Start by marking “The Nature Of Horses” as Want to Read:
The Nature Of Horses

The Nature Of Horses

Horses have a shared history with man going back millennia to their domestication around 4000 B.C. Yet only in very recent years have scientists begun to turn the tools of modern science on this remarkable animal that has been so wrapped up in human dreams and legends. Now modern scientific research is beginning to explain long-standing mysteries about the true nature of t ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Orion Publishing Group (first published April 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Nature Of Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature Of Horses

Jan 28, 2012 Aliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
This was a good book, went over the history of horses, how they were domesticated and why domestication worked out, and a bit about their anatomy and how apparently they aren't actually supposed to be able to survive because they can eat food of the poorest quality: they can 'thrive on grasses that a cow would starve to death on.' LOL really interesting to find out. It's really informative and helping me since I'm going to a 'ranch' every week, although of course I can't actually understand ever ...more
Jul 19, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
This is an interesting read about (you guessed it) the nature of horses, from the former editor of Nature Magazine.

Interesting facts I picked up: Horses can see red and blue but not green.

Horse sounds: Nickering is a sound that baby horses would make to tell their mothers they want to nurse. Unlike most baby animal sounds, it's low in pitch. The lower frequency is meant to be *felt* through the mother's body, rather than heard. Lower pitch sounds travel better this way. A whinny is a higher pi
Goele Lousbergh
Apr 18, 2015 Goele Lousbergh rated it really liked it
some stuff I didn't know after 20+ years with horses and a lot of scientific confirmation of things I always assumed to be true. I will go on to read his books about cats and dogs too.
Jan 22, 2014 J.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Budiansky's writing, and I enjoyed this book (I didn't realize it was for younger readers until I started reading it). It's very informative without being overwhelming, and I learned a lot about horses (seeing as how I didn't know much to begin with, this wasn't a hard thing to accomplish). Still, they aren't a favorite animal of mine and he managed to keep me interested. Perfect for someone who already loves horses -- I plan on giving my copy to my oldest niece!
Apr 14, 2011 Enikő marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
After enjoying the beginning of this book, I find it is getting too complicated for me right now. It started out as a bit technical, but easy to digest. Now, my mind's not really into calculating - or even understanding - ratios of length and speed, or weight and bone density, to name a few...

I may come back to this sometime, but it's going back on the shelf unfinished for now.
Jun 12, 2015 Meaghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Lovely, easy to read book.
Budiansky's writing is excellent and while being thorough he made the information very easy to swallow. It was perhaps not as in depth as I'd have liked, but that is more personal preference than a reflection of this book. Certainly learned a lot, would recommend for those interested in the finer points of horses.
Jan 30, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the amount of research, 3 stars for maintaining my interest = 4 stars. Some interesting points but nothing that blew me away.
Nov 21, 2011 Boronia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: equestrian
Interesting and informatif, I enjoyed reading this book.
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it it was ok
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Pressie
Teresa marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Ava marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Abby  Smith
Abby Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Christine Blythe
Christine Blythe marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Cari marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Kiki9902 marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Jillian Kitchen
Jillian Kitchen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Amie Confucian
Amie Confucian marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
natasha vincent
natasha vincent rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Jenna Gustin
Jenna Gustin marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Dpris Williamson
Dpris Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Kelly A. Beach
Kelly A. Beach marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Louise marked it as to-read
Amber Buhl
Amber Buhl marked it as to-read
Anne M
Anne M rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
  • Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse
  • A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship: In the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • The Kingdom of Rarities
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Tigers In Red Weather: A Quest for the Last Wild Tigers
  • She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch a Woman's Soul
  • Horses Don't Lie: What Horses Teach Us About Our Natural Capacity for Awareness, Confidence, Courage, and Trust
  • The Modern Dog: How Dogs Fit into Our Society, Culture, and Our Personal and Emotional Lives
  • Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good
  • The Quiet World: Saving Alaska's Wilderness Kingdom, 1879-1960
Historian and journalist STEPHEN BUDIANSKY is the author of twelve books about military history, science, and nature.

His latest book is THE BLOODY SHIRT: TERROR AFTER APPOMATTOX, which chronicles the struggles of five courageous men in the post-Civil War South as they battled a rising tide of terrorist violence aimed at usurping the newly won rights of the freedmen.
More about Stephen Budiansky...