Start by marking “Jungle Heat” as Want to Read:
Jungle Heat

Jungle Heat

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Congo Free State, 1888

On a mission deep in the jungle, Oxford anthropologist James Litchfield comes face-to-face with a local legend: a wild man who wanders with mountain gorillas and lives as one of their own.

The chance encounter with the savage, whom James calls Michael, leads to a game of observation and exploration. Their mutual curiosity turns to an attraction—one tha
Published June 2010 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Heat

SheReadsALot

MM version of a Tarzan tale?

Bonnie Dee tells a remarkable, well researched and thought out tale of angst and primal needs. Odd One has been raised by gorillas for most of his life, not knowing what he was but just that he was different. Until a group of anthropologists make camp close by in his African jungle home. He saves one of the anthropologists from a leopard attack and his life will be forever changed.

The anthropologist Odd One saves ends up becoming Odd One's teacher of all things human.
Janna
This review was originally posted at my blog.

Genre & Keywords:
M/M, Historical Romance, Expedition, Anthropology, Savage, Africa/London/Scotland

Why I read it:
I received an ARC from the Publisher, through NetGalley

Storyline:
While on an anthropological expedition in the jungle of Africa, James is saved from a leopard by a savage man. The man turns out to be living among the mountain gorillas. James succeeds in winning his trust and calls him Michael. They develop a friendship and explore the
Eli Easton
I've always found the Tarzan story really sexy. I loved the film version with Andie McDowell. When I saw that Bonnie Dee had written a m/m version of the story, it went right to the top of my TBR pile.

This was a tough nut to crack, because not only do you have the regular story (British explorers discover a man raised by apes and take him back to England as a sort of oddity attraction), but you have the complication of a gay relationship in a time when it was illegal and unthinkable in England.
ElaineY
3.5 stars, I think. While I'd always fantasized what a remake of Tarzan would be (and a gay version once I discovered M/M romances 2 years ago) I realized, as I read this book, that this kept pulling me out of the story: Tarzan's, or in this case Michael's language. However, I accepted that to describe words like "cum" the way an ape-man would- perhaps using descriptive phrases to communicate ape-man thought would make the book unreadable.

Small matter, I suppose, but I did stop several times to
Kelster
3.5 stars. I liked the story and was immediately captivated by the time spent in the jungle. I was emotionally invested and pissed that people saw one character as property. Michael was absolutely awesome.
Margaret Foxe
Recommended highly. Fabulous retelling of the Tarzan story. Remember that Tarzan movie with Christopher Lambert? It used to get me so hot and bothered, with him strutting around the ancestral estate half-tamed and looking for love. Well, this novella tipped me over the edge into swoon territory. A m/m Tarzan? Sexual awakenings in the jungle? Hot, forbidden man sex? A fairy tale ending? Please, can I have some more? Bonnie Dee always writes deeply moving and very thought provoking romance. Thorou ...more
Alicia

I loved this remake of the Tarzan story. I've always been fascinated by the idea of a human being raised by animals in the wild, then finding himself thrust back into so-called polite society.

The author did a great job of conveying Michael's life in the wild jungles of Africa, his life with the apes, and how he comes to interact with the other MC James. I loved the parts of the story that were told from his POV. He was a very sympathetic character and I totally wanted him to win against all of
Ann
This was a great book to listen to. An awesome narrator with the perfect British accent and great voices plus not too many characters that it got jumbled when I couldn't listen for a few days.
Daanquai
Have I mentioned before how much I love Bonnie Dee's books?? This one was a little different, a different take on the story of Tarzan, a little boy raised by apes.

This book wasn't too terribly long (about 150 pdf pages) but I was really impressed with how the author was able to make it read like it was much longer. She was able to pack quite a story in there. The first part of the book finds James in the wilds of Africa with his expedition group, where he meets Odd One (later called Michael). Th
Shelby P
This was a great story. It kept me on pins and needles. It had hot jungle sex; sexual tension off the charts, intrigue, and humor. I love how James referred to Odd One as Jungle Joe, Jungle Jasper, Jungle Jerry, Jungle Jake, and Jungle John before settling on Ranger and finally Michael. Too funny.

This story highlights how some men can be cruel to things they don't understand. I detested Smythe. Rutherford was interesting. I like that he wasn't completely evil. My heart ached for all the times Mi
Lily Lamb
OMG!!! By the time I finished this story, I found myself very emotional wiping the tears off my eyes. I found this story;
incredibly sensuous
action packed
very sad at times
deeply emotional

I loved this story because it was about love and standing by your loved one no matter what...Both heroes were lovable but my heart ached a lot for Michael. He was my ultimate wounded hero with the most lovable nature and strength.
This story was like watching a movie for me....It reminded me of everyone's very fav
Karen Wellsbury
Maybe I'm just getting picky ? I'm not sure.

The story has potential, for all the it's daft Tarzan has a certain charm,and we're all familiar with it. But, for me, this just wasn't a an enjoyable book.

The relationship was lacking in chemistry, and any real depth of feeling. The historical element was dull.

Not for me
Tamela
The Tarzan story, from the first time I watched Johnny Weismueller swing through the jungle, has been one of my favorites. I've read many versions and of course viewed the many movie adaptations.

I totally loved this one. James and Michael growing together and soon falling in love while dealing with all the problems intrinsic to the time period as well as the greed and villainy of those around them.

I liked that Michael did not turn out to be a long lost son of an Earl or Duke and was able to fina
Katie(babs)
James Litchfield is an Oxford anthropologist who has traveled all the way from England to the Congo to find a life-altering discovery. James is both excited and nervous because the jungle is filled with strange animals and wild beasts that could tear him apart if he doesn't keep his wits about him. As he and one of the professors from his group are off investigating the land, they are almost attacked by a jaguar. Before the jungle cat can harm them, a naked man covered in mud from head to toe sa ...more
Erastes
“A re-imagining of the Tarzan legend” pretty much leaves you in no doubt as to what to expect with this book, and if you keep that in mind throughout, then you won’t be disappointed, because that’s exactly what it is for most of the book.

