Start by marking “Adding a Dimension” as Want to Read:
Adding a Dimension

Adding a Dimension

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In this amusing and informative collection of seventeen essays, Dr. Asimov takes the reader on a rousing mental trip into the world of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and astronomy.
Published May 1st 1966 by Dobson Books Ltd (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Adding a Dimension, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adding a Dimension

Manny
Jan 11, 2011 Manny rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Manny by: My father
I was given a copy of this collection when I was nine or ten, and it permanently changed my attitude to science and mathematics. Nearly all the individual entries are excellent, though I think I'd have to give top billing to the ones on the Michelson-Morley experiment (a negative result can change the whole history of science!) and Cantor's diagonalization argument (there are different kinds of infinities!!)

If you know a bright kid who's run out of interesting things to read, you might want to s
G. Branden
Jul 23, 2009 G. Branden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(See my review of The Solar System and Back for my overall impressions of Asimov's essays for the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.)

The best of Asimov's F&SF essay collections I have yet read, this title serves up one outstanding article after another. Perhaps surprisingly, this work features only two essays on astronomy, and a plurality (seven of the seventeen) are on mathematical subjects.

Part I--Mathematics

Chapter 1: "T-Formation" (August 1963): large numbers; the googol, the goo
Ami Iida
Jul 11, 2015 Ami Iida rated it really liked it
Shelves: essay
chapter 13 ; Evolution and genetic laws of Mendel are the complementary relationship.

it is intriguing about Unit conversion and treat very huge number and local minimum .
Steve Carroll
Oct 19, 2014 Steve Carroll rated it really liked it
call it 4.5. This one is a barely themed collection of essays Asimov wrote for magazines, about half of them are about numbers. This one has essays on infinity, very large numbers, measurement systems, the michaelson-morley experiment that disproved the existence of the ether, and a great story about the eventual discovery of Mendel's work on genetics (he was a monk by trade) by other scientists, blood types, and the true story of Columbus' journey's relationship to the earth being round. (Yes, ...more
Benj FitzPatrick
Feb 11, 2011 Benj FitzPatrick rated it it was amazing
Not exactly the usual Asimov, but just as well written as the rest of his work. His essays here provide a novel viewpoint wrt science and math. I wish I had read this in high school so I could see if/how my opinion changed after undergrad/grad school.
Curtiss
Another of the Good Doctor's collections from his science/mathematics column in the magazine Fantasy & Science Fiction.
Marcia Oliveira
Jan 16, 2014 Marcia Oliveira rated it it was amazing
I'm having so much fun!
Kiran Babu
Kiran Babu marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Abhilash Meesala
Abhilash Meesala marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
ZAGH.
ZAGH. marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Katsuro Ricksand
Katsuro Ricksand marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Sunny Burns
Sunny Burns marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Gabriel Aguilar
Gabriel Aguilar marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Jonas
Jonas marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Will
Will added it
Jun 22, 2016
Peter Mcloughlin
Peter Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Dwayne Roberts
Dwayne Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Poonam
Poonam marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Thomas Yaeger
Thomas Yaeger marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Luis Francisco Contreras
Luis Francisco Contreras marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Miumiu
Miumiu marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Tara Lnberg
Tara Lnberg marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Krzysztof
Krzysztof marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Higher Speculations: Grand Theories and Failed Revolutions in Physics and Cosmology
  • Before The Beginning
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • The Impact of Science on Society
  • Michaelmas
  • Aha! Insight
  • Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth
  • Cold Cash War
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • The Emergent Multiverse: Quantum Theory According to the Everett Interpretation
  • The River of Time
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • The Common Sense of Science
  • The Emergence of Life on Earth: A Historical and Scientific Overview
  • The Life and Times of Richard III (Kings and Queens of England)
  • The Nitrogen Fix

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

“A number of years ago, when I was a freshly-appointed instructor, I met, for the first time, a certain eminent historian of science. At the time I could only regard him with tolerant condescension.

I was sorry of the man who, it seemed to me, was forced to hover about the edges of science. He was compelled to shiver endlessly in the outskirts, getting only feeble warmth from the distant sun of science- in-progress; while I, just beginning my research, was bathed in the heady liquid heat up at the very center of the glow.

In a lifetime of being wrong at many a point, I was never more wrong. It was I, not he, who was wandering in the periphery. It was he, not I, who lived in the blaze.

I had fallen victim to the fallacy of the 'growing edge;' the belief that only the very frontier of scientific advance counted; that everything that had been left behind by that advance was faded and dead.

But is that true? Because a tree in spring buds and comes greenly into leaf, are those leaves therefore the tree? If the newborn twigs and their leaves were all that existed, they would form a vague halo of green suspended in mid-air, but surely that is not the tree. The leaves, by themselves, are no more than trivial fluttering decoration. It is the trunk and limbs that give the tree its grandeur and the leaves themselves their meaning.

There is not a discovery in science, however revolutionary, however sparkling with insight, that does not arise out of what went before. 'If I have seen further than other men,' said Isaac Newton, 'it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”
357 likes