Start by marking “Mercy (Mercy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercy (Mercy, #1)

Mercy (Mercy #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  5,096 ratings  ·  658 reviews
Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial hosts exiled with fallen angel Lucifer. Now she must atone for taking his side. To find her own way back to heaven, Mercy must help a series of humans in crisis.
Paperback, UK Edition, 288 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published October 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.

Elia Maxwell yes it is very appropriate for young/teen/adult readers but the last book of the series has yet to come out-there is no set publishing date for it…moreyes it is very appropriate for young/teen/adult readers but the last book of the series has yet to come out-there is no set publishing date for it yet---but the rest of the series is intriguing and suspenseful
(less)
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
YA Angels
51st out of 291 books — 1,503 voters
Unearthly by Cynthia HandDelirium by Lauren OliverCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareDivergent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Books I'm going to read
25th out of 775 books — 362 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
I think maybe Jillian’s got a point about these Australian authors. Seriously, what are they putting in the water down there? And where can I buy me some?!

Australian author Rebecca Lim’s novel Mercy is one of the more interesting books I’ve read this year. And at a 111 books and counting, that’s really saying something! Complex, gripping and dark, this novel definitely marks another author to watch out for.

Mercy, as she calls herself, often finds herself in a new place, in a new life, in a new...more
Wendy Darling
What if you were an angel in exile...but you had no memory of why you'd fallen?

Mercy is a fallen angel who repeatedly wakes up in a new body following each time she's helped someone through a personal crisis. She doesn't know why she's doomed to this existence, only that she must somehow try to better that person's life while she's there.

This time, however, she wakes up as a foster child of a deeply troubled family, whose 18-year-old daughter Lauren has been missing for two years. The mystery un...more
Kira
May 06, 2013 Kira marked it as to-read
Shelves: angels-and-demons, ya
The summary for this book terrifies the living bajeesus out of me.
Indie
May 01, 2011 Indie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of paranormal romance, angel books, supernatural books
I loved it!!! At last, a book where the main FEMALE character is tough, strong willed and independent - NOBODY messes with Mercy and gets away with it. She can look after herself, thanks very much!

No spoilers here, but I felt like standing up and cheering when Mercy dishes out her own brand of justice at the end. I was also kept guessing right up to the last moment as to who the "baddie" was.

For those of you who are sick of vampires, werewolves and zombies but like the combination of angels (tou...more
Kristi
Mercy is a promising start of what is sure to be a captivating series.

This book was so.... different. In a good way. There are definitely elements of this story that I loved and other elements that I felt were lacking in one way or another.

I loved the story of Mercy waking up in these various girls' bodies and inhabiting them for short periods of time, not knowing exactly why she's there, but somewhat unseeingly helping them all the same. She feels their presence within the host body, and she k...more
~Tina~
(3.5stars)

Aussie Book challenge 2011 #1

Soul-jacking is something that is necessary rather then natural to Mercy. See she's an on-the-run (so to speak) angel that has to hide in bodies till she can find herself and the boy who captures her dreams; Luc.
Till then however, Mercy has to live the lives of her host bodies but at least she tries to make some good out of them.
This time Mercy has the body of Carmen, who is in a choir group which brings them to a town called Paradise. A mystery unfolds and...more
Lisa O.
2.5 stars and I am pissed.
This book could have been SO much better.

Let's see: the concept is interesting. Mercy is an angel who, for reasons unknown, possesses bodies of women for purposes unknown. That means that all of a sudden she wakes up in a body that is not hers and she has to live with that body for a certain period of time. In this continuous process, she tries to get to Luc, a mysterious man who she seems to want to be with.
When we meet Mercy, she wakes up in the body of Carmen Zappac...more
Melissa
This is how this book made me feel.

Not like I've read a ton of crappy books this year because I've enjoyed most of the books I've read, but this was pretty creative. Different. This is definitely one of my favorite books of the year. I actually haven't read many angel novels, but this series I'm definitely enjoying. I downloaded this for my Kindle for PC. But now I want the actual book for my collection. Just too cool not to have in my bookshelves.

What I really liked about this book was the di...more
Jess
The opening paragraph was interesting enough. It showed that the writing was clear and concise, but sadly, it was followed by this massive info-dump on what the main character looks like, and it turns out that she’s one of those “I’m pretty but I don’t notice it” characters, which makes me groan, since 90% of YA is filled with these characters. Then, she goes on to describe who I can only assume is a potential love interest, because he has far too many far-fetched descriptions like:

“He is tall,...more
Cara
MERCY

Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy this novel at all. I found Lim’s writing style to be quite clunky and the storyline was cliché and unappealing. The idea of Mercy being an exiled celestial has premise, especially with angels being the new vampires, but this fact seems to become lost in the story and besides vague mentions of dream-like encounters with Luc and others, the reader is left more confused than ever. The start of the novel was baffling and the characters like Tiffany and the choirboy...more
Zemira Warner
Aug 25, 2011 Zemira Warner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zemira Warner by: Goodreads people with 5 and 4 Star rating-DAMN YOU!!!
Meh... Mercy wasn't for me.

