Start by marking “Jungle Heat” as Want to Read:
Jungle Heat

Jungle Heat

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Congo Free State, 1888

On a mission deep in the jungle, Oxford anthropologist James Litchfield comes face-to-face with a local legend: a wild man who wanders with mountain gorillas and lives as one of their own.

The chance encounter with the savage, whom James calls Michael, leads to a game of observation and exploration. Their mutual curiosity turns to an attraction—one tha...more
Published June 2010 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Heat

SheReadsALot

MM version of a Tarzan tale?

Bonnie Dee tells a remarkable, well researched and thought out tale of angst and primal needs. Odd One has been raised by gorillas for most of his life, not knowing what he was but just that he was different. Until a group of anthropologists make camp close by in his African jungle home. He saves one of the anthropologists from a leopard attack and his life will be forever changed.

The anthropologist Odd One saves ends up becoming Odd One's teacher of all things human....more
Janna
This review was originally posted at my blog.

Genre & Keywords:
M/M, Historical Romance, Expedition, Anthropology, Savage, Africa/London/Scotland

Why I read it:
I received an ARC from the Publisher, through NetGalley

Storyline:
While on an anthropological expedition in the jungle of Africa, James is saved from a leopard by a savage man. The man turns out to be living among the mountain gorillas. James succeeds in winning his trust and calls him Michael. They develop a friendship and explore the...more
ElaineY
3.5 stars, I think. While I'd always fantasized what a remake of Tarzan would be (and a gay version once I discovered M/M romances 2 years ago) I realized, as I read this book, that this kept pulling me out of the story: Tarzan's, or in this case Michael's language. However, I accepted that to describe words like "cum" the way an ape-man would- perhaps using descriptive phrases to communicate ape-man thought would make the book unreadable.

Small matter, I suppose, but I did stop several times to...more
Eli Easton
I've always found the Tarzan story really sexy. I loved the film version with Andie McDowell. When I saw that Bonnie Dee had written a m/m version of the story, it went right to the top of my TBR pile.

This was a tough nut to crack, because not only do you have the regular story (British explorers discover a man raised by apes and take him back to England as a sort of oddity attraction), but you have the complication of a gay relationship in a time when it was illegal and unthinkable in England....more
Kelster
3.5 stars. I liked the story and was immediately captivated by the time spent in the jungle. I was emotionally invested and pissed that people saw one character as property. Michael was absolutely awesome.
Margaret Foxe
Recommended highly. Fabulous retelling of the Tarzan story. Remember that Tarzan movie with Christopher Lambert? It used to get me so hot and bothered, with him strutting around the ancestral estate half-tamed and looking for love. Well, this novella tipped me over the edge into swoon territory. A m/m Tarzan? Sexual awakenings in the jungle? Hot, forbidden man sex? A fairy tale ending? Please, can I have some more? Bonnie Dee always writes deeply moving and very thought provoking romance. Thorou...more
Daanquai
Have I mentioned before how much I love Bonnie Dee's books?? This one was a little different, a different take on the story of Tarzan, a little boy raised by apes.

This book wasn't too terribly long (about 150 pdf pages) but I was really impressed with how the author was able to make it read like it was much longer. She was able to pack quite a story in there. The first part of the book finds James in the wilds of Africa with his expedition group, where he meets Odd One (later called Michael). Th...more
Lily Pilly
OMG!!! By the time I finished this story, I found myself very emotional wiping the tears off my eyes. I found this story;
incredibly sensuous
action packed
very sad at times
deeply emotional

I loved this story because it was about love and standing by your loved one no matter what...Both heroes were lovable but my heart ached a lot for Michael. He was my ultimate wounded hero with the most lovable nature and strength.
This story was like watching a movie for me....It reminded me of everyone's very fav...more
Ann
This was a great book to listen to. An awesome narrator with the perfect British accent and great voices plus not too many characters that it got jumbled when I couldn't listen for a few days.
Tamela
The Tarzan story, from the first time I watched Johnny Weismueller swing through the jungle, has been one of my favorites. I've read many versions and of course viewed the many movie adaptations.

I totally loved this one. James and Michael growing together and soon falling in love while dealing with all the problems intrinsic to the time period as well as the greed and villainy of those around them.

I liked that Michael did not turn out to be a long lost son of an Earl or Duke and was able to fina...more
Katie(babs)
James Litchfield is an Oxford anthropologist who has traveled all the way from England to the Congo to find a life-altering discovery. James is both excited and nervous because the jungle is filled with strange animals and wild beasts that could tear him apart if he doesn't keep his wits about him. As he and one of the professors from his group are off investigating the land, they are almost attacked by a jaguar. Before the jungle cat can harm them, a naked man covered in mud from head to toe sa...more
Erastes
“A re-imagining of the Tarzan legend” pretty much leaves you in no doubt as to what to expect with this book, and if you keep that in mind throughout, then you won’t be disappointed, because that’s exactly what it is for most of the book.

That’s not to say it’s not entertaining, because it is, it’s just that if you already know the Tarzan story–and few don’t I’d imagine–then there won’t be much here to surprise you.

However! I’d certainly advise you to give it a go because I found it immensely ent...more
thelastaerie
Really enjoyed this "gay Tarzan" story. I've enjoyed other books by Bonnie Dee and this new one from the just launched "Carina Press" surely made a good start.

Like a classic adventure romance, Jungle Heat is packed with angst, heartbreaks, tenderness, great villains and heroes for readers to immersed in.

the plot is really quite similar to the Tarzan story we've all heard before. A child being raised by the gorillas in deep jungle in Africa, he saved an academic Englishman one day, a friendship...more
Karen Wellsbury
Maybe I'm just getting picky ? I'm not sure.