That’s not to say it’s not entertaining, because it is, it’s just that if you already know the Tarzan story–and few don’t I’d imagine–then there won’t be much here to surprise you.

However! I’d certainly advise you to give it a go because I found it immensely ent
thelastaerie
Really enjoyed this "gay Tarzan" story. I've enjoyed other books by Bonnie Dee and this new one from the just launched "Carina Press" surely made a good start.

Like a classic adventure romance, Jungle Heat is packed with angst, heartbreaks, tenderness, great villains and heroes for readers to immersed in.

the plot is really quite similar to the Tarzan story we've all heard before. A child being raised by the gorillas in deep jungle in Africa, he saved an academic Englishman one day, a friendship
Kade Boehme
He was a man. He was Michael.

Fabulous.
Kate McMurray
This was a stay-up-until-2am-to-finish book because I had to know how things worked out for the characters. There are some tiny flaws (historical inaccuracies and also Michael is way too competent at everything) but I found it to be a fun, fantasy adventure with a lot of delicious tension (sexual tension between Michael and James; tension between James and, well, everyone; tension in the plot).
Jessie Potts
So I was watching Tarzan and suddenly wanted to read a m/m Tarzan (thank god there is one)

This was exactly what I was looking for though I have to admit a part of me wanted James to say in the jungle and be his Jane :-)

Overall it was fun and heartbreaking then loving
Amy
Sep 02, 2014 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, glbtq
I don't mind the fact that this is a retelling and that the story has been done before. What I do mind is that this is such a missed opportunity to be creative.

I liked the characters well enough at the start, but then the story started dragging along. It should have ended half a book ago. Everything from when they boarded the boat felt pointless and I stopped caring about the characters.

I was told about Michael's growth with his speech, but didn't see it. The scenes would have been so much more
Danyele Johnson

My reaction:
description

I couldn't get enough of this book :D
Bo
Me Michael, You James

As she did with Peter & Wendell (aka Loving Peter), Bonnie Dee has taken an English literature classic and turned it on its head to look at it from a gay point0of-view. In Peter & Wendell, she gave us a rakish, free-spirited Peter Pan and a somewhat reclusive, shy, and ultimately willing Wendy.

In Jungle Heat, we've got Tarzan meets Jane. And it's a heck of a meeting and a jungle full of heat and danger and intrigue and Victorian stupidity and even some evil thrown i
Anne-Marie

I thoroughly enjoyed this m/m version of a Tarzan-inspired tale. Bonnie Dee did a pretty good job of creating her own Tarzan. Michael is extremely likeable, and his reactions to encountering man for the first time (and second and third time..etc) were convincing, even though it's a bit of a conundrum to read his POV. How can someone who has not learned a human language have thoughts? It would be more a matter of sensations and instinctual responses, and BD does find ways to successfully
Megan L Harnett
James is a anthropologist who is a trip to study the local tribes of the Congo. While on his adventure he stubles upon a man who has been living in the jungle all by himself. The legends of him is that he was raised by apes since he was a child. James is curious about the man and the ape man is curious about him. Together they start interacting and James teaches the ape man, who he names Michael how to speak and read. While they are teaching each other the other men of Jame's expedition find out ...more
Leslie
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
I was dissappointed with this one. I guess I expected too much of it. I mean, an m/m version of Tarzan? Sounded crazy intriguing. Alas, the book felt shallow, almost more like the screenplay for a movie than an actual book. The characters were...stereotypical, sort of card-board cutouts with no real...well, qualities to make them unique or interesting. Michael is exactly what you expect him to be: a man who talks in grunts and acts like an ape. James was just, well, nice. That's basically it. Th ...more
Jody
Jungle Heat is an intriguing take on the Tarzan myth that brings out surprising depth from its characters and makes for a pleasant read that I was sad to see come to an end. Along with a satisfying storyline comes lifelike descriptions. Those of the jungle are so vivid that you can practically feel the humidity as are the images of London and its chaos. These images draw you into the story and give an interesting perspective on what Michael is going through as he transitions to modern civilizati ...more
cecily
It wasn't like this book was so enthralling that I couldn't put it down but I was none the less almost hypnotized by the writing of this book. It was very subtle but the themes were brought to our attention by the fantastic characterization of Michael and James. The whole idea of love transcending cultural and linguistic barriers is terribly romantic and I do believe that I liked the idea itself half as much as I like the story Jungle Heat by Bonnie Dee which about that very thing. This book is ...more
Tara
It was a good "read". The story was an old one done in a new way. I connected with Michael and James, and was rooting for their happiness. The lovemaking scenes were far fetched, and we are talking about someone who is "wild" and I didnt expect him to know how to be tender or e even worried about it from the get go. But its a story, and many rules can be bent! All in all, I was very satisfied!
MountainKat
*Maybe 3+ Stars*

Nice enough story, but it didn't really grab me. And parts of it felt off. Still it seemed fitting for the era it was set in, I just wish I had connected with it more.

I listened to the audio of this book and thought the narrator, Philip Rose, was quite good. His voice easy to listen to and again seemed to fit the era.
  • Thief (Brook Street, #1)
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Lion and the Crow
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • The Lion of Kent
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

Writing childish stories for my own pleasure led to majoring in English at college. Like most English majors, I dreamed of writing a novel, but at that time in my life didn't have the
More about Bonnie Dee...
Bone Deep The Gentleman and the Rogue After the End Seducing Stephen A Hearing Heart