Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Amazing Gracie” as Want to Read:
Amazing Gracie
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Amazing Gracie

by
3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,077 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews

When Gracie MacDougal returns to Seagull Point, Virginia, seeking to reform her workaholic ways, she discovers more than relaxation. The picturesque town calls to her, as does the waterfront Victorian house she envisions as the perfect bed-and-breakfast. But one person stands between Gracie and her new goal...and he isn't budging.
Southern charmer Kevin Daniels isn't inter
...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 1998)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 1,985)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Tonya
Jan 20, 2011 Tonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I agree this is one of Woods best. Gracie is a character I would love to be, and I fell right in love with this book. Feeling as if she isn't appreciated by her new boss,Max, she quits her job working for the international hotel chain. The only problem is where will she go?She has no family, and has never really called anywhere home. She vacationed once when she was young to Seagull Point, Virginia. She has fond memories of it there,so that is where she ends up.

What will she do now that she is
...more
Susan
Laid off from her job and utterly disenchanted with men, Gracie MacDougal pours all her attention into turning an old Victorian house into a bed and breakfast, with the help of its owner, an indolent but charming Southern lawyer.

While I liked the plot, would any truly self-possessed modern woman take kindly to a man who hardly knows her but tells her he plans to sleep with her?
Jenn O'Brien
I really had high hopes for this, but it was a big dud. The main character was not someone you liked or rooted for. She was supposed come off as this strong independent female, but I didn't see it.

The thing that drove me most nuts was the lead up to the love scene. Passion mounting, you are ready to go ... and she leaves to go take a shower? Come on!
Veronica
This book started off promising but ended up reading more like a chick-lit romance than a regular romance (I don't particularly care for the chick-lit style of writing). Also, I love a good happy ending but this was too happy. Gracie seemed to be the "saving-grace" of multiple of Kevin's relatives and reminded me of a Hallmark movie.
Wenny Widjaja
Dec 03, 2015 Wenny Widjaja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selalu jatuh cinta dengan buku yang temanya disatu kota kecil...
Dimana semua orang saling mengenal satu sama lain. Kumpul2 tiap pagi atau sore dan saling membantu jika salah satu terkena masalah.
Dan itu yang terjadi di dalam buku ini.., gracie yang kabur dari pekerjaannya akhirnya menemukan rumah untuknya.

Berkebun, bikin kue, bikin penginapan kecil ahhh rasanya indah sekali ya hidup dinovel ini....
Tokoh kevin yang sangat mempesona menambah nilai plus buku ini....
Andaikata bisa hidup seperti itu.
...more
Jackie Lane
Mar 15, 2011 Jackie Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
nurmawati

sebenernya cerita nya bagus, tapi terjemahannya agak datar jadi kurang berasa feel nya.....
gw kasih 3.5 bintang aja deh ya....

ceritanya ttg gracie yang lelah hidup berpindah2 dari 1 negara ke negara lain dan dari 1 kota ke kota lain karena dia bekerja di jaringan hotel internasional yang sgt sibuk, belum lagi dengan bos yang terlalu menuntut dan bergantung semua pekerjaan sampe yg terkecil2 nya ke gracie....
gracie berniat pergi dan luburan ke kota kecil yang dulu pernah di datangi nya...tapi beg
...more
DuniaFriskaIndah
Kesan yang ingin aku sampaikan adalah aku suka sekali dengan buku ini. >:D< Aku suka dengan gaya Sherryl membawa semua tokoh-tokohnya menjadi suatu drama percintaan yang indah dan tidak terkesan murahan. :x Ide cerita sangat simple sekali, seoarang wanita yang ingin membangun penginapan di daerah selatan Amerika Serikat namun tersandung dengan sang pemilik yang ternyata di dalam novel ini menjadi sepasang kekasih yang saling melengkapi. :x :x Singkat kata ceritanya tentang drama cinta ala ...more
Yessyamarilis
Cerita ini mengingatkanku dengan virgin river. Bercerita tentang Gracie McDougal seorang manajer jaringan hotel internasional di Cannes. Hidupnya hanya untuk pekerjaan, selalu sibuk dan selama ini dia berpindah tempat tinggal dari satu negara ke negara lainnya. Namun yang dirindukannya adalah "rumah" meski dia sendiri belum bisa menggambarkan seperti apa rumah yang dia harapkan. Pada satu titik ketika dia jenuh dengan pekerjaanyaa, memutuskan untuk berhenti dan menuju Seagull Point Virginia. Tan ...more
Mirella Grace
May 06, 2011 Mirella Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violet-books
Awalnya beli buku ini karena bingung mo milih buku violet books yang mana. Eeeeh, ngeliat judul Amazing Gracie langsung kubeli... Pikirku: nama tokoh ceweknya mirip ama namaku. Inget banget deh, ini novel VB kedua yang kubeli, tapi jadi novel VB ke 7 yang kubaca.

