Cats Have No Lord

Cats Have No Lord

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Lizelle the liar, Merry the priest, Thraas the barbarian, the mysterious Catseye Yellow.. bound on a fool's quest to the top of the world to ask the Wisest One the oldest riddle of them all.

WHY DO CATS HAVE NO LORD?

A harmless enough question, isn't it? So why is someone moving heaven and hell to make sure it will never be asked?

"The first-rate world building, the unique ca...more
Mass Market Paperback, 225 pages
Published October 15th 1985 by Ace (first published April 1985)

Mariel
Mar 21, 2011 Mariel rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: manufacturers of breeches
Recommended to Mariel by: Kristen
There is an answer to the question that hasn't been asked. This book is a rip off. You will not find out why cats have no lord in this book that blatantly promises to be about that very subject. I want my penny back. In fact, I'm charging interest and I want TWO pennies back. Three pennies for pain and suffering.

More appropriate titles:
Every bad fantasy cliche in one book.
Breeches crimson cords boots hair breeches robes breeches blah blah pointless clothing details breeches did I mention that th...more
Michael
Mar 02, 2011 Michael marked it as recs-from-kristen
Fuck no, they don't! Cats are badass little heathens!
Elaine Cramer
I love this book, present tense. I have read it many times over the years and it is always enjoyable.
The characters are interesting and likable, some even lovable. Darkwind, for example. I love the interaction with him and Lizelle.
This is a journey tale, full of fights, puzzles, demons and intelligent animals. I found the ending to be extremely satisfying.
My poor tattered copy sits on my bookshelf patiently, knowing I will be reading it again.
This is my first review. When I have more time, I wil...more
Meridel
This book is exactly what I was looking for- a good mix of fantasy elements, a five man band, a quest, and some questionable allegiances that kept it all interesting. Definitely entertaining, though some pacing issues make the end feel rushed.
K. Axel
Like with most of my books on goodreads, I read this one quite a while ago. However, I can still remember much of the story, which is always a good thing. This is a travellers tale, a story of a group of companions on a quest for answers. They see much of the world, meet strange people and well, you should read this book to find out more. I also remember that this tale inspired me to write stories of my own, to make worlds of my own.

I know that there are a second tale in the same world, but off...more
Jeffrey
The more fantasy I read, the more original this slight fast read book gets. Slim it is, but a book that you read 3 times or more is a fun read and good and this is both.
Ron
An interesting fantasy read. An earlier work by an author who continues to entertain today.
Matthew
Engaging characters in a well-thought world with an interesting pantheon... Whimsical, quick read.
ThreeRs (Got Logic?)
I read this back when it first came out in 1985.

The only thing I remember about this was a rather vague yet disturbing sex scene. The characters were clearly not in love, and the man clearly did not want to be there, yet just as clearly he had no way out. The woman seemed to know this, yet demanded that he pretend. In the span of a few paragraphs, she first used intense pain to get her way, before abruptly switching gears to reward him for his agreement. During which he fervently hopes she won'...more
Arlene Allen
This was great and I'd always wished for a sequel.
Sarah Sammis
I don't remember this book except for liking the title.
K Davis
K Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Sstump
Sstump added it
Feb 26, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Daisy Banana
Daisy Banana marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
John D.
John D. marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Lemur-Cat
Lemur-Cat marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Tim Poston
Tim Poston marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1) Nevernever Dogland Liavek (Liavek, #1) The Players of Luck (Liavek, #2)