Start by marking “Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces” as Want to Read:
Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

This volume comprises of two collections of instructive essays on physics. Written for a general audience and keeping both technical language and mathematics to a minimum, Feynman introduces the basics of physics, atoms, energy, gravitation, quantum force, and the relationship of physics to other subjects.
Published September 19th 2001 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

Mike Dixon
Aug 27, 2013 Mike Dixon rated it it was amazing
Six Not-So-Easy Pieces.

This book contains transcripts of lectures delivered to first-year science students by the famed physicist, Richard P. Feynman. Its aim is to provide the reader with a basic understanding of the concepts underpinning Einstein's two famous principles of relativity.
I wish such a book had been available when I was a student. It is superb. Reading it again recently, I was delighted to have my mind refreshed by things I had forgotten of never understood properly.
As the title su
May 23, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
This is difficult for me to rate. I'm not by any means fluent with physics. It is a subject I find extremely fascinating and highly intelligent, but I struggle with the concepts, theories, and ideas.
Feynman, however, has a way of describing really difficult concepts in physics in an easy to understand manner and I found myself mostly following along. I have the audio version of this book which was hard to listen to because it was recorded before modern technology improved digital means.
Jul 28, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
I'm done for now. Not nearly finished. I got through six easy pieces quite easily. But as soon as I got into the "not so easy" I became quickly bogged down and have pretty much bogged to a stop. I'll probably pick it up and finally finish in a couple months. For someone who hasn't taken physics since high school it is quite facinating and overal enjoyable. I have learned alot and do regret to be bogged down for now.
Pero Krivić
Aug 08, 2015 Pero Krivić rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All 12 pieces are excerpts from Lectures and can be found as chapters in there. While the 1st 6 pieces tend to cover very basic physics area, the second 6 pieces do the great job in diving in general relativity and space-time concept. Feynman's description of curved space time is the best one for a freshman or physics enthusiast like myself.
Bill Desjardins
Feynman going through more classic problems in physics, these ones a little more advanced than in the previous book of similar design. While reading it on the NY subway on New Year's Day, I looked up and spotted Liv Tyler sitting across from me, being admired and questioned by a couple of riders. Although interesting, I immediately bent my head back down to continue reading Feynman.
Jan 10, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but I imagine it would be a hard slog if you didn't have at least some background in physics. I took physics in high school and in two undergraduate courses, and that seemed to be enough. Relativity is weird, but you can fool yourself into believing that you understand it. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is just insane.
Nikolai Joseph
Jul 18, 2013 Nikolai Joseph rated it it was amazing
Amazingly accessible, given the material. A little patience and dedication bring out the illustrative and humorous way that Feynman shows us the world. Don't get intimidated by the math, he uses it as it should be second nature to all of us.
Nov 08, 2010 Rex rated it really liked it
Feynman is one of the few educators that can make difficult subjects understandable to average students. These lectures bring me oh-so close to understanding many of the things I could not grasp in my college physics classes.
Jun 30, 2012 Jc rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart, but definitely worth the struggle if you are interested in have physics explained by one of the greats and in a manner that is much more understandable than most high school physics teachers.
Marianna Monaco
Jul 14, 2013 Marianna Monaco rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-science
came from the library as a set of both little book and 6 DVDs. The sound quality on the first two are quite bad, but still, great to hear the voice of this icon, explaining physics in simple (relatively) terms.
Jul 06, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Some really hard concepts in physics, clearly explained... at least to the extent possible given the topics.
John Orman
Aug 25, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
Even the "easy pieces" are somewhat obscure and non-trivial. The not-so-easy pieces are quite challenging to read and understand, but worth a try! More insights into the mind of Feynman!
Michael Kosmides
Sep 05, 2013 Michael Kosmides rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic intro to important ideas of modern physics. The Not-So-Easy pieces are not as forbidding as one might think.
Jessica Tjalsma
Jessica Tjalsma rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2007
Seamus Fallows
Seamus Fallows rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Yuvraj rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Peter rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Paul Langley
Paul Langley rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Susan Taylor
Susan Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Ender2007 rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2008
Morto rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Tina Reisdorf
Tina Reisdorf rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Glenn Skene
Glenn Skene rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Adam Hanson
Adam Hanson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2010
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Michael Browning
Michael Browning rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Peter Vanwylen
Peter Vanwylen rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Gregory Foster
Gregory Foster rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Struan_de rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
  • The History of Time: A Very Short Introduction
  • Physics and Beyond: Encounters and Conversations
  • The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)
  • Spacetime Physics
  • Massive: The Missing Particle That Sparked the Greatest Hunt in Science
  • Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe
  • Understanding Thermodynamics
  • Classical Mechanics
  • The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Understanding Physics (Motion, Sound, and Heat / Light, Magnetism, and Electricity / The Electron, Proton, and Neutron)
  • Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Constants of Nature: The Numbers That Encode the Deepest Secrets of the Universe
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex
  • Quintessence: The Mystery of Missing Mass in the Universe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Richard Phillips Feynman was an American physicist known for the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as well as work in particle physics (he proposed the parton model). For his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics, Feynman was a joint recipient of the Nobel Pr ...more
More about Richard Feynman...