Start by marking “Joni” as Want to Read:
Joni

Joni

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  14,810 ratings  ·  181 reviews
Joni's faith in Christ enables her to adjust to her handicap and become an accomplished artist.
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published February 1st 1978 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1976)

John
What an inspiring book!!! Joni is a person who refused to let circumstances defeat her. Her faith, her perseverance, her sheer determination brought about an amazing triumph of human spirit.
Raquel
I read this book because I'm working with a client on a book and he also has quadriplegia. He said that when he was first injured, this book helped him cope with his disability. I hoped the book would help provide some inspiration and structural ideas for me in my client's project.

Joni is a Christian, and almost the entire book is devoted to her relating to her injury in the context of Christianity. I understand that her faith was important to her in coping with the whys and the hows of her inju
I went to see Joni Eareckson Tada speak and was so enthralled by her that I borrowed this book immediately from the library. She is such a motivating and encouraging hero of faith. You will not be disappointed from reading her autobiography. She tells you what happened in such details that you feel like you are right there in the hospital after her diving accident. I also anguished when I read about her pain, suffering, and depression. I was so happy for her when she turned back to God and reali ...more
Funzee Shu

I've read this book years ago...
Someone gave it to me, and her story still inspire me until today....

"God is good, all the time."
Sophie Lydia
This book is a beautiful blessing, this story is remarkable.

Joni has touched millions of people and continues to do so. I watched her documentary long time ago, and when i saw her book i grabbed it, and will buy my personal copy as it opens up to pain, suffering, grace, hope, love, courage, support, resentment, gifts, blessings, relationships...

Anyone should read this book,

it really touched my heart, I will re-read it again and again because the heart-warming lessons Joni gives you, opens up y
Sue
In a sense this isn’t a direct autobiography. We meet Joni at the start of the book when she feels as if she is drowning after bumping her head, until she is rescued by one of her sisters. It’s a huge shock to her system to find herself in hospital, unable to move anything other than her head. From dreams of college and independence, she is entirely dependent on the hospital staff, and unsure whether she will survive.

The rest of the book charts her progress, including two operations, and a great
April
Powerful testament to the truth that even when we don't care about God, are mad at God, are bitter at God, or are running from God, He graciously makes himself known in our lives anyway. I am amazed that Ms. Eareckson Tada was able to surrender to God in such a way as to praise Him each morning though her heart cries out, "I can't 'do' quadriplegia anymore"! She really does "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Sara
I read this when I was junior high. It was very inspirational. Many of my friends were reading it at that time. At one point, I acquired a few back issues of Western Horseman from the 1960's and in one of them I discovered a letter from Joni in the pen-pal section of the magazine, written before her paralysis. I still have that magazine.
Kelly
Although I was familiar with Joni Eareckson Tada's story, I had never read any of her books. This is the book about the tragic accident that caused her quadriplegia (paralysis from the shoulders down), and her physical, emotional, and spiritual journey that follows.

What impressed me most about this book are the spiritual nuggets in it that just crack your heart open reading it. It delves into her personal relationships - with her father, her sisters, her friends, her love interests - in a way t
Margaret
Read this as a teen. I think it was instrumental in making me believe I could do anything...I had no excuses. It also made me more grateful for the things I had. Wonderful book!
Merlin
Nov 22, 2013 Merlin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Merlin by: Linn Abraham
This is a very good book that guides us to blindly believe and trust in the Lord...The story confirms the truth that "all things work together for good to them that love God".
Rose Dernoncourt
Read this ages ago when I first became a Christian. It is an amazing story of an amazing walk of faith!
Chasity
Wow! Joni is such an inspiration! The suffering she endured, physically, psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually has become a guide for finding silver linings. She manages to explain her faith in God without seeming like overbearing like some people who try to share their testimony. Some people just come off as fake, like they don't believe a word they are telling you but they just love hearing the sound of their voice so much they just keep blabbing. Joni is NOT like that. She shares her ...more
Joy
Joni Eareckson's candid, transparent recounting of her recovery from a nearly life-threatening diving accident provides encouragement, comfort and motivation for all who read Joni. This is the first edition of Eareckson's autobiography; but several newer editions are available, I believe.

