Start by marking “Sea of Suspicion (East Coast of Scotland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sea of Suspicion (East Coast of Scotland, #1)

Sea of Suspicion (East Coast of Scotland #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Marine biologist Susie Cooper traded her life in America for a dream job on the rugged Scottish coast. Now all she lacks is the right man to start a family with. After their first meeting, she knows sexy Detective Inspector Nick Archer isn't what she's looking for. He's the type of guy whose idea of commitment is staying the whole night.

Nick has returned to St. Andrews fo

Kindle Edition
Published by Carina Press (first published June 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sea of Suspicion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea of Suspicion

SOS Aloha
Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind. – Shakespeare

St. Andrews is home of an ancient castle, ancient cathedral, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, and historic university. A university from which a royal romance blossomed between Prince William and Catherine Middleton. The same university that facilitates a murder mystery in SEA OF SUSPSICION. Even as the murder of a student unfolds, marine biologist Susie Cooper is attending a dinner party with colleagues where she meets Detective Inspector Ni...more
Saly
So, not for me, I didn't like or believe the romance or find a connection with any of the characters.

The hero was too hung up over his wife who died twelve years ago. She cheated on him and was pregnant with her lover's child (her PH.D adviser) and he had already kicked her out. He became a cop and obsessed with proving the fact that his wife was murdered. He used the heroine as well stealing her key-card to break into the college where her wife's lover worked.

The heroine is pretty messed up as...more
Laurie Wood
Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson
The best thing about this book is not just the well-drawn hero, Det. Insp. Nick Archer, or the heroine, Susie Cooper, a marine biologist, it's the well-drawn setting of St. Andrews, Scotland and the Gatty Marine Lab. It's not often in a romantic suspense you can learn so much about another country, marine biology, and feel you're intensely "in the action".

Toni Anderson has made her setting of St. Andrews the third character in this engaging romantic suspense, her first with Carina Press. I lov...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Toni Anderson is a new author for me and I'm finding that I quite enjoy the style she has in writing. While not perfect I have no real complaints. I think the story flows smoothly and the whodunnit keeps you guessing and the romance has just about the right amount of steam. I recommend to everyone who loves romantic suspense.
Book Utopia
I might not fall head over heels with every Carina title I read, but the vast majority of them have been solidly written and worth what I paid. This one just further cements my growing regard for this publisher.

Marine biologist Susie Cooper has started a new job at the Gatty Marine Lab, eager to make her mark. Her mother is about to seek the presidential nomination back in the US, but Susie has no desire to ride on her famous coattails. Intelligent and resourceful in her own right, she takes a f...more
Anne
Set along the coast of Scotland, Sea of Suspicion is a riveting story of suspense and the depths and heights of human character.

Nick Archer is a driven man. A police detective, he has one thing on his mind – finding the proof he needs to get justice for his murdered wife. Despite the fact that over a decade has passed since her death, he is still relentless in his quest.

Dr. Susie Cooper also has ghosts in her past. Above all, however, she wants a family. She knows she's made mistakes, but she is...more
MostlyDelores
What we have here is a romantic suspense set in a marine biology institute in St. Andrews, Scotland. Should be good, right? Yeah, should be.

She's a marine biologist specializing in Octopi--does that play into the story? No.
Everyone is a diver--any diving in the story? No.
Her mother is a high-powered politician--relevant? Not really.
His wife died twelve years ago--still a sore subject? YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

He's a dick, she's an icicle, they both have secrets, blah, blah, blah.
Everyone at the mari...more
Babs
Aug 11, 2010 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance, Suspense etc
Nick had lost his wife to the sea. She was a good diver, but she was alone and no one knew what happened. Nick thought he knew who he killer was, her boss she had an affair with. Twelve years later Nick is trying to find out just who did kill his wife when another girl at the university was killed. Could the girls be connected some how? Susie is a marine bologist who's mother is a politcian which makes for a fun mother daughter time. She runs into Nick and does not care for him much at all. She...more
Wendy Soliman
I loved Toni's first book and was worried that this one wouldn't live up to expectations. I needn't have concerned myself. If anything it was better. It brought Scotland to life for me and I could feel the conflict, the need for answers, in her hero and heroine. I had one or two tiny issues with the plot, which I won't mention here for fear of spoiling it for the rest of you, but they were very minor. In fact, I'm probably being over-critical.

A fabulous, thoroughly satisfying read that I would r...more
Kate Sherwood
DNF.

Made it to 43%, but I was gritting my teeth most of the way.

Interesting setting, and I would have liked to learn more about octopi.

But the characters are WAY too overwrought - EVERYBODY has a painful backstory, and the two MCs barely seem to be functioning adults, but are somehow successful at their careers and have friends who care for them.