Ternyata, gak sia sia beli dan baca ni buku. Ceritanya simpel, tapi dalam dan berkesan. Well, kalo boleh bilang, ini buku kedua berturut-turut yang mengisahkan perpindahan tokohnya dari Eropa ke bagian Timur Amerika.

Just to make it simp
...more
Erin
Aug 20, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars, actually.

I don't know that I've ever read any of Sherryl Woods' books before, but I got this one for free at PLA, so I threw it in my carry-on to read on vacation this summer. It was OK. Characters weren't terribly believable or well-developed, but I liked Aunt Delia.

It's a plot-driven bit of fluff--good for a beach read. The premise is that Gracie quits her job as a fancy-schmancy hotel manager when the new CEO starts penny-pinching & sacrificing quality for the bottom line. Sh
...more
Mayda
Jan 05, 2013 Mayda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
As a summer beach read, this book might capture your interest as you laze under the sun. But once you start looking deeper, you realize there really isn’t much here. The characters are trite and the plot as well as the ending are predictable from almost the very beginning. I listened to this on audio as I did housework, and this book was perfect for that: it did not require much attention to keep up with the storyline. Perhaps if the characters were better developed, I might have cared more abou ...more
Chelsea
Aug 15, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick light-hearted read. I really enjoyed Kevin, he was an amusing main character. Although sometimes his laid back attitude irritated me a lot. I feel like at times there was something missing, like we would just barely touch on a character or a characters life then it would change directions and go elsewhere. I don't know that I have read any other sherryl woods books, so if this is normal for the author, it is just a bit different. I guess I thought it would go just a bit deeper, ...more
Sharon
Aug 20, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a sweet, formula romance, an easy read. I didn't much care for the romantic lead--he may have been a great guy, but he was too much of a sweet talker for my taste.
Maggie Shanley
Ok story of an intense woman coming to take a break along the Chesapeake shore and getting caught up in a real estate transaction and family drama.
F
Mar 09, 2010 F rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, easy read, quite a few chuckles in the characters' dialogue, yet the book's plot is very predictable. I guess I am too much of a detail reader but there is a glaring discrepancy in the length of time that Aunt Delia had resided with Kevin Patrick Daniels, one of the main characters. In Chapter 3, Kevin tells the reader that his 87-year-old Aunt Delia moved in with him eighteen months ago. In Chapter 16 Aunt Delia is talking with Gracie, the other main character. Aunt Delia tells Gr ...more
Carrie
Jan 13, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Sherryl Woods book I've read. I read about 1/2 way through and lost interest, but at that point figured I'd better finish it. It didn't get any better. I read another review on this and someone mentioned it was like the author wrote the first 2/3 of the book then left it. It's like the author came back to finish it. For ex. the 10 year old girl is in the beginning of the book, then towards the end, she has the maturity of a teenager.

