Start by marking “Irregular People” as Want to Read:
Irregular People

Irregular People

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Who is your "irregular person?" Joyce brings wise and healing words to help you deal with those insensitive family members who have crushed your spirit with their emotional neglect and abuse.
Published August 1st 1989 by Balcony Pub (first published 1986)

The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard BachTo Hold The Sun by Chas Watkins
Best Inspirational/Self Help
323rd out of 399 books — 373 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniI Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreJessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
Titles that start with I, J, or K
254th out of 467 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Margaret
Apr 14, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way I relate to the difficult people in my life. There was one relationship in particular that was altered by the wisdom I gained from this book.
With her, some days I was "in" and the favorite, the confidant, friend, dearly loved and showered with gifts. The next day or week or month, I was criticized, gossiped about, and rejected. I could do nothing to please and nothing right.
This book taught me that I COULD CHOOSE HOW I WOULD BE. I carefully thought about/prayed about, h
Nicole
Aug 02, 2014 Nicole rated it it was ok
Overall rating: Mostly unhelpful.

Yes, this book was mostly unhelpful, but there were some really good nuggets in here too. My biggest complaint is that the descriptions/explanations/examples of irregular people are too vague. (Also, this book is from the 80s. Enough said.) I get that Joyce wanted to protect peoples' identities, but I feel like I needed more details to properly understand what she was saying. And while there were certainly enough examples of how destructive irregular people can b
Carla
Feb 05, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it
Wendy
Aug 03, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
We all have people in our lives who are irregular this book helps you understand that they do not have to kill your spirit
MissJessie
This book deals, by example, with difficult/PIA people in one's life and how to deal with them.

I found it a little bit dated (it is over 20 years old) and thought that though some of the advice was helpful in developing perspective or in identifying such people for what they are instead of being in denial or blaming oneself, all I really wanted to say to the victims was "just tell them to shove it."

It took me 60 years to figure this out and it is difficult to do, but in the end, one is a lot hap
Jody Shee
Nov 05, 2013 Jody Shee rated it really liked it
This book is a classic on how to deal with people close to you who aren't normal. By that, I mean friends or family members who you can never be reconciled to because they are strange and will never come around to your side. They have no interest in being your friend, or even a decent relative/human being to you. The author calls them "irregular people" and she has one in her life. She takes you through the process of dealing with it and moving on. It's very insightful.
Becky
Jan 21, 2011 Becky added it
This was a re-read for me. Remembering how helpful it was in my view of a difficult relationship over 10 years ago caused me to borrow it again from my mom in hope that I would be able to "deal" better with a current relationship that often leaves me frustrated and discouraged. I'm thankful for Joyce Landorf's transparancy in sharing her journery and pray that the Lord will continue to work in my heart to find His freedom and forgiveness.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I learned that some people will never love you the way you want them too no matter what you do. This book helps you to recognize that these people are broken and will never be fixed. It also helps you to stop longing for approval, love and acceptance from those kinds of people. Basically this is a heart healer. Don't waste time striving to be loved by people who aren't capable of it.
Nicole
Feb 10, 2016 Nicole added it
GREAT BBOK
Ti-Leigh Telford
Feb 02, 2013 Ti-Leigh Telford rated it really liked it
This book was published almost 30 years ago, but its truths are eternal. It's a difficult book to read if you have an irregular person in your life. I have several and finally need to accept them in a healthy way. I think I may almost be there. Praise Jesus!!
Deborah
Sep 16, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing
If there is someone in your life that you normally would not be around, but are forced to through circumstance. I read this a good 20 years ago. I found it tremendously helpful. It is NOT theory but rather from the heart of one's been there.
Deena Sterud rogers
Aug 13, 2013 Deena Sterud rogers rated it really liked it
This book really helped me understand some of the people in my life and why they act the way they do-they are irregular people and just can't help it! I need to learn to love them right where they are, because I can't change them.
Kathy
Mar 06, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with an "irregular" person in their life.
Recommended to Kathy by: a very good friend.
It was nice yet sad to know that we are not alone in dealing with "irregular" people. It was helpful to the soul, but still finding it difficult to deal with the irregular person in our lives.
Peggy Wolf
Feb 03, 2008 Peggy Wolf rated it liked it
I've recently reread this book. Everyone has an irregular person in their life, but this book emphasizes the fact that you are probably someone elses irregular person.
Donna
Jul 18, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago and just was reminded of the wisdom it gives about dealing with "irregular people" in our lives. I plan to re-read this one from the library.
Louanne Winkle
Oct 12, 2013 Louanne Winkle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books
Even though an older book, I would highly recommend this for anyone who has an "irregular" person in their lives.
Oct 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Only read if you are super Christian. Otherwise, none of it is actionable information. I found it rather unhelpful.
Lisa
Nov 11, 2007 Lisa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with irregular people in his/her life
This book gave me insight into my irregular person, but I don't feel like it helped me deal with my irregular person.
Dawn Roberts
Aug 07, 2012 Dawn Roberts rated it really liked it
Exceptionally insightful, personal, and encouraging book about growing through difficult relationships.
Jennifer Rule
Jan 02, 2013 Jennifer Rule rated it it was amazing
This book was affirming and life-changing for me.
Mandy
May 06, 2015 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had heard of this book a long time ago!

I recommend this book to anyone who has someone in their life who continues to cause them pain over and over again.
Cindy Tarkington
Cindy Tarkington marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
MommaThib
MommaThib marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jan 23, 2016
Melinda Gooden
Melinda Gooden marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Rebecca Kendall Phillips
Rebecca Kendall Phillips rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Susan Powell
Susan Powell rated it did not like it
Dec 12, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015