While in her mid-twenties, Joni shared in this book the struggles of learning to not only accept life as a quadriplegic but also to embrace and thank God for it. She was only 17 when she broke her neck after div
Delray Beach Public Library Public Library
In her autobiography, Joni Eareckson tells us how, in the face of darkness, she trusted God to get her through the toughest time in her life.Joni Eareckson was a normal seventeen-year-old. Having graduating high school, having many animals, and going to college, she had a perfect life.

Then, in July 1967, she dove into the Chesapeake Bay. Suddenly, her head hit something hard, and the next thing she knew she was lying face down at the bottom of the bay. She couldn’t move, couldn’t feel anything f
Kelsey
I read this book during high school after attending a women's conference where Joni spoke. I remembered being powerfully affected by both hearing her speak and reading her autobiography. After so many years, I wondered if the story would affect me the same way. Oddly enough, it didn't--at least, not exactly the same way though still powerfully. I think that the intervening years of experience and spiritual growth in my own life caused me to have greater understanding of the spiritual lessons Jon ...more
Amber B
Apr 29, 2015 Amber B rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Many readers who need someone to be inspired by
Joni: An Unforgettable Story was an amazing book about an amazing woman. This was such an inspiring story. Joni's accident may have not been something that she would have planned for herself in her life, but God made sure to use it to her advantage. Joni grew stronger in not only her physical appearance, but also her emotional appearance. Joni is a woman that everyone should learn about, for she can truly inspire anyone.
Libby Baker Sweiger
This book is well written and very inspiring! Joni is paralyzed in a diving accident and overcomes her terrible disability: paralysis from the neck down through her faith in the Lord God.

She takes the concept of overcoming as a believer to new in heights, yet it is a very honest book, showing the most difficult times as well. She is truthful, genuine and let's us see her heart and her faith.

Love this book.
Becky
I'm not giving five stars for writing style, which was simple and straightforward and plenty good. What I'm really giving five stars for is the incredible material. Mrs. Tada has lived a life full of adversity AND HOPE thanks to the work of Christ in her heart. What a testimony to the fact that God uses the weak, small and insignificant to accomplish his purposes (as seen most spectacularly in the poor and nomadic life of Christ, followed by his shameful death, and then his stunning victory in r ...more
Josh Meares
Joni Eareckson Tada's autobiography is a powerful story. I empathize with a lot of it, especially when she realizes that her relationship with God is directly related to her health. THere is a lot of inspiration to be found here, as well as a lot of biblical truth, especially in chapters 9 through 11. A powerful testimony of God's faithfulness through trials.
Sheila
I read this as a young adult, in the early 80's, and I remember it having a big impact on me at the time. My lasting impression from the book includes being inspired by what this amazing woman did through God's strength to overcome terrible a terrible tragedy, but I also remember that reading the details of her paralysis and hospital / rehab stay were really frightening to me as a young adult. I tend to be sensitive that way, though, and I was young at the time, so other people reading the book ...more
Linda Woodard
Renewed Faith and Gratitude

