Start by marking “Armor of Light” as Want to Read:
Armor of Light

Armor of Light

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The heavy summer air of 1595 is full of portents for Elizabeth, England's Queen, and James VI, King of Scotland. A coven of witches secretly controlled by the Wizard Earl of Bothwell has summoned a storm to sink the ship that bears James' bride to Scotland. Though the ship made port, the success of their summoning has emboldened them; the coven is now launching wizardly at ...more
Published October 1st 1988 by Baen Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Armor of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armor of Light

Furio
As many other alternative history works of fiction this book is set in England during the reign of Elizabeth the Great. It was the brightest and yet the most putrid age of British history, a time when history itself could have changed its course: it did, but unfortunately only to a certain extent.
It cannot be a mere chance that so many authors choose this age for their alternative history novels: so many opportunities to make the western world a different place have been wasted then.
(One could a
Wealhtheow
In this alternate history tale, Sir Philip Sidney didn't die at the Battle of Zutphen, and is instead Queen Elizabeth's champion. He is sent to Scotland to defend King James from Bothwell's witchcraft. With him comes Kit Marlowe, whose life he saved in 1593 and who has continued to spy for Walsingham. Five hundred pages later, Sidney and Marlowe defeat Bothwell using some bible verses. The writing is so repetitive, the magic so deus ex machina, that I could barely finish this.

The authors clearly
Margaret
This is a very entertaining historical fantasy set in an alternate magical Elizabethan England. In this world, Sir Philip Sidney did not die after the battle of Zutphen; he recovered from his wounds and lived to save Christopher Marlowe's life at the tavern in Deptford. When the Wizard Earl of Bothwell threatens James VI of Scotland with deadly magic, Elizabeth of England sends Sidney to defend him; Robert Cecil sends Marlowe along to spy, whereupon Marlowe is also pulled into the magical battle ...more
Sineala
Alt-history Elizabethan fantasy starring several people who apparently technically should have been dead at the time (I knew about Marlowe but not anyone else). It was a good read, and I enjoyed seeing magic interwoven with history, but there were way, way too many unexpected POV shifts. Like, sometimes in the middle of a paragraph. It's good -- especially if you liked the Points books, I think -- but a little slow, and honestly I was kind of expecting it to, uh, go there. With Marlowe and the d ...more
Drianne
Jan 17, 2016 Drianne rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, historical
I definitely liked it. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the Points books, but it was really interesting to see some of the things from those being developed here. I liked that it was a 'real' historical setting (with magic). I adored Kit Marlowe (duh). I wasn't as thrilled with some of the side plots, and the POV switching was super-irritating. I didn't want it to end (though by the time it did, the story more than needed to have come to some sort of climax.

...Since Marlowe, well, you know. Di
Alma Southmayd
Aug 04, 2015 Alma Southmayd rated it liked it
Though it has been many years since I read this book, I do remember that I liked it quite a bit. And I wondered if the authors set any more books in this universe.
Denise
Jan 15, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favourites, read-2014
The wonderfully skilled writing team of Melissa Scott and the late Lisa A. Barnett has created a compelling alternate history novel, set in an Elizabethan age where Sir Philip Sidney and Christopher Marlowe escaped their historical deaths and are sent by the queen to Scotland in order to quell a dark, sorcerous power threatening her chosen heir, the king of Scots. Filled with magic and intrigue, this densely woven and brilliantly written book is an absolute delight to read.
Djrmel
This was a re-read from several years ago. The plot is only slightly less convoluted on the second try (I still attribute that to the book having two authors- each had plot twists they refused to surrender), but knowing what was coming allowed me to see the characters in a little more detail. As a fan of Christopher Marlowe's works, I'm a sucker for a story where he lived a longer life, especially one so full of intrigue.
Catherine
Jun 13, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it
Alternate history with fantasy elements in which Sir Philip Sidney and Christopher Marlowe dodge their respective historical deaths and join forces to combat Lord Bothwell. An excellent read which I always hoped would have a sequel.
Just_ann_now
To reread, in the brand-new Kindle edition, now that I've become madly besotted with Melissa Scott and all her works.
Joseph
Aug 16, 2010 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun alternate history of the end of Elizabeth I's reign with magic and religion intermingling.
Tracy
Mar 20, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of my very favorite historical fantasy books ever.
K.J. Charles
K.J. Charles is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2016
Polar Bear
Polar Bear marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
BrokenMnemonic
BrokenMnemonic marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
VeganMedusa
VeganMedusa marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Walter Underwood
Walter Underwood marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Ashlin
Ashlin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Hayley
Hayley is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Meredith Katz
Meredith Katz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Dr. Eric A. Hauser
Dr. Eric A. Hauser rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Kalamah
Kalamah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Kirstie
Kirstie rated it it was ok
May 08, 2016
Steve Hendricks
Steve Hendricks rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
mint
mint marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Tom
Tom is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Sabrina T
Sabrina T marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Callum Smith
Callum Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • The Shadow of Albion (Carolus Rex, #1)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • Cyrion
  • Dark Cathedral (Dark Cathedral, #1)
  • Unicorn and Dragon (Unicorn and Dragon, #1)
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • The Stars Dispose
  • The Tempering of Men (Iskryne World, #2)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • Casket of Souls (Nightrunner, #6)
  • Damiano (Damiano, #1)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...