The story has potential, for all the it's daft Tarzan has a certain charm,and we're all familiar with it. But, for me, this just wasn't a an enjoyable book.

The relationship was lacking in chemistry, and any real depth of feeling. The historical element was dull.

Not for me
Jessie Potts
So I was watching Tarzan and suddenly wanted to read a m/m Tarzan (thank god there is one)

This was exactly what I was looking for though I have to admit a part of me wanted James to say in the jungle and be his Jane :-)

Overall it was fun and heartbreaking then loving
Shelby P
This was a great story. It kept me on pins and needles. It had hot jungle sex; sexual tension off the charts, intrigue, and humor. I love how James referred to Odd One as Jungle Joe, Jungle Jasper, Jungle Jerry, Jungle Jake, and Jungle John before settling on Ranger and finally Michael. Too funny.

This story highlights how some men can be cruel to things they don't understand. I detested Smythe. Rutherford was interesting. I like that he wasn't completed evil. My heart ached for all the times Mic...more
Kate McMurray
This was a stay-up-until-2am-to-finish book because I had to know how things worked out for the characters. There are some tiny flaws (historical inaccuracies and also Michael is way too competent at everything) but I found it to be a fun, fantasy adventure with a lot of delicious tension (sexual tension between Michael and James; tension between James and, well, everyone; tension in the plot).
Amy
Sep 02, 2014 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, glbtq
I don't mind the fact that this is a retelling and that the story has been done before. What I do mind is that this is such a missed opportunity to be creative.

I liked the characters well enough at the start, but then the story started dragging along. It should have ended half a book ago. Everything from when they boarded the boat felt pointless and I stopped caring about the characters.

I was told about Michael's growth with his speech, but didn't see it. The scenes would have been so much more...more
Danyele Johnson

My reaction:
description

I couldn't get enough of this book :D
Megan L Harnett
James is a anthropologist who is a trip to study the local tribes of the Congo. While on his adventure he stubles upon a man who has been living in the jungle all by himself. The legends of him is that he was raised by apes since he was a child. James is curious about the man and the ape man is curious about him. Together they start interacting and James teaches the ape man, who he names Michael how to speak and read. While they are teaching each other the other men of Jame's expedition find out...more
Leslie
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
I was dissappointed with this one. I guess I expected too much of it. I mean, an m/m version of Tarzan? Sounded crazy intriguing. Alas, the book felt shallow, almost more like the screenplay for a movie than an actual book. The characters were...stereotypical, sort of card-board cutouts with no real...well, qualities to make them unique or interesting. Michael is exactly what you expect him to be: a man who talks in grunts and acts like an ape. James was just, well, nice. That's basically it. Th...more
Jody
Jungle Heat is an intriguing take on the Tarzan myth that brings out surprising depth from its characters and makes for a pleasant read that I was sad to see come to an end. Along with a satisfying storyline comes lifelike descriptions. Those of the jungle are so vivid that you can practically feel the humidity as are the images of London and its chaos. These images draw you into the story and give an interesting perspective on what Michael is going through as he transitions to modern civilizati...more
cecily
It wasn't like this book was so enthralling that I couldn't put it down but I was none the less almost hypnotized by the writing of this book. It was very subtle but the themes were brought to our attention by the fantastic characterization of Michael and James. The whole idea of love transcending cultural and linguistic barriers is terribly romantic and I do believe that I liked the idea itself half as much as I like the story Jungle Heat by Bonnie Dee which about that very thing. This book is...more
Tara
It was a good "read". The story was an old one done in a new way. I connected with Michael and James, and was rooting for their happiness. The lovemaking scenes were far fetched, and we are talking about someone who is "wild" and I didnt expect him to know how to be tender or e even worried about it from the get go. But its a story, and many rules can be bent! All in all, I was very satisfied!
Davey
Considering this is a remake of Tarzan, it was actually really good. Fierce jungle predator paired with a geeky adventurer always makes for a good time! I expected it to be more like Tarzan but was pleasantly surprised when this book turned in a very different direction.
Lisa
I can't resist this-- it sounds so similar to my novel-in-progress! Which could be either a good or bad thing, I don't know yet. It's possibly M/M. I'm intrigued and already read 4 chapters at lunch.
Update: No time for a full review, but AWWWWWwwww, this was so sweet! What a cool retelling of Tarzan. And such a fun love story. I will definitely read this one again sometime.
George
Just adding books that I read on my nook years ago, goodreads let's me catalog, the mess I created by buying hundreds of books here and there!
April
A very sweet and hot story that is quite a bit like Tarzan. The ending seemed a tiny bit rushed, but I really liked the way time passed prior to that. Michael’s journey from Odd One to finding a love and home was definitely well-done. I loved his thoughts as well as the transition from speaking very few words to being able to form full sentences. James was also a great love interest, and I liked how his reluctance and uncertainty stemmed from caring too much rather than being unsure of his own o...more
Michele Powers
A M/M romance tarzan story, set in Congo 1888, where one of them was raised by Gorillas and other is the scientist who finds him? You had me at Congo! Couldn't click buy on the Kindle fast enough. This was a great story. Tender romance. Because this was a gay couple in victorian times I was biting my nails to the end wondering how the author was going to pull off the HEA. But she did!
  • The Gentleman's Keeper
  • A Promise of Tomorrow
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Convincing Leopold (Convincing, #2)
  • Duet
  • The Hired Man
  • Island of Icarus
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Station
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Promises Made Under Fire
  • Madcap Masquerade
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Blinded By Our Eyes
  • The Lion and the Crow
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

Writing childish stories for my own pleasure led to majoring in English at college. Like most English majors, I dreamed of writing a novel, but at that time in my life didn't have the...more
More about Bonnie Dee...
Bone Deep The Gentleman and the Rogue Seducing Stephen After the End A Hearing Heart