Nevernever

Nevernever (Borderland)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  706 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Growing up is hard to do . . . especially if, like Ron, you've been cursed (blessed?) and changed into a half wolf/half human. But though he may look strange, there is nothing weird about his loyalty to his newfound friends, or in his attempts to stay true to himself in the deadly, shifting world of Bordertown.
Published August 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nevernever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nevernever

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
397th out of 2,380 books — 8,743 voters
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Werewolf Books
258th out of 553 books — 657 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
The first thing that I need to mention is that it is a necessity that you read 'Elsewhere' by Will Shetterly before you read this book. This book is the direct continuation of the story of Ron/Wolfboy that begins in Elsewhere. That being said, I can say that I absolutely loved this book. I am now a true fan of the Borderland series and will be actively searching out the earlier books in the series.

The 'twist' in this book totally took me by surprise. I did not see it coming although it was the...more
Leah R
I love Borderlands books so much. this is fantastic. wow. The main character of Elsewhere grew on me as Wolfboy, it was cool to see how much he mellowed out and is no longer easily insulted and now cares deeply about other people. He might look scary but he's kind of sweet. Good plot too, had its ups and downs of drama but always suspense. I even liked the interlude sections of the book because it was so nice to get a slice of regular life in Bordertown. unlike many other books that I like but w...more
melydia
Ron is Wolfboy now, trying to get by in Bordertown while covered in fur and without the ability to speak. This is the sequel to Elsewhere, and is definitely the superior of the two. The story is much more cohesive and feels less dependent on the source material (that is, Terri Windling's Bordertown story collections). Unfortunately, both books employ the character-endangerment-in-lieu-of-actual-plot technique of storytelling. This only works if the reader is attached to the characters, which is...more
Amanda
Let me tell you, I was so excited about reading this book again! I discovered Elsewhere and Nevernever by Will Shetterly, about 10 years ago, during my 8th grade year at Gentry Junior High and I never forgot it! It took me the ten years since to once again figure out the title and locate the books and I promise you, I was not disappointed when I finally found it! I loved every second of this story, from the way Wolfboy, the narrator, tells you you can go ahead and skip through the parenthesis to...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This was actually a re-read, in May 2010. The pieces actually clicked together in a way that they hadn't before, about how "Danceland" (in Bordertown:), Elsewhere, this book, and Finder are an arc. (Hey, the first one I read was Finder. It's not my fault that starting at the end without realizing it confused me. ;)
Victoria Law
Elsewhere and his story in Welcome to Bordertown are so much better. In this book, the narrator digresses in long parentheses (sometimes even chapters).

and then there's the ending. I won't give it away, but I really really disliked it. It seemed as if he really just wanted it to be a happy ending no matter how farfetched it might be.
Savannah
If the first one of this pair, Elsewhere is the character setup (and it mostly is, I now see), then this book is the action that those characters set in motion. Lovely twist at the end redeems a great deal of the sadness and explains why Wolfboy goes on in other works as he does. Shetterly's taken just a small bit of Bordertown's shared world and fleshed it out in delightful detail. And the kids are just taken from the start by the "dating outside your species" tagline.
Hyzenthlay
No you have big fun.
Matt
Mar 12, 2010 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Matt by: Cabell
The further adventures of Ron (Wolfboy) in Bordertown. Intended to be somewhat of a mystery, but there really isn't much of it. To be honest this book felt a little disjointed. There were also a few things thrown in which didn't seem to contribute to the story. Ultimately Elsewhere is the better of the two, I still like the characters, but I guess that's just the way with unplanned sequels.
Kristi Cramer
Mar 06, 2013 Kristi Cramer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristi by: Elaine Cramer
Shelves: favorites
I Love this book! I have read it multiple times.
Shetterly's writing draws you in so that even if you are an adult who has never lost someone dear to you, nor felt like an outcast, you still relate to Ron as he bumbles his way around Bordertown.
I laughed out loud on more than one occasion, and one scene involving a Gingerbread man that makes me laugh and cry at the same time, every time I read it.
Touching and tough, humorous and hairy, you will enjoy Nevernever.
Karen
This book felt very different from the previous book. Ron (Wolfboy) felt like a completely different character (I know he's changed but he's almost unrecognizable). And I never really felt like I got into the book. There was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming, but I also don't think that I "believe" in the twist. It didn't really seem to fit together very smoothly. Or maybe it was just all wrapped up too quickly.
Neill Smith
In this sequel to elsewhere, Ron has been changed by the elf, Leda, to Wolfboy - mute, furry, but still living in Bordertown, the boundary between the human world and Faerie. Wolfboy and his new allies must protect Florida, the future leader of the elves, from groups that want to exploit her power and groups that want to expose her power for her protection.
Brianne
Cool sequel, getting used to the whole wolfboy concept.

Great book, in my opinion better than the first. A story that you can't expect but look back at and think "How did I not know?" I love how this series really shows how people develop and change over time, and that there's more than one kind of knight in shining armor.

NO YOU HAVE BIG FUN! (Inside joke)
Kimmyh
It would have helped , had I rad the first book, in getting into the story sooner..you know, since I'd have known all the main players.

However, towards the middle, when the murder mystery began, my interest in the story picked up considerably and I ended up quite liking it.
April Ray
I read this book before reading Elsewhere. NeverNever read as if it really were being told by a 17 year old. I found it hard to follow the dialogue at times, but the characters were real and endearing. Very surprise twist at the end. Wonderfully told.
Erin
Nevernever, the sequel to Elsewhere, is not nearly as good as it's predecessor. There are still interesting moments and an engaging plot, but I don't feel like it lived up to its reputation.
Unwisely
Still very 90s, but this one was mildly more interesting than the last one, I thought. I didn't see the final part coming, so that's something, but I still wasn't blown away or anything.
Michelle M
My very favorite shared universe, about a city on the blurred edge of earth and faerie, and the people who find their way there. One of many anthologies and stand-alone novels.
R. Michael Litchfield
Sequel to elsewhere, and tied closely enough they probably should be read as one novel

VEry gritty, real and painful but with flashes of beauty and wonder.
Sam
A little heavy on the teenage romance but it is YA fantasy. I was still swept away by the stories and characters, and I enjoyed the 8 hours that I read it in.
Genevra Littlejohn
Urban fantasy at its best--I'd like to visit the Nevernever, but I doubt I'd like to live there.
Kyle Hamlin
Very engaging world with fascinating characters. A must-read for fans of steam-punk fantasy.
Alex
Nevernever by Will Shetterly (2004)
Relaynie
Borderlands,Bordertown,elves,magic,
Regina Hunter
Impossible to read.
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Waifs and Strays
  • The Last Hot Time
  • Hannah's Garden
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1) Dogland Liavek (Liavek, #1) The Players of Luck (Liavek, #2) Wizard's Row (Liavek, #3)