Start by marking “Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces” as Want to Read:
Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This volume comprises of two collections of instructive essays on physics. Written for a general audience and keeping both technical language and mathematics to a minimum, Feynman introduces the basics of physics, atoms, energy, gravitation, quantum force, and the relationship of physics to other subjects.
Published September 19th 2001 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces

Mike Dixon
Six Not-So-Easy Pieces.

This book contains transcripts of lectures delivered to first-year science students by the famed physicist, Richard P. Feynman. Its aim is to provide the reader with a basic understanding of the concepts underpinning Einstein's two famous principles of relativity.
I wish such a book had been available when I was a student. It is superb. Reading it again recently, I was delighted to have my mind refreshed by things I had forgotten of never understood properly.
As the title su
I enjoyed this, but I imagine it would be a hard slog if you didn't have at least some background in physics. I took physics in high school and in two undergraduate courses, and that seemed to be enough. Relativity is weird, but you can fool yourself into believing that you understand it. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is just insane.
This is difficult for me to rate. I'm not by any means fluent with physics. It is a subject I find extremely fascinating and highly intelligent, but I struggle with the concepts, theories, and ideas.
Feynman, however, has a way of describing really difficult concepts in physics in an easy to understand manner and I found myself mostly following along. I have the audio version of this book which was hard to listen to because it was recorded before modern technology improved digital means.
I'm done for now. Not nearly finished. I got through six easy pieces quite easily. But as soon as I got into the "not so easy" I became quickly bogged down and have pretty much bogged to a stop. I'll probably pick it up and finally finish in a couple months. For someone who hasn't taken physics since high school it is quite facinating and overal enjoyable. I have learned alot and do regret to be bogged down for now.
Bill Desjardins
Feynman going through more classic problems in physics, these ones a little more advanced than in the previous book of similar design. While reading it on the NY subway on New Year's Day, I looked up and spotted Liv Tyler sitting across from me, being admired and questioned by a couple of riders. Although interesting, I immediately bent my head back down to continue reading Feynman.
Pero Krivić
All 12 pieces are excerpts from Lectures and can be found as chapters in there. While the 1st 6 pieces tend to cover very basic physics area, the second 6 pieces do the great job in diving in general relativity and space-time concept. Feynman's description of curved space time is the best one for a freshman or physics enthusiast like myself.
Ahh, Feynman. You are missed <3
Nikolai Joseph
Amazingly accessible, given the material. A little patience and dedication bring out the illustrative and humorous way that Feynman shows us the world. Don't get intimidated by the math, he uses it as it should be second nature to all of us.
Feynman is one of the few educators that can make difficult subjects understandable to average students. These lectures bring me oh-so close to understanding many of the things I could not grasp in my college physics classes.
Not for the faint of heart, but definitely worth the struggle if you are interested in have physics explained by one of the greats and in a manner that is much more understandable than most high school physics teachers.
Marianna Monaco
came from the library as a set of both little book and 6 DVDs. The sound quality on the first two are quite bad, but still, great to hear the voice of this icon, explaining physics in simple (relatively) terms.
John Orman
Even the "easy pieces" are somewhat obscure and non-trivial. The not-so-easy pieces are quite challenging to read and understand, but worth a try! More insights into the mind of Feynman!
Michael Kosmides
A classic intro to important ideas of modern physics. The Not-So-Easy pieces are not as forbidding as one might think.
Some really hard concepts in physics, clearly explained... at least to the extent possible given the topics.
Solid physics with a sprinkle of math... from the master-communicator.
Weston Mccarron
As usual, Feynman is clear, concise and entertaining.
john steven
thanks, mo. i still have it!
Chris Gardiner
Chris Gardiner marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Peter marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Romy marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
J.A. Cantero
J.A. Cantero marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
M J marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Neseddin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Tikhung marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
  • The History of Time: A Very Short Introduction
  • Spacetime Physics
  • The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)
  • Massive: The Missing Particle That Sparked the Greatest Hunt in Science
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Physics and Beyond: Encounters and Conversations
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Quintessence: The Mystery of Missing Mass in the Universe
  • Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe
  • Understanding Physics (Motion, Sound, and Heat / Light, Magnetism, and Electricity / The Electron, Proton, and Neutron)
  • Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Mr Tompkins in Paperback (Canto)
  • The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • The Universe Is a Green Dragon: A Cosmic Creation Story
Richard Phillips Feynman was an American physicist known for the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as well as work in particle physics (he proposed the parton model). For his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics, Feynman was a joint recipient of the Nobel Pr ...more
More about Richard Feynman...
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character What Do You Care What Other People Think? Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics By Its Most Brilliant Teacher QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman