Start by marking “Swordmage (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swordmage (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #1)

Swordmage (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Discover a whole new realm of adventure!

When a wandering swordmage, trained by the elves of Myth Drannor, returns to his boyhood home on the windswept shores of the Moonsea, he finds that corruption has taken hold, leaving his friends and family open to a devastating evil.

Swordmage was the first novel to fully embrace the exciting new elements from the next edition of the...more
Published January 26th 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published May 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Swordmage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swordmage

James
The first third of this book approached perfection. Amazing verisimilitude swelled every sentence. Baker spared not a paragraph for unimaginative verse. What leapt out was the reality of the characters, more so than any other fantasy book I've read (87 of them and counting). Characters interact as if they weren't expecting every line that comes next, orcs speak to each other in more convincing dialect (somewhat like Klingons), cultural differences between races and regions are contemplated and w...more
Travis
Swordmage by Richard Baker- This is the first book in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy. The second book is Corsair and the last book is called Avenger, which is due out in March of 2010. This trilogy is set in the Forgotten Realm universe. Richard Baker has written numerous novels for the Forgotten Realms and others. Some of his notable works in the Realms include; The Last Mythal trilogy (Forsaken House, Farthest Reach, and Final Gate), The Shadow Stone (part of The Adventures series), Easy Be...more
StrangeBedfellows
As a Drizzt lover, I thought this book would be right up my alley, and perhaps it would be. I'm saddened to say I couldn't finish it. I found the style of writing too forced for me to get into the story. I'm not a minimalist by any means, but I felt the author simply said to much, falling into that precarious trap of telling rather than showing. With too much description and internal dialogue, there's no work for me, as the reader, to do. Which is boring.
Jibran
I'm Done! I have finally finished Swordmage by Richard Baker, the first book in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy...And I'm not sure whether or not I am satisfied with this....But I'll get back to that later.

Now it is time for the review:

Alright, first things first; This is my first legit review of a book here on goodreads, so I'll try to set down some ground rules.

1.) I will try my best not to spoil anything involving the plot.
2.) I don't like summarizing stuff unless asked upon by a curious re...more
Josh O
The book I’m reading is called Swordmage by Richard Baker. The book is about a man named Geran Hulmaster and his companion Hamil, who return to Geran’s hometown, Hulburg, for the funeral of a friend. After investigating his death, they realize he was murdered, and they then search for the killers. They also learn someone has been breaking the law by going out and breaking into tombs. Geran and Hamil find the next tomb that is going to be broken into, and they get in first, grabbing a book. As th...more
Stefan
After reading Richard Baker's contribution to the War of the Spider queen - easily the best book in that series - I picked up this novel with high hopes. Well, it certainly did not disappoint; I read it in one weekend, rapt with the story.

Swordmage follows a member of Hulburg's ruling family on his return to his native town after a ten-year absense, and he finds himself in a city that isn't as he remembered: foreign merchant companies run much of the town with the help of those who strayed from...more
Forgotten Realms Queen
Misleading, incomplete, clumsy, yet oddly satisfying.

When you read the back jacket, it tells you about a Lich called The King in Copper ruling the dead of the barrow fields of the Moonsea town of Hulburg, and how "too many things that should lie dead and buried under stone rise and walk the high fells once their tombs are breached".

From this description one is easily lead to believe that the premise of the book is about a town besieged by the undead and ultimately how they overcome these hordes...more
Donna
Better than average for a D&D book, but it didn't hold my interest all that well and towards the end I found myself skimming. The characters were okay and so was the story, but the plot was fairly straightforward. The protagonist returns home after a long absence, only to find some unwelcome changes. He works to straighten out the town and defend it from external enemies. There are a few exciting scenes and cute references to the 4th ed rules.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to read this sort...more
Maris
They say you can't judge the book by the cover - well - in this case you can. Didn't like the cover of the book - either because of the too crowded use of the fonts or the, surprisingly, not impressive artwork by Raymond Swanland (probably both things being the fault of the layout designer). I am trying to remember why in the first place I bought this book, and can't recall it. probably some good review at goodreads made me think it was something good as I was looking for trilogies to read in Fo...more
Michelle
Difficult to get into at first, which is usual for the FR series, but what really bothered me was that Geran stopped and took a "spell break" sometime in the middle of the book. Not acceptable in a fantasy book. Acceptable in a fantasy game, because it provides a weakness to a fairly powerful character, limiting their abilities and such, but a book? Where they end up spending six hours in a dark tomb because he had to rest so he could memorize the spells? No. Suspension of disbelief just got thr...more
David Tanner
This is the first of the books in the Forgotten Realms series I've read that occurs in the new campaign setting. I'm not a gamer, but I assume that D&D overhauled the whole game to address problems in role-playing game play. The effects to the novels are interesting, but overall, leave me a bit confused and uncertain as a long-time Forgotten Realms reader.

The stage for the changes to this world were set in Thomas Reid's last trilogy: Gossamer Plain, Fractured Sky, and Crystal Mountain, which...more
Julie
This is my first Forgotten Realms book. There were a few things that would normally be dealbreakers for me - orcs, ghosts, lichs, men with pointy beards - but I actually found myself enjoying it, much to my surprise. The plot is thin and very predictable. The characters are stock and highly typical. The villain was uninspired and very one-sided. But, overall it is a fun, adventurous romp. The writing is nothing special, but sufficient. One thing I did like about the story was its scope. The stor...more
Mabz
One of the best books I have read. I am now a fan of you, Richard Baker. I will hold any details of the book to avoid any spoilers and this is my first short review so spare me.

The characters were very well thought out and executed perfectly. Only a few number of authors would make me love the characters that plays their roles in an "unscipted way". The way he tells the story leaves no crack on an unimaginative verse. It was perfect in all sense to say. I also have to applaud the cultural differ...more
Joe
This was no good for me - from one chapter to the next was a jump in exposition and this tortured soul of a main character - I don't care what happens to him - Also, tired of Halfling thieves - When will someone have another purpose for a Halfling, or another type of thief? - and the Orc leader that has human blood, though interesting the linage side, the character is yet another I did not care for - this was just a mish-mash of the stereotypes without any passion or compassion
Anthony
Pretty much just pure escapist reading, not much thought involved/needed. This is the fantasy genre's version of "summer/beach reading." Light and fluffy like meringue. Not bad for gaming fiction either (not sure what constitutes "gaming fiction"? Google it). Am I entirely proud to have read such tripe? No, but sometimes the brain needs a break from heavier reading. And yes, smartasses, there is such a thing as heavy fantasy reading...go away...
David Schwarm
Hola, I finished this book very quickly.

I found it to be an extremely fun read. The fight scenes were great (particularly the battle scenes).

The characters were well defined and I cared about them--mostly the bad guys.

The story, though fairly obvious, was not overly predictable or tired.

The presented Realm lore was subtle and enjoyable.

I am really looking foreword to reading the rest of this series. Thanks, David S.
Dan
The book was decently written, with some characters that became quite endearing, but despite the "troubled background" that they give Geran Hulmaster, he's very predictable, and too one dimensional. The story tends to also become a little easy to forsee, but the descriptions were delightful and vivid, and the fight scenes were quick paced and fun. It was a good read, but it wasn't fantastic. 3/5
Grant
The plot was kind of standard but I actually really enjoyed the setting of Hulburg, and the characters were likable enough. The main character's faults and backstory are what really make the book interesting. It's also got some pretty okay action scenes in it.

All in all it's a nice fantasy adventure.
Pedro
IT's great. the characters are great, the enemies fought, the intrigue. It's amazing how the swordmage character is depicted, but I think geran also has a level or two in wizard or sorcerer lol Or a basic understanding. Very fun to read and exciting.
Robert Carlberg
Enjoyed this book a lot. It seemed a bit better than most of the stuff I had been reading from Forgotten Realms for awhile. Great characters, and really liked how everything seemed to move quickly. Can't wait to read the next two.
Greg
This book was decent. It started off really slow but picked up steam as I got further into the story. I think I would have liked more action throughout the book instead of it all being in the last 50-75 pages of the book.
Matt
Brian is running a Forgotten Realms campaign for our D&D group, so I figured I'd read this book for some background flavor. Haven't read any FR novels in 10 years (I read a LOT of them!)
Michael
This book is a quick read as many Wizards books are, but the hero is interesting if not a little over the top at times, and the magic and battles are written well. All in all, I liked it.
Bradley Convissar
Good beginning to a trilogy- kind of disappointed that Wizards of the Coast decided to jump 100 years later after the Spellplague for their first trilogy after the event
Aremoris Shayde
Baker places vivid detail and glorious story into this work that I couldn't put it down. Literally couldn't put the damn thing down I loved it so much.
Jevhad
Great book. I really liked Baker's style and characters in this first novel. The second and third parts not so much, but it was still a good read.
Geir
Some fairly good clean fun action sequences, though I found the intrigues and dialogue in between them rather shallow. Will read the sequels.
Amy Campbell
Great book if you like d & d type stories. Great characters. I can't wait to read the second one.
Jessie B.
A fun book that had likeable characters and enough plot to keep things interesting.
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
  • Plague Of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)
  • The Crystal Mountain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #3)
  • Ghostwalker (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #2)
  • The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #3)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
  • Realms of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #13)
  • Whisper of Waves (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #1)
  • The Sword Never Sleeps (Knights of Myth Drannor #3)
  • Queen of the Depths (Forgotten Realms: The Priests, #4)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • Son of Thunder (Forgotten Realms: The Fighters, #3)
Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3) Forsaken House (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #1) Final Gate (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #3) Farthest Reach (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #2) Player's Guide to Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)