I don't know what it is. This Mercy chick just got on my nerves a lot. So,she lives (in the body of Carmen-isn't that freaky enough? I mean you snatch someone else's body*shivers*) with these people who's daughter is gone missing two years ago. And she likes the brother-Ryan. I did NOT get why does she like him or he likes her. There were no cute scenes,just a bunch of choir sessions,Ryan and Mercy finding out where the missing sister is. Boring,if you ask me. Um,yeah...more
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Mercy is a fallen angel, though she doesn’t remember much of that time. She did something bad enough to get herself kicked out & she is now inhabiting host bodies with no idea why. She can’t even count the number of times she has woken up in a new body and started a new life. But at night, her dreams of “him” always come, Luc is her beloved & she is trying to find him but has no idea where to start.

This new body is different, she wakes up as Carmen, a talented singer.Mercy/Carmen meets R...more
Leanne Bell
the golden witch.
This book’s blurb grabbed me as soon I found it on goodreads a few months ago, so I knew I just had to read it. Thankfully, netgalley to the rescue once again! An e-galley fell into my lap, and so I happily dug in.

From the first page, this book sunk its claws in and never once let go. Lim has an extraordinary talent of retelling the oldest of tales and making them new again. Girls getting kidnapped combined with an amnesiac angel in a pseudo-war with archangels and her lover, Lucifer? All of thi...more
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Mercy's new body is as unfamiliar as the world around her, but it's the same as it's always been for her. She doesn't quite remember her lives before, but in short instants, she'll have flashes of memories of a past she can't recall. Her new body is a teenage girl with a voice so gorgeous it could make grown men cry, but she's your average, awkward teenager, attempting to meddle through this thing called life while on a music exchange program. The family hosting her is struggling with their own...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Posted on: http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.com/

Mercy is the first book in an new angel series by author Rebecca Lim.

This story follows Mercy, who wakes up on a school bus in another girls body. Mercy calls herself a soul snatcher as she inhabits another person's body until she figures out her mission on earth. As Carmen, Mercy stays with a host family as a part of a choir and soon finds out that their daughter Lauren, has been missing for almost 2 years. Realising what her mission is, Mercy b...more
The Holy Terror
Noooooo. Why? WHY? This one pains me.
Michelle Arrow
After reading this book, I have come to realize that getting book recommendations from people shouldn't be 100% trusted. One of the reasons that I picked up this book was because someone at my local library recommended it to me, having me be a YA reader. I read the summary, trusted her word, and took it out, despite the fact that it kind of reminded me of David Levithan's Every Day. And there you have it, I didn't like this book at all.

"I am my worst enemy; that much I've figured out."

The co...more
Cherith
I found Mercy both intriguing and unique. Granted, I'd never read paranormal or angel teen fiction before, but since I read this book I've read (or rather, I've tried to read) several other such books... This was my favorite, and the only one which compelled me to actually finish the accompanying series.

It's not just a fallen angel story. It's better. Just read it. I think you'll understand.

Questions to consider:

Do we fall in love with a person based on how we see them or on who they are?

If the...more
YA Reads Book Reviews
Originally featured on yareads.com

In amongst the growing number of young adult novels based around angels – particularly the exiled kind, comes Mercy by Rebecca Lim. When there are quite a few books based on a similar topic, it can be hard to stand out from the crowd, or in this case, the bookshelf.

Mercy combines the concept of exiled angels with a forbidden and intriguing romance and adds a twist – a mysterious kidnapping.

When Mercy (in the form of an angelic soul) wakes up on a school bus, now...more
K
On this week’s episode of Quantam Leap, Mercy wakes up as Carmen. The girl is on her way to a two week stay with a host family for a multi-school choir concert. Mercy gets just enough time to figure out her new name before she meets the Daleys, still grieving the two year disappearance of daughter Lauren. She doesn’t know much but decides to help Lauren’s brother Ryan in trying to find the missing girl.

Mercy’s prickly and she doesn’t find a lot to like in anyone. The one person she does like, sh...more
Jessica
When reading this book, I was confused. Very confused. In the book, Mercy doesn't know anything about herself or why her soul jumps from body to body, but that just makes it all more confusing to the readers. Some mysterious lover of her's, Luc who she can only see in dreams, is supposedly the love of her life. Yet when she talks to him in her dreams (which only happened like twice in the entire book yet the summary makes it seem like he should be in the entire book) there is no real connection...more
Tye Cattanach
I will be honest with you, I had low expectations of this book. (Sincere apologies to Rebecca Lim- bear with me)

Having never read any of Rebecca’s other novels, I had no clue what to expect from Mercy. I had preconceived ideas of how this novel might read and evolve, those preconceived ideas coming largely from my exhaustion and frustration with all books that slot into the Supernatural Romance genre these days. You all know my thoughts on the market saturation of this genre, so I will not regal...more
Nafiza
This might just be me but I truly love books that offer something convoluted where the main character is concerned. Not convoluted as in perverse but convoluted as in richly complex where issues of identity are concerned. This complexity inherent in the main character is one of the main reasons that I enjoyed Mistwood so much and it is also one of the main reasons I gave Mercy five stars.

There are two distinct personalities living in one body and though the human personality does not surface at...more
H.Lee
I have mixed feelings about this book. Unfortunately, I wanted to absolutely love it, however, I did not.

Mercy is fallen and she tends to inhabit people's bodies and live their life for them while she is borrowing their "shell" per say. She does not remember whom she has "borrowed" before and does not know where she will go next.

In this book, she is living the life of Carmen whose school choir is getting ready to put on a huge concert that incorporates other schools in the area. While practicing...more
Buffy
Apr 30, 2011 Buffy added it
Shelves: awful-books
This book doesn't deserve a star.

It deserves to be thrown in a recycling bin where we can all gather round and mourn the waste of paper that it was printed on.

It's awful. The characters are bland and...bland. You'd never know that Mercy is an angel unless you read the description of the story in the back of the book. The first 15 pages are her moping and complaining about feeling lost inside the new body that she's soul-napped. I had no idea that Luc (her eternal companion) is supposed to be Lu...more
Mands
Mercy by Rebecca Lim is set in the fictional town of Paradise. Rebecca's an Aussie author and while the book does have a bit of an Aussie feel to it, it's never acknowledged as being the country where the book is set.

Mercy is a fallen angel. She's been exiled from heaven due to an incident but she can't remember what happened. Now she lives on Earth, inhabiting the bodies of humans, she never knows how long she'll be in one body. She'll be living in them, controlling their speech and actions and...more
Katrina
Mercy wakes on a school bus to find herself yet again in another body, unsure of where she is or who she is.. She is bound for a town called Paradise and unsure why. Paradise is a place where everyone knows everyones business or they think they do.
Mercy is an angel, she finds herself being thrown back to earth with no previous memories of who she is or where she has been, on her way to try and find her way back to Heaven after taking Lucifars side and now suffering the consequences.
Mercy now is...more
Tez
Rosa
This review is also published at http://living-for-books.blogspot.com/

After “waking” to the sound of someone shouting, Mercy realises that she is on a bus bound for a small and quiet town called “Paradise”. Self-named, main character Mercy is an angel that has been exiled from heaven for reasons she can’t remember. Every time she “wakes” in a body of a complete stranger, barely remembering any previous memories. The unfortunate “host” person this time is Carmen Zappacosta, a girl that is near t...more
Luc or Ryan? 28 68 Oct 17, 2012 12:16PM
  • Awakened (Prequel, The Guardian Legacy)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Winter's Shadow (Winter Saga, #1)
  • Heavenly (Heavenly, #1)
  • Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Fallen Angel (Fallen Angel, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • Angel Creek
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • In the Arms of Stone Angels
  • Shadows (Dark Touch, #1)
  • Dark Heart Forever (Dark Heart, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling From Grace (Grace, #1)
  • Kindred
Rebecca Lim is a writer and illustrator based in Melbourne, Australia. She worked as a commercial lawyer for several years before leaving to write full time. Rebecca is the author of fifteen books for children and young adult readers and her novels have been translated into German, French, Turkish, Portuguese and Polish.

The Astrologer's Daughter is out now with Text Publishing.
More about Rebecca Lim...
Exile (Mercy, #2) Muse (Mercy, #3) Fury (Mercy, #4) The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7) The Astrologer's Daughter

“My only real solace? Sleep. In the absence of an explanation of anything, for everything, I live for it and what it can bring.” 31 likes
“If I get too comfortable, I will wake one morning and everything around me will have shifted overnight. All I knew? I know no longer. And all I had? Vanished in an instant.
There’s nothing I can keep with me that will stay.
I must always re-establish ties.
I must tread carefulle or give myself away.
I must survive.
I must keep moving, but I don’t know why.”
25 likes