The Joni Story served as a wonderful means to renew my faith and trust in God. I don't have a physical disability, but experience has thrown me some traumatic, life-changing, emotional blows. Reading about Joni's challenges helped put my circumstances in perspective and regain a sense of gratitude. God's grace is sufficient.
Reader9
Recently, I read the book Joni:An Unforgettable Story, written by Joni Eareckson herself. She tells her amazing, heartwarming, and astounding story of her struggle with quadriplegia after a devastating diving accident as a teenager. Throughout the book she teaches us that having faith in God will always help in tough situations. I have been greatly inspired to better my faith with God by just reading her story. While reading the book, I realized that God is always by our side whether it is in th ...more
Rachel
This was amazing. I was right, Joni's story was exactly what I needed for this season of my life. Her story is well-known but what might not be as well known is her journey through depression and searching for meaning and purpose in her life after her accident. There were some beautiful lessons she learned and shared, and I found encouragement for my own faith, health issues, and even my singleness! Raw and real, Joni shares her faith-journey and how the Lord used her accident for good, and for ...more
I have know a little about Joni's story for a long as I can remember because it impressed my mom so much, but I never read Joni's telling of it before. It is amazing to read what God did in her life and how she was able to accept what happened to her and affirm that God can work all things for good for those who love him and are called according to his purposes. Joni really emphasized part of that verse: "for those who love him." She said at one point that she had to love God and trust him so th ...more
Grant Trevarthen
As a disabled person myself, I greatly admired Joni's courage and tenacity dealing with the knowledge, that she wouldn't physically heal from the injuries received from her diving accident.
Joni's disabilities were as the result of an accident,my disability was from a birth defect known as Spina Bifida. Even so I can understand her anguish at the sudden loss of her freedom and mobility at an age where she was a vibrant young lady, looking forward to life, as anyone would.
What a gift she found i
Carolyn F.
I read this in the early 1980s and just had so much admiration for this girl/woman. I don't think I would have persevered like she did and to find her niche, unbelievable. Watch where you're diving!
Deirdre Keating
Thanks for adding this book, EJ, and reminding me of it. Erin, it was your copy that I remember reading---with that exact cover, and often I've confused it with The Other Side of the Mountain---the story of skier Jill Kinmont Boothe. Both are amazing stories of spirt, but this one includes the role of faith played in Joni's journey to deal with becoming paralyzed.
Deb
When Joni Eareckson breaks her neck in a diving accident at the age of seventeen, her life changes forever. At first, she wants to die, and she asks her sister to slit her wrists. She simply cannot imagine liiving in a wheelchair the rest of her life. Her sister refuses. At this point, it tskes more courage to live than die.

The difference in Joni's life occurs when she finds a purpose, and she begins actively searching the scriptures. It doesn't happen immediately, but she does find comfort in
Renee
I read this book when I was a teenager. It's stuck with me for years. I loved it then and I love it now. (I really don't remember how I old I was when I read it!)
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • Born Again
  • Tramp for the Lord
  • Just as I Am
  • Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (Lives of Faith)
  • Run Baby Run
  • End of the Spear
  • Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story
  • No Compromise
  • Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • God's Smuggler
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • In the Presence of My Enemies
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • Streams in the Desert
Previously published as Joni Eareckson
FROM WEBSITE:
A diving accident in 1967 left Mrs. Tada a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, unable to use her hands. During two years of rehabilitation, she spent long months learning how to paint with a brush between her teeth. Her high detail fine art paintings and prints are sought after and collected.
Due to her best-selling books, beginning with her autobiograp
More about Joni Eareckson Tada...
A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship Heaven: Your Real Home

“Only God is capable of telling us what our rights and needs are. You have to surrender that right to Him.” 19 likes
“But that's the same for everyone if we let society determine our value," Steve explained as he sat down on the piano bench. "We always lose when we evaluate ourselves according to some one else's ideas or standards. And there are as many standards as there are people. A jock measures you by your athletic ability; a student by your brains; a steady by your looks. It's a losing battle," he said, striking a sour piano chord for added emphasis. "We have to forget about what people say or think, and recognize that God's values are the only important ones.""But that's the same for everyone if we let society determine our value," Steve explained as he sat down on the piano bench. "We always lose when we evaluate ourselves according to some one else's ideas or standards. And there are as many standards as there are people. A jock measures you by your athletic ability; a student by your brains; a steady by your looks. It's a losing battle," he said, striking a sour piano chord for added emphasis. "We have to forget about what people say or think, and recognize that God's values are the only important ones.” 7 likes