Start by marking “Jungle Heat” as Want to Read:
Jungle Heat

Jungle Heat

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Congo Free State, 1888

On a mission deep in the jungle, Oxford anthropologist James Litchfield comes face-to-face with a local legend: a wild man who wanders with mountain gorillas and lives as one of their own.

The chance encounter with the savage, whom James calls Michael, leads to a game of observation and exploration. Their mutual curiosity turns to an attraction—one tha
Published June 2010 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Heat

SheReadsALot

MM version of a Tarzan tale?

Bonnie Dee tells a remarkable, well researched and thought out tale of angst and primal needs. Odd One has been raised by gorillas for most of his life, not knowing what he was but just that he was different. Until a group of anthropologists make camp close by in his African jungle home. He saves one of the anthropologists from a leopard attack and his life will be forever changed.

The anthropologist Odd One saves ends up becoming Odd One's teacher of all things human.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Poignant, heartwrenching, and thought provoking.

"Civilized" men take a human raised by apes and turn him into a sideshow freak. The Odd One is christened Michael by James, the man who found him, the man whose life Michael saved.

This book takes Michael on a terrifying journey from the jungles of Africa to late 19th century London, where he becomes a pawn in a game of greed and power.

Michael only wants James. James is Michael's mate. But James keeps telling him, "Man and man not good. Secr
Nick Pageant
Jan 18, 2016 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it
Shelves: alona-books, m-m
"I met you on somebody's island
You thought you had known me before
I brought you a crate of papaya
Then waited all night by your door
You probably wouldn't remember
I probably couldn't forget
Jungle love in the surf in the pouring rain
Everything's better when wet"
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Audiobook review*

I am LITERALLY the only person out of all my friends to not love this book, so please feel free to ignore me. However, there is no way around it... this book made me really uncomfortable. I've read a few slave/captor type fics, and I tend to enjoy them in a sci-fi setting. However, in a historical setting, I read most of this story feeling disturbed.

This is a retelling of the Tarzan story, where Tarzan is a Caucasian boy raised in the jungles of Africa by a family of apes and
Ingela
Written December 31, 2015

4 Stars - Adorable characters, a well done Tarzan re-tale and a good audio listening

Jungle Heat is a M/M re-tale of the old famous Tarzan of the Apes story by Edgar Rice Burroughs (from 1912). This time told by Bonnie Dee who writes a lot of nice historical M/M romances I usually like. — As this one.

~ 4 stars and Happy New Years cheers!!!

I truly enjoyed this 9 hrs audiobook (very well narrated by Philip Rose). Recommended listening for all fans of hot jungle m
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Reimagined from the classic Tarzan and Jane romance, this nice m/m featuring primitive Michael and the scholar James who discovers him, was really quite enjoyable.

This had a little bit of everything - initial jungle adventure, steamy sexual awakening, and apt angst. Throw in a self serving benefactor and academics fighting for the right to study such a scientific wonder, and you've got a story with some interesting plot points.

The interactions between James and Michael were well portr
Ele
Jan 30, 2016 Ele rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ele by: * N aka Nikki
Shelves: historicals
**4.5 stars**

"He was no longer alone, no longer Odd One. He had family, a mate and a place where he belonged.

He was a man. He was Michael.

Magnificent. Absolutely fantastic and, probably, my favorite by the author. Read it!

Chelsea
PERFRCTION!!

Absolutely loved this book! James and Michael were amazing, I adored their characters and their love story!

The narration was SUPERB, Phillip's voice for Michael was spot on! Absolutely perfect!

Highly highly recommend this audio book!
MishyJo
Jan 17, 2016 MishyJo rated it really liked it
4.25 jungle love stars

This was such a nice departure from the standard MM read. I thought that Michael's sexual innocence would make the sex seem kinda of skeevy but that problem was easily solved by (view spoiler) of the pair. The social and language barriers and James's efforts to conform to social norms in light of those barriers, while still being a good partner to Michael, made for a very interesting read.
Elsbeth

description - Narrator: Philip Rose

*3,5 Me-Tarzan-You-James stars*

Very nice Tarzan re-tale but now in MM version. I enjoyed the Brittish narrating.
The audio was a bit too long for my liking, so I read the last 25%.

In the jungle, he’d lived in the moment, passing through one day and the next without an idea of a future. Now he saw many days stretched out ahead of him, all of them spent with James.

But being human had taught him that having something he cared about meant he had something to lose. Perhaps be
Janna
This review was originally posted at my blog.

Genre & Keywords:
M/M, Historical Romance, Expedition, Anthropology, Savage, Africa/London/Scotland

Why I read it:
I received an ARC from the Publisher, through NetGalley

Storyline:
While on an anthropological expedition in the jungle of Africa, James is saved from a leopard by a savage man. The man turns out to be living among the mountain gorillas. James succeeds in winning his trust and calls him Michael. They develop a friendship and explore the
Eli Easton
Jan 01, 2014 Eli Easton rated it really liked it
Shelves: recd_years_best
I've always found the Tarzan story really sexy. I loved the film version with Andie McDowell. When I saw that Bonnie Dee had written a m/m version of the story, it went right to the top of my TBR pile.

This was a tough nut to crack, because not only do you have the regular story (British explorers discover a man raised by apes and take him back to England as a sort of oddity attraction), but you have the complication of a gay relationship in a time when it was illegal and unthinkable in England.
Alona
Jan 18, 2016 Alona rated it really liked it
Shelves: br-with-nick
I truly enjoyed this fun yet touching story.
It's impossible not to fall in love with Michael.
The combination of his physical strength and the life he lived for years among the apes, with his naïveté, his child-like behaviors, is absolutely adorable!

My only "problem" was the somewhat rushed ending.
Tess
Feb 25, 2016 Tess rated it it was amazing

Loved it!! Lush historical with a beautiful love story of two men who are true soul mates. This seemed to be so much more than just an m/m Tarzan. It was exotic, fascinating and gripping yet with a tender and sensual romance. The hard-earned HEA was perfect. Very much recommended for any fan of historical m/m romance!
Kael
Mar 22, 2016 Kael rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING!!!!!! I absolutely ADORED this book and definitely didn't want it to end. I want more!! I give this ALL the stars ... way WAYYY more than just 5!!!
* N aka Nikki
Jan 14, 2016 * N aka Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shannon Gorilla McGee Winston
4.5 STARS****This was exactly what I was wanting to read exactly when I wanted to read it.

I think I'm in love with Bonnie Dee's historical M/M books. True, I've only read 2 (This one and The Tutor by Bonnie Dee) but that's 2-for-2, which definitely gets me to one-click more.

This wasn't a perfect read, but it was hitting my sweet spots, fulfilling a need for forbidden/taboo/dangerous/fun reading without heading into any icky territory that would make me feel like a pervert. I think the reason this sort of sexual rela
Milica
Feb 29, 2016 Milica rated it it was ok
This novel is sweet, romantic and everything that the other reviewers have already said about it, but I couldn't get past the way author chose to write Michael's POV.

Although thinking is possible without words (as shown in form of pictures on the walls of caves) which was the case with primitive people, author went too far here. Even if we assume that Micheal has spent his childhood with his parents, he couldn't speak and from his very poor memories of his parents I'd say he has been living wit
ElaineY
Jul 18, 2010 ElaineY rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, I think. While I'd always fantasized what a remake of Tarzan would be (and a gay version once I discovered M/M romances 2 years ago) I realized, as I read this book, that this kept pulling me out of the story: Tarzan's, or in this case Michael's language. However, I accepted that to describe words like "cum" the way an ape-man would- perhaps using descriptive phrases to communicate ape-man thought would make the book unreadable.

Small matter, I suppose, but I did stop several times to
Alicia J
Oct 27, 2014 Alicia J rated it really liked it

I loved this remake of the Tarzan story. I've always been fascinated by the idea of a human being raised by animals in the wild, then finding himself thrust back into so-called polite society.

