The Prince of Mathematics: Carl Friedrich Gauss

The Prince of Mathematics: Carl Friedrich Gauss

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Learn about the boy who - could read and add numbers when he was three years old, - thwarted his teacher by finding a quick and easy way to sum the numbers 1-100, - attracted the attention of a Duke with his genius, and became the man who... - predicted the reappearance of a lost planet, - discovered basic properties of magnetic forces, - invented a surveying tool used by...more
Published January 1st 2006 by AK Peters

Hildur
What I wanted from this book was more information about Gauss's discoveries, but it barely scraped the surface. Instead it's mostly filler material: fake conversations, useless trivia etc.

The characters keep saying "I wonder if -this- and -that- will happen in the future", for instance motorized carriages and other things that have been discovered since then. Also, when Gauss's wife gave birth to an above average sized child, the author added that nowadays people would have linked the large size...more
Angie
The actual retelling of "Fred" from Life of Fred! I loved it and so did the kids. His life was absolutely inspirational. He was so blessed to have had the opportunity to live out his life passion and effect such beautiful changes in our world. I also loved that he told his mother early in his life what he wanted and then he got it. A fabulous Law of Attraction story. I was in tears several times through the story.
Jean-marc Krikorian
In reading some of the other books on mathematics I've been reading of late, Carl Frederich Gauss' name came up often and I was eager to learn more about him. Sadly, very few books exist on him (biographies that is).

The book was interesting those it is somewhat fictional especially with the fake dialogues that occur between Gauss and other people in his life. Also, many of those dialogues were somewhat "silly".

Aside from this gripe the book was engaging and a quick read. It's amazing to learn ho...more
Rebeka
Μόλις το διάβασα και ήταν ένα από τα ωραιότερα βιβλία που έπεσαν στα χέρια μου, αν σκεφτεί κανείς ότι το διάβασα σε διάστημα λιγότερο της μιας εβδομάδας. Πρόκειται για ένα υπέροχο βιβλίο, κατάλληλο για τον καθένα γιατί τα Μαθηματικά που περιέχει είναι τόσο απλά γραμμένα.
Αυτό που με εντυπωσίασε είναι η απλότητα αυτού του μεγάλου Μαθηματικού, η ισορροπία στη ζωή του και ο μετριοπαθής χαρακτήρας του συνδυασμένος με την γνώση των ικανοτήτων του. Ένα πολύ ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα, το οποίο συστήνω σε όλο...more
Safa Islem
Safa Islem marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Pierre Simone
Pierre Simone marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Rnath
Rnath marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Aleksander
Aleksander marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Moonwalking
Moonwalking marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
JoDean
JoDean marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Bruno Santiago
Bruno Santiago marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013