Start by marking “The Coming Collapse of China” as Want to Read:
The Coming Collapse of China

The Coming Collapse of China

China is hot. The world sees a glorious future for this sleeping giant, three times larger than the United States, predicting it will blossom into the world's biggest economy by 2010. According to Chang, however, a Chinese-American lawyer and China specialist, the People's Republic is a paper dragon. Peer beneath the veneer of modernization since Mao's death, and the sympt ...more
Published September 15th 2001 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Collapse of China, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming Collapse of China

Hadrian
Sep 17, 2016 Hadrian marked it as did-not-read
Shelves: nonfiction, china
Goodreads is recommending this to me for some reason.

Poor Gordon Chang. He predicted China as we know it would collapse in 2011. He revised his estimate, apologizing for his mistake, and then said the country would fall to pieces in 2012, like so many others predicted the end of the world in that year.

A cautionary note, of course, is not to put so precise a date on your estimates. But I must be fair and say Chang is not the only one to be pessimistic about the near future for China - David Sha
Valerie Yoh
Jul 07, 2008 Valerie Yoh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I'm only at about page 100 of this book. There's some good information in here, but it's bit too dry for me. It's also highly biased. I was hoping for more objective writing, but it's just dripping with the author's feelings of China's 'impending doom'.

I may get back to this book later just to finish it, but not because I'm that interested. It's time for me to move on to my next book club selection and other books that I'll enjoy more...

Helovitz
Nov 16, 2012 Helovitz rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. It got to technical for me. ALsoit predicted the collapse of China in 10 years and was written in 2001 so guess it was wrong.
Leonardo
Jul 20, 2016 Leonardo marked it as to-keep-reference
Shelves: asia-no-rusia
Uno de los pronósticos más pesimistas sobre el futuro de China se encuentra en el libro de Gordon G. Chang "The Coming Collapse of China'' cuyo índice, entre unos cuantos ejemplos, nos dice que «La revolución ha envejecido», «El descontento de la gente es explosivo», «Las empresas de titularidad estatal están moribundas», «Los bancos chinos quebrarán» y «La ideología y la política limitan el progreso».

Aunque la tesis de Chang solo fuese correcta en un 50 por ciento, el sistema financiero mundial
Andy Rapt
Ten years have passed since I first read this book and none of it has come true. I bought it in a foreign bookstore in Hong Kong expecting to read something insightful about the economic and political condition in China but sadly that was not the case. I remember there's lots of Falun Gong propaganda and a chapter about prostitutes.
The author's arguments about the collapse of China didn't sound convincing back then but he still holds on strongly to his opinions (you can check his videos on youtu
Will James
Aug 09, 2011 Will James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly I'm no economist - and this book is full to the brim with economic and technical arguments - but 'The Coming Collapse of China' is still a very interesting book. I read this a few years ago now, when China was only a recent member of the WTO. From what I can tell Chang's predictions have failed to materialise (although he's still got a year I suppose), but it is nonetheless a good read for those who want a different perspective on the rise of China and the phenomenon of Chinese econom ...more
Matt
Mar 28, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun
"Another nearly ten-year old book that attempted to prognosticate China's future at the turn of the new millenium. Looking at China today in 2009 it seems this author might be a bit off. But what kind of cracks in the façade lurk beneath the surface?"
Charles Blumberg
Jan 02, 2012 Charles Blumberg rated it it was ok
280 pages that can be summed up as centralized gov't planning is not efficient, corrupt, and stifles innovation. Presently, the gov't can control the people but eventually too many people will challenge it and there will be too many for the gov't to prevent it.
!Tæmbuŝu
KOBOBOOKS

Article by Gordon Chang at Foreign Policy
Dax
Jan 16, 2008 Dax rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. Unless you like arguments like "a Muslim in Xinjiang doesn't like all the pork in Chinese food, therefore China is bound to collapse," you're not gonna get anything out of this book.
Az
Apr 29, 2009 Az marked it as to-read
(recommended by professor)
Toby Knoblauch
Jul 26, 2012 Toby Knoblauch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not!
Nick Woodall
Lots of facts. Lots of opinion. I happen to agree with the author. Anyone who as been to China, will recognize many of the problems addressed in this book.
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it did not like it
May 14, 2015
Smooth Herman
Smooth Herman rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Reynhartvanrooyen
Reynhartvanrooyen rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Smithrallan
Smithrallan rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
S Hinchcliffe
S Hinchcliffe rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Helge Reikerås
Helge Reikerås rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Porter Hammer
Porter Hammer rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2009
Remko Popma
Remko Popma rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2008
WTD JR
WTD JR rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Siddharth
Siddharth rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Lindie
Lindie rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
  • The Strange Non-Death of Neoliberalism
  • Codes of the Underworld: How Criminals Communicate
  • Sprawl: A Compact History
  • The China-Pakistan Axis: Asia's New Geopolitics
  • The Modern World-System II: Mercantilism and the Consolidation of the European World-Economy, 1600-1750 (Studies in Social Discontinuity)
  • The Thistle and the Drone: How America's War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam
  • The Revenge of History: Crisis, War and Revolution in the Twenty First Century
  • A More Perfect Constitution: 23 Proposals to Revitalize Our Constitution and Make America a Fairer Country