The author did a great job of conveying Michael's life in the wild jungles of Africa, his life with the apes, and how he comes to interact with the other MC James. I loved the parts of the story that were told from his POV. He was a very sympathetic character and I totally wanted him to win against all of
Shelby P
Mar 08, 2015 Shelby P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, historical
This was a great story. It kept me on pins and needles. It had hot jungle sex; sexual tension off the charts, intrigue, and humor. I love how James referred to Odd One as Jungle Joe, Jungle Jasper, Jungle Jerry, Jungle Jake, and Jungle John before settling on Ranger and finally Michael. Too funny.

This story highlights how some men can be cruel to things they don't understand. I detested Smythe. Rutherford was interesting. I like that he wasn't completely evil. My heart ached for all the times Mi
Margaret Foxe
Recommended highly. Fabulous retelling of the Tarzan story. Remember that Tarzan movie with Christopher Lambert? It used to get me so hot and bothered, with him strutting around the ancestral estate half-tamed and looking for love. Well, this novella tipped me over the edge into swoon territory. A m/m Tarzan? Sexual awakenings in the jungle? Hot, forbidden man sex? A fairy tale ending? Please, can I have some more? Bonnie Dee always writes deeply moving and very thought provoking romance. Thorou ...more
Ann
Aug 17, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, historical
This was a great book to listen to. An awesome narrator with the perfect British accent and great voices plus not too many characters that it got jumbled when I couldn't listen for a few days.
Kade Boehme
Mar 12, 2015 Kade Boehme rated it it was amazing
He was a man. He was Michael.

Fabulous.
Kelster
Mar 31, 2013 Kelster rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-to-z
3.5 stars. I liked the story and was immediately captivated by the time spent in the jungle. I was emotionally invested and pissed that people saw one character as property. Michael was absolutely awesome.
Susan
Jul 03, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
OMG, I LOVED this! I'm pretty new to the M/M romance genre and this is one of the novels that manages to rise above what I've unhappily found to be very poor quality writing and awful plots and lack of character development. This is the kind of book that keeps me from giving up on the genre.

I was really impressed with the handling of the Tarzan twist. It was handled a lot more believably than I expected. I mean, it's still fantasy, but there was no Disney musical scene where he goes from ape ma
Daanquai
Jul 13, 2011 Daanquai rated it really liked it
Have I mentioned before how much I love Bonnie Dee's books?? This one was a little different, a different take on the story of Tarzan, a little boy raised by apes.

This book wasn't too terribly long (about 150 pdf pages) but I was really impressed with how the author was able to make it read like it was much longer. She was able to pack quite a story in there. The first part of the book finds James in the wilds of Africa with his expedition group, where he meets Odd One (later called Michael). Th
Kate McMurray
Aug 12, 2010 Kate McMurray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance
This was a stay-up-until-2am-to-finish book because I had to know how things worked out for the characters. There are some tiny flaws (historical inaccuracies and also Michael is way too competent at everything) but I found it to be a fun, fantasy adventure with a lot of delicious tension (sexual tension between Michael and James; tension between James and, well, everyone; tension in the plot).
Anne-Marie
May 21, 2015 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance

I thoroughly enjoyed this m/m version of a Tarzan-inspired tale. Bonnie Dee did a pretty good job of creating her own Tarzan. Michael is extremely likeable, and his reactions to encountering man for the first time (and second and third time..etc) were convincing, even though it's a bit of a conundrum to read his POV. How can someone who has not learned a human language have thoughts? It would be more a matter of sensations and instinctual responses, and BD does find ways to successfully
Tamela
The Tarzan story, from the first time I watched Johnny Weismueller swing through the jungle, has been one of my favorites. I've read many versions and of course viewed the many movie adaptations.

I totally loved this one. James and Michael growing together and soon falling in love while dealing with all the problems intrinsic to the time period as well as the greed and villainy of those around them.

I liked that Michael did not turn out to be a long lost son of an Earl or Duke and was able to fina
  • My True Love Gave to Me (Brook Street, #0.5)
  • A Promise of Tomorrow
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Duet
  • Island of Icarus
  • Stealing West
  • The Station
  • The Lion of Kent
  • Checkmate
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

I enjoy dabbling in many genres. Whether you're a fan of contemporary historical or fantasy romance, you'll find something to enjoy among my books. I'm interested in flawed, often dama
More about Bonnie Dee...