emotion in a short amount of time. Some of the events this mad went through were so horrific that I had to stop reading. At one point in the book a couple sentances summed up exactly what I was thinking while reading, "No one could understandthe cruelty to which we had been subjected. It is unbelievable how one human being could treat another so cruelly. All this just because we were Jews." I still cannot because to even try to understand how exactly someone ...more
Megan
Mar 07, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Another horrific description of the holocaust, firsthand. Reading the experiences of the author, it is so unbelievable to believe people can treat others so inhumanly.
Gracee
Mar 12, 2011 Gracee rated it liked it
Shelves: own, on-the-kindle
Personal account of Icek Kuperberg's time through the Holocaust, and numerous concentration camps. Much of his focus was on food, and how to beg, borrow, or steal it. Obviously being a survivor of the Holocaust, food became his reason to live, and one of the reasons why he lived. Less focus on "in depth" friendships, (unless they involve "food connections"). Icek fascinatingly does not comment on the presence of a "Higher Being" or the feeling of being abandoned. I suppose if you're forced to ...more
Mom Taxi Julie
Aug 16, 2013 Mom Taxi Julie rated it really liked it
This is obviously a book about the Holocaust. It starts when Irving is young boy of 15 and follows him through about 4 years I think it was of being in concentration camps. Icek was lucky in that he was very skilled at making things so was used as work labor. He was also very smart.

Those things saved his life on more than one account. This was a pretty short book and had a few pictures so you could get a bit of a visual of some people and how things were. It was a good history lesson. It always
Carla JFCL
Aug 30, 2011 Carla JFCL rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book, and I zipped right through it for both that reason and also because it was pretty short. However, it couldn't really be longer I suppose because it was written by someone else (Icek's son) from the memories of Icek. It's narrated in a straightforward, almost detached manner (the reason for this tone is explained by his son in the introduction, and makes sense.) Many of the events related are horrific, but not surprising given what we know about the holocaust. ...more
Lizzie Blueyondercouk
Jul 20, 2011 Lizzie Blueyondercouk rated it really liked it
A very easy book to read, written simply, to the point, being a survivior continually on the move, did not labour on the atrocities too much almost matter of factly, but thats how it was, and he did what ever he could just to get to the next day. A reminder to humanity that these things happened and should never be forgotten..
Brenda Whitner
Feb 10, 2012 Brenda Whitner rated it liked it
Personal account of Icek Kuperberg's visits to many concentration camps. His focus is on food and how he got extra food. He talks about the guards and how horribly they treated the prisoners and himself. This was more of an account than a story. It was a quick read. I finished in a couple of hours. This mans desire to live was amazing. I don’t know if I would have made it.
Ben Ditmars
Sep 25, 2013 Ben Ditmars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the most in depth memoir you can find. It is not the best written. But, Kuperberg offers a unique perspective and composite view of his time in several different concentration camps. If you want to discover what the Holocaust was like across a broad range of territory this book is for you.
Patty Woodruff
Sep 14, 2014 Patty Woodruff rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Abraham Kuperberg for giving us his father's story. But more importantly thanks to Icek Kuperberg for recalling his painful memories in order to share them with the world...so that we never forget.
Jen
Aug 01, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
This is a very short, simple book. It is disturbing and haunting and very to the point. While it gets its point accross, this book really would have benefited from an editor or a co-writer or someone to fill in the gaps. Well worth the read, but could have been better with better guidance.
Devan
Jul 07, 2016 Devan rated it really liked it
This was written with minimal description of his inner struggle. He describes the need to for food, the hunger, and brutality. But he never describes how his inner strength managed, how he survived. A very educational read, and as I always say and believe, each story needs to be heard.
Valerie
Sep 08, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing
A true account of the Holocaust. It is amazing to me how so many people believe the Holocaust never happened. This is a great account of his life!
R
Jan 26, 2011 R rated it liked it
Stark language that needed an editor to help fill in some of the missing connections in the story. Extremely lucky and blessed to have survived.
Kevin Sullivan
Mar 23, 2011 Kevin Sullivan rated it really liked it
Short & very matter of factly written, but quite powerful. Very sad to think humans could be treated in this manner.
Cheryl Mulvey
Cheryl Mulvey rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
norman quigley
norman quigley rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Michelle Ferrier-King
Michelle Ferrier-King rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Pete
Pete rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2012
SUKHJINDER SINGH BAINS
SUKHJINDER SINGH BAINS rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Caz
Caz rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Jamillah Muhammad
Jamillah Muhammad rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
ker thomson
ker thomson rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Rachel Devlin
Rachel Devlin rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
  • Judy: A Dog In A Million
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • Giants: The Dwarfs of Auschwitz
  • The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
  • Motherland: Beyond the Holocaust: A Mother-Daughter Journey to Reclaim the Past
  • Auschwitz and After