I almost gave up when the heroine flipped out on the hero and said something like 'you don't love me and you'll never love me, because you're still in l...more
Amanda Gill
This is the second book by Anderson I've read and she writes a good contemporary romance. The stories have a nice combination of romance, mystery, and suspense. In Sea of Suspicion our lead female is looking to settle down and start a family even if she has to start one on her own. She finds herself pulled into a decade old conflict between her boss and her new interest Nick. Nick is still trying to prove Jack killed his wife a full decade later and see's Susie as an easy in to get to Jack. The...more
Alicia Dean
Great book. I read Her Sanctuary and immediately became a Toni Anderson fan. Sea of Suspicion didn't disappoint. The setting was authentic and captivating, the love story passionate and emotional, and the suspense riveting and fast-paced. Can't wait to read the next one!
Blackraven's Reviews
4.5 Ravens. Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson is a true on the edge romance suspense that will have you holding your breath because it’s that intense. To read the rest of this review, please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Diana
I liked it more than I expected to and I'm going to buy this author again. I liked the DIFFERENT setting in a Scottish coastal university town. I liked the very literate prose and intelligent mystery. Pleasant discovery.
Susan
Toni writes interesting romantic suspense stories. I really liked her first book "Her Sanctuary" and this was a good follow-up. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books which I just bought for my Kindle.
Angela
I had a bit of a time getting into Sea of Suspicion, one of Carina Press' romantic suspense titles. Toni Anderson did draw me in nicely with the setup: rugged coast of Scotland, marine biologist stumbling across a murder, investigating detective on a quest for vengeance and locked squarely on the biologist heroine's boss as his primary suspect. By and large, it is a decent story. It's just that various aspects of characterization never quite clicked in for me.

Part of this had to do with the obli...more
Elii Vela
La verdad es que este libro me gustó mucho. Fue una lectura muy sencilla, muy rápida de leer y con un ritmo adecuado para ser un thriller.

Me encantó la química existente entre la pareja, aunque ciertamente me hizo falta algo para que terminara de cuajarme el romance. Tal vez, el que ambos tuvieran pasados tormentosos fue de algún modo lo que influyó en el desarrollo de la relación.

Los personajes secundarios, muy en su rol. Muy bien trabajados. Rafa me encantó. Creo que es un personaje al que se...more
Virginia Zsuffa
Interesting dialog romance was fair,the subject material was great.had to keep your full attention to the end.just when you thought you had it oh contraire.

Interesting dialog,romance was fair.the subject material was great had to keep your full attention to the very end.just when you thought you had it oh contraire.should be fun fast reading
Heather L
Feb 12, 2012 Heather L rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of rom suspense
Recommended to Heather L by: Pamela Peddy
Shelves: 2012, romance
Pretty good romantic suspense.

This is the first book I have read from Carina Press, so I do not know if this is typical of the publisher, or if it should be chalked up to author error, but there were several instances in the book where there would be a sudden scene shift from one paragrpah to another. In most books, this would be noted by a couple of lines between paragraphs, but it wasn't here and I found it quite jarring and even disorienting at times, as one sentence you were in the heroine's...more
Leah
mildly sappy and full of cliches, by 80% in I was rolling my eyes at the "twists" and decided both main characters should drown in the sea together. More fun that way. Barely could finish, it went from mildly amusing to outright painful.
Joanna Gawn
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the St. Andrews location, and the characters took up living space in my head. With enough twists and shake-ups for any 'whodunnit' fan, I found this book drew me in and kept me wondering right up until the last few pages. The characters also had enough of a backstory to keep me interested. The writing is well-crafted, and I'll be keeping a lookout for additional books penned by Toni.

I received this book free of charge through Goodreads First Reads.
Snigdha Prakash
A good book....no doubt...
I wouldn't go out of the way and say that it blew me away....no.
But it has certainly got it's own charm which without doubt is captivating...
The mystery....is GOOD. I mean,the whole mystery and clues are right infront of your eyes...and yet you can't see them :-P
I mean at the end,you exclaim, "How the he'll didn't I see it???!!"
Yes....a book worth giving a try....absolutely...
Great job by the author...
Natalie
I like this author's writing style, and I enjoyed the plot. Nick is a guy who became a detective to try and solve a case about who killed his wife. And Susie traded her job in America as a marine biologist for her dream job in Scottland. Needless to say they met while Nick was investagating a murder where she now works.For more you'll have to read the book,and it's worth the time!
Jessica Poole
I enjoyed this book, just as I've enjoyed all of the other Toni Anderson books I've read. This book kept me intrigued from start to finish and threw lots of twists and turns my way. It had all of the qualities of a good read. On to my next Toni Anderson read!
Melissa ownsbey
i thought it was great i look forward to reading more stuff from the aurthor
i thougt the charters were good it kept me gusseing what was goonna happen next
i did not win this book on good reads
Kristine Cassan
Great! I was surprised with the ending...
Maysam
Feb 29, 2012 Maysam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i can't wait to read it
Cait S
Cait S marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Tara Jo
Tara Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Happily Ever Afte...: Another Giveaway 36 23 Feb 05, 2012 12:31PM
  • Reign of the Dead
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Undercover Professor
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Skin (Hot Cops, #2)
  • Sapphire (Facets of Passion #1)
  • Takedown (1 Night Stand, #13)
  • Seduced by a Cajun Werewolf (Stormy Weather, #3)
  • El complot mongol
  • Inked
  • Blue Ice (Ice # 1)
  • If I Fail (A Jake Carrington Mystery #1)
  • Total Abandon
  • The Arrangement (The Russian Guns, #1)
  • Jack Canon's American Destiny
  • The Bittersweet Vine
2820461
Toni Anderson is a New York Times & USA Today best-selling author of Romantic Suspense. A former marine biologist, Anderson travelled the world with her work. After living in six different countries, she finally settled down in the Canadian prairies with her husband and two children. Combining her love of travel with her love of romantic suspense, Anderson writes stories based in some of the p...more
More about Toni Anderson...
Edge of Survival Dark Waters (Vancouver Island - Carver Brothers, #2) Dangerous Waters (Vancouver Island - Carver Brothers, #1) Her Sanctuary (Her, #1) Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)