The plot was lacking. Things happened at the
...more
S Miller
Used - Good (Lightly creased spine; Creased near spine on front cover)
astin soekanto
nice. I love reading love stories. simply bcoz I don't believe in it
Sandy Forman-Johnson
another awesome Sherryl Woods book with a great storyline where everyone lives happily ever after
Jeni
Aug 03, 2013 Jeni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was rather a screwy, but enjoyable & funny romance novel. Gracie abruptly quits her job as manager of a luxury French hotel when her boss' excessive cost-cutting gestures start compromising the hotel's quality. Without family or any real roots, she goes to a place in rural Virginia where she once had a very happy family vacation so she can re-evaluate her life & choose her next job. She is attracted to an old Victorian house that would make a good Bed & Breakfast & gets enme ...more
Jeri
Oct 05, 2010 Jeri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gracie MacDougal leaves her high-powered hotel management job in France behind when she comes to a small town in Virginia looking for a change in her life. What she finds is a run-down Victorian house that would make the perfect bed-and-breakfast and an obstinate Kevin Patrick Daniels standing in her way. Laid back Kevin is Gracie's opposite, and while she is determined to change his mind about the house, he is determined to teach her to forget about work for a while ...

This was light and reason
...more
Darcy
I liked this one, but it wasn't anything special. I thought there was too much packed into the book, the main romance, plus 2 others. I got tired of what Kevin was hiding with the house, especially when there really didn't seem to be a reason. Had I been Gracie I would have slapped him upside the head with frustration. The secret was slightly interesting. I thought it was weird how Kevin had the reigns of all the family money, that everyone had to come groveling to him. Although after meeting so ...more
Susy O
Aug 15, 2014 Susy O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
kind of boring
Cbeagle
Aug 22, 2015 Cbeagle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
audio
Rebecca Jackson
Jul 29, 2012 Rebecca Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books by Sherryl Woods always "hit the spot". She seems to be able each time to deliver just what the reader needs, and makes them want the story to go on and on. And she has such a great sense of humor - I found myself laughing out loud with the characters all the way through this book. It is a stand alone, and it was written some time ago, but I want to know what the characters do next.
Leslie
Sep 29, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book, but I was a little frustrated by how Gracie let Kevin lead her around by the nose. Yes, I know the beauty/beast thing, but she was a highly skilled manager in a tough corporate business and once she hits Virginia she doesn't know how to do research, use computers, or negotiate? OK, willing suspension of huge disbelief. It was a sweet story, with fairly well drawn characters.
Sweety
Jun 08, 2010 Sweety rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like it,
the story make me want to read until the end

duh gw suka banget, cwenya workholic, sedangkan cowonya santai banget kelihatannya, suka bgt ama tante delianya

ini tipe cerita yang sweet, jarang kan gw suka ama novel sweet kalo bukan yang Young Adult, makanya gw kasih 4 krn bisa membuat gw bertahan baca dari awal ampe akhir tanpa adanya adegan yang bikin gw kipas2
Rhonda Rae Baker
Oct 09, 2010 Rhonda Rae Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for a relaxing adventure with characters anyone would absolutelly love. Realistic flow with a bit of romance and family dynamics to make your heart feel warm.

I'm excited about finding more novels of Sherryl Woods' and devour them just as quickly. Her prose are spicy and quick...totally enjoyable!
Kristiana S
Dibaca untuk Romance RC 2016
Tema :
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 66 67 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Orchard Valley Grooms: Valerie\Stephanie
  • Ex, Why, And Me
  • Heat Wave: Rex on the Beach/Getting Into Trouble/Shaken and Stirred
  • Our Little Secret
  • The Summer Hideaway (Lakeshore Chronicles, #7)
  • Christmas Weddings: His Christmas Eve Proposal / Snowbound Bride / Their Christmas Vows
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Viva Las Bad Boys!
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Her Cinderella Complex
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Desert Rogues Part 1
  • Footloose (Bellagio, #3)
  • Old Enough to Know Better
59446
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
...more
More about Sherryl Woods...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »